Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ZeeToo posted:

:golfclap: Yes, I know where you got your format from.

Wanted to make this comment as well. :golfclap:

Also, I'm finally caught up with this thread. As one who never played a BattleTech or MechWarrior game in my life, I find this a very compelling thread. All I know about BattleTech is what I've picked up by nerd osmosis on another message board and some wiki binging on Sarna, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Alas, poor Engine Joe. Still, I guess having Sir gently caress You kick the Warhammer's head off was worth it... Maybe. Probably. Most likely...

I dunno, I want to root for the Space Chinese, but after this round, I don't know if I can...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I would have rooted for the Space Chinese before this round, but now my heart just isn't in it. Normally, I would be all on top of Space Chinese kicking the crap out of Space Mexicans, but after all that happened this round, I just can't.

Maybe if the next scenario is more Space Mexicans versus Space Chinese, I'll unfurl my :china:, depending on the mission, but not right now.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Modern weapons are classified as primitive and do pretty much nothing. You'd need to hit it with a tac nuke (which would kill it pretty dead).

Why do I know this? Because "Modern tank vs mech who would win?" always resulted in autistic posters giving physics dissertations and so they made up a rule in TW that says "21st century weapons besides nukes don't do poo poo."

Yeah, I never did get why this was the case when reading about Mechs and the real world physics thereof... How come Machine Guns and Autocannons can do damage to Mechs (however piddly in the case of Machine Guns) while tank cannon bounce off? :iiam:

I guess the devs not wanting to put up with that poo poo anymore is as good a reason as any, if not keeping with the fluff...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The biggest reason for the blanket 'modern weapons don't do poo poo' was because every time it comes up it turns into a huge derailment of whatever else was going on. Since that's exactly what's happening, I'd also rather conversations stay clear of "modern technology vs. magic space technology."

Yeah, I've seen sperging of that sort when people on a forum I frequent were trying to write a BattleTech meets Tom Clancy's Ryanverse crossover. Oh the arguments they had on whether or not Abrams tanks and teen series fighters (F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18) could outfight Mechs. They did decide that the missiles fired by those fighters would qualify for TAG, but whether they would do any damage? :spergin:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Finally caught up with this thread, and it seems like just in time too, seeing as how the end of the mission was just posted. MVP for the Goons has to be Skinwalker, after the Justice Foot got an honorable MVP. Gonna have to go with the Zhukov for the Death Commandos.

Seems to be a pretty Pyrrhic victory for the Caballeros, though. 3/4 of the hostages dead, all women and children, including the wife of the CO. It remains to see whether or not the son survived as well... Also, RIP Engine Joe. You will be missed. Most of the remaining mechs are in pretty bad shape, but it's almost all armor damage and that can be repaired...

Wonder which of the salvaged mechs Clueless will get to replace his family heirloom Hunchback. Guess he has a new one now, huh?

Waiting to see the repercussions of this battle, the state of the Sphere, how far the Clans have gotten, and the choice of next theater. Probably gonna vote Lyrans for the next theater... Wanna see some protagonist Capellans and Combine eventually, though. Maybe after the Lyrans are done, I guess. Will probably be fun watching the goons be the ones running the Death Commandos, after all. Other forces would work too, though.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 22, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Before I forget, what, exactly, was Justin's plan before it went fubar? You've mostly just implied that it would have been less...bloody.

Seems to be just to kidnap the kids, get the Caballeros out of the repair bay, capture it when they were attempting to rescue the kids, then present them with a fait accompli in the form of hostages taken plus mech bay captured, forcing them off the world... Or something like that.

As for the vote, I'm gonna go with B. Justin Xiang is smart enough to play Max off of Romano and awesome enough to pull it off. Romano can be a lot crazier and worse than Max, so having him in the background, possibly to have a limit on Romano's excess, would be a good idea. The choice would probably give the best option for the Capellans, and seeing as how we'll be playing as them eventually, I'd like to see them in a better position, I guess. Dumping on them all the time gets old, or something like that...

Also, is it just me, or does the idea of Justin with Romano make anyone else's skin crawl?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 22, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Really lucky shots this turn, probably gonna need a lot more of it to survive against the Clans...

Agreeing with the whole offer surrender thing, preferably after blowing off that arm that he bid to fight you with. Maybe offer a surrender this turn, then if it isn't accepted by Star Colonel Dusk, blow the arm off and demand it again next turn. You are attempting to stall for time for the Dropships to get powered up, right? Then stall all you can out of this...

