Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
Is there an easy way to tell if a receiver does analog-to-digital conversion? Is that even the proper term for being able to hook up various digital (e.g., HDMI from a PS3) and analog (e.g., compenent cables from a Wii) to the receiver and running a single HDMI cable to the TV? I haven't seen those exact words mentioned in many receiver specifications, and I find myself looking at reviews to determine whether or not a given unit has that capability. Are there other keywords I should be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
Any thoughts on these Infinity Classias?

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/accessories/548499590/infinity-classia-cc225bk
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/accessories/542899516/infinity-classia-c336bk

Seems like a really good deal. I'm looking at a 3.0 system (and receiver), and the budget is ~$800.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007

Baddog posted:

I know I need to listen to them (and I don't see any dealer for these anywhere around here), but wow, the specs on these blow the Klipsch rf-42's out of the water, and $230 less for all three.
All three points you brought up there are why I am simultaneously excited about them but still on the fence - I just don't know where I can actually try them out. (Also, Amazon seems to have lowered their price on those speakers today: $550 for the trio)

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone have any experience with Klipsch Icon WF-35s? They're on sale at newegg right now for $300 a piece, which is the cheapest I've ever seen them. Unfortunately, the closest Klipsch dealer that carries this line is almost 70 miles away from me, so I haven't had a chance to listen to them. I have heard the Icon VF-36s, which I liked. How do the WFs sound in comparison to those? I've also heard Polk TSI400s, which I liked maybe slightly less than the VF-36s.

I'm going to be using them mainly for movies, with video games and music getting occasional use as well. They would be for a 3.0 setup (with the matching center), until I could add a sub sometime next year.

_aaron fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 31, 2011

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007

LongSack posted:

The only nit so far is that Comcast's HD channels are in 1080i and when I play them the TV shows 1080i when I was under the impression that the receiver upconverted everything to 1080p.
The 1912 doesn't upconvert. The new Denon line doesn't do video upconversion until you get up to the 2312 model.

See this AVS thread for a good run down of all the new Denon receivers and their capabilities.