Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

There are rules for everything. The most complex thing we ever calculated the target number for in my group was using a mech to spot for artillery AND orbital bombardment while standing waist-deep in a pool of lava on the deck of an aircraft carrier in heavy storm seas during a sandstorm and a rain of frogs.

Did he hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

What do you think the chances are that MW5 will *actually* limit itself to the few weapons available at Tech level 1, and resist the urge to splurge in later stuff? I would like to hope that we'll get a faithful 3025-era game, but in this day and age I can't help but think that's a silly dream.

I think the more likely tension will be whether they will stay true to the unmodifiable nature of battlemechs or treat them all as omnimechs in terms of customisation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Agent Interrobang posted:

Considering Smith and Tinker is run by several former FASA guys, it wouldn't surprise me if they stay pretty faithful. I also look forward to the hopefully-inevitable Mercenaries spinoff of this game, that would be beyond awesome.

FASA developed Mechwarrior 4.

I care at all for sticking with canon on this issue, or with the assumption that the rules of a tabletop game should be transposed as directly as possible into a video game of the same material.

If it fits in with the campaign for the player to advance from mech to mech and gain more power that way, great. If it makes sense to distinguish between IS and Clan (not this time of course) mechs to emphasise how awesome the Clan ones are, so be it. But I also don't see any harm at all in opening up the game a bit and giving the player universal freedom to customise in the way that Mechwarrior 3 and 4 did.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know if the early tank developers complained about their rivals min/maxing because it outclassed their "proper" designs, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure that's a completely fair analogy. A game isn't real life. It's impossible to design a game system that is perfectly balanced, enough mathematical analysis will always result in optimal solutions. All you can do is offer up a system that won't break as long as you don't go out of your way to do so.

Also it's not like a US tanker in WW2 could swap out his 76mm for an 88m when he saw what the germans were bringing to the table.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Another thing to remember about mechwarrior 5 is that it's been nine years since 4:Mercenaries.

That's why they can get away with a reboot and drop the '5'. A very large proportion of the audience are going to be people who haven't played tabletop or even any of the other computer games - but they will be aware that Mechwarrior was one of those games that people talk about on the internet and is about awesome huge robots shooting each other.

Those are the perfect conditions to get away with 'disarmament' on the ridiculous tech because few people will know what's missing and most who do will appreciate the fact that it isn't there.

e: I'm totally interested, throw up the address

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 30, 2011

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

How many times have you personally been in deadly combat? Before civilization the answer would probably be at least once. Now a vanishingly small percentage of people would answer more than zero. The incidence of organized violence has been declining steadily since the agricultural revolution. By any statistical measurement modern civilization is more peaceful and bloodless than any previous state of human existence.

Actually the incidence of organised violence has been on the rise since WW2. War has become steadily more and more frequent and has effected more and more people, if seldom in the 'total-war between western states' that ramped up in intensity in the run-up to that point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I'll try to avoid derails from now on, sorry guys. I seem to be a major source of track-breakage.

I'm really psyched for the new Mechwarrior game now that everyone has had a turn bashing the BT canon. A reboot could be seriously exciting. I would absolutely love to see what happens in a new canon timeline where the Word of Blake Jihad didn't happen or wasn't as catastrophic. There's certainly room for lots of evolution and conflict now that the Clans are living cheek-by-jowl with the Inner Sphere. In fact I would love to see the Clan homeworlds added to the maps and see the shape of politics in a shiny new era where things aren't quite as bad as they used to be. (But of course people still fight with giant robots.)

(The 40K setting is awesome and awesomely derivative. That is all.)

I don't know where you're getting the idea that they're changing the timeline. The reboot is more about being able to reset the game mechanics and tell the story again to a new generation of players.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p2.html

quote:

But we have some great history that travels to us from the previous versions of MechWarrior, but there are also some things that were artifacts of the era and technology that was available at the time to build those games which are things that we think we really have to avoid. One of those, for instance, in terms of dealing with the types of mechs, is to make sure that each class of mech really has its own unique role on the battlefield. So a light [mech] is not just something you pilot on your way towards a medium, a heavy, and eventually an assault; that a light [mech] has a really different play dynamic, and a reason why in any larger scale game that people are going to want to take lights; the same for mediums and all the way up the scale through the four classes. So we definitely see this, especially when you get into multiplayer, but even in the single-player and co-op, which we hope to incorporate into the campaign, that it really is all based on lance dynamics...