If you guys get a Clan prisoner and a semi-damaged Clan mech out of this, along with getting some Steiners out of the line of fire, you should receive some sort of commendation or something, provided you survive, of course. Loving the whole Khan Caesar of Clan Steiner thing too. Amusing fluff is always fun to read.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

If they scrape this one out, the Representative to the Estates-General for Furillo (one Julian Silverberg) motions survivors be awarded the Commonwealth Star. Anyone who dies, of course, should get the Commonwealth Medal of Honor and be inducted in to the Knights of Donegal.

Cmon, "provided you survive?" you gotta reward dead guys more.

Totally forgot about that. By all means, honor the dead with greater commendations. The provided you survive bit was in reference to anyone in the lance surviving, since if you guys all bite it, then there's no one to bring the captured Clanner and his mech back to Lyran space.

Unless of course, Caesar Steiner comes riding out of the Dropship to attempt a pickup or something like that... Still, I doubt that the Steel Vipers would allow those two Dropships to just take off after taking out the Command Lance... Though I guess the Colonel did bid everyone except Caesar in defense. Guess that means he receives the opportunity for honorable withdrawal, or whatever the Clan term is...

EDIT: ^^^ Doubt that the Wolfhound would be able to get around the Star of Assaults guarding the Dropships. Though I guess they did say that they wouldn't interfere until Beta Star was taken out. Provided that the Command Star lets you pass, this would be awesome. Still, why settle for the arm, when you can have the entire mech, with all that awesome tech, after winning it from the clanner driving it? Defiance Industries could probably do a lot more with an entire mech to reverse engineer...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 29, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm probably not going to get this done before I have to leave for work. I was afraid of that. :(

Dammit, now I'm gonna be :f5:'ing this thread like crazy until I have to leave for class and take a midterm... :argh:

Where do you live anyway, PTN? Probably someone on the West Coast, if the time differentials are right... You work an afternoon shift or something?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

I like how Breen trolls Leutnant Samantha Clover (Mukaikubo) for shooting into the woods.

Yeah, that's hilarious. Still, the Star Commander might be able to take one or both of them out though. He does have a Bloodname after all...

Anyway, really crazy luck for the 2nd Donegal this past turn. The Battle Cobra disabled due to lucky Gyro damage? Nice. That battle is effectively finished, right?

Now all you need to do is to claim both the Battle Cobra and the Thunderchild as salvage and get Caesar Steiner to pick it up, and even if the entire Command Lance buys it, there will be some good coming out of this engagement. Would claiming Knox as a bondsman also give you access to his mech? If so, you guys should argue the point with Breen. Might buy a turn or two...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

That makes perfect sense, but I was imprecise. The AFFC rank chart does not contain Colonels. Goes straight from Kommandant to Leftenant General. The hell? Perhaps a typo that was canonized.

So is there an equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel in this rank structure? Hauptmann is Captain and Kommandant is Major, so what's their Colonel equivalent?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

FM: FS and FM: LA both have an equivalent ranking table in them. The enlisted stuff is pretty straight forward, but here's what officer ranks look like:

code:
AFFS                  AFFC                  LCAF
Leftenant Colonel     Leftenant Colonel     Leutnant-Colonel
Colonel               Leftenant General     Colonel
Leftenant General     Hauptmann General     Leutnant-General
Major General         -                     Hauptmann-General
General               -                     -
Marshal               Marshal               Kommandant-General
Field Marshal         Field Marshal         General
Marshal of the Armies Marshal of the Armies General of the Armies

So why is a Lieutenant General lower than Major General? I thought that both the AFFS and the LCAF imitated NATO ranks, so the AFFC should as well. The lack of a Colonel rank in the AFFC still puzzles me... A jump from Lieutenant Colonel straight to two Star General? That irks me.

If I'm remembering my NATO officer ranks correctly, Brigadier General is a one Star (O-6), Major General is a two Star (O-7), Lieutenant General is a three Star (O-8), and a full General is a four Star (0-9). Marshal would probably be equivalent to General, so that would be an O-9 as well. Field Marshal would be above that (O-10) and then finally the Marshal of the Armies.

Also, since the Lyrans seem to be imitating German ranks, why don't they style their Colonels Oberst?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Because that's how NATO does it? It all dates back to the Roman tendancy to call the direct subbordinate officers the "Lieutenants"/Tribunes of the Imperator/Dux/Legatus (depending on period).

