Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Chili posted:

Thanks to all those who helped me out a week back. I found some good bookshelf speakers for my two fronts. Now I've got another question.

As far as my subwoofer goes, I'm very limited in where it can go. If it's on the floor, it'll become the cat's bitch, no questions asked. I've got a subwoofer that I'm trying to place, and right now the only place I can see it working is on the glass tv stand thing I have. It currently houses my center channel with no problems, but I'm worried that because the subwoofer is down firing the glass may screw it up. Any idea if that'll be an issue?

Acquire squirt gun, spray cat if it goes near the sub. Done.

I'd be concerned about putting a sub on glass if only because every one I've known that wasn't a little piddly passive one had feet, particularly down firing ones, and those just concentrate the weight in tiny spots as opposed to spreading it.

How exactly would the cat not get to it if it's on a TV stand and not the floor anyway? Cats are pretty good at climbing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I'm planning to use one of these under my speakers if/when we get a cat:
https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-ScatMat-Training-Large-inches/dp/B0007NTBJ6

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Acquire squirt gun, spray cat if it goes near the sub. Done.

I'd be concerned about putting a sub on glass if only because every one I've known that wasn't a little piddly passive one had feet, particularly down firing ones, and those just concentrate the weight in tiny spots as opposed to spreading it.

How exactly would the cat not get to it if it's on a TV stand and not the floor anyway? Cats are pretty good at climbing...

There's no room for him to get up there and pee on it. He could probably find a way but so far he's avoided the front channel and only went after what was on the floor.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I have a pair of Energy A3+2-1 floorstanding speakers which I really like, but one has developed a rattle in its rear tweeter. I'm trying to pull it apart so I can check if there's actually a crack or just a lose screw... but while I'm thinking about it, is there any consensus on reasonably priced floorstanding speakers? I know the Andrew Jones Pioneer and now Elac bookshelves have been well liked. Does that extend to his floorstanding models?

Thanks!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Not 100% sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for a bluetooth speaker. It's to stand on my nightstand and play ambient stuff while I fall asleep. I want good sound and something thats not super gaudy looking. So far I've looked at the JBL Flip 2 and the Libratone Zipp BT, are there any other speakers you guys would recommend?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Not 100% sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for a bluetooth speaker. It's to stand on my nightstand and play ambient stuff while I fall asleep. I want good sound and something thats not super gaudy looking. So far I've looked at the JBL Flip 2 and the Libratone Zipp BT, are there any other speakers you guys would recommend?

I just got the UE Roll 2 and I really like it. The sound quality is really good, it looks cool, it's waterproof, small and the bungee makes it easy to hang. Only complaint is that the bass is a little weak and you can't change the song from the speaker. But for $100 I don't know if you can find anything better.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Trent Razor1911 posted:

For best sound quality a set of active speakers, or passive + cheap amp, in addition to a bluetooth receiver, would likely be best. With the all-in-ones you're often paying for packaging, durability, battery etc.

Some Micca MB42s + lepai 2020a amp + generic bluetooth aux receiver should be ~$80

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yea, I realized that with a portable bluetooth speaker I'd be paying for a few features that I wouldn't be using as you said. Neither the speakers or amp you mentioned are available in my country unfortunately, however, I did find these bluetooth speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-USA-e25-Eclipse-Bluetooth/dp/B00GDDTTFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467038282&sr=8-1 which seem like a pretty good fit for my use case (good sound, nice looks and no subwoofer). Wonder if anyone here has experience with them or at least the brand?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Yea, I realized that with a portable bluetooth speaker I'd be paying for a few features that I wouldn't be using as you said. Neither the speakers or amp you mentioned are available in my country unfortunately, however, I did find these bluetooth speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-USA-e25-Eclipse-Bluetooth/dp/B00GDDTTFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467038282&sr=8-1 which seem like a pretty good fit for my use case (good sound, nice looks and no subwoofer). Wonder if anyone here has experience with them or at least the brand?

If you don't care about portability, Full Circle's right that a t amp or monitors are probably your best bet. I like my AV40s for budget computer speakers, but if you want bluetooth it looks like the Wirecutter likes the Edifer Spinnakers and the Grace Digital AptX. I haven't heard either in person.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-computer-speakers/

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
If you've got the space to set up a couple bookshelf speakers, amp and BT receiver, do that. Otherwise I've got a JBL Flip (original), and it's a great sounding speaker for what it is. I'm assuming the 2 would be just as good.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Small query - I got a Pioneer HTP-072 package a couple of years ago, and I've found it to work just fine. However, I use it for everything including my PC, I've thought about getting a 4K TV, and I know that running the signal through the receiver's HDMI 1.4 ports would drop the signal to 30 Hz, so unless there's some fix I haven't heard about I'd need a new receiver with HDMI 2.0. Are there any recommended models for a case like this, keeping in mind that I've been genuinely fine with this receiver and would probably just swap out the HDMI ports if I could? Dolby Atmos support would be nice, but I just don't want to have to pay too much.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 27, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm looking at replacing the receiver in my frankenstein of a Home Theater setup. Right now I've got a Pioneer SX-316 driving it but it's so out of date it doesn't even have HDMI. At the moment, I have an NES (RCA), SNES/N64 (RCA), PS2 (TOSLINK), Wii U (RCA) and Gaming PC/HTPC (Coaxial SPDIF) going in to it. My speaker setup is for 5.1 and I really don't feel like adding additional speakers to my setup, so no real need for 6.1 or 7.1 audio.

