Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting for Kell Hounds and a Griffin for maximum opportunities for :black101: against all Houses and Clans. At least, till my beloved Ghost Bears stop hibernating and start wrecking everybody's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I haven't played BT since the mid 90s, so I can't offer any extensive advice besides generalities, but you'll want to exploit House Kurita's natural tendency to use lovely tactics. Don't let them go one on one with you since they'll be better pilots than your Green Kell Hound mechwarriors. A lucky hit on the Jenner will mean you guys could be out numbered fairly quickly. Also, though you want to close with your Jenner and Vulcan, don't let yourselves be isolated. Even if the Kurita forces are just lights, if they are fielding a Panther your rear end could get lit up if they cut you off from your heavier friends.

Show those goddamn snakes how the boys from Arc-Royal roll.

Good hunting, Hounds.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Axe-man posted:

if you dump the ammo you lose the sweet sweet self conflagration joy.

With only one mg? Fixed that for you there.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

W.T. Fits posted:

I keep seeing people who're familiar with the system going on and on about how one lucky shot to your ammo will utterly destroy you.

Without getting into rules specifics, just how "lucky" would one have to be to even make that shot to begin with? Are we talking "the dice hate you" lucky or "the enemy can target and hit a specific spot like that with no trouble" lucky?

Unless you were a me, who had a habit of getting his face melted by a PPC shot to the cockpit more than what is statistically likely.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just remember, you guys are mercs. You can't spend your pay if you're dead. Knock out the hover tanks then bug out. If you can pick off the enemy mechs go ahead, but don't get distracted by them. Secondary Objectives are just that, secondary. PTN wanted to be saucy and brought out a drat heavy mech piloted probably by a Vet level pilot, so be wary.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also, but is anybody else feeling Hikaru Yoshita is the BattleTech Universe version of Korvat? :3:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pladdicus posted:

Looking at the map, is anyone else expecting that we're hitting some kind of assault lances flank? I don't know, seems like there are far more off map or something :tinfoil:

Just you fuckers wait, one day you guys will be squaring off in a company level pitched battle over a fixed objective and then on Turn 6 it's all INNER SPHERE DOGS! I AM STAR CAPTAIN SERGEI KERENSKY AND THIS IS MY BATCHALL!" and PTN will :smug: while you guys piss yourselves. Remember, this is the mind that created Korvat and the Tribble Collective. EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
At some point, you just have to accept that it's a game about giant robots fighting and hand wave some of that poo poo away because GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING. This isn't Assimov people.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
See what happens when you roll with the Kell Hounds? The Laws of Probability set up situations for maximum amount of :black101: Tell that pretentious Snake that the only one on one combat you engage in is with his mother.

Torch the Jenner. It's the most immediate threat. Then I'd keep moving east and gangbang the Dragon. If you guys start getting thin armor run away, you already accomplished the mission objectives.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Arglebargle III posted:

And this a zillion times. As a student of Chinese history and culture it's painfully obvious that the Capellans are Fu-Manchu caricatures. I would really like to see a genuine future state based on the Chinese Empire. If the Capellan Confederation was a meritocratic bureaucracy under an Emperor obsessed with keeping the nobility down (like the Chinese Empires of history) it would be a genuinely interesting and different Successor State. Even having the Liaos obsessed with domestic distractions would lend them a little more genuine Chinese flavor. And it would make sense with the most densely populated state, too. I also always thought it was weird that the Capellan symbol is a guy holding a sword that looks either Japanese or Central Asian. The Chinese traditionally made straight swords.

To be fair, which of the Successor States aren't painful caricatures? Kurita are a bunch of space samurais, Davion is TEAM AMERICA INNER SPHERE POLICE, Steiner are industrious mercantile Germans/Italians with all that implies, and Marik... well nobody cares about House Marik.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Agent Interrobang posted:

Huh, that's all news to me. Freaky. How have I not heard of such amazing ludicrousness before? I thought I was well-read on this poo poo.

