Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So, uuh, is there any way to get in touch with goons who play MegaMek? It seems like a campaign on that would be tons of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Well, I have been making rumblings at a non-goon friend of mine about a Battletech campaign. I even have the first scenario more or less hashed out. It just needs some MechWarriors to come and blow poo poo up.

I was thinking of running it as kind of an RPG, actually; RPG gunnery rules, Advantages, etcetera...

I might be up for such a thing... You'd have to point me towards which books to read/buy if the RPG elements are especially complex though.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Now that megamek's taught me a little of what's going on, I'll put my name in to pilot something. Maybe we'll have a tank or something I can use to distract fire from proper mechs

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So did we ever decide on something for finding people to play MegaMek? The AI and random scenarios are getting boring.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
gyrojets still wouldn't do much damage without some space to speed up. the net effect would be similar to a shove to the mech, possibly a few holes poked in the ammo hopper, or it ballooning and bursting if they all went off at once.

bullets really, really don't do jack outside of the gun.

Edit: thinking about it, gyrojets would do less damage, since the slower burning explosive wouldn't give the same instant OOMPH before the hopper bursts.

Felime fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 31, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

A solid ton of machine gun ammo going off inside a mech should still cause some damage. Gunpowder is not an explosive (which is true), but enough of it in a highly confined area (say a constricted ammo bin!) will need some place to expand. And having a giant fireball + some scattering bullets bouncing around against the internals of the mech probably aren't good for it.

If you superheated a metal can of machine gun ammo inside a SWAT van, would the ensuing damage from the ammo cooking off destroy the van? Probably not. If the van was full of valuable electronic equipment, would it wreck the poo poo out of it? You bet your rear end. All those rounds are still going to be hitting metallic surfaces and bouncing around, which greatly inrceases the chances they'll hit something important.

(Mechanically though, yeah, it's just the fact that the ammo rules don't scale well on the low end.)

Actually, odds are the tin of ammo wouldn't do much of anything, you'll have a hell of a time actually getting them to all explode at once, and the thing about ammunition is that, without the gun bit, the bullet's quite a bit heavier than the casing, and there's nothing holding the sides in, so they tend to burst out to the side. It would be a severe shrapnel risk, but your electronics would be amply protected by a sturdy computer case.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Tanith posted:

Your ammo is presumably amply protected by several tons of armor, but this is a universe where lasers and missiles and bigger guns are making holes in everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoJAwlUopI

this is what bullets do outside of a gun. Your container is obviously NOT airtight, as it just got holed, so you're going to have to get a majority of them to go off at once to see any effect, and while energy weapons could presumably do that, all you'd see is bursting in your ammo hopper, and that's only from pressure, which isn't going to do anything to the side shored up by internal supports and structure. It's going to burst outward, spill any unexploded bullets, and send you on your way.

Ammunition without a gun will do nothing to anything more than an inch or so away from it. Don't hold a live round, and the only risk is a bad cut or metal in the eye.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I imagine everyone's coms would static a little...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
A Let them call time-out, but you just can't let them pretend we didn't just score a bunch of points.

Of course, if we can get Hanse hitched and score a valuable alliance... A few worlds are a small price to pay.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Agent Interrobang posted:

Aw. :(

No, but seriously, this is starting to get mildly creepy-derail-tastic, so let's move on. I'm pretty much with Defiance Industries on this one, the Gray Death Legion kind of has a history of 'get completely screwed accidentally; somehow make it out okay due to Grayson Carlyle having plot powers.' It's no surprise they got splattered against the Widowmakers.

It was mildly creepy like a page ago. It got LESS creepy when they started talking about manlove.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Voting G. Let us wipe the Caballeros from the face of the IS!

Yeah, I said it. :colbert:

I'm going to vote G Mainly because I'd like to see how Poptarts writes the death's commandos

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So, did we ever have a followup of our MegaMek session? I tried to set up a server, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to work for anyone else, as all it's giving me is an internal IP.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Axe-man posted:

if you ahve a router you need to forward the port then get your external IP address, and then you are good to go tonight i have to work so i can't host :)

Anyone with PMs willing to help me troubleshoot and make sure everything works from outside?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
ooohkay, I'm pretty sure I've got this working.

Server up at

port 3074

Edit: and running version 0.34.9

Felime fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 3, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I've got a 35.21 game going at:

Seventyone
Dot
One.eight.eight
point
three-seven
peroid
onehundredthirtyeight

And, uh... What's the IRC server's address? (I think I've got a copy of mIRC installed somewhere...)

port?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

If it makes you feel any better, in the previous game my legless near-death Awesome that had been doing nothing for 10 turns got a through-armor crit on Shiva's nearly fully armored assault mech to detonate his SRM ammo and blow him up giving me a miracle win.

You think that's a miracle win? We were playing around with the aerotech rules, and shadowdragon managed to turn a 4v2 into a win. He scratched both my plane's armor and the distraught pilots crashed out of grief.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pure Kamikaze posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhk

This is what is happening right as we speak... except with mechs and not clint eastwood.

Exactly like that, complete with shooting him while he's down, 'cause he twitched funny.

Felime fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 4, 2011

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Let me tell you about every pilot in the goddamn inner sphere...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I always find the pilot anecdotes more impressive when they do stuff in a total shitbox of a machine. When you have some pilot who gets a bunch of kills in a Devastator that's one thing. When they're doing it in a Commando? Holy poo poo that means they basically sandblasted every scrap of armor off each kill.

