Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I got the secret LED on my EVO to work with new SMS, but can I get it to flash for new Gmail emails too? I can't seem to anything in Tasker about gmail notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

Make a task that blinks the light how you want, you probably did this already but you might want a different pattern for Gmail versus SMS.

New Profile -> Event -> UI -> Notification

Choose Owner Application and pick whatever you want to trigger it and then choose your light flashing task as the action.

Yeah, I meant to edit my post but I eventually figured it out. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the LED go away if the screen is already on when the notification comes in (which incidentally I just PM'd you about before I saw you reply in the thread).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

Just came up with an idea.

Make a profile so when you unlock the screen, set a variable like "UNLOCKED = 1"

Make a profile for Display Off that sets "UNLOCKED = 0".

Now set an "if" on your light tasks "If UNLOCKED ~ 0" so it will only trigger if UNLOCKED is 0.

Apparently I don't know how to set variables because my attempt kept the LED from lighting up even with the screen off.

I created a new profile with Screen Unlocked, then added Variable Add and set it to 1. Did the same with Screen Off but set it to 2. I'm guessing this isn't right.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there some way I'm not seeing to have an action happen at a certain time rather than within a range of times? I tried only using the From time but then it just used it as that time until the end of the day. I just want my phone to make sure it turns the ringer on at 7:00 every day.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Bearnt! posted:

Lock Phone - If I've left my phone somewhere or it's been stolen and I text it "lock me" it will do a system lock, turn on GPS for tracking, record audio for however long I've specified and then sync that audio file to my dropbox (working on texting or emailing back GPS coords)

I'd like more info on this one.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Perhaps I'm stupid, but how does the IF syntax work?

I set up a task that, between 10:30 AM and 8:30 PM, sets Ringer Volume (which catches notifications too) to 6 (of 15), so it's quieter but still audible at work. However, I don't want it to fire on Saturday or Sunday because I don't work then.

Problem? With it set to if say of week doesn't match "Saturday OR Sunday", it fired this morning at 10:30. How do I alter it so it works how I want?

You don't have to use the if statement because you can specify days. Click on "from [time] to [time]" and click add -> days.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Quick syntax question. I have a simple task that says:

Wifi connected > my SSID > mobile data off

Do I need an exit task that turns it back on or will that rule work as is?

If you're connected to wifi, your mobile data is already off, but to answer your question, you probably need an exit task. At the very least, it couldn't hurt to have it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I think i got halfway through setting this up, but I screwed up somewhere. Can you give me the setup?

I just quickly set this up and it works fine.

New -> Applications -> [select apps] -> done
New task -> + -> Misc -> GPS -> On -> done

That's all. I'm on an EVO running CM7 (Gingerbread).

Now I just realized that I don't want this because I also have Tasker set up to check whether I'm at home or not so it'll connect to WiFi.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I want to make a task that will turn on airplane mode for 15 minutes, turn it off for one minute, and repeat until I disable it. How can I pull this off?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Brightman posted:

Yeah, this should do it:
1. Network->Airplane mode: on
2. Tasker->Wait: 15 minutes
3. Network->Airplane mode:off
4. Tasker->Wait: 1 minute
5. Tasker-> Goto Action: 1

Or a profile set to "Every 15 minutes": Turn Airplane mode off, wait 1 minute, turn airplane mode on. The task can be made into a shortcut though.

This works great, but how do I exit the task from a widget? Clicking it again doesn't turn airplane mode off.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

The option to turn on 4G/Wifi antennas every 15/30/60 etc minutes for a background update is built into Juice Defender if you're really in need of it.

I need airplane mode so it'll check for SMS too.

This would all be much easier if the dev would implement running task killing but he doesn't seem to think it's a priority from what I found on Google.

I tried to set up a command to stop the task before it turns airplane mode off if it is already off, but I must be doing it wrong because it still wouldn't stop.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

brc64 posted:

My brain is a little fried at the moment, but is this something that could potentially be handled with a variable that tracks whether airplane mode is currently on or off?

Something like:

Widget checks ProfileRunning variable. If variable is true, turn off the profile. If it's false, start it.

