Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.
I'm looking to buy my first receiver. I hope to be able to get my own place soon, an I will almost certainly have a shared wall.

I've seen some things about some receivers having a feature that responds to sudden volume changes, such as loud action scenes in movies after some normal dialogue, for late night watching or whatever.

Are any of these any good for this purpose? It seems like it could be quite useful for my situation.

If so, which receivers with these features would be recommended? I'm in the UK looking at the £300-350 mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kash posted:

I've seen some things about some receivers having a feature that responds to sudden volume changes, such as loud action scenes in movies after some normal dialogue, for late night watching or whatever.

What you're looking for is called "dynamic compression", and it smooths out volume changes, basically allowing you to crank the volume on quiet parts while still keeping the louder parts slightly less loud.

It's usually billed as "night mode" or similar in product infos, and it's usually included even in bottom of the line AV receivers. My Denon 1610 has it, for example. It lets me choose between three levels of compression.

E: Sp.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 30, 2011

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

My new setup sounds fantastic! I'm glad I took the plunge.

I do have a problem though. For some reason, with my Direct TV box (haven't tried it with the Playstation), my TV keeps showing the input number and then renaming it to HMC and back over and over again so a box stays on the screen. Anyone have this problem with a receiver?

Pioneer 821-K

Edit: I read somewhere that this might be a HDCP handshaking issue since cable and satellite boxes can be lovely about it. Set it to stay locked at one resolution to prevent this. Hopefully it works.

The Flying Milton fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 26, 2011

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coolskillrex remix posted:

Thats a correct assessment of thx, that its basically a bought label and nothing more. Lots of logitech speakers have thx for christs sake..

Ill give a rundown on why i think the klipsch speakers are weird

1) 60x90 is sort of weird for a horn. you would want 90x60... so tip the speaker horizontal? not sure how that would work if they designed the horn to work vertically
2) im pretty sure the specs are bull, 97db sensitivity AND 43hz -3db? Thats pretty unheard of, i think thats a massaged stat. Those 6.5" must have lovely compression figures.

Heres what i mean by compression:
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz205/Kallus42/2011%20sub%20test%20pics/EPIK%20EMPIRE/empirepowercompressionsweeps.jpg

Excursion stops at a certain point, and this is most noticeable in subwoofers, where as you turn up the volume more and more the subwoofer simply has no excursion so the frequency response completely changes. F3 of 20hz turns into f3 of like... 40hz. So basically when you have a loud passage in a movie and want the speaker to play at 110db peaks the woofers arent going to keep up... theyre going to turn into f3 100 or 150hz. Its just physics.

3) expensive as hell for cheap drivers. $40 for each of the woofers, the 1" titanium compression driver is probably cheap too
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=299-101&scqty=10 (when in stock they were $40... buyout or not thats cheap for a $1500 speaker)

Looking at those drivers i really dont know how they get 97db sensitivity... i have a feeling that stat is bull as well.

RF7 okay, but not sure about that horn. Might not hold directivity too well. Decent speakers but i feel like you can actually do *better* for cheaper

You basically know what youre getting with the eD speakers.. but hold out on buying them, avs forum might measure them soon, hopefully eD didnt screw up the crossovers. drivers are kappa pro 12A woofer + DE250 + qsc horn = $300 of stuff you can buy at parts express. DE250 is one of the best compression drivers on the market, tons of measurements. eD isnt doing any revolutionary, crossover isnt anything crazy, shouldnt be that hard to make the crossover.. but still

If i were you i would wait mainly for the avs member MK theater to get his speakers with DE250 upgrade because he will probably measure them. Worst comes to worst you just have eD build you some wayne parham pi speakers, then you really know what youre getting.

Its weird how hard it is to know what youre getting in a speaker... thats whats cool about the ed cinema, and the whole DIY scene in general.

This is a good post. Thanks so much for the clarification. It's weird because they're THX Ultra certified, which means they are "rated" to hold reference levels in 3000 cubic foot rooms, yet they don't seem like a very big speaker. My Klipsch F2's are of similar dimensions...

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI: The Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver is on sale at woot today for $155 shipped.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Heh, I just posted that same thing on the other thread.

