Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm looking forward to this thread. I like many people enjoy giant robots smashing other giant robots. I haven't ever played Battletech though so a lot of the info being dumped is taking some getting used to. Still like Poptart's previous STO thread I'd imagine I'll get sucked into the game like a bunch of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

WarLocke posted:

I submit for your giant stompy robot pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

That was gloriously cheesy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, worst-case scenario is that I'm lying about it being a light 'Mech.

Panic in 5, 4, 3...

PTN sits at his desk, fingers tented. A white cat suitable for a Bond supervillian rests in his lap. Before him is a battle map and a list of surprises most devious.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Also, yeah, Megamek does 90% of that behind the scenes anyway so it doesn't even matter.

Wait, so all of us people who have never been able to play Battletech but gaze into this thread with slackjawed awe could play with this Megamek? And we could play with Goons and be educated as to the way of giant robot awesomeness? :monocle:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Dear PoptartsNinja:

I hope this finds you well. I would like to assure you, assure you that all of these scurrilous accusations about the MegaMek AI are completely unfounded. It is a vicious killer, a slayer of mechs and tanks sans pareil. It would be our great honor to be allowed to worthily press this most noble of possible opponents to the brink before our own efforts inevitably fail.

Yours,
-The Players

PTN is going to replace said AI with Cardassian he's had locked in a basement with nothing to keep him company but a television that loops "Threshold", "Move Along Home", and Star Wars Holiday Special. What I am saying is he's been tortured and conditioned to hate us all. :ohdear:

And per those helpful replies to my question I will check out http://megamek.sourceforge.net/ and see how it goes.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

WarLocke posted:

You do realize that no matter what they come up with, the model designation is going to be PNK-1P right?

Okay that does it. That was the final straw. Voting five for this thread.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

Speaking honestly, I don't mind aliens. Hell, Farscape is one of my favorite things ever, and it introduced like fifty new species per season(not an exact figure). But they just don't WORK in Battletech, because the entire series is predicated upon endless, largely pointless feudal conflicts. It's basically a never-ending War of the Roses with dozens of sides. Adding aliens SERIOUSLY gets in the way of that. Who the hell thought it was a good idea?

Any alien race not advanced enough to pose a threat to humanity would be exploited or eradicated. Any race that was advanced enough to pose a threat would unite all humanity and void the whole political discourse of Battletech. Hell it's just human nature that groups of people with slight differences will put those differences aside to fight something that is categorically aliens or different. If only to go back to fighting over the same reasons again once its all said and done.

Also Agent Interrobang it looks like your avatar is kneading the air like a kitty. :3:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Well now you people have completely lost me. I'm going to bed. :colbert:

PS - Crackers don't matter. Not even to big robots.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

At least the Naga has the distinction of not looking really silly unlike some other dedicated fire support mechs like oh say, the Yeoman.

Hey guys I got a great idea, lets take the concept of the Catapult, slap on even more missiles, leave it with no close-range weaponry whatsoever, and make it look ridiculous to boot! :downs:

And this is from the same people who produced the Wraith, which is a mech that is apparently somewhat amazing. So how they went from that to the Yeoman is a mystery.

Truth be told if something can survive a barrage of that many missiles it probably deserves to live.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Revenant Threshold posted:

The correct next move is broadcast taunting. No use getting ridiculously lucky without rubbing it the gently caress in.

Can mechs purge various coolants or fluids at will? I'm sure standing over the fallen mech and having an arc of oil landing on the Dragon's windshield wound be pretty insulting.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

The Dragon was defeated in an honor duel by a mercenary. There's like a 90% chance he's already committed seppuku. Kinda pointless to insult.

You are missing the point of adding insult to injury. There are still other mechs who can witness the act. What kind of piloting check would you need to make to pull that off anyway? :v:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Well played you magnificently lucky sons of bitches! And nicely done by PTN as well.

Now for a novice question. Is PTN, or any game master, bound by an rules or protocol in how certain factions play their turns? People were worried about the Hussar rabbiting a few turns back. Is that something PTN had complete freedom to do or is he limited to playing the bushido angle to the hilt in the just finished battle?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I've still got my artbitches working on that! :D

Please tell me you refer to them this way in their company. :)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Voting for Option A. Why open another front or risk an interdiction when you can consolidate your gains and watch your enemy burn on the other end?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Just so I am clear on thing I will ask. Interdiction by Comstar cuts off all real time communication, correct? And that is considered one of the most important factors in BT's universe for being able to maintain their empires and campaigns, yes? I wonder what fiendish way PTN would enforce such a black out on the players. :ohdear:

Also given the recent discussion on Clan sexy time: "Lets All Play Battletech and write lesbian mech-pilot fan-fiction." :suicide:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Man, I just glanced at the master list for the first time in a while. If you really intend to get though this many people, 4 players at a time, this is going to be the longest LP thread ever.

I believe PTN is going to have much bigger games going online once people are broken in to his alternative universe.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Somewhere there is a lurker in this thread cursing about the 17th stealing "real 'mericans" mech jobs. :v:

Also I was discussing BT with another Mass Effect goon in IRC. When we got to the Clans I explained that I couldn't shake the mental image of a bunch of kilt wearing sheep herders running around in mechs (that also wear kilts) and doing highland charges. Then I am informed that there is actually a unit called the Highlanders in BT lore. Now we need a mech with high pressure hoses to shoot whiskey.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Y'all are so (justifiably) paranoid.

Now we just need a photoshop of a Cardassian doing the Alfred Hitchcock silhouette for maximum suspense. I'm very much looking forward to all the twists and turns in this next episode.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Anyone up for some MegaMek tonight? Last night watching a little Flea take 3 assault mech alpha strikes at point blank range was an absolute blast.