Maybe, but I wouldn't have a clue how to set that up. I am awful with Tasker variables.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Brightman posted:

I was messing around with that, although it was the other way, widget turned a variable on and off which a profile was looking for, so maybe this would work. There's also a context for State->Airplane mode, but it doesn't specify on/off so I'm not sure what's going on with it...google reveals that it means enabled, so inverting it would be off. I think this will work:

Make a profile called "whatever":
Context: State->Airplane Mode
Start task:
1)Wait 15 minutes
2)Turn off airplane mode
3)Wait one minute
Exit Task:
1)Turn on airplane mode

Turn profile off

Make a widget with this task:
1)Tasker->Profile Status: Toggle the profile "whatever"
2)Turn on airplane mode
3)Wait 5 seconds
4)Turn off airplane mode

This works for me. When you click the widget it toggles the profile on, turns airplane on to start the loop, waits 5 seconds (might work with less), then turns it off hitting the exit loop (apparently it will play out a enter task fully but outside influence kicks it straight to the exit loop) which turns it back on resetting the loop. When you click it again it turns the profile off, turns on airplane mode (most likely needlessly), waits 5 seconds because turning off the profile apparently sends it straight to the exit loop, and then turns airplane mode off.

Actually that seems odd, doesn't it? Let me increase my waits (I wasn't going to sit around for 15 minutes) and make sure it's not just coincidence...yeah, this works. The way tasker decides to hit exit tasks is sorta odd. Because it'll wait the full minute at the end of the start task, but it won't say wait the full 5 minutes when I turn the profile off with the widget, but it will still hit the exit task if you don't have that wait in there (I tried it without the wait and it toggled airplane mode on/off/on). Also there was that problem where I had the loop in a profile I was trying to toggle and the loop would keep going even with the profile off, so while I get how this works, the answer to why it works this way is hardly intuitive.

I've been playing with this off and on for the last week or two. The exit task on the profile doesn't seem to set the profile into motion again, so once it kicks airplane mode off and back on the first time, airplane mode will remain on until I disable it. I've tried all sorts of things to try to make this work but nothing I do works. Even with one task for on and one for off, I still can't get it to do a stupidly simple task like this.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

b0nes posted:

What do I add so that full brightness will be only when the power or USB is plugged in?

Change "power" to "USB plugged".

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Brightman posted:

So the profile isn't looping properly then? When airplane mode is on is the profile not active then? Does the widget at least work?

You turn on the widget, this toggles the profile to on, and flips airplane on activating the profile, waits, and then flips it off sending it to the exit condition which turns airplane on and reactivates it. Does it remain on here, or does it wait the 15, turn off for 1 minute, and then the exit condition turns on airplane mode and then it never goes off?

Hmm, yeah, testing the profile again I'm getting the same behavior. This doesn't make a lot of sense...oddly this seems to turn my wireless on when airplane mode goes off as well. If that's happening for you too might want to throw that into the widget if it's a problem.

Okay, I think I figured it out. Move the last wait in the entry task to the exit task, so on exit it will wait one minute and then turn on airplane mode:

Context: airplane mode
entry task: wait 15 minutes, turn off airplane mode
exit task: wait 1 minute, turn on airplane mode

I've gotten this to loop 3 times now, although I haven't messed with this setup with the widget, but it should be okay since that turns the profile on and off.

This works except if you toggle the profile off while it's in the exit task, Airplane Mode will end up on in the end. I fixed this by adding an additional 10 second wait and turning off airplane mode again. This is certainly more minimalistic than the way I figured out earlier which involved two profiles and two tasks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Does anyone know if Tasker will complete an exit task if the phone has been rebooted since the entry task?

For example if I have

code:
From 0:00 to 08:00  
   > Bluetooth Off  
   < Bluetooth On

From 06:00
   > Reboot
Would it turn Bluetooth back on?

As long as it's still between 0:00 and 8:00 (which it is), the profile should switch itself on when the phone reboots, and exit properly at 8:00. If you'd set it up stupidly and had like [Bluetooth off at 0:00, wait 8 hours, turn Bluetooth on], then it probably wouldn't work. As long as Tasker loads up during that time interval, everything should be fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

brc64 posted:

One of these days I need to revisit my "mute while on" profile and see if I can get it to work properly for all conditions.

