Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
gently caress yes, Battletech. My first online game was the original MechCommander.

I'll sign up to be a pilot; no pms, so my email is redacted. I'd vote for the Highlanders, but it seems we're pretty much going for the Kell Hounds anyway.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Natasha Kerensky is still a pure monster though, she just gives no gently caress about your special rules, you don't have them anymore.
Really, they should just use the mechanics for fighting Caine from oWoD for her. "You lose."

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The correct next move is broadcast taunting. No use getting ridiculously lucky without rubbing it the gently caress in.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

The Dragon was defeated in an honor duel by a mercenary. There's like a 90% chance he's already committed seppuku. Kinda pointless to insult.
On the other hand, if you really want the poor guy to off himself, you could try respectfully bowing in your mech. That seems to be the go-to move to finish his honour demolishment.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I had to go back to the first posts just to check that in this altered timeline the 17th weren't made up of a group of stiff-upper-lip reserved British sharpshooters with two left feet.

Since they're not, my vote is for them.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Might be worth running the Hunchback as an interdictor for the Rifleman. Not sitting a hex away as a bodyguard, but simply trying to keep roughly between it and the closest opponent so they have to run/jump past through your big gun's range if they want to take it out.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

He sacrificed all his redundancy. If he loses his right arm he will be forced to request hegira, as he has no other weapons he can use.
What is the honourable response to having no weapons left to fight with, either through destruction or not bidding them?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The idea of a pissed off clanner running around kicking 'mech shin with a perfectly serviceable armload of lasers is hilarious.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what "redacted" are thanks to looking at an old novel cover and going "really? Boy, that sure is a dumb-looking element of the cover."

So this is a case where you're pretty much best off waiting to see how badly [REDACTED] shreds in actual play rather than looking it up.
I'd tend to agree. They're something which do not sound in theory as good as they are in practice.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

Yes and no. What you absolutely have to keep in mind about the Clans:

Clan Honor is meant, almost solely and explicitly, to provide a means by which combat prowess decides most things but at the same time minimizes the amount of lives and equipment lost in war.
Worth pointing out also that a Trial of Possession in particular is very useful. In the IS, if you want a new 'mech design or some nice production facilities, you're going to have to drop some forces down there to take them, which will probably end up with destroying or seriously damaging precisely what you're trying to take. Even if it doesn't, there's the risk that whoever once controlled it could just scupper the entire thing rather than let it fall into your hands. With a Trial, you arrange for the battle to take place somewhere else that matches the specifics of what you're after; so if you want a nice 'mech factory, you go hold your Trial in an abandoned factory somewhere in similar conditions. You want a planet, you go hold it somewhere on there where there's nothing to harm, or on another planet entirely that's similar.

It's also supposed to stop wars and grudges between Clans and individual people - a Trial is over, that's the end of that matter. That part doesn't really work so well.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I was under the impression that a crippled 'mech or unconscious pilot is still very much fair game. You don't gain any great honour from killing a helpless warrior, but you don't lose any either, so long as the prior fight has been conducted honourably.

Honestly I think the biggest problem wouldn't be shooting to finish him off, but him being brought down by a tank. That's likely to have pissed someone off.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Ha, I didn't even think about asking for a surrender. Might be worth trying, if just for hilarity purposes given in-game i'm guessing Dusk doesn't know about bondsmen to demand it and we won't be sticking around here next game.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I was thinking a Mad Dog, but they do have arms.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope. Most good Inner Sphere 'Mechwarriors are in their 50s. The Clans just Think Differently (tm). They don't field any warrior younger than 20, and 30 is considered old. If a 'Mechwarrior reaches the ripe old age of 35, the Clans assign him to training the newest generation of warriors (read: potentially that warrior's grandchildren) or to a Solomha second-line "defense" (suicide) unit.
Side Note: This is Yet Another Reason why the Clans gently caress up so terribly. Time is incredibly not on their side. The longer time goes on, the quicker the IS have to catch up technologically (for a few reasons), but this is the big problem; 10 years down the line, all the top notch, experienced, and experienced at specifically fighting the IS, Clan pilots are either booted to training or crapshoot infantry units - basically, anywhere except in the cockpit of 'mechs equal to their skills. Whereas in 10 years IS veterans are even better IS veterans.

For the IS, as time goes on they just get better. But for the Clans, essentially, the level of pilot efficiency they have on day one of the invasion would be largely the same as they have years on, with reasonable, flexible pilots being replaced by freshly trained honour-muppets.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, the thing to remember is that by their very nature IS 'mech pilots (well, and everyone else) are freeborn, i.e. worth very little respect. There's not really any widescale attempts at brainwashing because of that - such bondsmen have worth as labourers and that's it. Those few IS pilots who'll switch sides willingly do so generally speaking because the idea is attractive to them for whatever reason, rather than purposeful standard attempts to convert.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

He then says he intends to name this new force the “Northwind Black Watch” (retarded).
There's actually what I presume is a reason for this. The Black Watch are a pretty famous Scottish regiment with a considerable history goin back to the 18th Century. I'd guess it was chosen to match the whole highlander theme.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
You've unredacted the REDACTED.

Edit; Actually still one in there.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 4, 2011

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I don't think a punch to anywhere else would have been a guaranteed kill. It'd just do damage. If the Dragoon punched an arm or the chest, that's against the ROE but not attempted murder.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Octatonic posted:

That's what I meant. They don't exist in this universe! Sure, the Widowmakers can have a cluster or something classified as dragoons or something, but you don't have Wolf's Dragoons: the political superpower of a mercenary unit that changes Combine doctrine forever and brings everyone to Outreach to shut up and actually fight the Clans.
There's always the chance we might randomly find ourselves killing Star Colonel Jamie Wolf, or something like that.