No, in NATO, Lieutenant Generals (3 Star, O-8) outrank Major Generals (2 Star, O-7). See my earlier post:

GhostStalker posted:

If I'm remembering my NATO officer ranks correctly, Brigadier General is a one Star (O-6), Major General is a two Star (O-7), Lieutenant General is a three Star (O-8), and a full General is a four Star (0-9).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Canopus250 posted:

Also ShadowDragon just stop with your tangent. You are having an argument with somebody who agrees and nobody else cares.

Actually, I care a bit about it. Seeing someone utterly trash the utter stupid of BattleTech "technology" is amusing to me. Gives me more ammunition to use against people who attempt to justify stuff like how Mechs can't be damaged by contemporary weapons and the like. So don't presume stuff like this.

As for the update (nice timing, too), things look like they're gonna go bad in a hurry for the 2nd Donegal. The Copperhead (nice name, was that the one the contest winner named?) beign piloted by the Bloodnamed Star Commander looks like its about to gently caress poo poo up, even though he went for a 1 on 2. The Banshee is going to have to go against another superior machine after getting hit pretty hard by the Battle Cobra, and the Wolfhound is in serious trouble against a (presumably) long rang Mech. Things ain't looking too good...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

The justification is because the fluff says so. Arguing about this is about as productive as arguing about light sabers in star wars.

True, but then again, I've always been a sort of guy who obsesses over Military technology. I understand that the devs have flat stated this point, and I can accept the fact that Mech armor must be insanely good to stand up to the punishment that gets dished out in the battlefields of the Inner Sphere, but some things just irk me. Does this mean I'm thinking too much about a game?

Yes. But then again, I only got into BattleTech fluff and stuff a couple of years ago at most, having never played any of the games. And that first introduction to the fluff was people on a forum arguing back and forth about whether or not a couple lances of BattleMechs could take out a modern US (and allied) armored force, with attached air and naval support. The answer was a resounding yes, even if the modern force would take horrendous casualties in doing so. Fire control that actually works, a modern C3i net, drone support, missiles that can be launched BVR, weapons systems not being limited by arbitrary range, air support worth a drat, ECM, satellite coverage, I could go on.

This thread is actually the first time I'm seeing BattleTech be played, so it doesn't have the same nostalgia attachment for me that it presumably has for you guys. I guess I'm just more interested in the fluff than the game mechanics, but that still doesn't prevent me from arguing about stupid when I see it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 3, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Actually, if you think about it, it means that Modern Army Vs. BattleTech 3025 still comes out in favor of the modern army.

Even if our weapons do only deal 1pt of damage to BTech armor no matter how powerful they are short of nukes, it just changes the nature of the game. Instead of the 155 howitzer being the king of our battlefield (well, it still massively outranges anything in the BTech arsenal,) the solution then becomes to mount an array of much smaller weapons - like, say, 30mm autocannons - on our modern chassis. Apparently our armor is crap against BTech's weapons, but that's fine. If any hit with a 3025 weapon bigger than an MG is a one-hit kill, we just scale down the armor to the point where it really only protects from basic shrapnel and MGs, making our vehicles fragile speeders, and depend on movement penalties and cover to protect them. Fire off accurate arrays of 1-pt weapons, and use massed fire, combined arms, electronic warfare, massive range advantage, UCAVs, beyond-visual-range attacks from cruise missiles, and battlefield coordination to bring down the Knightly Titans of Battle.

Look above you. I basically just said the same thing a minute or two before you did. Great minds, eh? :hfive:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Brandy Collins posted:

1 planet worth of resources versus ~2,000 planets worth? I don't care how much better some of our technology is compared to theirs, those numbers are going to annihilate us as soon as they realize that they need to swarm to win.

Piranha principle. If any of the Great Houses send enough forces to entirely wreck our poo poo (and I mean entirely, just one Regiment probably wouldn't be enough), then they risk taking troops away from a vital defensive line protecting them from the other Great Houses and then get pushed back like crazy when those other Great Houses decide to invade. The Great Houses never agree to a ceasefire just to stomp one drat world into the ground. Also, if one of the Great Houses decided to go after us for our vaunted technology, either the other Great Houses would send forces to gently caress them up for attempting to get a technological leg up, or ComStar would ruin their poo poo.