...I'm not sure if we fully know how many different types of mechs or MechWarriors will be in the game. One thing that you did say that I really want to touch on, because I think you hit it there, is that the mechs are the stars. That's another one of those really positive aspects of going back to the timeline we're going back to. Jordan and I have talked at length about how we want to get back to a time where the mechs were so important and so valuable. For instance, the mechs may be so scarce on this planet for House Davion that the house may have the family mech, and that's been passed down for generations almost like a suit of armor.

What's really great about this game is that it looks like we're finally going to get 'proper' urban combat ala the teaser trailer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Polaron posted:

My personal favorite 100 tonner is possibly the Annihilator. Granted, that may just be MW3 nostalgia talking, but I've always liked it.

Those were absolute bastards to fight though. Either you alpha striked them first or the spread of AC shells would knock you on your back and you'd explode before you got back up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

Absolutely. This is the part of the Clan honor system that I really love, and think is a surprisingly not bad idea. Minimizing the force expended on anything but matters of utter national life and death is a pretty good idea if you can get people to go along with it.

No because it's dumb for the same reason that people arguing that the burqa allows women to be treated as people and not sexual objects are dumb; to whatever extent your solution fixes the problem it's far more the cause of the problem.

The honour system would be utterly unnecessary if Clan society didn't venerate combat and warfare above all else.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Does PTN need to talk a bit about how much he's willing to let fluffy stuff override the rules?

From a plot standpoint there's no way the pilots will know that the unconsious guy will wake up in 'one turn'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How many seconds is a turn? Is 20 turns really a long amount of time in the grand scheme of things? (Especially seeing as this is the Starport and therefore the most important real estate on the planet).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Spencerb posted:

I'll bid my rear-facing medium laser only.

If it's dishonourable for him to shoot you in the back and he can't move fast enough to get in front of you this would actually work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Both Mechcommander 1 and 2 are freely available now. They went from several years of being up as ISO's at mechcommander.org with Microsoft being fully aware of it but neither condoning or C&D'ing, and then in Autumn last year apparently something changed and mainstream sites started hosting.

Here's Fileshack's page: http://www.shacknews.com/search?q=mechcommander

e: mechcommander 2 is fun right up to the point where you realise that enemies will target the first unit they see and never switch targets.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 12, 2011

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Duncan Fisher is the man. Did he exist before the Mechwarrior PC games and has he been mentioned in any of the books since?

Nope, he was made up specifically for MW:4.

Check this out http://georgeledoux.com/pastclients/newpage/mechwarriormercena/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Polaron posted:

I've actually been kicking around the idea of doing a Mechcommander Gold LP for a few months now. The problem is, I'm not that good at it. Normal difficulty generally sees half of my mechs trashed to pieces by the end of an average mission, and easy difficulty is just too easy.

Well on the 3rd mission there's the chance to cheese yourself a Madcat. That makes the rest of the game very easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvgSTCAGbIo

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No, no, no, watch the clip. There's a very easy way to use arty strikes to cheese yourself the madcat intact at the cost of 1 mech (salvagable).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

goatface posted:

I've heard they don't care about anything unless it could theoretically be considered competition. That includes anything that even vaguely replicates something they currently sell or makes money from any of their IP. Not sure how a thread would work without significant stat and rules discussion.

Eh, they're not going to care about a thread as long as people don't start copy/pasting straight out of rulebooks.

A Megamek style program for 40k would sent them bnallistic for obvious reasons as it obliviates the need to buy their little plastic men.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyone else thinking of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Will dying on turn 20 count as a win?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That graph really shows how Mechwarrior (4 especially) seemed to undersize the dropships.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

goatface posted:

So do they know how to build jump drives and cheap ground-to-orbit ships, or are they stuck with hundreds of years old ones?

What I'm basically asking is: Why are they still in a loving scarcity society?

We live in a post-scarcity society now but most of the world is still starving.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

While I understand this is for balance (VTOLs prior to this rule were absolute deathtraps that died at the drop of a hat), it does irk a bit. You can shoot a helicopter square in the rotor with a god-damned 150mm cannon twice and the thing will keep going.