Anyway!
Last night I finally got my new setup up and running. Onkyo TX-NR509 with speakers from Fluance, the AVHTB+ set (fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html).
It's super nice! I did the Audyssey setup, which was a breeze, and right after that I put in a DVD of Lord of the Rings, and forwarded to an action sequence. Right then and there, poo poo eating grin.
Even if the Fluance set of speakers doesn't include a subwoofer, the floor standing fronts have a decent amount of bass. I don't think I'll be getting a subwoofer, at least not for a while. And while I'm far from an audiophile, these speakers are not bad at all, and for only $200, I'm super stoked I took the gamble.

Fun story: To ease the wife's concerns about how much money was spent and how big all the speakers are, I put in her favorite DVD: An Incubus concert. It sounded awesome, and with the music coming from all around, it was instant conviction! She was just as stoked to have a home theater setup going now too. :)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Is it okay to use a wireless line level send to get a signal to my powered sub? I don't want to run a 30 foot RCA cable to it and there are no speaker outs for the .1 on my receiver. It seems like it would be not a problem at all, but you never know.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
So I've got a budget Onkyo hooking up a single Polk RTI A1 and PSW10.
It's enjoyable as is but I certainly need to get another speaker hooked up, the PSW10 can't be turned up to where it really shines without drowning out the single bookshelf speaker. Would a center channel like the CS10 be suitable? This setup is exclusively for music.

Also from hearing PSW10s in smaller rooms, I can tell it's a bit stressed in this larger room. It's maybe roughly 35x20. It's not a big negative or whatever but if there is an optimal place to place it I'd be interested. Also, does placing it on blankets and pillows and stuff (in evening, so I can still have a little bass without waking neighbors) affect how it sounds in the room, or is that all just traveling through the air anyhow?

Wiring wise the sub is connected via RCA and the single bookshelf is connected by two strands of speaker wire. Is there much reason to hook up four strands when I'm not interested in the sound being split into right/left anyway?

Thanks! Awesome thread, picked these components because of it in the first place

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

jonathan posted:

This is a good post. Thanks so much for the clarification. It's weird because they're THX Ultra certified, which means they are "rated" to hold reference levels in 3000 cubic foot rooms, yet they don't seem like a very big speaker. My Klipsch F2's are of similar dimensions...

Another option:

Around december mark seaton (one of the best speaker designers out there imo) is going to have a kit. No word on price yet, basically all hes doing is selling everyone a crossover and a cabinet and wants it to be "screwdriver ready"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1363566

Depends on how quickly you want a home theater.

I cant imagine the cabinets costing more than $500 a piece before shipping.. speaker cost should be $1000 each and really be a no-compromise diy design. More details will be released in one to two weeks along with pictures i think. I might have to buy a pair. Tough thing is if you want to use one as a center its going to be massive. (30x20")

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Winszton posted:

This setup is exclusively for music.

Get another RTI A1 before anything else (or if you prefer, a pair of some other speakers). For music you definitely want two similar speakers. Otherwise your stereo image will be all sorts of strange.

quote:

Wiring wise the sub is connected via RCA and the single bookshelf is connected by two strands of speaker wire. Is there much reason to hook up four strands when I'm not interested in the sound being split into right/left anyway?

Not really, as long as your wires are reasonable AWG.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ok, read through the OP and I still need some help, for anyone who would be willing to offer.

First off, Speakers: I've got a buddy who owns speakers similar to these Klipsch (They're Klipsch and they sound fantastic, I'm just not sure if they're the exact same model). http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-F-20-6-5-Inch-Floor-Standing/dp/B003XRD9TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317488661&sr=8-1

Does anyone have bad experiences or better value / performance Ratios they could push me towards ? I am looking for full sized Floorstands, and I probably will never invest in a woofer.

Which leads me into question #2 on a Receiver:

I have a PS3 and a 360 both of which I want to run HDMI -> Receiver -> TV. Other than that I just need an input for a standalone CD player, and to run sound out from my Computer to the Receiver via Optical. Almost all of my use out of this setup is going to be listening to music as a primary priority.

99.9% sure I'll never bother with surround sound or a woofer, I really just want a solid pair of floorstands for a two channel setup with the above mentioned equipment.

Help me oh god theres so much crap on the market :ohdear: Everything is 5.1 this and 7.1 that with 8000000000 inputs that I don't need.