Trust me, the forum where I first got introduced to BattleTech has thought a lot about these things... Probably doesn't help that the reason they think about this poo poo was that all this grew out of a what-if scenario posited by someone about what would happen if a bunch of Periphery pirates from Port Krin stumbles across a Tom Clancy Ryan-verse Earth...

The general conclusion was:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

drat straight. :hfive:

The TACs alone would bring down 'mechs.

Then we'd start working on reverse-engineering all the "Holygodthisisawesome" tech, while roffling our waffles at the "holygodthissucksballs" level of understanding of that same 'tech, and soon be fielding 'mechs wearing the stars and stripes and the Union Jack and what-have-you with sane UIs.

Ahhh. If only. :)

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 2, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

And no, they will not "swarm to win." That's really frankly retarded, swarming one insignificant world that stubbornly refuses to just give up when you have vast interstellar empires to run, and that said swarming would necessitate leaving tracts of your interstellar empire unguarded, potentially open to your enemies.

Plus, we do have nukes, and we wouldn't hesitate to use them on your DropShips as they approach orbit.

Yup, this too. Seriously, ShadowDragon, are you reading from the same forums that I am? Great minds, once again. :hfive:

EDIT: Holy poo poo...

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Goddamn, are we like, some kind of complimentary sine-wave or something, coming to the same conclusion the other is coming to while the other is typing?

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Amusingly, if ComStar decided to try and wreck our poo poo, we'd wreck their poo poo (since they probably wouldn't send more than a Level 3,) then grab their LosTech 'mechs and when the Great Houses finally got around to coming for us, we'd be fielding an unholy fusion of Tech 2 BattleTech and 2010 modern warfare.

It would be a curbstomp on par with the Clan Invasion of 3038.... Until they do realize that if they don't raze our Earth flat immediately, we'll (a) soon be fielding our own DropShips in-system and mining Mars and our asteroid belt to extend our resources, and (b) sooner or later we'll manage to capture a JumpShip with one of those purloined dropships captured in a daring deck-to-deck commando raid, and be expanding to nearby star systems. Which means that they probably would send enough forces to zergrush our poo poo. :(

But it'll be fun while it lasts! :) (Plus, there's always the chance we can hire a 'merc unit away from them... I bet the Dragoons or the Kell Hounds or the ELH would be willing to throw in with us in exchange for technological upgrades.)

Oh, the ELH or the Dragoons would definitely throw down alongside us... Especially since we are in control of Terra (albeit an alternate one that got ported to the BattleTech universe in some way...), and since Terra is seen as the Seat of the Star League and those two mercenary groups have a vested interest in wanting to protect Terra...

Also, I dunno about other people's interpretations of the Combine, but would certain members of the DCMS and the leadership be unwilling to attack us because of Glorious Nippon? I mean, the leadership of the Combine claim descendancy from an Admiral Kurita in the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II, so they might be unwilling to attack their ancestors. Doubly so if there's still any sort of fealty paid to the Emperor of Japan in the Combine.

There's also the fact that there's a sizable force of Azami Muslims in the Combine. What will they do when they realize that we have a Mecca that wasn't destroyed by Stefan Amaris during his takeover of Terra? More musings from the other forum where this was brought up...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 2, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I swear, I'm not! I don't even know what forums you're talking about, nor do I frequent any BTech forums.

Great minds. :hfive:

A shame. Then again, most of this stuff isn't coming directly from me, just from that forum filtered through me. Still, it does have a lot of my own thoughts in there, so, great minds, I guess.

quote:

I think you mean "throw in with us," instead of "throw down with us," since to "throw down" with someone means you're engaging in hostilities against them, as opposed to engaging in hostilities in support of them. But yeah. They'd be throwing down with the Great Houses, alongside us.

So, that's two of the greatest and most powerful, and most prestigious, merc units in the IS throwing in with us... We'd still probably lose if it came to a zergrush, but that would probably cripple the war-fighting ability of any Great House that tried, leaving them easy pickings for their enemies. Hence, they wouldn't. (Try, that is.)

Yeah, that was a typo. We'd probably have an aegis due to them for a bit. Enough to hold off any contenders for a while. Also, I forgot about Snord's Irregulars. They'd probably show up and throw in with us as well just to get a gander at all the miscellaneous stuff that they've been hunting all over the Inner Sphere for.

quote:

Try to take it back from the infidels? Declare jihad on our hertic false muslims with their false Mecca? Not give a whole lot of a good goddamn because space-muslims aren't modern-day islamic fanatics In Space? I dunno, I wouldn't count on something like that doing much of anything.