Yeah but the concussive effect of a direct hit from a shell of that calibre should kill anyone within anything anyway.

The only other way to balance things is to make helicopters virtually impossible to hit, which would be equally bad.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jng2058 posted:

You know, looking at the Jihad stuff and especially the Dark Ages stuff, I can't help but wonder if it isn't time to do a Gundam style reboot on the Battletech universe. Keep the 'mechs and some of the basic structures and start over from scratch otherwise.

It just seems like after 30 something years, the Battletech is too bogged down to be anything than a tiny niche game, and I think the setting deserves better.

Yeah it does suck that the new Mechwarrior game appears to be slipping away into vapourware.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Rumour has it that the delay is because Pirahna got hired to do the multiplayer for Duke Nukem Forever.

Oh that makes sense in a good way. I mean I heard DNF was poo poo, but nobody was complaining about it being poo poo because of the multiplayer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Malek Deneith posted:

That would be awesome :allears:

PTN - I wish you luck with your job hunt, I know how it feels to be unemployed.

Regarding Mechwarrior Reboot and Harmony Gold - I might be wrong but I believe in past year or two S&T released some statement claiming that they're still working on the game and that Harmony gold was not in fact responsible for the slowdown.

Yeah they did actually work on DNF so it makes sense that everything else was put on hold for that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

wiegieman posted:

I've heard a lot of conflicting things about whether or not Harmony Gold was involved in the MW5 delay, or whether it was something else entirely that S&T couldn't talk about. Does anyone have a definitive "this is what happened and why" they can give?

They're a small studio and got the chance to work on the multiplayer element of Duke Nukem Forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it's anything as simple as them just dropping everything to knock that out and get guaranteed money for x months operating costs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

That's kinda the opposite of what I'm talking about. It sounds like that one Star Trek TNG episode where Picard et. al. were horrified to discover a world they liked was not politically unified. Of course the various nations were in the throes of a horrible war. The Star Wars example sounds similar. In both cases the political disunity of a planet is seen as an unwelcome surprise. A planet-spanning war is either ongoing or inevitable.

This is what we see in reality though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: I wrote wrong thing

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 26, 2011

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

You see, this is why everyone said not to run and turn on pavement.

The next time the thread fights clanners in an urban envirnment they need to be challenged to a mech breakdancing competition.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Polaron posted:

Splitting up might not be a great idea.

After all, these are the Kuritans you're facing. There's probably ninja squads everywhere. Last thing any of you need is to get swarmed by infantry at close range.

Oh yeah, there's no reason you haven't just been lied to about the lack of infantry (unless Poptarts was using a subjective narrative device for the sake of it and was imparting objective information).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

What does the "X" in LB-X stand for, anyway? I assume that "LB" is for "Lubalin Ballistics".

eXtreme

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Also Federated Combine is frankly a better name.

It sounds better, but if you stop for a moment to think about what each of those words mean then it's a bit of a silly name.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Second wave of the Clans is going to go right though Skye to Terra.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chronojam posted:

You confirmed that E was the right choice by the time I made it to the second sentence.

"a swarthy man with a vibrant baritone"?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hey PoptartsNinja that's some pretty awesome dialogue for Fisher. I can hear George Ledoux saying those lines comepletely naturally.

Obligatory link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfR6w0ljrFE

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Well, the game is starting prior to the Clans coming back, and the Clans are allegedly a future release so the later IS stuff is likely scheduled for around the same time.

Though they claim 1 real life year is going to equal 1 battletech year and you'll get new mechs on their actual release year. That seems unlikely. I could see having each year either be broken up into multiple model years or getting one big rear end release a year that adds several years worth of mechs, though.

Given it's a setting reboot they can do whatever they like with the clan invasion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing I care about most is finding out where Cal has gotten to.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everyone can be bad guys.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

What's the in-universe fluff logic in rear armor being so ridiculously weak, anyway? I can understand why it's that way in terms of game balance, but from an in-universe perspective, I can't for the life of me fathom why you'd want the back of your machine to be more vulnerable to enemy fire than the front.

Why would you ever deliberately be facing away from the enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the other hand, it's pretty much what the Americans did to capture Baghdad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baghdad_(2003)#Thunder_Runs

• Locked thread