Live Edit: Also I'd like to keep the price under $1200 for both speakers and the receiver.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 1, 2011

jwitko
Oct 22, 2008

IF YOU THREATEN MY GIRLFRIEND WITH DEATH I WILL MAKE A GBS THREAD ABOUT IT. BECAUSE THAT IS THE PROPER PROCEDURE WHEN SOMEONE YOU LOVE IS IN POTENTIAL DANGER. BUT SERIOUSLY THE KID IS BLACK, MY WOMAN IS AS GOOD AS DEAD.
Hey Guys, setting up my first home sound system here and wanted to get your opinions on my current parts and the prices I paid for them. I still need a sub so I'm also looking for recommendations on those too!

Receiver: Went with one of this threads recommendations, Denon AVR-391 (Used) $112

Rear Speakers: 2x Mirage Omnican OC-65 In-Ceiling Speaker (New) $200 total

Bookshelfs: Klipsch WB-14 Icon-W Series Cabernet Bookshelf Speaker- Pair (New) $250 total

Sub: Recommendations?

Some subs I've been looking at: Energy S10.3 Subwoofer, it's only 10'' and not the best on the market but the price is amazing at $220

Klipsch SW-112 Powered Subwoofer This deal came highly recommended as an amazing speaker at a great price but I'm not sure if I'm looking to spend this much on the sub.

jwitko fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 1, 2011

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Ok, read through the OP and I still need some help, for anyone who would be willing to offer.

First off, Speakers: I've got a buddy who owns speakers similar to these Klipsch (They're Klipsch and they sound fantastic, I'm just not sure if they're the exact same model). http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-F-20-6-5-Inch-Floor-Standing/dp/B003XRD9TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317488661&sr=8-1

Does anyone have bad experiences or better value / performance Ratios they could push me towards ? I am looking for full sized Floorstands, and I probably will never invest in a woofer.

Which leads me into question #2 on a Receiver:

I have a PS3 and a 360 both of which I want to run HDMI -> Receiver -> TV. Other than that I just need an input for a standalone CD player, and to run sound out from my Computer to the Receiver via Optical. Almost all of my use out of this setup is going to be listening to music as a primary priority.

99.9% sure I'll never bother with surround sound or a woofer, I really just want a solid pair of floorstands for a two channel setup with the above mentioned equipment.

Help me oh god theres so much crap on the market :ohdear: Everything is 5.1 this and 7.1 that with 8000000000 inputs that I don't need.

Live Edit: Also I'd like to keep the price under $1200 for both speakers and the receiver.

If you like Klipsch then the VF-35 floorstanders from the Icon series are cheaper than the Synergy floorstanders right now, though the VF-36 will have more bass. I just bought a pair of the 35s for $119 each, so they might go that low again if you're willing to wait for a deal. A lot of people also like the Infinity Primus P362s which are $150 on amazon right now. If you're willing to pay a bit more, the Martin Logan Motion 12s are highly regarded as sounding great for music and have been on sale for as low as $300 each lately. They use a ribbon tweeter as opposed to a horn (klipsch) or dome (infinity), which for music purposes sound best to me.

Edit: Newegg also has the Klipsch WF-35s on sale for $300 a piece right now, which is an excellent deal. They're a step up from the Klipsch I mentioned above and are designed with aesthetics in mind. If I were only going 2 channel I would probably have bought those instead.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 1, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Tacier posted:

If you like Klipsch then the VF-35 floorstanders from the Icon series are cheaper than the Synergy floorstanders right now, though the VF-36 will have more bass. I just bought a pair of the 35s for $119 each, so they might go that low again if you're willing to wait for a deal. A lot of people also like the Infinity Primus P362s which are $150 on amazon right now. If you're willing to pay a bit more, the Martin Logan Motion 12s are highly regarded as sounding great for music and have been on sale for as low as $300 each lately. They use a ribbon tweeter as opposed to a horn (klipsch) or dome (infinity), which for music purposes sound best to me.

Edit: Newegg also has the Klipsch WF-35s on sale for $300 a piece right now, which is an excellent deal. They're a step up from the Klipsch I mentioned above and are designed with aesthetics in mind. If I were only going 2 channel I would probably have bought those instead.

Thanks man, really appreciate the feedback. I think right now I'm even going to grab those VF-35s at $170.

Pair of those + a Pioneer VSX-820 is $730 shipped from Amazon. Anyone want to talk me out of it before I pull the trigger ?