I dunno, I figured that you might see some defections to our side just so they could fulfill their obligation for a haji (or however that's spelled). I would think that they would come just to protect Mecca from another attack that would almost definitely ruin it again...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Somehow I don't see entire DCMS units defecting just to protect one city on the planet potentially being invaded. Just... Seems a bit unlikely to me.

Also, why did Stefan Amaris destroy a big rock?

I dunno, The Azami were pretty much given free reign by the Coordinator, IIRC, as long as they provide some regiments for him to fight with. They might defect if it gets them to finally be able to make a pilgrimage to Mecca, they might not.

And I think Amaris destroyed Mecca so that he wouldn't have any focal points of opposition against his rule during his takeover of Terra. The Kaaba certainly qualifies, along with probably the Vatican as well... I might just be remembering this wrongly, but it certainly makes sense to me...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

WarLocke posted:

This plan is likely to get us shot to poo poo, but I think it's the best option right now. :911:

Good luck. Remember, if one or all of you go down or die fighting, you did it in defense of a vital Lyran world and protecting at least 2 Steiners. That's gotta count for something, right?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 2, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

DeepThrobble posted:

Silly me, thinking that seeing over a hundred new posts meant that some interesting turn had taken place in the game~

Well, an update happened... You could always comment on that...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Patlabor actually treated the mech analogs pretty well (they're used in all sorts of industry as haulers, and the series focuses on a SWAT-style team of police who use them as heavy armor) but gets pretty retarded with the stereotypical anime love triangle poo poo.

I think Ghost in the Shell handled the limited Mechs that they had pretty well... They were mainly AI driven platforms that could hold a single person in them and were decent fire support. Plus they were cute as all hell. Tachikomas are awesome.

KnoxZone posted:

Next turn is going to be really exciting. This is where poo poo starts to get real. Too bad MechWarrior Knox isn't around to see the glory....

Actually, according to the fluff in the last update, you were still there. Withdrawing and flipping the bird at the mech that challenged the Wolfhound, but you're still in the vicinity of the fighting. You'd probably still be able to see everything that went down...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 3, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Gingoskophot posted:

What is this beautiful thing and where do I get it?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too... Would go great with my love for all things Tiberian Sun and the new Tiberium Wars LP that A Pair of Ducks has going...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Calling out the Clanner challenging the Wolfhound is probably the best way for it to survive... No way are you gonna last long against a Heavy/Assault that has long range weaponry...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

paragon1 posted:

He should bid the sound of one hand clapping, that would be good for a laugh.

Funny you should say that, because my hand is flexible enough to make a sound of one hand clapping...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Great, now go use it to win a fight with a genetically engineered soldier in a giant robot.

But I'm not one of the BattleMech pilots facing the Clans right now... Besides, transmitting the sound of one hand clapping over a radio wouldn't be enough to satisfy anyone. They'd probably believe it was some other sound re-purposed as the sound of one hand clapping. I'd have to get out of my Mech and show them me clapping with one hand, which would leave me hideously vulnerable...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I am, though it's not completely official for another month that was the last real hurdle.

Congrats, my friend!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Oh dear, this was quite a lovely turn for the 2nd Donegal. The Banshee gets decapitated due to a random stroke of Clanner luck. The superior Wolfhound pilot loses a leg while backing down a hill...

Still, you shoved the Bloodnamed Star Commander off the map and made him forfeit his bid... I guess that counts for something, right? All you guys have left to deal with for a Partial Victory are two Heavy Mechs with two damaged Assaults, a Light missing a leg, and a damaged Tank. You might be able to pull it off... Maybe...

Really poor luck for the Master Sergeant, though. Feel bad for the guy.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's going to be happening more frequently whenever the Clans turn up. They're not all as naive as the Steel Vipers.

Yeah, makes sense to me. Decap the command elements and a breakdown of the chain of command will follow, resulting in general confusion and easier prey for the Clans.

So, what's the current running tally for this one to end? The 2nd Donegal Command Lance all down by turn 8?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Also gently caress Liao. We get taken out by the Clans so we go to hide on the rear end end of the Sphere? No! We should be playing the Genyosha next, and then if they lose, we play as some frightening gestalt of them and the 2nd Donegal commanded by a Caesar Steiner and Yorinaga Kurita team-up.

