Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

You don't have to go all silver-face analog VU meters wooden cases vintage hipster with your choices.

I suppose that's technically a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigFactory posted:

I suppose that's technically a choice.

Yes, but only technically.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes, but only technically.

One only has to look at your recent posts in the vintage thread to realize what kind of a choice it is.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Does anyone want to talk me out of the Denon S910W?

The price is pretty good on accessories for less.

My current situation is I live in an apartment and will most likely be going with a 3.0 setup. Probably those pioneer ones for the apartment.

But at some point in the next year or two we will be buying a house. So it seems like a good "future proof" receiver for me to pick now. My only request is a basement to turn into a media room/entertaining area.

I use the hell out of Spotify and my wife is all apple and will use the AirPlay feature a lot to torture me with One Direction songs.

It has a fuckload of HDMI inputs. Looks great, does 4K pass through, has all the HDMI/HDCP bells and whistles. It's not that money isn't an issue but I don't mind spending now if it means I don't have to spend again for the next 5-8 years.

I'm also not buying immediately so I can wait to see if a deal pops up.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 10, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

X3100W is only $50 more.

Pros:
- Has HDMI 2 for 4K @ 60
- Has separate Zone 2 HDMI output instead of just 2 mirrored Zone 1 outs
- Has better Audyssey (XT Pro instead of XT)
- Has trigger output and IR in/out jacks in case you're integrating this into a smart home or whatever
- Has detachable power cord
- Supports DSD (LOL, who cares?)
- MORE POWAH!

Cons:
- Lacks Dolby Atmos (But supports DSX, the Audyssey version)

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/HomeTheater/AVReceiversHT/AVRS910W
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/HomeTheater/AVReceiversHT/AVRX3100W

If none of those matter, get the cheaper one. But I'd get the X3100W just for the HDMI 2.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

KillHour posted:

X3100W is only $50 more.

Pros:
- Has HDMI 2 for 4K @ 60
- Has separate Zone 2 HDMI output instead of just 2 mirrored Zone 1 outs
- Has better Audyssey (XT Pro instead of XT)
- Has trigger output and IR in/out jacks in case you're integrating this into a smart home or whatever
- Has detachable power cord
- Supports DSD (LOL, who cares?)
- MORE POWAH!

Cons:
- Lacks Dolby Atmos (But supports DSX, the Audyssey version)

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/HomeTheater/AVReceiversHT/AVRS910W
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/HomeTheater/AVReceiversHT/AVRX3100W

If none of those matter, get the cheaper one. But I'd get the X3100W just for the HDMI 2.

And the X series has a longer warranty right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AFAIK, all the stuff on accessories4less is factory refurbished and has a 1 year warranty.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Can someone recommend an inexpensive stereo receiver/amp? My parents have a super old rear end stereo/amp/whatever with a component CD and the volume slider is gone. My mom would like to replace it so they can listen to their CDs again. Giving them a few options, she thinks just replacing the receiver the best (vs going to a home theater receiver).

The speakers are unknown, from the 70s or 80s and I recall them sounding good/loud when I lived with them so I imagine they're not total crap. I don't think they need anything real fancy, their lovely sony boombox CD player just isn't up to par. Unfortunately since I have no idea what the speakers are, I don't know their impedance or anything, maybe I can get my mom to try and pull one out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Can someone recommend an inexpensive stereo receiver/amp? My parents have a super old rear end stereo/amp/whatever with a component CD and the volume slider is gone. My mom would like to replace it so they can listen to their CDs again. Giving them a few options, she thinks just replacing the receiver the best (vs going to a home theater receiver).

The speakers are unknown, from the 70s or 80s and I recall them sounding good/loud when I lived with them so I imagine they're not total crap. I don't think they need anything real fancy, their lovely sony boombox CD player just isn't up to par. Unfortunately since I have no idea what the speakers are, I don't know their impedance or anything, maybe I can get my mom to try and pull one out.

Post your local Craigslist.

Edit: Or get something like this.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8020/onkyo-tx-8020-50-watts-2-channel-stereo-receiver/1.html

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/

Would I be better off just getting a cheap home theater receiver in case they ever wanted to go 3.0 or 3.1?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do current receivers have on-screen displays for HDMI connections, or does HDCP and the like still make that impossible?