They are in a total shitbox of a machine. I was talking about pilot-pilots, AERO pilots. Those things crash if you so much as sneeze on them.

Is it bad that I kinda like the commando? It's worked well as area denial to light jumpjetty mechs.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Not at all. Some variants of the Commando are very solidly put together 25 ton mechs; i mean, at tech 1 and 25 tons you're not going to get a worldbeater, but they can play very nice roles in a lance. The variants with a large laser in them make a surprisingly vicious light sniper; the variant with two SRM-6s (a possible alpha strike over 30 damage for the -3A; whenever you can deal more damage in a round than you weigh in tons, you are a pretty nasty customer in a brawl!) is great for dissuading mechs from coming nearby and I often pair it with a Catapult or some other missile boat as a cheap guard. Two Catapults and two Commandos is a low-BV but really effective fire support lance!

As Chronotron learned when 2 alphas from my COM-2D completely wrecked his jenner. the 2D is a tough little SOB and can put out almost as much hurt has the more fragile 3A.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Most plausible excuse for why laser comms don't lead to magical headshotting machines would be to assume that the reciever has some sort of tracking device on it, which isn't amazingly far-fetched as long as it's something difficult to detect otherwide.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I imagine they'll only start downing buildings once the hostages are rescued, so run for the border as soon as you get them!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Quick, unwrap the gifts and see!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not sure why my bold tags broke for the last three vehicles. :psyduck:

I know smilies are limited, maybe tags as well?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
a LOT like tripping and dying on a go for it.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Well it's all well and good sanding down the armour, but at anything after Level 1 play (IE: what we play constantly) the problem is that you've had a turn or two of sanding and I TAG'd your <thing> for the four Arrow IVs in the air last turn. Really the ideal for a Bug-hunter is taking the target down *before* it gets into place to TAG/spot/backstab/whatever.

Pretty sure we're only really discussing Level 1, the One True Techlevel, and where we're at in the LP right now. You and your clantech can :frogout:

(Seriously though, Level 1 is the most fun)

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not Clantech..... *everyone* has TAGs and the like from 3033 in the main timeline, so PTN's version will mean that it takes longer to arrive. Either way, it's soon going to be something the thread will have to learn how to counter fast.

Nope, one more frontal assault will definitely do the trick. ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH MEN!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Wanted to make this comment as well. :golfclap:

Also, I'm finally caught up with this thread. As one who never played a BattleTech or MechWarrior game in my life, I find this a very compelling thread. All I know about BattleTech is what I've picked up by nerd osmosis on another message board and some wiki binging on Sarna, so...

All I know about Star Trek BattleTech I learned from PoptartsNinja's thread.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

....sorry?

"'Cause there's no way I've been working on it this whole time or anyth [Separate thought, presumably as he rolls a TAC on one of your heads] eeewwww, that's probably gonna hurt."

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Brandy Collins posted:

A Warhammer knocked out of a fight by a kick to the head is a beautiful thing. I guess that's how Camacho's Caballeros get the job done! :ese:

This thread has made me wish that I knew anyone remotely close by who owned some BattleTech books. MegaMek solo play is just not sating my thirst for giant weapons platform vs giant weapons platform combat, though that might have something to do with the fact that the RNG seems heavily biased toward bots and against humans.

I don't suppose there's room for another MechWarrior for the thread? I don't have PM, so email = relatedtobarnabas @ gmail . com

For the record, we've got an IRC channel going on for megamekkery (#megamek on synirc)

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thomas Hallas was too timid. We'll see how Duncan Marik does.

Something tells me this universe is going to be very awesome.

I forget, were you a 'trained' writer or something? Because I would read the hell out of a PopTartsNovel. I've certainly done much, much, worse... *cough* Stackpole *cough* Salvatore *cough*

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Do you have a catchy, Anglo-european sounding name? A nice middle initial? Does it look good in raised, glossy letters? Then you too ca-Oh... you probably want to be a good author...

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I see a really happy lizard

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sheliak, a planet in Rasalhague, had no 'Mechs or militia, so they challenged the Ghost Bears to a game of football. It didn't end well.

I guess, at that point you just hope you have a properly neutral ref, and they all get red-cards for doping.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
FFFFFFFFFFF Quote!=edit

first time for everything :smith:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

See above.

Also: crazy yank sports, ball isn't even round.

Hell, I'm a yank, and I thought it was soccer-football. Totally feasible for <REDACTED> to win 84-3.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

While we are waiting for that clarification; here's the trailer for a new "mech" game.

Not Battletech and eh, it looks kinda meh, so far.

It looks like a mix of art direction cribbed from battletech and generic anime "fly and skid more than actually walking" poo poo.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Urbanmech: Like a hunchback with no mobility and a third the armor!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

radintorov posted:

Just like Urbanmechs, Hunchbacks are designed for close range combat, possibly in urban environment or an equivalent with lots of cover.
Used like regular 'mechs, they tend to die easily to concentrated long-range fire, but if you manage to close in on the enemy (which is easy to do in an urban environment, thanks to jumpjets), then they don't tend to last long.
Even more so with the Hunchback II: if the Hunchback is a glass cannon, that clan version is a paper-maché nuclear cannon. :black101:

paper mache holds up rather well to bullets when compared to glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Let alone one a few hundred feet away from anything worth shooting at.

There's mechs left! They're just on Cappella. :smugdassian:

• Locked thread