Anyway, on the basis that deviating as far as possible from canon events and important areas is the best course possible, let's go with B.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
My assumption would be that if we actually start doing damage to the Clans without Comstar, regardless of whether they then decide to pass out the party favours, the end result, either sooner or later, would be an early Jihad, or at least some other means of Comstar going "Come on, guys, you need us! Really, you do! We're important!"

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

Still not feeling the ComGuards here. Even if it is not likely to happen, gonna vote B for Goliath Scorpion action.

Also, did Tejh just put forth an assault on Helm by ComGuards disguised as the Red Corsair when Melissa Steiner, the Kell Hounds and Team Banzai are also heading there under the same disguise? Awkward...
Cue "I'm Spartacus!" jokes.

Might as well go with the ComGuard, though it's not really as though they're going to lose the vote at this point. I have to admit the Marik Militia tempt me, if only for the idea that it isn't going to degenerate into a fight somehow but rather is a piloting/gunnery test to form an honour guard and put on a fireworks show. Though i'd guess we'd still manage to turn that into a fight too.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I think i'm the first alternate on the list, so just a post to say i'm around in case the previous mechwarrior accidentally got vented into space before he got in his 'mech.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks to the generosity of W.T. Fits, i've now got access to pms to coordinate this hopefully ASAP beating.

Glad to be driving such an anthropomorphic 'mech; it means the writeup of the carnage due to befall my poor Wyvern will sound even more horrific. Orders in.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure what Star Wars has to do with anything, their big mechs are slow and seem poorly armed although the AT-ST would be an alright light mech I suppose.
Rip the arms off of one of these and you've pretty much got one.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Now I have a mental image of a few unlucky Urbanmechs trundling through a forest.

Thinking about it, an Urbanmech basically is an Ewok in 'mech form.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Oh gods, first the <REDACTED> show up, and then my Wyvern gets a pulse laser/MG shredding. I guess at least i'm not as hosed as the Champion.

I'd guess based on Fraction Jackson's comments that the Clan 'mechs are going to be trying to jump in and out of maximum effective range, like the Hawk is doing; once we all hurtle towards them for some close range attacks, they'll dart back into the light side of the ship, and the Hawk'll come back over.

Either that or it's off to go gently caress with the engine.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 2, 2011

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

ok, I3 guy, why did you MOVE AWAY FROM THE ENEMY?
I don't think I did? Unless you mean C2, in which case because I would have been horribly destroyed by it.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Well, that's most of my armamen gone. But my Wyvern's right arm was hanging by a thread, so that's not all that suprising.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'd say that the one good thing that comes from being decimated is that there's less likely to be order fuckups, but I think i've provided about 50% of them myself anyway.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Could easily be wrong, but by my count there's only one hex ?2 could be in.

Edit: I am wrong, there's at least two.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

I sent mine in too, and I think Threshold sent his in too. :confuoot:
Yep, mine are in, such as they are.

Putin - Not in MechCommander 1 or 2 to my recollection (actually just started another MC1 go on the back of this). MC2 has Long Toms, which do work like that (plus the horrors of Swarm LRMs).

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Orders are in. I can assure you i've taken a no-win situation and ensured even potentially greater amounts of failure.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Honestly surprised I actually managed to take one out, there; I assumed this turn would start with the Wyvern drifting off into space somewhere. Good to have taken at least one down.

Clan MVPs; The Elementals, for obvious 'mech-destroying abilities.
ComGuard MVP: Kintaro, for Elemental punting in its haters gonna hate stride.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Having been a Welsh lass now floating somewhere above this rock, i'm now Russian. Should be interesting to see what can be done with my armament this time around, though I suspect the words "Fire ER PPC" will crop up in my orders a lot.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Chronologically, Part 2 is actually occurring before Part 1.
So there's a chance halfway through the mission that an armless Wyvern, two Clan 'mechs and a suprised-looking Elemental team could come crashing to ground.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It is the miracle of the disorganised.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I've just come to the conclusion that one of the more humanoid 'mechs must attempt a DFA.

We must ride the pony

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

MadDogMike posted:

Why do I suddenly think these two statements juuuust might be connected? The word "bait" suddenly comes to mind with F2 doing something kinda dumb like standing still. I'd also note moving closer to it would start pulling you into open terrain, which could be... sub-optimal vs. Clan tech ranges. It'd give the King Crab IIC good shots on you if nothing else. Go ahead and shoot at F2 (trap or not that's a "kill me" move in BT if you aren't a fire support mech in good cover), but I sure wouldn't close on it too much.
I think F2 standing still is a simple matter that if it had moved, we'd probably all have reasonable shots at it singly, even with the penalty from movement. Now we're looking at (at least) three 'mechs with a decent shot on us next turn. F3 and F5 can also do what we were initially thinking about and flanking round us; plus it puts us closer to that Hunchback.

I think we'd be better off setting up a firing line along that ridge, at least for a turn, and focusing on F3. Also means those of us in the more zippy 'mechs will have more space to move about in, and hanging back a bit hopefully will concentrate them more so that running around won't get us shot in back ourselves by F1 and F5.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Xmas Future posted:

If you mean staying stationary on the ridge for a turn, that's suicidal, basically everything except the king crab needs to be rushing.
No, I meant only to get up there for one turn.

But everyone is convinced by the F2 plan, so i'll go along with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm happy to go along with everyone else and keep the current results.

• Locked thread