My old Onkyo only did OSD on analog inputs, which I always found frustrating. (It's still my current receiver, but the analog side broke entirely, so now it has no OSD.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/

Would I be better off just getting a cheap home theater receiver in case they ever wanted to go 3.0 or 3.1?

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/ele/5265274992.html

See if this guy will come down a bit.

As for 3.1, it depends.No point wasting money if they're only ever going to use it for music.

smackfu posted:

Do current receivers have on-screen displays for HDMI connections, or does HDCP and the like still make that impossible?

My old Onkyo only did OSD on analog inputs, which I always found frustrating. (It's still my current receiver, but the analog side broke entirely, so now it has no OSD.)

Most do nowadays. It's not an HDCP thing, it's a processing power thing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Thanks for the suggestion. They guy is an hour away and two hours from my parents house, dunno if I care that much just yet, haha...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Andrew Jones ELAC speakers are out now, and apparently people really like them. The sweet spot seems to be the $279/pair B6 bookshelf. The only real downside I see to them is no mounting hardware for surround channels and they might be a little hard to drive at 87dB down to 6 ohms but people from fancy audiophile websites have been raving about them for months so they might be worth a look. The subwoofers don't look like anything special for the price though.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
After an insane amount of hemming and hawing, I ended up purchasing a refurb Denon S710W from Accessories4Less through Amazon. Discovering I could do that and rely on Amazon to make it right if anything went wrong was what put me over the buy threshold.

Purchased on Monday, arrived around noon today (Friday); that's quite good for 25lb, $16 shipping from Florida to Arizona. Unit looks brand new. As the wife puts it, "You'd never know it was used."

Setting up my 5.1 main room was a breeze, maybe 15 minutes to go through the Audyssey setup. Tomorrow I'll be setting up my Zone 2 in the other room. I didn't skip that due to any significant complication. It's all routed through the walls and I need to determine which are the correct speaker cables. Prior to this purchase, I was using an old 5.1 $25 CL special from 2002, so I never bothered to identify which wires are for the 2 speakers in the other room. The WiFi was slightly painful what with having to input a ~40 character password with the on-screen menu. I did not check to see if it would recognize a USB keyboard.

Being able to stream content via Bluetooth is awesome and I've made use of that already. Internet, AM & FM radio worked out of the box. After Zone 2, I'll look into streaming shared content from my network. Getting it to work on my old PS3 was a breeze, so I imagine this will be no more difficult.

This is my second AVR, counting the $25 special that I used for 3 months, so treat the following accordingly. The sound is a lot better than before. As the speakers haven't changed, I'm going to chalk that up to mostly the Audyssey calibration. Having HDMI input and all the modern connections and conveniences is a breath of fresh air. Worth every penny of the $350. Once I'm prepared to spend more money, I'll look into upgrading the speakers proper. I imagine that will be a more expensive proposition.

In summary, thanks thread! 3 months of mostly lurking gave me a good idea of the landscape and what I wanted out of a receiver. The Accessories4Less suggestion saved me $150/33%.

Edit:
Can anybody recommend a set of at least 14 banana plugs that I can attach to my speaker wires? Screwing those guys down is painful and from what I've seen the banana plug look is a lot cleaner. Online preferably.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 14, 2015

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.

qirex posted:

The Andrew Jones ELAC speakers are out now, and apparently people really like them. The sweet spot seems to be the $279/pair B6 bookshelf. The only real downside I see to them is no mounting hardware for surround channels and they might be a little hard to drive at 87dB down to 6 ohms but people from fancy audiophile websites have been raving about them for months so they might be worth a look. The subwoofers don't look like anything special for the price though.

I'm actually thinking about buying a set of these. My plan is

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable
Schiit Audio Mani Phono Pre-Amp
Emotiva mini-X a-100 Stereo Flex Amplifer
ELAC - Debut B6 Bookshelf Speakers

Does that sound reasonable? I'm not sure I can do much better than that for ~$1k.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the cheapest good speaker amp I can get? Just for 2.1. One with a sub out would be nice though not required.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cheapest good stereo amp, optionally with a subwoofer output?