Edit: Too late! Damnation! I'll give you all a writeup when the stuff arrives, hopefully this week.

Edit Edit: poo poo! I overpaid for the receiver because I'm an idiot. Sent them a cancel notification through Amazon... :ohdear:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 2, 2011

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

Get another RTI A1 before anything else (or if you prefer, a pair of some other speakers). For music you definitely want two similar speakers. Otherwise your stereo image will be all sorts of strange.

Alright. How much does it matter to have the two bookshelves directly in the "right" set up, for music? Right as in directly in front, set apart about 5 feet

Currently the speaker and sub are just to the side of the room on a table

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Winszton posted:

Alright. How much does it matter to have the two bookshelves directly in the "right" set up, for music? Right as in directly in front, set apart about 5 feet

This is a bit subjective since mono systems can sound good (60s tube radios are great), but to me the answer is "a lot". With a stereo setup you get stereo imaging which is very important in creating the illusion of a band in your living room. Well-mastered records allow you to hear where each band member is positioned. It's an important part in moving from "some noise in the background" to "there's a group of people playing for me".

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

jwitko posted:

Hey Guys, setting up my first home sound system here and wanted to get your opinions on my current parts and the prices I paid for them. I still need a sub so I'm also looking for recommendations on those too!

You didn't list it, but what's your center channel speaker? I would get one before getting a sub.

jwitko
Oct 22, 2008

IF YOU THREATEN MY GIRLFRIEND WITH DEATH I WILL MAKE A GBS THREAD ABOUT IT. BECAUSE THAT IS THE PROPER PROCEDURE WHEN SOMEONE YOU LOVE IS IN POTENTIAL DANGER. BUT SERIOUSLY THE KID IS BLACK, MY WOMAN IS AS GOOD AS DEAD.

Hob_Gadling posted:

You didn't list it, but what's your center channel speaker? I would get one before getting a sub.

Entire setup::

Receiver: Went with one of this threads recommendations, Denon AVR-391 (Used) $112

Rear Speakers: 2x Mirage Omnican OC-65 In-Ceiling Speaker (New) $200 total

Bookshelfs: Klipsch WB-14 Icon-W Series Cabernet Bookshelf Speaker- Pair $250 total

Center Channel: Klipsch WC-24 Icon-W Series Espresso Center Channel Speaker $219

Sub: Energy S10.3 Subwoofer $220

Will I need an amplifier to power that center channel speaker or anything else? Does the AVR act as an amplifier? I don't know how any of the power stuff works with this so any info would be very useful.

Also will it be a problem to mix and match? Receiver, rears, (center+L+R), sub are all different brands?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

jwitko posted:

Does the AVR act as an amplifier?

Yes. You can hook up all the speakers directly into it. If you get an active subwoofer (like the one you linked) it comes with an in-built amp. The rest draw power through the receiver.

quote:

Also will it be a problem to mix and match? Receiver, rears, (center+L+R), sub are all different brands?

No. Some people want to keep front L+R and center speaker the same (and it's what I usually recommend) but it's not mandatory. The point is to create a smooth transition in sound when it moves from left to right like it often does in movies. That's easier to do when you have similar speakers.

jwitko
Oct 22, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

Yes. You can hook up all the speakers directly into it. If you get an active subwoofer (like the one you linked) it comes with an in-built amp. The rest draw power through the receiver.

No. Some people want to keep front L+R and center speaker the same (and it's what I usually recommend) but it's not mandatory. The point is to create a smooth transition in sound when it moves from left to right like it often does in movies. That's easier to do when you have similar speakers.

Thanks man. Really appreciate your help. Any thoughts on the prices I'm paying or the quality of the parts?

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
I know most people recommend against getting a HTiB but I just inherited the Sony BDV-E780W . Because right now I am just using my stock Sony TV speakers, even something mediocre would be a pretty major upgrade.

The problem is that although I inherited the receiver/BDP, sub, 5 satellites, and the wireless speaker receiver, I am missing one of the proprietary Sony audio cables from the center satellite and the wireless receiver dongles.