It was part of the first series of novels ever published about Battletech, and was out of print for a long time. Plus, the quality was pretty poor even compared with the schlockiness of any given BT novel.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kenlon posted:

I assume this would be because Justin is actually leading the Maskirova, and not loving them up, da?

Justin's loyalties are still questionable in my book. This is why nobody likes turncoats, if they can turn once they can turn again. And he may or may not be a spy. Maybe.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Unless Kurita reinforcements show up.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
All the Skye stuff always made me think Steiner was all about the Byzantine backstabbing akin to the Papel States rather than jackbooted thuggery. They just didn't devolve into civil war like the Free Worlds League seemed to do whenever anybody disagreed about what was for dinner.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yeah. Like how when the Ghost Bears conquered most of the Free Rasalhague Republic, after about 4 or 5 years they just said 'yeah, okay, we're opening up Freeborn Sibkos to anybody who wants to sign up, Clan-born or not.' Hell, their standing saKhan, and the Elected First Prince of the Free Rasalhague Republic, is Ragnar Magnusson, an Inner Sphere-born Rasalhague native.

This is why Clan Ghost Bear is my favorite clan. Rather than being all crotchety and saying "If it was good enough Nicholas Kerensky, it's good enough for us and you drat Wardens get off my lawn!" they instead adapted to the situation. Even though they technically lost the fight that brought Ragnar Magnusson over from the Wolves In Exile, it was a net win having the former heir of a large chunk of the people you recently conquered become a high ranking officer. And having your militaries recruiting and manufacturing base surrounded by jealous neighbors with equal technology hundreds of light years from where the biggest chunk of your army is located is a dumb idea.

Also, Kodiaks :3:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

WarLocke posted:

That was Assumption of Risk if I'm remembering correctly. It's a Kai-centric book, takes place in 3054 or something, Kai goes back to Solaris to defend his father's place as champion or something along those lines while also doing cloak and dagger junk for Victor (IIRC) although the specifics elude me.

I do remember at one point he ends up fighting in a Penetrator and the other side has a Goliath; I remember that because they make a big deal about the other dude being a great pilot/gladiator but he's in such a lovely mech I have no idea how he got that far in Solaris.

That also is the one where I think Katrina Steiner goes from harmless social butterfly to I Don't Give A gently caress power monger.

WarLocke posted:

Joanna :911:

Horse and Joanna. Friends forever because nobody will give them the sweet release of death.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 30, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

WarLocke posted:

Does this make Horse Crichton? Or is Crichton Victor since he's the audience self-insert? :iiam:

Victor never goes crazy enough times or gets the poo poo kicked out of him enough to be John Crichton.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

KnightLight posted:

:byodood:

It's Diamond Shark. They're the Ferengi of the Clans. They couldn't find Victory with a map and a compass. Somebody in the Merchant class who owns a machine gun ammo manufacturing center bribed a Scientist caste member on the mech design board to make that monstrosity.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

KnoxZone posted:

I was perfectly aiming my shots on a concealed target half the map away and hitting the same spot every time. In a world where Kai Allard-Liao was never born, Lieutenant Kearney Barnes has taken the role of invincible perfect mechwarrior for himself :smug:

If Phelan Kell does not exist, there is a :smug: vacuum in the Kell Hounds that needs to be filled. Patrick can't do it all himself!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting A because in Hanse's world, why assault worlds when you can :smug: the Dracs into retardedly walking into your guns and come out looking like the injured party.

And does anybody else think we're going to see Star Captains Grayson and Lori Widowmaker? Natasha always seemed to appreciate people capable of :black101:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting Camacho's Caballeros. for the hilarity that will occur when a unit known for being terrible shots lucks constantly into critical hits due to PTN's rolling. Also, it's time we play for Team NO YOU SHUT UP!

Viva! :mexico:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
This update makes me wonder why the gently caress aren't we Space Mexicans every single goddamn campaign. Fight Cappellens, fight the Steiners, fight the Clans, fight the FWL when your bored. Fight loving everybody! :ese: :ese: :ese:

Jesus, this update is brilliant.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 3, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Davions, gently caress yeah!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ha! Goon Luck wins out again! gently caress you, fanatics! Ariba! :ese:

Defiance Industries posted:

Caesar Steiner will smote those bitches.