I want a receiver that does HDMI switching, but more importantly, reports as being 5.1 capable over EDID when connected to my Wii U and PC, since the Wii U only does 6 channel PCM for surround, and while my PC can send 5.1 as a DD or DTS bitstream, it's limited to stereo for games, and like to be able to play PC games with surround sound. But I'd also like to make sure that I'll have a TOSLINK input and at least 2 RCA ports.

If it can scale analog video as well (either composite or s-video) that would be nice, but it's not essential, as I do have an existing analog to HDMI scaler. My current TV is 1080p and I'm pretty happy with it so I won't be switching to a 4K panel any time soon. So HDMI 2.0 isn't really something that I consider essential right now.

I was looking at This Pioneer Receiver but I was wondering if there's anything I should know about it before I buy it, or if there's a better receiver that will work for me that I'm missing here.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I should say that my biggest concern is the EDID reporting. Since the receiver I was looking at says HDMI passthrough, I'm concerned that it'll use the EDID data from the TV, which is obviously only stereo, and not tell my PC that it's connected a 5.1 receiver.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 28, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm moving in a few weeks, and while I probably won't buy anything until closer to August, still would like to get a shopping cart in order.

I have a 55" TV, Wii U, and a Chromecast/PC/Laptop/etc currently, I'm looking for a receiver and speaker setup (3.1?). I'll be picking up a PS4 later this year.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Phone posted:

I'm moving in a few weeks, and while I probably won't buy anything until closer to August, still would like to get a shopping cart in order.

I have a 55" TV, Wii U, and a Chromecast/PC/Laptop/etc currently, I'm looking for a receiver and speaker setup (3.1?). I'll be picking up a PS4 later this year.

For what it's worth, I did this same research late last year and ended up with a 3.0 setup with Polk A1s and an A4 from Amazon, and a Denon AVR-E400 from Accessories4Less. Since you have a few months, set up some camelcamelcamel alerts for price drops on Amazon. I went with that particular receiver because I needed analog inputs, something else might fit your bill better. I should pick up a sub at some point, probably a PSW505, but I haven't decided yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What AVR would you guys recommend for Definite Technology BP9060 2x tower speakers, CS9060 center, and 2x SR9040 surrounds? Also, the BP9060 towers have built in 8" powered subs in them. Would an external sub still be necessary? If so, what brand/model sub would you suggest be paired with the DefTech speakers?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My mom lives in a house with speaker wires already installed in her family room. The connection cables are shown in this image - http://imgur.com/uIar8fs . She wants something that will plug into that and play CD's since that's the only media she has - any recommendations? Not sure what these 5 cables do but I'm assuming the red/black ones are for each speaker but not sure about the round black one.

Will something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-C-7030...=cd+player+deck

Seems like I have too many of the red/black cables to plug into the Onkyo CD player?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 4, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need an amplifier to power the speakers in addition to the cd player. You probably won't be able to find a single unit that does both and isn't really expensive or lovely. The round one is an RCA cable. Likely for a powered sub, but there's no way to tell for sure without finding the other end.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Denon makes a whole line of mini/micro stereos that are pretty well made.

This is their current model: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/compactsystem/mini

But I see the older versions come up on the used market regularly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those were what I was thinking of when I said "really expensive." Depends on the budget and if you can find a used one.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

KillHour posted:

You need an amplifier to power the speakers in addition to the cd player. You probably won't be able to find a single unit that does both and isn't really expensive or lovely. The round one is an RCA cable. Likely for a powered sub, but there's no way to tell for sure without finding the other end.

Nah it's an antenna connection.

Edit: busy bee, I would definitely look for something used. People are trying to get rid of CD players all the time. And you would just need a stereo receiver to go with it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Are we sure that round cable is RCA? It looks too big.

I would recommend getting a stereo amp off CL or from your local resale shop and just buying a cheap CD player if you don't already have one with line outs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Nah it's an antenna connection.

:doh:

That's what happens when I look at pictures on my phone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Those were what I was thinking of when I said "really expensive." Depends on the budget and if you can find a used one.

Yeah, they're quite expensive when new, though that is including a set of speakers as well.

But the older models tend to pop up regularly for not a lot of money, and you get a high-quality compact all-in-one unit for what you pay. Amp, CD and radio, sometimes even digital radio if you're lucky, all with the same remote control.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They must still make cheapo bookshelf all in one stereos.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm having this weird soundbar issue, I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot. It's a Polk Audio 3000

So I've generally felt that, when playing video games, the start of sentences when people talk would get clipped. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

Anyway I just bought Earthbound on WiiU and the problem is way worse. Now if I listen to one of the first songs, it goes dead for 5 seconds at a time, every time, at the same spot in the song.