I've done some searching around and there doesn't seem to be any place that sells them besides Sony, and I don't feel like paying $100+ for some connections that are probably a couple bucks worth of materials. Anyone know of a good place to find these parts or some other solution?

edit: oh looks like I'm also missing the proprietary cables from the wireless surround speakers to the receiver as well haha

Apocalypse Please fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 5, 2011

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I would like some very simple, inexpensive equipment for my apartment. Before I get linked to a 'solid entry level' receiver that's $400, let me explain that I am as philistine as it gets when it comes to audio. I've definitely lost some of my hearing over the years, so I'm unable to detect much complexity in sound. As long as I can hear it and it's fairly balanced, I'm happy. To point: I bought a sub and 2 speaker set for $30 about 9 years ago for my computer, and I've been happy with them this entire time.

I would like to put something in my living room that will take inputs from my television, an xbox, my desktop PC in the other room, and a laptop. My uses will basically be watching tv/playing video games, and playing music in the living room area from a computer in a separate space. I don't want it to take up really any space on the floor.

After reading through the OP, I think a 2.1 would be more than sufficient for myself. 2 Satellite speakers I can mount on the wall that won't take up floor space, and a sub I can put on/under the TV stand, as well as a receiver to handle it all. If there's a way for the receiver to hop on my wireless network so I don't have to run a cable from one room to another to connect to my PC that would be super.

My budget is cheap. I got laid off a few months ago, so I don't have a lot of cash to throw at this. I'm just looking for some direction in hardware so I don't end up with stuff that's going to break in 3 months. If I could do everything for $200, I'd be pleased. $150 would be even better. I know some of you have remote controls that cost more than that, and that's awesome, but it's simply way beyond anything I could ever appreciate.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 5, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I would like some very simple, inexpensive equipment for my apartment.

Take a look at soundbars. They are compact and relatively cheap. You could start with Sony HT-CT150 as an example.

You're connecting everything via HDMI, right? If your TV has HDMI 1.4 you can use audio return channel (ARC). That means you don't need to set up a separate wire from TV to receiver: one HDMI cable does it all.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Apocalypse Please posted:

Anyone know of a good place to find these parts or some other solution?

From the looks of it, there's nothing special in the wiring except the connector on the receiver side. If you can find a couple of the plugs, you should be able to make your own cables. What I'd do is visit an electronics shop with one of the cables and ask where you can buy plugs like it.

You could also take a picture of the plug and put an ad out to Audiogon. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

From the looks of it, there's nothing special in the wiring except the connector on the receiver side. If you can find a couple of the plugs, you should be able to make your own cables. What I'd do is visit an electronics shop with one of the cables and ask where you can buy plugs like it.

You could also take a picture of the plug and put an ad out to Audiogon. Who knows, you might get lucky.

I actually work at an electronics retailer and the guys working in the HT department said you could only get the plugs from Sony, and the pricing was ridiculous. During the store remodel they lost a bunch of the floor model speaker connectors. Can I just get speaker wire and tape it in somehow or something?

On this forum page there is a set of pics of the connectors in question. They say it's shaped pretty much like RJ-45.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

Take a look at soundbars. They are compact and relatively cheap. You could start with Sony HT-CT150 as an example.

You're connecting everything via HDMI, right? If your TV has HDMI 1.4 you can use audio return channel (ARC). That means you don't need to set up a separate wire from TV to receiver: one HDMI cable does it all.

That looks like it would probably suit me just fine. I don't actually have the TV yet (we're still waiting for a good sale) but it's going to be a 40" LED of some type, so I'm guessing they all have HDMI 1.4.

Does that mean with something like this I don't need a receiver yet? From the looks of it, I could just plug the speakers directly into the TV or the Laptop, whichever I need at the time, then in a few months pick up a receiver to make it all a little easier.

e: Hey, what do you think of these guys? http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-S-IW851-LR-8-Inch-Rectangular-Speakers/dp/B002BDU7D4 They're on sale for $80 over at 1saleaday. Could I just pair these with a sub or a decent center speaker and call it a day? Do I absolutely still need a receiver?

Maybe this http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-W2500-Performance-Line-Subwoofer/dp/B000OL3QTW/ref=sr_1_7?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1317838884&sr=1-7 or this? http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1317838784&sr=1-1

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 5, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Alright Guys, basically crossposting this from the show your Entertainment Center thread, but the OP asks for us to post in here too if we use the thread to buy stuff, so here we go:

It's the Pioneer VSX-821-K with two Klipsch VF-35s that someone recommended I check out earlier. They were on display here locally and I enjoyed the sound for the price.