The idea is that, when the screen is on, I'm actively using my phone, so I don't need it to make loud notification sounds in my hand. That in and of itself is fairly easy to do. The problem becomes how to get it to work properly when I have multiple audio profiles (I have volume set lower when I'm at home). I need to figure out how to save the current volume state and restore that when the screen goes off.

Wouldn't a simple [when screen on, notification sounds off] with no exit task do this? As far as I know, the default exit task is to go back to however it was previously. If not, your active time or gps profile that says you're at home should take care of it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

I found out that there's a demo version and downloaded that to try it out. In the documentation, it says there's a "text received" condition, but I can't find it in my version.

Event -> Phone -> Received Text

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

But I can't add a context without a task. Or should I add the "turn off screen" task to both contexts, in the same profile?

Add context, add task to context, click on context, click add, add second context.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm trying to set up a profile on my Transformer that will put it in Airplane Mode between 00:00 and 6:00 every day, 8:30 to 16:30 on weekdays, but turns off if the screen comes on. What's the most efficient way to pull this off?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Brightman posted:

Contexts for between midnight and 6 and for event->display->display off with the task being airplane mode on, and exit task being airplane mode off. Another profile with contexts for 8:30 to 16:30, weekdays, and the display off thing again with the task being airplane mode and exit being no airplane mode.

That's pretty much the only way I can think to do it, I'm not sure if there's somehow a more efficient way, but I'm pretty sure you're going to at least need two profiles since Tasker doesn't have an OR for it's contexts.

The problem with that, if I understand tasker correctly, is that "display off" is event based, meaning I'd have to be using the device during those times to trigger the event.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

XIII posted:

How would I go about setting Tasker to disable my lockscreen when I'm connected to WiFi? I've tried:

Wifi Connected > Keyguard Off (and then < Keyguard On, as an exit task)

I'm on a Galaxy Nexus, if it matters

I just tried this (minus the exit task because you shouldn't need one) and it seemed to work for me. However when I selected the keyguard option, it said something like "on Android 2.0+ this should only be used with the screen on and unlocked" so I don't know if it would work all the time. You'd be better off replacing your lockscreen with Widgetlocker and turning off your default lockscreen permanently. Then you can have Tasker disable Widgetlocker (though even this seems flaky at times).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

whatever7 posted:

I bit the bullet and brought it.

This thing is weird. It demands programming skill but the interface doesn't offer the programming logic flow. It's like a Adobe flash actionscript designer but worse.

How do you do "Weekdays 9am-5pm" only for time?
Once you set up the time, long press on the time rule and click add, then click day.

quote:

And how do you do "Weekends allday and weekdays 6pm-8am" ?
I'm not positive you can do an all day task, so I'd just do like 00:00 to 23:59. Not sure if 00:00 to 00:00 would do all day or nothing at all. You'd need two separate tasks to do different times on different days.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

So I must have my Friday 00:00 to 18:00 wrong somehow as my phone is not on silent and it is before 18:00 on a Friday. It currently looks like this:

Fri >Enable Vib
From 00:00 Till 18:00 <Disable Vib

Is that wrong?

Is "Vib" a task that turns on vibration for notifications and phone calls, but turns off ringer and notification audio, or are you only turning on vibration but not turning off sounds?

edit: should look similar to this (my night time task)

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 10, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there any way to set up a profile that will pause Beyondpod if I turn the media volume all the way down? At work, my media volume is usually only up a step or two, and it would be much more convenient to pause it with hardware keys than by turning the screen on.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Golbez posted:

Looks like it. For State, pick variables, and one of the variables is volume - Media. And pausing BeyondPod is a task in the third party menu.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough of how the variables work to tell you what you should tell it to look for.

Thanks. This plus "headphones plugged in" seems to be working.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

I have a profile that's supposed to trigger when my phone connects to either my car's phone bluetooth or the music one (the car only came with the ability to do phone over BT, so I added a module). The problem is that it doesn't ever trigger. It's currently set to go when it connects to the phone part of the car since I can only see how to have one BT trigger, but even if I switch it to the music receiver it won't trigger. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Do you have it set up to trigger if connected to one or the other, or is it accidentally set up to trigger if connected to both?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

It's set up to trigger when it connects to one only. I was trying to say that I've tried setting both receivers separately as the triggering device.

