Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Carta posted:

Is it only one wire per speaker to receiver? Or is it power + sound to the receiver? I'm having trouble finding out how many wires I need ahead of time.
Looking to get These before the sale ends as my front mains, since I will be getting a center as well.

Yes, unless you want to purposely biwire or biamp your speakers. However, that's extremely unlikely with the Polks, and whether or not bi-amping improves your sound is nebulous at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
This is a more pointed question that probably doesn't exactly go in the quick questions thread.

I currently have a 3.1 system with Paradigm Studio 20 bookshelf speakers, a Paradigm CC 490 center channel, and a Rythmik subwoofer. I'm eventually looking to upgrade to a 5.1 system.

The issue centers around whether I should be choosing a dipole surround or a monopole surround set. Theoretically, I would be targeting either additional Studio 20 speakers (monopole, bookshelf) or ADP 590 speakers (dipole) for the matching timber. These would then be mounted toward the wall, approximately 6 feet high. Keep in mind that I have an 11 x 17 x 8 foot room, with the couch located in the center, facing the long wall (to maximize sound quality, etc.). I tend to use my existing home system 50% music, 50% movies/games.

So, what would people who have had experience here say? Are there any other surround speakers that I should also be looking at?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Hob_Gadling posted:

From your choices I'd choose largely based on what looks better in the room. ADP 590 is a nice speaker for surround purposes: what bothers me is the price. You'd be spending as much or more money in your surrounds as your fronts. If money is no object get them: if it is, get a pair of Cinema 70's for comparison and see if you can hear any appreciable difference.

You're right, while money is no actual problem for me, that was one of the things that I had been considering. To a certain extent, it makes sense to wait out until a deal on Paradigm studio 100s come around and then move the Studio 20s to the back as surround, but I don't feel like it's time just yet.

Over the years, I've noticed that I am extremely finicky about quality of sound equipment - I've tested monitors before and experience shows that I will likely hear an appreciable difference with Cinema 70s. I think I'll drop by a local store and see the difference in sound stage with both the ADPs and 20s in the back and see if I notice a large difference in those.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

wandler20 posted:

What are your guys thoughts on 3.1 systems? I'm in the process of building a house and I wanted to put a little more sound in my living room (note: I will have a dedicated home theater room). I want to do a surround in this room but I'm not sure if I want to put speakers in the ceiling for the full 5.1. At this point it would pretty easy to do so I supposed I should just run the speaker wire to be safe.

For general tv watching I'd imagine I would be plenty happy with a 3.1 system. Ideally I would like to get away with 3.0 and maybe get a better speaker that could handle lows. What would you guys recommend?

That depends on how much you are willing to spend. What is your total price range, and are you also looking for a receiver?

Just as a heads up, if you want bass but do not care too much about low frequency bass, then a floor-stander would work the best.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

evil_bunnY posted:

Any recommendation for speakers that look good but don't sound like the average "design" speakers.

These Joey Roths look alright but I have no idea how they sound.

- Our place is pretty small and I *really* do not want to put huge floorstanding speakers in our living room

- Source will be 2.0

- Budget around 1-2k?

- We don't own/want a TV.

This may exceed your budget slightly, but Salk speakers are some of the best looking and best performing speakers I've seen for their price.

$1500 for the SongBirds, $2000 for the SongTowers.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

evil_bunnY posted:

Sorry but they look downright gaudy to me 8(

Then get them finished in a different color. They have options for these on purpose.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Hob_Gadling posted:

Went browsing Canuck Audio Mart for the heck of it.

:( The stuff that I really want to buy half price are either always sold out or never appear used, like:

Philharmonic 2 Ribbon Tweeter included speakers.
Paradigm Signature S2 v3
Salk SongTowers with the Ribbon Tweeter
Rythmik F15 Subwoofer (a second one, I already have one)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me out here.

What's your price range?

In particular with regards to your room, your room is extremely small and will suffer from sound quality issues. I'm not sure about whether or not you care about clear bass. What you need to do is you need to go into a decent store that sells relatively good audio equipment and ask them to use a good subwoofer compared to a bad one. For example, I personally cannot stand muddy bass no matter at what volume, so this pretty much rules out most low-end subwoofers for me.

In a small room, you will suffer from echo issues at most frequencies and muddy bass naturally at low frequencies. Usually, when dealing with a small room, in order to achieve decent quality sound, you will need acoustic fixes. To decrease the amount of echo at higher frequencies, you need absorption/acoustic panels. To make the bass/subwoofer more clear, you will need bass traps.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 27, 2011

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

jonathan posted:

Anyone know of any good reviews on these two subs ?

Disclaimer: I personally have a Rythmik F15.

The key words that you said which make me suggest one over the other is "tight notes" and "jazz and blues". You seem to be able to discern tightness and are looking for high sound quality over anything.

In such a case, I'd definitely go for Rythmik over Epik and Hsu (having heard all three). While all three are decent, Rythmik subwoofers, at least to me, sound the most musical at all frequencies. Rythmik subwoofers also go extraordinarily deep, which is exactly what you want.

People who buy Epik/Hsu generally are looking for output and "wow factor" in movies. Usually, the definition of "wow factor" is the fact that your entire chair shakes. If this is what "wows" you, then Hsu/Epik will likely be better.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
If your room is having issues with peaks and nulls, you may wish to consider investing in bass traps/paneling. Often enough, with just bare minimal treatment, you can tame those more than a second sub would.

I'd recommend reading Ethan Winer's article on the subject. Good traps do end up becoming expensive, but simple ones often go at approximately 60 dollars a piece.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

jonathan posted:

Can some of you with higher end subwoofers or bigger floorstanding speakers give this song a listen and tell me your impressions of the low bass guitar tones during the song intro ?

The bass guitar sounds perfectly fine on the Rythmik F15 except for the fact that the recording isn't very good (this is typical of youtube videos and rock tracks these days that are sold in the US). I suspect you'd probably get the same response from all of the subwoofers that have been discussed in the last 10 posts, honestly.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well, for one thing, directionality. We have trouble telling the direction of incoming sound of very low frequencies*. That means that having just one subwoofer is enough, and its placement is not very important, as long as it only plays low frequencies.

Well, can be enough. Bass is rather hard to tame, and even with the right acoustics, sometimes it's easier to get a flatter frequency curve at low frequencies with more than one subwoofer.