Actually sound really well in the room they're in, and I still need a CD player to , but right now just playing the MP3 player still sounds great. The receiver is a breeze to set up, I've still got a bit more tweaking to do.

I'll give a bit more thorough set of thoughts after I've had it all for a while.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

A set of 3 proprietary cables from Sony is about $30. The replacement wireless transceivers are $80 apiece :what:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Apocalypse Please posted:

Can I just get speaker wire and tape it in somehow or something?

If you're willing to do it that way, why not. Connect plus pin on the receiver to plus pin on speaker and minus to minus, and you're set. Make sure no stray strands of wire touch the other pin in the same connector. There's the theoretical risk of burning the whole thing up if you cross the wires, so be careful. Check the manual to see which pin is which.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Does that mean with something like this I don't need a receiver yet?

With the soundbar I linked, no. They're generally active speakers which means they draw power themselves.

quote:

From the looks of it, I could just plug the speakers directly into the TV or the Laptop, whichever I need at the time, then in a few months pick up a receiver to make it all a little easier.

No need. There's enough connections to hook up all your devices at once. Buying a receiver brings nothing to the table if you get a soundbar with HDMI repeater.

quote:

e: Hey, what do you think of these guys?

I haven't heard them so I can't say. Do you want in-wall speakers? You need a receiver with those: they're passive speakers. Without a receiver they have no way of getting power.

If you get passive speakers, you need a receiver. If you get active speakers, you don't need a receiver.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

Alright Guys, basically crossposting this from the show your Entertainment Center thread, but the OP asks for us to post in here too if we use the thread to buy stuff, so here we go:

Thanks for this. It's important people get to see the different types of setups they can have. Also, the most important thing: if you enjoy it then no one else can say it's not good. Sound is subjective.

Nice poster you have, there. If it's a movie poster I definitely want to know which movie.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Thanks for the amazing OP to this thread, I really enjoyed reading it!

My mother has just renovated her house, and purchased a TV, receiver, Blu-ray player and 5.1 speaker system. While the living room was being replastered she had the builders thread the speaker wiring through the walls.

I've just measured the distances from the middle of the TV to where the wires come out of the walls, and the front left and rear left speaker wires come out about 2 metres horizontally from the centre of the screen, while the front right and rear right wires come out of the wall about 1 metre horizontally from the middle of the screen.

I skimmed through my receiver's manual to see if distances can be set but I didn't see anything. I'm wondering how big of an issue it will be while watching something on this system, and I'm really hoping it will be negligible :)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Looking for validation!

I have an old terrible receiver that is essentially just an amp right now. HTPC, 360, WDTV Live, PS3 all plugged into the TV.

I've got a pair of Alesis One monitors as my left/right, and a pair of Advent Loudspeakers that I've reconed, sitting behind my couch, unplugged. (They won't fit next to the TV.)

I'm thinking about getting an AVR-391 on the cheap, running all the video to my TV through HDMI, and using the Advents as my rear channels. I figure because they're so huge and boomy, I probably won't miss the sub right away, and I'd be okay out-of-the-box with a 4.0 system. Maybe pick up a center whenever I get a chance (recommendations for a frankensystem are welcome).

This should work out okay, right? Obviously, it would be nicer to have the Advents as my L/R and stick the Alesis on stands behind my couch as my rear channels, but I honestly don't think there's room for the loudspeakers on either side of my TV stand.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 6, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Twiin posted:

I'm thinking about getting an AVR-391 on the cheap, running all the video to my TV through HDMI, and using the Advents as my rear channels. I figure because they're so huge and boomy, I probably won't miss the sub right away

You should keep in mind that most 5.1 mixes (movies & such) don't really put any bass content in the rear channels. That goes in the fronts and sub.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jet_dee posted:

Thanks for the amazing OP to this thread, I really enjoyed reading it!

My mother has just renovated her house, and purchased a TV, receiver, Blu-ray player and 5.1 speaker system. While the living room was being replastered she had the builders thread the speaker wiring through the walls.

I've just measured the distances from the middle of the TV to where the wires come out of the walls, and the front left and rear left speaker wires come out about 2 metres horizontally from the centre of the screen, while the front right and rear right wires come out of the wall about 1 metre horizontally from the middle of the screen.