They'll make the mistake of invading His HOME PLANET!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hob_Gadling posted:

Space Emo Mexicans just want a reason to weep.

Death Commandos for Cutie.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If you aren't listening to Aveline and Isabela snipe at each other, you're doing it wrong.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
17th Recon MVP: Skinwalker For getting shredded but still putting on the hurt and this

quote:

as soon as his ‘Mech cooled down enough, that pilot was eating a large laser. It wasn’t even to punish him for firing at an ejecting ‘Mechwarrior. That’s just how Bobby was.

Nobody is as motherfucking :black101: as Bobby Begay.

DC MVP: Zhukov For unrelenting pain it dished out.

Plot Vote: Option A.

Justin Allard might have let Max live. Justin XIANG will make sure he has a tasteful funeral.

And whoooo boy, if Justin is getting freaky with Ramona Lioa, that means there's a possibility Kai will be both Wunderkid and BATSHIT INSANE! I want that kind of Kai to exist.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting SC and 2nd Donegal because if any Clan besides Widowmaker is going to troll the other clans with a Inner Sphere bondsmen rising through their ranks, it will be the Steel Vipers.

Or whichever option gets us closer to more Ghost Bears!

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 23, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I feel sorry for the Wolfhound pilot.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chair In A Basket posted:

Bypass Beta and instead go straight for the Star Colonel herself.

Decapitating the enemy's leadership would be a fine introduction to war in the IS.

Well, yeah except

PoptartsNinja posted:

Can occasionally ignore the Clan rules of engagement.

And

"PoptartsNinja posted:

Annoy the hell out of the other Clans for their occasionally dishonorable tactics.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Bah! A Trueborn warrior needs such handicaps to make things challenging. Just means more glory, quiaff?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

KnoxZone posted:

Quick question that came to me? Do the Clan mechs have Inner Sphere designations yet? I want the players to come up with names for some of these crazy mechs they are discovering. We don't need the DCMS coming up with some Oriental name for every awesome clan omnimech this time around :colbert:

If you leave that poo poo up to Comstar, it will read like a goddamn D&D supplement. It'll be all Hospilitar this and Seraphim that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Angry_Ed posted:

For what it's worth I thought the Ghost Bear Dominion could've been a pretty nice place for a non-warrior to live in. If I recall they basically left governance of the planets in the Dominion to the people already there and didn't interfere too much except in cases of defense. They also seemed to treat the lower castes with a degree of respect.

And that is why I am Ghost Bear for Life :sweden:

PoptartsNinja posted:

“No penetration,” she breathed again as her sensors updated. “What do they build these things out of, bullshit?”

Oh my dear Leutnant, you have no idea.

So, uh, what happends when a dezgra unit interferes in single combat and helps defeat one side? Did we just ensure the gloves come off?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Caesar Steiner's unit needs more bondsmen.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Polaron posted:

Yes. Tear the Nova's arm off and use it in a duel.

"You can leave, but your arm stays. It belongs to ME now." :black101: :black101: :black101:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I like how Breen trolls Leutnant Samantha Clover (Mukaikubo) for shooting into the woods.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fire Mandril mentality: "Y'know, this system that Nicholas Kerensky laid out is stupid and unsustainable. gently caress it. C'mon, bro, let's go have a beer."

Fire Mandrills. The Clans answer to the Free Worlds League.

"No YOU, quiaff!"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
And every crew member is needed to restrain Caesar Steiner from busting out of the dropship and laying waste to everything in a fifty kilometer radius.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, that's Roar of Honor.

Wait, they wrote a book about the Ghost Bears? drat, I stopped reading BT books too soon.

Edit: Ghost Bear clawing snipe :sweden:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Colonel Rossi NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Avenge him! Avenge his death Leutnant Samantha "Mukaikubo" Clover! Steiner Rules demand it! :911:

• Locked thread