Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody have any comments on JBL speakers? I'm trying to get Pioneer mid-range stuff or Paradigm here, but selection is limited, and most shops have odd local brands for speakers.

Ninja edit: I'm trying to set up a home theater setup for a smallerish living room, bookshelf speakers being the largest size I can go(can't do towers/floor units), primarily for movies, TV, and gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Another question: both the Denon AVR-1911 and Pioneer VSX-921 are available here and look suitable for my setup. The Pioneer one seems to have more inputs, but are there any other important differences between them? Anybody use one of these now or before?

Edit: I'm now narrowing my speakers down to Pioneer S-31 series bookshelves and center, Paradigm Atom Minis and CC-190 center, or PSB Image B4s and a C4 center, and a Pioneer VSX-921 as the receiver(no sub yet). One of the major differences between them is the warranty: Pioneers get 1 year, Paradigms get 5 years, and PSBs get 10 years.

Question: What exactly can go wrong with a speaker that requires warranty service? I'm used to them just being dumb devices that you plug wires into, and they just work. If you blow them out, that's your own fault for trying to go retarded loud and I don't think that's covered under warranty. The only thing I can think of is if they just go dead because maybe some connection burned out or something. Is this a common thing? Is it worthwhile to prefer the PSBs over the Pioneers because of the warranty? (over here, it's looking like $1000ish VS $1800ish for the speaker sets, and yes I get raped on price thanks a lot Taiwan)

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 26, 2011

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Is the auto-calibration included in receivers all you need to do? I'm piecing out my system with a seller/installer(going with a Pioneer VSX-921), and they want to charge about $60 for "balancing the system and speaker levels for your room". However, I thought that's what the auto-calibration and mic thingy included with the reciever was for in the first place.

Am I right in thinking that the system balancing can go suck a dick along with the proposed $30 HDMI cables they suggested? Or is there something more to tuning a setup than that?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
(put this in the Quick Audio Questions Megathread on accident; moved here)

So, I've been listening to a couple different kinds of small speakers lately:

M&K K5
5 of these speakers were placed for a 5.1 setup, and I watched some Kung Fu Panda and the surround was fantastic, crisp with really good sound placement and clarity. When I tried listening to music though, it wasn't so hot; some kid singing opera ended up kind of shrill and muddy, and it wasn't clear.

Paradigm Atom Monitors
Due to the sales dude being retarded, I only heard this in a 2.1 setup sort of rushed together. It sounded good and strong with a warm feel, but you always got the impression that you were listening to something from speakers. This was after listening to a setup that used them as back speakers and used Monitor 7s for the front speakers, which sounded lifeless, and even asking the guy to turn up the volume, there was no feeling for movies or music. I don't know if it was settings or the guy just didn't know how to crank up the system to show it off, but I was wholly unimpressed(every other setup on this page sounded better, including the Atom Monitor 2.1 setup). WTF.

Focal Dome System
This is a 5.1 surround system with small satellites. It sounded really good for 5.1 movie stuff, and had also had excellent sound placement, though not as crisp as the M&K K5s. The center channel(well, satellite in the center) was a bit obvious though when people were speaking; it didn't seem to blend as well I think it should've. Music was kind of blah, and came off kind of lifeless; you wouldn't be able to get that feel of the instrument when listening to guitars or violins. Didn't seem like a bad system for a satellite based setup though.

Paradigm Millenia One
These are more 5.1 surround satellites with a small form factor. These sounded great, and were far better than the Focal Dome speakers, and yet they're cheaper(well, here; dunno what US prices are). For movies, things came out much clearer, and things sounded more "open" and less muffled. Music was also better, and I could start to pick out instruments individually(could be better, but it wasn't bad).

While listening to the Millenia Ones, the guy had to hastily connect them, and while watching movies, he kept flipping through different modes(Pioneer receiver, had modes for different movie genres or something), which changed the sound drastically, which is leading me to believe that a lot of these people can't loving set up a system to show it off, IE haven't tuned the system to sound great(which I might be able to/have to do). This is annoying, because this is the most recent setup I heard, and now this tosses the other speaker auditions in the air because it's harder to tell if those speakers would be much better if the sound was just tweaked. Also, he used a PDR-8 sub(apparently) instead of the Millenia Sub(which is loving expensive), but I couldn't tell whether it was on or not, and it sounded like all the bass was coming from the satellites(and not low enough and with zero strength/force). There was a part at the beginning of a Transporter 3 clip(yeah, it's on a common clip Blu-Ray the shops have) that starts with some bowwwwwwww buh-bowwwwww bass music, but you couldn't really hear that from the setup. I asked him to make sure the sub was on, and after turning something up, there was bass shakin', but it was farty/flabby and wasn't defined at all. I couldn't tell if it was due to lovely settings or if that was just how the sub sounded.

In any case, I'm looking between the Millenia Ones and a Pioneer S-31 bookshelf setup. The Millenia Ones because they sound great, and the Pioneer S-31s because they cost half as much, but I can't audition them right now(it's hard because I think they're order only around here).

(this has already been updated; see below)
Question: I'm going back to try listening to the PDR-8 again, but are there any cheaper subs you'd guys recommend? Brands I have access to there are Paradigm, Pioneer, JBL, and Yamaha(you don't have to match sub to speakers, right?). I don't need to shake the room(which isn't even that big), but I would like to hear what I'm supposed to hear for that frequency of bass, and to provide a bit of force when watching movies or playing games.

Non-edit: I'm planning on using a Pioneer VSX-920 or VSX-921 if that changes anything.

Update: I went back to the store the next day, and this time, a different guy was able to do sub adjustment properly and while not pant-making GBS threads or rear end-kicking, the PDR-8 sub was decent, and could blend in with the rest of the sound pretty well. Looks like I'm going with a set of Millenia Ones and a PDR-8; I'll post pics and impressions whenever installation and stuff gets done.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

coolskillrex remix posted:

Order it yet? if not i have advice.
I'm in the middle of it, but I can still adjust it probably.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

coolskillrex remix posted:

First, paradigm subwoofers suck when it comes to bang for your buck. Theres zero reason to get one with the deals that internet direct sites offer you (depending on what country youre in)

To be honest im a little confused as to the purpose of this setup, do you want small speakers for aesthetic purposes? is this apartment or something and you figure smaller = less noise? What size are you aiming for exactly?

is this just a 2.1 setup?
Taiwan; I don't get Internet deals. This will be going into a small apartment living room with a 42" tv for 5.1 for movies and games, and also music occasionally. Due to the size/layout of the room, I can't use floorstanders, so bookshelf is the maximum size. Satellites would be nice for size and aesthetics, but not a requirement.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

IUG posted:

This is probably a "no", but I figured I'd ask.

Is there a good 7.x receiver that can mix two inputs? Basically, my main computer can send audio to my HTPC. And I sometimes like to do Rifftrax. I just thought it would be cool if I could watch a bluray movie from my PS3 on the TV, but have the receiver also mix in the audio from my HTPC, both will be plugged into the same receiver.
Maybe if you have some sort of karaoke mic jack maybe?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI: The Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver is on sale at woot today for $155 shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
This will be gone in a few hours, but woot has the Pioneer BS41 bookshelf speakers for $100/pair shipped right now.($50 off amazon's price)