Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

For a lot less than $300 you should be able to put a speaker-height shelf in there for the TV to sit on. Then if you wanted to get fancy you hide the amp behind a panel and even hide the speakers with cloth that matches the woodwork.

My point, exactly. I was just offering him another option in case he didn't own the place or was unwilling to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A shelf for the screen means you can fit a bigger TV in there too. ;)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

My point, exactly. I was just offering him another option in case he didn't own the place or was unwilling to do that.

If you had two interior walls on either side of the receiver, I don't think you'd need to make it permanent. Just a couple of cleats tacked into the wall would be plenty.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Schwack posted:

I hate it.

Easy solution: lose the TV and spend your evenings listening to music.

Maybe you just need sturdier mounting brackets?

http://www.cotytech.com/content-product_info/product_id-2276/ceiling_bracket_for_large_satellite_speaker_sp_os03.html
http://www.cotytech.com/content-product_info/product_id-2277/side_clamping_bookshelf_speaker_wall_mount_sp_os08.html

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've got my media rack next to my couch. Easier to swap out playstation games and keeps it out of sight in the front. You really only need to run power and HDMI.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mine is in the basement. I just buy all my games digital.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Brain Issues posted:

Take a picture from further back showing your room so we can see what you have for space to work with.

Those are very good speakers your father gave you and you will not even come close to their quality with a budget of $300 for a full 2.1 set up.

So it sounds like I should try to work with the speakers I've got. Sounds good.

Here are a few pictures of the room:

It's likely we'll be changing the configuration of furniture in there, this is just stuff we're using until we find some new bits.

Not only is the shelf small, but the room itself is pretty tight too. We do own the house, so I a shelf is a definite possibility.

KillHour posted:

Those Polk speakers cost about $1000 new, and that subwoofer costs $300 on sale. Any soundbar on the planet is going to be a massive downgrade.

If you own the place, I would either build a second shelf above that (giving you some room for your components) or mount the TV on a swiveling/panning mount so it's not sitting directly on the receiver. Then wall-mount the speakers on either side. Will look a million times better.

Also, if you want to spend that $300, on something, you could switch out that receiver for something less massive, which might solve your problem:

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...oLU0aAi8p8P8HAQ

I'd still wall-mount the speakers.

Those wall mounts posted earlier look pretty nice. That would clear up a lot of space. Installing a shelf seems like it would also let me put the center channel up there, although I'm not sure its necessary. I like the idea of buying a smaller receiver. This one is pretty old, but it's still got more features than a normie like me will ever know how to use correctly. Do most brands produce smaller form factor receivers like that? I feel like I might have a hard time convincing the girlfriend it's necessary to dump that kind of money into a single piece.

revmoo posted:

I've got my media rack next to my couch. Easier to swap out playstation games and keeps it out of sight in the front. You really only need to run power and HDMI.

Honestly, I'd like to do something like this, but I've never run wires through walls. Is it exceptionally difficult? Running wires through the wall would also let me put the subwoofer out of sight by the couch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Unless you are going to put your couch on a 4ft lift, move the tv from the mantle to the left side of the fireplace.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Schwack posted:

Those wall mounts posted earlier look pretty nice. That would clear up a lot of space. Installing a shelf seems like it would also let me put the center channel up there, although I'm not sure its necessary. I like the idea of buying a smaller receiver. This one is pretty old, but it's still got more features than a normie like me will ever know how to use correctly. Do most brands produce smaller form factor receivers like that? I feel like I might have a hard time convincing the girlfriend it's necessary to dump that kind of money into a single piece.

No. Marantz is one of the very few companies that produce low profile receivers. And that is the least expensive one I know of.

Schwack posted:

Honestly, I'd like to do something like this, but I've never run wires through walls. Is it exceptionally difficult? Running wires through the wall would also let me put the subwoofer out of sight by the couch.

It's pretty easy. The only difficult part is getting through the studs. A really long drill bit and some spackle should take care of that, though.