Just about any second-hand stereo amp with 50WPC or more from the 80s or later. Depending on how loud you want to go, as little as 20WPC could be fine, actually.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 19, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The Polk psw505 is going to on sale for black Friday at newegg, $169'

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Google Butt posted:

The Polk psw505 is going to on sale for black Friday at newegg, $169'

Is there a good list of Black friday sub's going on sale? That was definitely one of the ones I wanted to grab or this one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VIWK0G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=F6KF2T6UJZ8N&coliid=I9SIO520C4R2V

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I ordered my polk psw505 and SP-FS52. How important is a receiver that had a crossover built in with this setup? Will something like this be fine?

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-A...85%3A2470955011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It should be fine, you can run the speaker cables from the amp to the sub and then from the sub to the speakers. However, I don't know what the highpass filter is on the the speaker level outputs on the sub (if there is a highpass filter at all), so you'll probably have to play around with the lowpass knob on the sub to find the proper balance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also, if there isn't a highpass filter on the speaker outputs, it's a lot easier to damage the speakers. I bought an active crossover for my office setup specifically because I was worried about the excursion levels I was seeing at loud volumes.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
Does anyone have any experience with the Onkyo TX-8020?

I'm debating purchasing it instead of a Schiit Mani and Emotova mini-X because multiple inputs would be great, but I'm not sure how it will actually sound.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have one in my office. It sounds like nothing - it's an amp.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've done a bit of reading/searching in this thread for soundbars, and what I have seen is pretty negative in general. including the posts just below this one from a couple days ago.

My mom wants to buy my dad a 2.1 soundbar for christmas though and has asked me for advice. I know nothing about them other than the ones I have seen are generally in a store like walmart and are something I wouldn't personally buy (I have a 5.1 setup personally). They were in some store though earlier this year and he really liked the sound that came out of one versus his TV speakers so now he needs one. I see the posts directly below (mentioning a cheap amp) but I am not sure that's how we should go for this scenario.

For a limited budget (say, <$400?) is there such thing as a "reasonable" soundbar or a simple substitute for a 2.1 soundbar? Doesn't need any video playback capabilities, he has a PS3 which he uses as a DVD/Bluray/Netflix box.

Just 2.1 audio, nothing special. Remote would be nice too for obvious reasons. Some used amp won't float it as it is intended as a gift and I can easily see a multitude of input options confusing the heck out of him as he's almost a senior and pretty technically clueless.

E: I guess I'm asking, if a person were to buy a soundbar, is there one or brand to recommend? Or what is the closest "soundbar-like" thing?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 21, 2015

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

slidebite posted:

I've done a bit of reading/searching in this thread for soundbars, and what I have seen is pretty negative in general. including the posts just below this one from a couple days ago.

My mom wants to buy my dad a 2.1 soundbar for christmas though and has asked me for advice. I know nothing about them other than the ones I have seen are generally in a store like walmart and are something I wouldn't personally buy (I have a 5.1 setup personally). They were in some store though earlier this year and he really liked the sound that came out of one versus his TV speakers so now he needs one. I see the posts directly below (mentioning a cheap amp) but I am not sure that's how we should go for this scenario.

For a limited budget (say, <$400?) is there such thing as a "reasonable" soundbar or a simple substitute for a 2.1 soundbar? Doesn't need any video playback capabilities, he has a PS3 which he uses as a DVD/Bluray/Netflix box.

Just 2.1 audio, nothing special. Remote would be nice too for obvious reasons. Some used amp won't float it as it is intended as a gift and I can easily see a multitude of input options confusing the heck out of him as he's almost a senior and pretty technically clueless.

E: I guess I'm asking, if a person were to buy a soundbar, is there one or brand to recommend? Or what is the closest "soundbar-like" thing?

I like thewirecutter for these types of questions. This link addresses the best budget soundbar options, while this link begins the voyage into crazy town.

Hope this helps.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

he really liked the sound that came out of one versus his TV speakers

While I would never buy a soundbar for myself and would opt towards 2.1 + a cheap amp, this is hard to argue against. If he likes it, who can say he's wrong?

I'd get something like this for myself with the budget you have available:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-S201...ords=stereo+amp
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG (haven't heard the ELAC speakers yet)
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...=polk+subwoofer

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

While I would never buy a soundbar for myself and would opt towards 2.1 + a cheap amp, this is hard to argue against. If he likes it, who can say he's wrong?

