Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Just picked up my first receiver, a Pioneer VSX-821-K, at Bestbuy on clearance for $200. :toot:

I plan on building over time so for starters I should be ok with a pair of Polk Monitor 40s and then later getting the matching sub and center channel, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah, it'd go center, then sub. Guess I'll pull the trigger since the 40s are on sale on newegg.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

My new setup sounds fantastic! I'm glad I took the plunge.

I do have a problem though. For some reason, with my Direct TV box (haven't tried it with the Playstation), my TV keeps showing the input number and then renaming it to HMC and back over and over again so a box stays on the screen. Anyone have this problem with a receiver?

Pioneer 821-K

Edit: I read somewhere that this might be a HDCP handshaking issue since cable and satellite boxes can be lovely about it. Set it to stay locked at one resolution to prevent this. Hopefully it works.

The Flying Milton fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 26, 2011

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

This thread has created a monster. My CS2 is now on the way. Yumm center channel goodness.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

It's a great budget center channel, I got mine on sale for like $89 with free shipping and I've been very happy with it. It's bloody huge though, make sure your stand/media center can fit it. After doing the "build in parts" approach for my home theater setup, I wish I had bought the center channel along with the towers instead of a sub first.

It fits but it's a little off center. I need a new TV stand.

Planning ahead I'm torn between my fronts and a sub. I'd like to match the fronts to my bookshelf set and center. I've heard the Series 2... series has been discontinued so it might be better to get them first.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

So I guess I'm in a pickle. Someone turned my receiver on and a pop came out of the speakers, then a puff of smoke apparently came from the top. When I turn it on the pop happens and the unit turns off. Guess I'm hosed?

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

coolskillrex remix posted:

Email pioneer, theres no way that wouldnt be covered under warranty.

I did so here's hoping.

I tried it this morning. It turns on but the center channel volume is really low. I think it has something to do with that.

Worst case I'll go raise he'll at best buy.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Hooray! I got my receiver back from Best Buy.

Pioneer VSX-821-K
Polk Studio 40s as front
Polk CS2 Center

Next up, Subwoofer. Not sure which one to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Addiction is a bad thing. Picked up a Polk PSW110 for my setup so now I've got some 3.1 goodness. I cannot wait until it is broken in properly.