Is there a specific server to connect to? Also any basic troubleshooting tips for when I inevitably bungle something as this is the first time I've used the software? :downs:

Edit: Oh god damnit right as I hit post.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

So I thought I'd share with you my first experience in combat using MegaMek with some goons.

quote:

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast)
Medium Pulse Laser at Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses.
Medium Pulse Laser at Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva); needs 8, rolls 2 : misses.
Gauss Rifle at Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses.

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-YLW (Shiva)
Autocannon/20 at Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits HD
Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast) takes 20 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
*** Hunchback HBK-5SG (Trast) DESTROYED by damage! ***
Critical hit on HD. Roll is 8; 1 location.
<<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Sensors.

Also for those who can't read a visual representation. :zaeed:

Basically I got owned in glorious and hilarious fashion.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Shiva Asori posted:

Short for HeaD, yah that was me getting lucky with a AC/20.

Sorry for that being your first combat turn, trast.

No harm, no foul. It was god damned hilarious.

KnoxZone posted:

If it makes you feel any better, in the previous game my legless near-death Awesome that had been doing nothing for 10 turns got a through-armor crit on Shiva's nearly fully armored assault mech to detonate his SRM ammo and blow him up giving me a miracle win.

Yes I know. I was spectating and laughed my rear end off. I even joked that they would forget about you leading to win via survival.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Don't remind me, that was "mud city" last night, slipping and falling in the road, and the elevation was insane it went from 4 to 6 to zero constantly.

The mud was just the icing on the cake.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

It's official: I have the worst dice rolls in BT history. I was messing around against a bot on Megamek just to learn stuff. Two random armies of about 3500 BV. I had a sentinel, commando, panther, and jenner. The computer had a blackjack, hatchetman, hornet and harvester ant.

We close in for combat. The first round sees the bot shooting the major weapon arms off my commando and panther. The sentinel trips and falls on asphalt. Then jenner manages to avoid enemy fire. The melee round commences. The commando misses a kick and falls on its rear end. I think the blackjack pointed and laughed at me.

Second firing round. My panther is shoots and does some damage. The commando blinks at the hornet. The sentinel whiffs on its attacks. The jenner takes a decent shot and crits the hornet. The harvester ant then fires its scm2 and crits my engine, turning MY JENNER into a fireball.

:suicide:

I need a hug. :(

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

At first I scoffed at the thought, but drat, over 3000 posts in half a month? If this thread lasts for a year you may be right.

Poptartsninja, the Pied Piper of Battletech.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Northwind Highlanders have lostech laser-comms (extremely expensive). They FLOOD every normal-radio comm channel with bagpipe music to inspire their own troops and gently caress over everyone else's communications. It's pretty neat, actually.

That is just awesome. Now I need to pilot one of those and fabricate a giant kilt for the mech to wear. And I can blame my lovely dice rolls on too much scotch!
trast@live.com for my email. Also my family history is actually irish but don't tell the other space-scottsmen that. :ssh:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Shoot it. Just to be sure. And buildings are pretty easy to destroy!

Nuke it from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

UberJew posted:

The AC/20 is the best weapon and all other ballistics suffer the disadvantage of not being AC/20s

Don't mention that infernal piece of machinery while I'm around. :argh:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thank you everyone for your tactical advice. I have decided to do the most Cabellero thing. I'm taking all the advice, printing each one off ona sheet of paper, and taping it to my wall. Then I shall drink enough tequila to make me in a happy place, bust out my nerf vulcan, and shoot at the wall. Whichever piece of advice has the msot dart impacts will be the one I choose.

I'd follow you into hell and back.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Talk about being sufficiently ominous without hinting if it is a good or bad ominous. This thread is the epitome of :f5:

PTN : Dance my puppets! Dance!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

Another Defiance Industires innovation!

Thanks for this. I didn't have enough damaging mental images floating around in my brain until now. :suicide:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Well, if anything is going to set off air raid sirens in your heads, this is the sentence that should do it.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHA. :moreevil:

The Death Commandos have joined the Dominion. Jem'Hadar inc!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It sounds like the sort of ranged cavalry fighter the Hell's Horses would probably really like, since it can act as quick, highly responsive support fire for their vast swarms of tanks and infantry. I'm thinking Prancer for the name. Either that or Shetland. :3:

Someone described the PPC as a lightning gun to me once. How about naming it Thunderhorse?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Having an interesting game against the computer that I started for practice. Mixed group of mechs, fair amount of them. But my valiant little Jenner manages to crit and destroy the engine and gyro of a Highlander in one volley. I wanted to pat it on the head. :3:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Engine Joe is off to the big siesta in the sky. :mexico:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Early morning grammar fail.

I've spent a lot of effort towards becoming an author; but I'm not published. I am working on a couple of 'projects', though.

VVV And no, I don't have a best-seller name. I have a (French) last name that nobody can spell correctly.

I still say your ST:Online story would at the very least make a fun graphic novel. Its certainly more entertaining than Voyager was.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

... You just gave me an idea for something to do with the Free Worlds League.

90% of that campaign will be to make the enemy howl.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Two of those cancel out; this foreshadowing makes me feel less threatened instead of more.

Do not taunt the Cardassian. It never ends well for anyone. :ohdear:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Might be space Mexican cavalry, but I'm hoping for hidden Atlas.

How do you hide something as big as an Atlas with all those :ese: running around with lucky dice? It's going to be something like a Death Commando Suicide Squad or a herd of corgies that have c4 strapped to them.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

The Justice Foot wins again.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Don't the Clans break their own rules when it suits them?

And in relation to the game at hand how much damage do those mines do to a mech as compared to the weapons we've seen so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm blasting and kicking the poo poo outta it. Hopefully I kill it good.

Time for those lucky LP dice to bust out.

• Locked thread