You can even get wallplates with binding posts to keep everything looking tidy.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Or flat wires. You can even get flat HDMI now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Seconding moving that TV to somewhere that isn't almost touching the ceiling.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Schwack posted:

TBH I'm a slob so I just have a bunch of wires run against one side of the room in a bundle. I'll eventually run them under the floor in my basement but that will wait till I buy new carpet. You can get little box conduits to run against the wall. Running through the wall is pretty much impossible since you have studs in the way, you'd need to go through your basement or attic most likely.

EDIT: If it's just HDMI and one or two other cables, you can most likely tuck them underneath your quarter-round or floor trim. Just use a plastic pry tool or something to jam it into the gap. I've done this on hardwood and on carpet.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you want to get rid of those speakers, I'll throw you a hundred for 'em. I'll even pay shipping!

Seriously, that's a great set to inherit. Whatever you have to do to get them set up will be worth it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

revmoo posted:

TBH I'm a slob so I just have a bunch of wires run against one side of the room in a bundle. I'll eventually run them under the floor in my basement but that will wait till I buy new carpet. You can get little box conduits to run against the wall. Running through the wall is pretty much impossible since you have studs in the way, you'd need to go through your basement or attic most likely.

EDIT: If it's just HDMI and one or two other cables, you can most likely tuck them underneath your quarter-round or floor trim. Just use a plastic pry tool or something to jam it into the gap. I've done this on hardwood and on carpet.

It's been made very clear to me that lots of exposed wires won't fly for this project. Definitely need to find some way to hide them. I suppose they could be run behind the fireplace and then into the crawlspace. That sounds reasonable to my dumb brain. I was looking at the trim earlier, and it's pretty tight. I'm not sure I'd be able to fit much under there. Seems to be about 1/32" gap between the trim and flooring.

Don Lapre posted:

Unless you are going to put your couch on a 4ft lift, move the tv from the mantle to the left side of the fireplace.

RCarr posted:

Seconding moving that TV to somewhere that isn't almost touching the ceiling.

This idea was soundly shot down, unfortunately. I'm not a huge fan of this shelf. I would rather have a shorter fireplace, slightly larger room and the TV in a different position, but I think it's going to have to stay up high.

KillHour posted:

No. Marantz is one of the very few companies that produce low profile receivers. And that is the least expensive one I know of.

I'll definitely keep that slim receiver in mind. Ideally, I'll find a way to get everything stuffed into a corner and off the fireplace.

I drew a 9 year olds interpretation of how I should lay everything out.

It doesn't seem like those wall mounts will work with the speakers I've got, they're slightly too long. I found a set on Amazon: http://amzn.com/B000X9O8SI which seem like they'll do the trick.

edit: Seriously, thanks for all the suggestions. You've all been exceptionally helpful.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just get a TV big enough to hide all the wires going to the speakers, and you're set. :haw:

Seriously, though. Just run the wires up the side of the studs if you already know where they are.

Voila. You now only have wires visible along the top of the mantle in the corner where they won't be visible.

The subwoofer wiring will probably require you to go down to the crawlspace, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 27, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That living room is a disaster for a home theatre. I would be picking a different room honestly. My home theatre is a bedroom, I don't actually have a TV in my "living room" because it's about as ergonomic as yours is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

revmoo posted:

That living room is a disaster for a home theatre. I would be picking a different room honestly. My home theatre is a bedroom, I don't actually have a TV in my "living room" because it's about as ergonomic as yours is.

It seems like his significant other is dictating this.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Getting your first home audio system? Get rid of the fireplace and your SO.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

KillHour posted:

It seems like his significant other is dictating this.

Pretty much. It's never going to be a real 'home theatre' and I'm OK with that. That little alcove absolutely destroys the sound coming out of the TV, so I grabbed these speakers from storage and here I am.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah that room is bullshit. I'd move the TV to the left of the fireplace and have the left speaker wall mounted, right one on the shelf aimed at the seating position (which has now moved to directly in front of the TV).

...but this is me. Good luck.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I know you said it's staying, but what does the wall to the far right look like (right of the window)? Could you put the set up there? The added benefit is you could get a L shape where your couch is, and next to the fireplace so it is still useful.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

I know you said it's staying, but what does the wall to the far right look like (right of the window)? Could you put the set up there? The added benefit is you could get a L shape where your couch is, and next to the fireplace so it is still useful.