I'd go for this. Would be very interesting to read, to say the least...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wow, guess this will get dragged out a bit longer... Muk challenging the Clanner to a Mech fistfight and the resulting fight itself will be hilarious. And it'll eat up some precious time, too!

That Wolfhound takes a licking but keeps on ticking. Might actually do something against that Heavy Clan Mech before going down in a blaze of glory.

The Rommel looks to be in a world of hurt, though. A shame, since the Clans think armor is beneath them and probably wouldn't respect the tank crew if they bailed out...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 8, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Artificer posted:

Wouldn't the dezgra status of the tank make it not count for the purposes of breaking Zellbrigen? It may be possible that the Thunderchild pilot is allowed to vent his anger on some tank...

That's why I said it was a shame. Even though the tank helped take down two Mechs, the Clanners are probably still gonna treat the crew like crap, not worthy of making bondsmen or gunning them down when they attempt to bail...

Also, I totally approve of the Colonel calling out Knox on his bullshit. The Star Commander said that Knox was withdrawing, but here he is, wrecking the Rommel. Sure, that might be fine with the Clanners, but to the 2nd Donegal, that should be a breach of the Clanners own honor rules.

Also, that Master Sergeant totally has to get some sort of commendation or medal or something for taking out the Battle Cobra and then dying in the line of duty... Never forget :911:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Speakjng on behalf of Duke Daniel Brewer, CEO of Defiance Industries, we propose he be nominated for the Commonwealth's highest award, the Commonwealth Medal of Honor, and membership in the Knights of Donegal.

He will also, of course, be used in a new advertising campaign for the Banshee-S as the first machine to destroy a Clansman.

Works for me. As long as Caesar Steiner gets off the planet, it'll all be good.

Arquinsiel posted:

That makes me sad. It deserves a more :black101: ending.

Makes me sad as well. Having the Rommel tank wipe the floor with the smug bastard would be awesome and a fitting end for the tank crew.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Maybe if Knox is foolish enough to stand still long enough for them to recover from the stun, they can aim one last shot right between his Thunderchild's legs. :black101:

Does the venerable Rommel even have a chance to recover from that stun before Knox attempts to finish it off? Even if he is knocked off the tank, the drive train is all but demolished, and it's got crazy to hit penalties. I would love it if it could get another shot off at Knox with its big gently caress off autocannon, but I doubt it can do anything at this point.

I'd be totally behind the tank crew bailing out and challenging Knox to a fistfight for apparently not understanding the term "withdrawing". That would be the best way for the tank crew to get out of there alive... There's practically no chance that the Clans will claim them as bondsmen because they drive a tank, right?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Since we are all throwing out predictions, here is mine:

The tank crew is all died when the Nova stomps all over them. Nobody remembers them.

I reject your reality and insert my own.

The tank crew will call out Knox for apparently not knowing the definition of "withdraw", get smacked around for a turn, then plants an AC20 round right into where his wrecked Right Arm would be. For having a role in taking out 2 Clan Mechs, they get claimed as bondsmen when the Rommel invariably gets wrecked.

Still, tales about their valor get back to the rest of the Commonwealth, and the entire tank crew gets put up for a commendation.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

And every crew member is needed to restrain Caesar Steiner from busting out of the dropship and laying waste to everything in a fifty kilometer radius.

I would love to see this, though. Caesar Steiner busting down the ramp of the dropship, shooting Gamma Star mechs in the back. Then again, he wasn't bid by Colonel Rossi initially, right? If he attacks, would that be breaking zell?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

raverrn posted:

Please. Dumb motherfucker couldn't even kill a tank right.

drat straight. Anyway, can't wait to see what that Rommel will do next turn. Go out in a blaze of glory, raverrn. Go and take out Knox while you're at it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ha, Steiner rules dueling... I love it. And you're managing to stretch out the turns as well! Good show.

Anyway, good to see that the tank crew bailed out, though the Rommel got destroyed... Not sure what other effect they can have on the battle, but good to see that they made it out.

The Wolfhound continues to impress, even if it did get destroyed this turn. The pilot wasn't killed, was he? Seeing as how he was claimed as a bondsman, I think not. Since the Colonel is the only target left available, I would assume that the pilot of B4 is going to go after him next. Challenge him to a Steiner rules duel as well! Play for time.

• Locked thread