Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I get no cell signal in the building where I have classes, so I find myself turning on airplane mode and the enabling WiFi every day. I'm sure this is something Tasker can automate, but I haven't the slightest idea how to go about it. I think location would be a good enough trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I had a task set up that sends a text to a phone number. Now its sending it twice, I think it has to do with Google Voice/Hangouts integration as one message is saying "via SMS" and the other is saying "via Google Voice". Anyone else with this issue and/or know how to fix? I didn't see any bugs reported, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

hooah posted:

I get no cell signal in the building where I have classes, so I find myself turning on airplane mode and the enabling WiFi every day. I'm sure this is something Tasker can automate, but I haven't the slightest idea how to go about it. I think location would be a good enough trigger.
That, or time. Not sure how it would know where you are to turn it off if you have it in Airplane mode

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

hooah posted:

I have a profile and task set up for something similar. The task is trigered when Signal strength is zero. I use secure settings as well. See below.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I set the notification volume to vibrate? In the help for that setting, it doesn't mention anything about vibrate.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

How can I set the notification volume to vibrate? In the help for that setting, it doesn't mention anything about vibrate.

At least with stock android, you can't because ringer and notifications are linked. The best you can do is set your phone to vibrate mode then have another profile that turns off vibrate mode when you get a call.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

At least with stock android, you can't because ringer and notifications are linked. The best you can do is set your phone to vibrate mode then have another profile that turns off vibrate mode when you get a call.

I the ringer to be on vibrate as well, so however that works would be fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

I the ringer to be on vibrate as well, so however that works would be fine.

If you just want notifications and ringer to be on vibrate, then its New Task -> Audio -> Silent Mode -> Vibrate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you just want notifications and ringer to be on vibrate, then its New Task -> Audio -> Silent Mode -> Vibrate.

Oh for gently caress's sake! When I poked around the other day, I saw the "off", and assumed the only other option would be "on"! Thank you.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Does anyone have a preferred plugin to interface Tasker and the official Open VPN app?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Tasker seems to have problems working properly on my phone.. A Motorola Droid Maxx.

I normally keep all my volumes maxed. And I have a Tasker profile setup to turn them down to a little less than half when connected to the office wifi. This part always works. However when the profile is deactivated more than half the time the volumes are not returned to their previous level.

From what I understand reading the Tasker documentation, Settings items such as volume should return to their previous state when the profile they are linked to is no longer active, but this does not seem to be occurring all the time.

I do not run any task manager or any sort of "power saving" app that would interfere with Tasker's operation. The OS on the phone is bone stock and not rooted. I have tried the Run In Foreground setting which has not helped. I have also tried clearing Tasker's data and reinstalling the app with no change.

Any ideas?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

stevewm posted:

Tasker seems to have problems working properly on my phone.. A Motorola Droid Maxx.

I normally keep all my volumes maxed. And I have a Tasker profile setup to turn them down to a little less than half when connected to the office wifi. This part always works. However when the profile is deactivated more than half the time the volumes are not returned to their previous level.

From what I understand reading the Tasker documentation, Settings items such as volume should return to their previous state when the profile they are linked to is no longer active, but this does not seem to be occurring all the time.

I do not run any task manager or any sort of "power saving" app that would interfere with Tasker's operation. The OS on the phone is bone stock and not rooted. I have tried the Run In Foreground setting which has not helped. I have also tried clearing Tasker's data and reinstalling the app with no change.

Any ideas?

Set an exit task to put the volume where you want them?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Set an exit task to put the volume where you want them?

HAHAHA I feel really dumb now. I stupidly assumed since it is supposed to restore previous state there would not be a way to set a disconnect event. However after looking again I realized there is a NOT checkbox which turns the Connected event into a Not Connected event. Problem solved!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

stevewm posted:

HAHAHA I feel really dumb now. I stupidly assumed since it is supposed to restore previous state there would not be a way to set a disconnect event. However after looking again I realized there is a NOT checkbox which turns the Connected event into a Not Connected event. Problem solved!

Well that's not quite what I meant. I think you just created a second profile to deal with it, but I was talking about long pressing on the task in your current profile, selecting exit task, and setting your volumes where you want them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well that's not quite what I meant. I think you just created a second profile to deal with it, but I was talking about long pressing on the task in your current profile, selecting exit task, and setting your volumes where you want them.

I have a lot more to learn about this app.. Didn't realize that was an option either. I added the correct volume settings as the exit task and its works perfectly now.

Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is anyone using Tasker + Settings on Lollipop yet? I use this combination to disable the PIN while I'm at home or in the car, and whenever one of these tasks exits and tries to re-enable the PIN, I get a message from Secure Settings saying "Stored password out of sync!". I've tried to go through the steps given in the pop-up, but SS tells me that decryption failed.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Is anyone using Tasker + Settings on Lollipop yet? I use this combination to disable the PIN while I'm at home or in the car, and whenever one of these tasks exits and tries to re-enable the PIN, I get a message from Secure Settings saying "Stored password out of sync!". I've tried to go through the steps given in the pop-up, but SS tells me that decryption failed.

Why not use Secure Lock with Lollipop?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BoyBlunder posted:

Why not use Secure Lock with Lollipop?

How do you mean? I don't have a Bluetooth device at home.

Edit: just read about trusted locations, and that sounds like it'll do nicely when my phone gets the services update.

hooah fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 18, 2014

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm looking to setup a fairly basic event: text my wife and maybe set volumes when I enter/exit work. I haven't tried on my N6 yet, but it would constantly trigger on my N4. It would send like 10 entered/exited messages, when I wasn't entering/exiting at all.

I tried setting up just GPS and it did work but obviously used a ton of battery. So I figured I could add a second trigger, like WiFi, but that's when it started triggering a bunch. I also added Bluetooth connected so it would trigger only in my car when I was in the parking lot (where I had WiFi signal). That didn't seem to help either, since it just wouldn't trigger reliably at all.

Anyway, am I missing an easy way to do it in tasker? Were the previous issues just related to maybe the N4 maybe not working correctly?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Dump the GPS and bluetooth stuff and have it go off when you are in range of your work wifi, and then create a second inverted profile so it goes off when youre out of range of work wifi? The only issue might be if your workplace is big enough that theres multiple wifi networks covering the whole building, or if you move around a lot and go in and out of range.

Or maybe stop being a sperglord and just text your wife?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Set up a profile that triggers on Wi-Fi range, then turns the profile off. Set up a second profile that turns the first profile back on at midnight or some other time that you're definitely not at work.

Edit: that doesn't work if you need it to set volumes as you exit work.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CaptainJuan posted:

Dump the GPS and bluetooth stuff and have it go off when you are in range of your work wifi, and then create a second inverted profile so it goes off when youre out of range of work wifi? The only issue might be if your workplace is big enough that theres multiple wifi networks covering the whole building, or if you move around a lot and go in and out of range.

Or maybe stop being a sperglord and just text your wife?

I probably would move out of range some times so I guess it would be triggering a bunch that way.

Also this is just because I forget to do it, so automatically means I don't have to remember

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think Wi-Fi profiles can be tricky because a lot of phones seem to turn off Wi-Fi automatically when it's not used for a while, then turn it back on when the screen is turned on.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is there a relatively easy way to create a task which will activate deep sleep/battery saver mode on my tablet after x number of minutes of zero touches to the screen? By easy I mean without using variables.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but my tasker thing is only half working.

I mounted my old busted tablet to the bookcase next to my bed as a quick info screen.

What I want tasker to do is turn the screen on at 9AM and stay on for the entire day, until 10pm when it should go to sleep. After 10 pm, if I turn it on manually to look at something real quick I want it to go back to sleep after 1 minute if I don't press the sleep button myself.

I have no problem getting the tablet to wake up every morning at 9 and stay on for the whole day, i use secure settings to wake it up, and use the display timeout set to infinite until 10pm.

At 10pm the tablet goes to sleep properly with the system lock command and the display timeout is changed to 1 minute (and it's reflected in system settings as thus), BUT when i turn it on myself in the middle of the night it remains on. The screen dims, but never ever turns off. When my alarm goes off at 6AM I expect it to have gone back to sleep by the time I get out of the shower, but nope, there it is, still on.

What do yall think I'm doing wrong here?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

System Settings -> Developer Options -> uncheck Stay Awake?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

can this app automatically call my friend at 3am every morning and play Monster by Imagine Dragons

not the whole song, just the part where it goes 'A MONSTER A MONSTER I'VE TURNED INTO A MONSTER'

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It can certainly do those things separately, but I don't know if it is able to play the audio directly over the connection. You'd probably have to hear it, too.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

System Settings -> Developer Options -> uncheck Stay Awake?

well poo poo, that was stupid easy, thanks!

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
I have a task which shows a scene after plugging in headphones.

Since updating to 5.1, showing a scene when the screen is off results in a black screen with only the soft buttons showing. It works completely fine if the phone is already unlocked when I trigger the task.