I'd get something like this for myself with the budget you have available:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-S201...ords=stereo+amp
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG (haven't heard the ELAC speakers yet)
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...=polk+subwoofer

I'd also like to make the point that if you set that up right, it would be no more complicated to use than a soundbar. In fact, depending on the TV, you may never need to use the receiver's remote (except to turn it off if you want. I always leave mine on).

Edit:

A4L has the same receiver for cheaper.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/stereoreceivers/home-audio/receivers-amps/stereo-receivers/1.html

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 22, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I got my setuop. Yamaha rx 377, psw505 and 2 fs52's. Whenever I try to use the YPAO thing it switches my speakers to the large setting, thus disabling the lpf and my sub. I just switched it back to small and kept whatever settings it created. Anyone know if that's alright?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the replies, will check them out.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

slidebite posted:

These are real fuckin cool. The fit and finish is going to blow away any soundbar thats $400. Only thing is it doesnt take an hdmi input, but thats not a huge deal in my opinion, the tv can just output optical sound most likely (or optical straight from the ps3 to this)

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...uced-200/1.html

I have absolutely no use for these but im tempted to get some just to act as a glorified pc speaker setup.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Question: I have four Yamaha in-ceiling speakers (NS-IW280C) that came with the house, so I'm finally getting a receiver after 3 years of them going unused. Is the Onkyo TX-SR343 still a good receiver in the sub-$300 range, or am I overlooking something obviously superior? The Bluetooth support is attractive, but otherwise I find the various bells and whistles and acronyms available on other receivers to be largely incomprehensible. I'm hoping none of them are secretly important. I might get a center speaker at some point but I'm going to try doing without at first.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dialogue and such in movies might be unclear due to in-ceiling speakers generally pointing downwards and having lovely listening angles. The sweet spot will be directly underneath them and a few feet in any direction, outside of that there's no direct line of sight for the highs to hit you earholes so stuff might sound a little indistinct. I'd use in ceilings as rears but never in place of a set of fronts or a centre channel.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Polk PSW505 is on sale at amazon for 169.99

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12...GA3E71TEF14J91Q

I snagged it :woop:

Veskit fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 25, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

Dialogue and such in movies might be unclear due to in-ceiling speakers generally pointing downwards and having lovely listening angles. The sweet spot will be directly underneath them and a few feet in any direction, outside of that there's no direct line of sight for the highs to hit you earholes so stuff might sound a little indistinct. I'd use in ceilings as rears but never in place of a set of fronts or a centre channel.

Thanks for the heads-up. As long as the receiver is fine I guess I can always buy more speakers or a sound bar or whatever later.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. Could you please suggest 5.1 setup (receiver + speakers)? My spending limit is 1K.

Thank you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gonna need more info than that, homeslice. Read the OP.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.

KillHour posted:

Gonna need more info than that, homeslice. Read the OP.

I'm sorry - not sure what I'm missing... As per the OP: "A good system will cost you $1000-1500 plus whatever you want for video or audio sources." but doesn't list examples of equipment.

I'm looking for a 5.1 system, so receiver + all the speakers. Ideally nothing too large (my wife would love - bookshelf-size speakers on stands...) As far as sources are concerned, I'll use cable box, DVD player and would also like to connect my PC (iTunes + VLC) via ethernet cable to stream audio and video. Maybe Playstation as well. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Edit: If I could get something nice for, let's say, $700 (e.g. since Black Friday is tomorrow) - that would be even better.
Edit: Some people mention amplifiers in addition to receivers. No idea if I need that.

Unexpected fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm looking to hook up a couple of speakers and maybe a sub for music listening. I'm not going to use the system for anything else.

My room is cramped and our walls are thin (sharing an apartment), so I don't necessarily need anything with eardrum-bursting capabilities. The speakers will be small and probably easily driven.

Any of ya'll able to recommend a small no-frills 2.0-2.1 receiver/amplifier? Bonus points if it has a USB port and can play FLAC files. I listen to a lot of classical music, so I want a receiver that can provide a neutral sound (coupled with the right sort of speakers, natch). If not new, any specific second-hand units to look for?

Spending limit is about $200.