I skimmed through my receiver's manual to see if distances can be set but I didn't see anything. I'm wondering how big of an issue it will be while watching something on this system, and I'm really hoping it will be negligible :)

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking from the description. I also just came off a 28 hour shift... If you're asking if the front speakers can be spread apart at different distances, it would be better to compromise and leave them against the sides of the TV. Symmetry is important on the front 3 speakers. Could you post a picture ?

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
I thought about drawing a diagram on a piece of paper and scanning it, but you get what I meant. I wish I could leave the speakers beside the TV, but the speaker wiring has already been threaded through the wall, and I can't pull it back out.
The speakers will be placed just below the ceiling in the four corners of the room.

FL<--2m-->TV<-1m->FR

is how they will be set up. The rears will be at the back of the room, opposite their corresponding front speakers.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am putting together my first home theater and, while I am much less lost than I was a week ago, I still want to make sure that I am doing this right. Before I go buy the components, my connections are basically going to be

code:
Media PC
	   \		 - TV
Xbox	   -- Receiver -<
	   /             - Speakers
Cable box 
With everything (but the speakers) being connected through HDMI, is that the gist of it? I feel so worthless on this and didn't even know HDMI carried audio until a few days ago, but is this basically the configuration I want to run?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jet_dee posted:

I thought about drawing a diagram on a piece of paper and scanning it, but you get what I meant. I wish I could leave the speakers beside the TV, but the speaker wiring has already been threaded through the wall, and I can't pull it back out.
The speakers will be placed just below the ceiling in the four corners of the room.

FL<--2m-->TV<-1m->FR

is how they will be set up. The rears will be at the back of the room, opposite their corresponding front speakers.

Wait, so it's just bare shielded speaker wire sticking through the wall ? Generally people will have a wall plate installed. The speaker wires attach to the wall plate, and then you use a short speaker wire with banana plugs to connect the wall outlet to the speaker. They're easy to install and would like nicer.

Is there a was to move the TV .5 meters to the left ? Of just hang the left speaker 1m to the right, with a longer speaker wire ?

In the end, you can hook it up like your diagram, and should sound ok, but may sound a little odd during pans and things.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am putting together my first home theater and, while I am much less lost than I was a week ago, I still want to make sure that I am doing this right. Before I go buy the components, my connections are basically going to be

code:
Media PC
	   \		 - TV
Xbox	   -- Receiver -<
	   /             - Speakers
Cable box 
With everything (but the speakers) being connected through HDMI, is that the gist of it? I feel so worthless on this and didn't even know HDMI carried audio until a few days ago, but is this basically the configuration I want to run?

Thats how I run mine. I leave the TV speakers off, and the tv just acts as a monitor. Your receiver might do passthrough so you can use tv sound still. My receiver has to be on to do this. your's might not.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That makes me feel a lot better - thanks. I'm not even being cute when I say that until a few days ago, I thought receivers were still just for audio. It took me a lot of googling with the question "well what do you connect the bloody video to?" to figure out that it's not 1994 anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet_dee
May 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

Wait, so it's just bare shielded speaker wire sticking through the wall ? Generally people will have a wall plate installed. The speaker wires attach to the wall plate, and then you use a short speaker wire with banana plugs to connect the wall outlet to the speaker. They're easy to install and would like nicer.

Is there a was to move the TV .5 meters to the left ? Of just hang the left speaker 1m to the right, with a longer speaker wire ?

In the end, you can hook it up like your diagram, and should sound ok, but may sound a little odd during pans and things.

Yes, we're drilling the holes for the plates and fitting them up tomorrow. I will see how far I can move the TV to the left without hitting the door, which opens towards the TV. Unfortunately the speaker wire can't be pulled, and I wonder if it will snap if I try pulling it too hard (then I'd be hosed because we'd have to go buy more speaker wire!).
Thanks for the advice, guess if I notice odd sound I'll have to put up with it :/

jonathan posted:

Thats how I run mine. I leave the TV speakers off, and the tv just acts as a monitor. Your receiver might do passthrough so you can use tv sound still. My receiver has to be on to do this. your's might not.

On my receiver, there's a setting for whether you have audio through the speakers connected to the receiver, or through the TV set's speakers, or both at the same time. It needs to be switched on as sources are hooked to the receiver, which is hooked to the TV. Receiver off, no image/sound on the TV :(