Does it turn green in the profile list when you're connected to one of them? Can you post a screenshot (or PM me a screenshot, or email me username at gmail if you don't want it public for some reason)? Seems weird that it wouldn't be triggering, as it's not a particularly difficult profile to set up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

It doesn't turn green. I wasn't sure which part of the app you wanted a screenshot of, so I tapped on the profile in question while it was connected to both receivers (the phone, not Tasker):

Mine just has the name of the bluetooth adapter without the comma and mac address. Try deleting everything after the name and see what happens.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Now that that is fixed, I have a request of my own (which since this thread is dead, probably won't be answered). I have a bluetooth adapter in my car that plugs into the cig lighter, and it's the kind that is always being powered, even when the vehicle is off. Therefor, I created a profile that would disconnect my phone from the adapter 2 minutes after I connect to my home wifi. The problem this causes me is that, often, when I'm leaving home I'll start playing music, and as I'm leaving, I'll very briefly leave the range of my wifi, then very briefly connect again before getting out of range permanently. This causes my aforementioned profile to trigger and two minutes later, my phone disconnects from the adapter.

Is there some way that I can make it check to see if it's still connected to wifi at the end of the 2 minute wait, or any other ideas to stop this from happening?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

How close is your car to your house? You could just tell it to disconnect when it can't find the BT device anymore, if that's an ability Tasker has.

Nope, it stays connected from most areas of my home. My living room is like 25 feet from my garage and my phone is usually there unless I'm sleeping.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Midjack posted:

Can Tasker do a WHILE loop or is that too complicated?

I'm not sure about WHILE loop but I may have got it to work with [IF %WIFII ~ *CONNECTED*]

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

That could be. I did go into Circa and set the notifications to be silent.

While I'm here, my task that disables my PIN lock is unreliable. It's supposed to run when I'm at home (geographically) and when I connect to my car's bluetooth. Before Vykk.Draygo helped me re-tool my car profile, the home one always worked. Now it's kind of a crapshoot whether it will or not, but the car one always works fine, despite using the exact same task. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Just a theory, but perhaps tasker is finding your home location before disconnecting from Bluetooth, so the home profile never triggers for some reason.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

Oooh, that's a good theory. Any idea on how to fix it?

Try adding "not connected to [bluetooth device]" to the home profile so that it doesn't trigger until you disconnect.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

How can I set the notification volume to vibrate? In the help for that setting, it doesn't mention anything about vibrate.

At least with stock android, you can't because ringer and notifications are linked. The best you can do is set your phone to vibrate mode then have another profile that turns off vibrate mode when you get a call.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

I the ringer to be on vibrate as well, so however that works would be fine.

If you just want notifications and ringer to be on vibrate, then its New Task -> Audio -> Silent Mode -> Vibrate.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

stevewm posted:

Tasker seems to have problems working properly on my phone.. A Motorola Droid Maxx.

I normally keep all my volumes maxed. And I have a Tasker profile setup to turn them down to a little less than half when connected to the office wifi. This part always works. However when the profile is deactivated more than half the time the volumes are not returned to their previous level.

From what I understand reading the Tasker documentation, Settings items such as volume should return to their previous state when the profile they are linked to is no longer active, but this does not seem to be occurring all the time.

I do not run any task manager or any sort of "power saving" app that would interfere with Tasker's operation. The OS on the phone is bone stock and not rooted. I have tried the Run In Foreground setting which has not helped. I have also tried clearing Tasker's data and reinstalling the app with no change.

Any ideas?

Set an exit task to put the volume where you want them?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

stevewm posted:

HAHAHA I feel really dumb now. I stupidly assumed since it is supposed to restore previous state there would not be a way to set a disconnect event. However after looking again I realized there is a NOT checkbox which turns the Connected event into a Not Connected event. Problem solved!

Well that's not quite what I meant. I think you just created a second profile to deal with it, but I was talking about long pressing on the task in your current profile, selecting exit task, and setting your volumes where you want them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Set up a profile that triggers on Wi-Fi range, then turns the profile off. Set up a second profile that turns the first profile back on at midnight or some other time that you're definitely not at work.

Edit: that doesn't work if you need it to set volumes as you exit work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

System Settings -> Developer Options -> uncheck Stay Awake?

• Locked thread