If I use TV speakers or WiiU game pad speakers its fine. Soundbar is using digital audio, WiiU is using HDMI

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion everyone. The Denon model looks like but definetly very expensive. Would something like the following models work with my current wire setup? I'm assuming I should just look at the connections in the back and make sure it has the "Left/Right Red/Black" speaker connections?

Onkyo CS-265(W) CD Hi-Fi Mini System with Bluetooth ($216)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9QQVPU/ref=psdc_9977444011_t1_B00N9QQVQY

Yamaha MCR-232BL Micro Component System (Black) ($299)
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MCR-2...3DDS7D0RS1NRYYS

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Either of those would be fine. All in one stereos look a lot better when you don't have to cram a dual tape deck in.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not to mention that you can get better amplifiers in them than before too, Class D or Tripath vs a lovely AB with a too small powersupply (because space and heat constraints).

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Either of those would be fine. All in one stereos look a lot better when you don't have to cram a dual tape deck in.

Thank you. Would you say that $220 is the lowest I would be able to find an All-In-One CD stereo system? I've looked around and that's what it seems like.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 3, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Busy Bee posted:

Thank you. Would you say that $220 is the lowest I would be able to find an All-In-One CD stereo system? I've looked around and that's what it seems like.

If it has to be new, then yes.

I've seen Denon all-in-one micro stereos for less than $75 second hand.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

If it has to be new, then yes.

I've seen Denon all-in-one micro stereos for less than $75 second hand.

Okay, I will keep an eye out for that. Thank you!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You can probably get an ugly Aiwa from the 90s on eBay for $20.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BigFactory posted:

You can probably get an ugly Aiwa from the 90s on eBay for $20.

I'm probably being generous by guessing those ubiqiutous dorm stereos have 10%THD.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Trent Razor1911 posted:

I have this and while the bass isn't as good as some other Bluetooth speakers I've heard of the same size, for the price it sounds great (esp at lower volumes), the usb chargeable battery life is great and at that price I take it near water, throw it into bags, etc without worrying about it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JGR9MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_R-QExb3JXZWZQ

dogmatrix
Apr 13, 2016
I'm in the process of putting together my first audio system. This is mostly for watching movies/playing games but I also plan to listen to music. I realize speaker quality can be subjective but I have no real basis for comparison and I just want to make sure these bits will all fit together properly.
(hurray 4th of July sales!)

2x Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II (fronts)
Polk Audio CS2 Series II (center)
Klipsch Reference Series 10' powered sub
some surrounds that are already installed

I'm wanting to get a Denon AVR-X2200W receiver since it has a load of legacy connector types plus upscaling so I can hook up my Nintendo to my new Vizio display. However it says it's a 95W power amp and the speakers have power ratings of 20-175W and 20-200W. Does the receiver have enough oomph to power these speakers? Have I confused what the receiver is and do I need an amp as well?? I'm just starting to dip my toes in these waters and I think I broke my brain.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The 95W will be per channel so it'll be fine.

An AV receiver is an amplifier hence the power rating... The difference between an amp and a receiver is an amp just does audio, a receiver does video too. You'll be good to go.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Receiver usually has amp integrated. Speakers say absurd things about W and it varies by era and manufacturer what W even means, usually best to look at sensitivity.

Brands of things are good but I have no experience with any of that equip personally but it should be good together.

dogmatrix
Apr 13, 2016
Thank you both very much!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I used to have a very nice 7.1 floorstand speaker system in my old apartment, but since then I've moved into a house with a living room setup that isn't particularly suited for floorstands, and had a kid who would love to have new wires to pull on and things to tip over. My wife bought me a new receiver for Father's Day to support the 4K TV we got for Christmas, and this receiver supports Bluetooth. Wireless speakers would be ideal from a positioning and lack-of-wires standpoint, but it seems like all the Bluetooth speaker sets I've been able to find cap at at 3.1. Is this a limitation of the driving power of Bluetooth? Am I able to buy a bunch of individual speakers and cobble myself together a 7.1 system? Should I just get one of this speaker bars to rest on my entertainment center and forego the whole issue? The room I'm trying to put the speakers in doesn't have attic access from above or basement access from below, so running speaker wire really isn't an option without tearing stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking of upgrading my home theater system with Sonos + Apple TV. The idea would be a Playbar in one room and Play:1s in other rooms. A few questions:

1. Assuming the Apple TV is hooked up to a TV with optical audio out, do TVs generally continue to pass audio when off, or would I have to turn the TV on anytime I want to listen to music via AirPlay/Apple TV? If the latter, what's the best "always on" solution?

2. How easy is it to toggle speakers on and off? Imagine I would mostly want to listen only to the main Playbar, but occasionally turn on one or more of the other speakers. This seems kind of like Sonos's bread and butter, but I'd like to confirm.

3. If the goal is 80% audio via AirPlay to Apple TV or Netflix via Apple TV and 20% broadcast/cable/game system, is Apple TV + TV with audio pass through + Sonos the best approach or are there other configurations I should consider?