That wall is 6' long. I'd be interested, but I think selling here on a sectional would be... a challenge. We had a sectional in our last house and ended up hating the thing by the end.

The fireplace isn't optimal, but it seems to be what I'm stuck with. I've been looking at the plans for the house and it looks like I've got plenty of access under the fireplace. It seems like I could use a hole saw to open a spot in the corner of the shelf, drop the wiring down, run it under the house and then pop it up wherever I put the receiver and subwoofer. Again, not ideal, but it sounds like it will work. I've got the speaker mounts on order, so they'll be in next week and I can finish the whole project up.

KillHour posted:

Just get a TV big enough to hide all the wires going to the speakers, and you're set. :haw:

Seriously, though. Just run the wires up the side of the studs if you already know where they are.

Voila. You now only have wires visible along the top of the mantle in the corner where they won't be visible.

The subwoofer wiring will probably require you to go down to the crawlspace, though.

I missed this suggestion!

I think the only way I could make this work would be to keep the receiver up on the shelf and install a second shelf for the TV. If I had a better/smaller receiver I might be more inclined to do that, as it stands I think I'll end up building a small extension to match the height of the center channel. That will act as a stand for the TV and the center channel will be able to sit in the center of the shelf.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 28, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Atleast get a wall mount that extends and tils the tv down. Also if you have room under the house to fish wire you can put the receiver anywhere, in a corner, in a closet. etc... along with all your components

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Atleast get a wall mount that extends and tils the tv down. Also if you have room under the house to fish wire you can put the receiver anywhere, in a corner, in a closet. etc... along with all your components

Right now, the plan is to put them in the far left corner which will keep them hidden behind the couch.

As I'm 'finalizing' what I'll be doing, my only concern is how the speakers are going to look hanging off the wall. They're like 15 inches long... I'm wondering if I shouldnt set them back a little bit or something. Their size seems to really limit the options for placement.

edit: I looked for mounts specific to corners, and only saw one from WalMart which didnt look too sturdy. I suppose I could just get one with an arm that swings out and tilts, yeah?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stupid question from a first timer here.

I bought my first 3.1 sound system this weekend.

Receiver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXGUETO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Center- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2EI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Left/Right- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sub- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVQBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hooked up the receiver, center, and left/right speakers no problem. They sound great! I went to hook up the sub and got a little confused. The sub inputs are as shown here:

Now I assume I need to buy a cord that goes from my sub-out input on the receiver and splits in two for the line in (L/R) inputs on the sub? Neither the sub nor the receiver came with this cord so I'm not too sure. I don't have to touch any of the speaker wire inputs on here do I? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't wanna screw anything up :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You assume correctly, pre-outs are used for any speaker that has an amp built in. This is usually the sub in 99% of cases. From the pre-out on the back of the receiver plug your cable in to the Line In L channel on the sub.

You may need to go into the settings on the receiver to get it up and running, I'm not an Onkyo man so I can't say for sure but for cabling it's very very simple.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RCarr posted:

I hooked up the receiver, center, and left/right speakers no problem. They sound great! I went to hook up the sub and got a little confused. The sub inputs are as shown here:

Now I assume I need to buy a cord that goes from my sub-out input on the receiver and splits in two for the line in (L/R) inputs on the sub? Neither the sub nor the receiver came with this cord so I'm not too sure. I don't have to touch any of the speaker wire inputs on here do I? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't wanna screw anything up :)

You can just use a mono RCA cable, the sub will sum the L+R inputs together into one, anyway.

The speaker level inputs are only for situations where you don't have specific subwoofer output from your receiver.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
I have the craziest problem with my Marantz tuner, when I look down scopes in video games it sometimes just stops putting out signal till I unscope. I think it's something to do with the sudden increase in black on the screen? God knows. It persists till I unplug stuff the hdmi to my tv and plug it back in. Hell if I know why.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Think this is the best thread for this question.