The only keyguard I use is 'Swipe' as in; just swipe up to unlock the phone. I've tried using Secure Settings to disable the keyguard - but it doesn't seem to work.

I've seen a few other people on the web experiencing different versions of this (one guy was trying to launch something using an NFC tag while his screen was off) but no solutions.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Got the answer from Reddit, for anyone else wondering:

quote:

1. Secure Settings: Wake Device
2a. If you are rooted
Run Shell: input swipe 550 1340 500 500
Basically, constant X, with a low to high Y value. Values might need to be changed for your device. Those values are configured for a Nexus 5.
2b. if you are not rooted
AutoInput: Click on the Tasker Persistent notification.
AutoInput: Click on the Tasker Persistent notification (again)
Go Home (to exit out of Tasker)

Spekkio fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 7, 2015

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Spekkio posted:

I have a task which shows a scene after plugging in headphones.

Since updating to 5.1, showing a scene when the screen is off results in a black screen with only the soft buttons showing. It works completely fine if the phone is already unlocked when I trigger the task.

The only keyguard I use is 'Swipe' as in; just swipe up to unlock the phone. I've tried using Secure Settings to disable the keyguard - but it doesn't seem to work.

I've seen a few other people on the web experiencing different versions of this (one guy was trying to launch something using an NFC tag while his screen was off) but no solutions.

Anyone got any ideas?

I had the same bug in 5.0 when using the smart lock feature. 90% of the time it would load a black screen with the soft buttons and nothing else when I turned on the screen. I haven't had the problem with 5.1 though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I answer a call using my car's hands free, it will unlock my phone screen in my pocket and I often find timers and alarms set, icons moved, etc. because of this. What would be the best tasker action to stop this happening when it detects I'm connected to my car's bluetooth?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I think this should be really easy, but I want my phone to ring loudly when it's at home, and shut the gently caress up when I'm not home.

It will ring fine at home, though I have to use GPS since I can't figure out how to tell it to use wifi (my home's) as a trigger. However, when I leave the house and the profile turns off it stays loud which is annoying.

I am sure I'm just setting poo poo up wrong.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

So I think this should be really easy, but I want my phone to ring loudly when it's at home, and shut the gently caress up when I'm not home.

It will ring fine at home, though I have to use GPS since I can't figure out how to tell it to use wifi (my home's) as a trigger. However, when I leave the house and the profile turns off it stays loud which is annoying.

I am sure I'm just setting poo poo up wrong.

You want to have a profile that triggers on the state "WiFi connected" and sets your volume, that should set your volume when you connect and reset it to what you had before when you disconnect I think.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hey that worked, set up the same way as GPS but now it actually resets, weird!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I'm theorizing that android auto doesn't work well when your phone is also connected to an android wear device as both my G and 5x show sluggish and unresponsive behavior when the two are used at the same time. I'm still running a test to see how AA runs without my watch turned on but so far it's holding up.

Suffice to say, I'd like to have the connection to my 360v1 turn off when connecting to my car's headunit through BT. I attempted to have the BT connection terminate when the connection is made using secure settings but a brief experiment showed that while other actions worked (wifi off, longer display timeout) the watch maintained a connection.

Does wear use a different method of connection or treated differently in some way? Even when I go to my BT settings or shows the 360 but connected is not displayed even though I know for certain it currently is.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm rooted if that offers any additional options.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to use Tasker to toggle Ambient Display in Marshmallow? I've done some searching and found some posts saying Secure Settings can access the doze_enabled setting which for some reason toggles Ambient Display, but I don't have that accessible. I have a 2014 Moto X running CM 13.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has had a problem with Tasker since the marshmallow update. I only have a few basic tasks these days thanks to Android building in a lot of features I used Tasker for, but it seems since my Note 4 got updated Tasker is broke. The persistent icon is gone, but since the update I also have an annoying "Sprint" at the top left.

It seems my main task of "turn phone to vibrate from 8-5" is not working. :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone else has had a problem with Tasker since the marshmallow update. I only have a few basic tasks these days thanks to Android building in a lot of features I used Tasker for, but it seems since my Note 4 got updated Tasker is broke. The persistent icon is gone, but since the update I also have an annoying "Sprint" at the top left.

It seems my main task of "turn phone to vibrate from 8-5" is not working. :(

Go into System Settings -> Apps -> Tasker and make sure all of its permissions are still on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Go into System Settings -> Apps -> Tasker and make sure all of its permissions are still on.

Yeah, everything is set. Guess my next step is to try and uninstall/reinstall.

• Locked thread