Setting up the supplied TV in my new grad school dorm with my own receiver. The cable TV service just comes from the wall via coax into the TV. My receiver doesn't have a coax in so I can't connect directly to it. Is there some way I can still use my speakers through the receiver with the regular TV service? Would there need to be an HDMI out from the TV which goes to the receiver and then it goes back to the TV through the receiver's HDMI out?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

KingKapalone posted:

Think this is the best thread for this question.

Setting up the supplied TV in my new grad school dorm with my own receiver. The cable TV service just comes from the wall via coax into the TV. My receiver doesn't have a coax in so I can't connect directly to it. Is there some way I can still use my speakers through the receiver with the regular TV service? Would there need to be an HDMI out from the TV which goes to the receiver and then it goes back to the TV through the receiver's HDMI out?

Depending on your tv/receiver, you would either use the optical out from the TV to the receiver, or use audio return channel (ARC) to send the audio back to your receiver over the same HDMI that goes into it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Either use optical or ARC if the TV and receiver has it or get an HDMI cable tuner.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

the nicker posted:

Depending on your tv/receiver, you would either use the optical out from the TV to the receiver, or use audio return channel (ARC) to send the audio back to your receiver over the same HDMI that goes into it.

I see that the TV (Sharp LC-60EQ10U) has ARC over HDMI 1. I'm not seeing anything in the audio settings on the TV though for it. Does the receiver need to support it? I'm not really sure what input the receiver would need to be set to either since it's not actually using any of its inputs.

edit: ok my receiver does not support it. How does an optical setup normally work?

edit2: nevermind I got it all setup. The audio is only coming from the two towers and not the center channel though. I wonder if the sub will do anything. (I have a 3.1 setup)

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 10, 2015

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

KingKapalone posted:

I see that the TV (Sharp LC-60EQ10U) has ARC over HDMI 1. I'm not seeing anything in the audio settings on the TV though for it. Does the receiver need to support it? I'm not really sure what input the receiver would need to be set to either since it's not actually using any of its inputs.

edit: ok my receiver does not support it. How does an optical setup normally work?

edit2: nevermind I got it all setup. The audio is only coming from the two towers and not the center channel though. I wonder if the sub will do anything. (I have a 3.1 setup)

Optical out from TV -> receiver is limited to 2 channel only (unless the source is internal to TV). This has to do with the HDMI spec (pirates are going to grab the audio stream from the HDCP device!), so you can only receive multi channel audio over optical from an internal source such as Netflix on TV or OTA TV... nothing from an external HDMI source going into the TV. :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

jink posted:

Optical out from TV -> receiver is limited to 2 channel only (unless the source is internal to TV). This has to do with the HDMI spec (pirates are going to grab the audio stream from the HDCP device!), so you can only receive multi channel audio over optical from an internal source such as Netflix on TV or OTA TV... nothing from an external HDMI source going into the TV. :(

Fucks sake

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kill all copy protection and DRM proponents. No mercy. If you ever suggest putting copy protection in a product *BOOM* bullet to the back of the head. That's the only way to fight that bullshit.

HDCP just fucks up everything, and does not hinder copying at all.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The people pushing copy protection need to realise that nerds crack that kinda poo poo just for fun. Nothing you will ever create is safe from some dude bored out of his mind in his bedroom if he chooses to gently caress with it.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Anyone know of a good and reasonably priced 2.0 stereo amplifier/receiver? I'm splitting up my old 5.1 system and looking to put the old main speakers (Floor standing Energy speakers from 20 years ago that sound amazingly crisp) on the computer in a different room. So really don't need anything other than a simple amp/volume control...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

unknown posted:

Anyone know of a good and reasonably priced 2.0 stereo amplifier/receiver? I'm splitting up my old 5.1 system and looking to put the old main speakers (Floor standing Energy speakers from 20 years ago that sound amazingly crisp) on the computer in a different room. So really don't need anything other than a simple amp/volume control...

For what value of "reasonably priced?" There's Chinese tripath amps for $50, cheap receivers on ac4l for $150 or full featured stuff like the NAD D3020 for $400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

heh, forgot this is home audio where prices can be weird. Price wise I was looking in the ~$100 range hopefully, but am flexible. I'm thinking I'll end up with used receiver off CL or something, but was looking for my options.