Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I think it'd be good to mention that on HDMI 1.4a, Audio Return Channel also needs to be supported by the TV.
I was getting all excited about it, and then I found out my TV doesn't support it, and :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I have a Toshiba 40G300U (http://us.toshiba.com/tv/lcd/40g300u/) and I love it, except for that it's way too laggy to play some video games. For example, with Rock Band, the audio lags a bit and when someone sings, you can hear their voice come out of the TV a split second later, making it kind of a horrible experience.

Would this be something that's fixed by a receiver? I've been wanting a receiver for a while, in particular to have awesome Rock Band parties with my nerdy friends, but if the lag problem isn't going to be addressed, it'd be a waste of money.

By the way, just in case it helps, I'm using an Xbox 360, via HDMI. I've tried setting the resolution to 720p/i and 1080p/i and even using the "Game Mode" on the TV (which I think just turns 120Hz off and makes it work at 60Hz), and some are better than the others, but there's still lag.
I've also done the in-game calibration a bunch of times, and I even have the guitar that does it with light/sound sensor.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Also, since this is from February...

jonathan posted:

My recipe for a budget build that will still destroy a $2800 Bose setup:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-PK51FS
$519 (Andrew Jones designed 5.1 setup that sounds as good as speakers costing 2x as much)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-820-K
$299 (5.1 setup, HDMI upconverting, 3d support, MCACC auto calibration and on-screen menu, ipod/iphone connectivity with on-screen display)

Would it be a safe assumption to replace the VSX-820-K with the VSX-821-K?
Also: How about these speakers? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Home-Theater-Systems/SP-PK21BS I

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Welp, finally made up my mind and went for an Onkyo TX-NR509 (good price on Amazon right now at $289) and the Fluance AVHTB+ 5-speaker set that all the reviews say are drat good for $200. Here's to hoping they are!
Receiver will be here on Friday, Speakers not until next week. :ohdear:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Alfajor posted:

Receiver will be here on Friday, Speakers not until next week. :ohdear:
:ohdear: indeed. I got the receiver, speaker wire, banana plugs and everything, except for the speakers. I've got everything ready, the speaker wires all finished and run, and I've got to wait until THURSDAY. Fuuuuuck, I want to play with my shiny new toy right now!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Heh, I just posted that same thing on the other thread.

Anyway!
Last night I finally got my new setup up and running. Onkyo TX-NR509 with speakers from Fluance, the AVHTB+ set (fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html).
It's super nice! I did the Audyssey setup, which was a breeze, and right after that I put in a DVD of Lord of the Rings, and forwarded to an action sequence. Right then and there, poo poo eating grin.
Even if the Fluance set of speakers doesn't include a subwoofer, the floor standing fronts have a decent amount of bass. I don't think I'll be getting a subwoofer, at least not for a while. And while I'm far from an audiophile, these speakers are not bad at all, and for only $200, I'm super stoked I took the gamble.

Fun story: To ease the wife's concerns about how much money was spent and how big all the speakers are, I put in her favorite DVD: An Incubus concert. It sounded awesome, and with the music coming from all around, it was instant conviction! She was just as stoked to have a home theater setup going now too. :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Laminator posted:

Onkyo TX-NR509

I just got that receiver too, and I'm loving it! I'm using it with my cable box, xBox 360, DVD player and even to play music from my main PC.

On that note, I do have a question from a first-time home-audio owner.

How the hell do I know what "audio mode" I want to use? I've been docking around with them, but I'm most of the time leaving it on the one that sounds the fanciest :3: , like "dolby pro logic II"... and something tells me that this is not the best approach.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Alright, good to know, thanks guys.
I mainly wondered this as I played RockBand on my xBox and I didn't know if the sound was coming in multi-channel format from the game, or if the receiver was doing the processing.
I'll keep dicking around until I find what I like, but it helps to know what other people do and think.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Buying a subwoofer to finally do a 5.1 setup today. Getting the Polk PSW10 for $80 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA
I have an Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver, and I need a cable to make the connection. I've never plugged in a subwoofer, so can someone hold my hand and confirm that this is what I need? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2683&seq=1&format=2

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

My wife's Yoga small studio needs a humble stereo system, and I've volunteered to help. Something like this would fit all their needs: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-X-EM21-Stereo-System-iPod-Dock/dp/B00920ESSE/ref=zg_bs_281055_1
Question is: Would I be able to set up 4 speakers with anything similar to this (as far as features and price), if I sort of daisy-chain the L and R channels with an amp in the middle or something?

Details:
- The studio only has 1 room, and it can't fit more than 20 people doing yoga, so there's no need (or budget!) for big speakers.
- It's not one of those hot and humid Yoga places. It's basically a regular room in a building.
- The ceiling is exposed, so I have easy access with a ladder to all the beams up there, and I'm thinking of putting the speakers sort of in the center of the room in one axis, and at the 1/3 and 2/3ds on the other axis... and I'd go with corners of the 3rds if I were to do 4 speakers.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Nice, thanks. That Amp looks good, but some of the Yoga instructors bring their laptops in and just use the headphones jack to play from that into the sound system, so I'd also like some sort of cable input (and then I'd get the appropriate cable for it).

However, I hadn't even looked at tiny amps like those, and something like this would probably kick rear end: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-2218. Question: With the USB connection, you just drive playback from the device, right? Doesn't matter whether it's an iPhone, iPod, Android phone or whatever, as long as you bring in your own cable, riiiiight?

*edit: Bah, nevermind. I see that the one you suggested has RCA inputs, so I'd get a mini-stereo to RCA cable for it and good to go. My question about the USB connection is the only thing I'd like cleared up, but I think that I'm covered already anyway.

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 18, 2013

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I see. Thanks again!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I had an Onkyo TX-NR509 that all of a sudden wouldn't do anything. I called support, they told me it'd get fixed with the Warranty repair.
However, UPS hosed the shipment, and since I didn't insure it in full ( ugh ), I only got a $110 check from UPS instead of my receiver fixed.

So, I'm looking for a new receiver under $300, with similar performance to the TX-NR509. I need 3 HDMI inputs, and I've got a 5.1 speaker setup. Network (DLNA or Airplay) would be nice but not a requirement. Any tips?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Onkyo 616 is currently on Amazon for just above $300. Two generations newer and a model level higher! My 309 just died within a few days of going over 2 the 2 year mark and I'm considering getting that one. The newest generation (525, 626, etc) haven't been around long enough for me to comfortably buy one. I think it's complete crap that they released the -09 series with a 2 year life expectancy.

Yeah, given that I took good care of it, I'm also looking at other brands. Kinda looking at this deal that Amazon has on a Pioneer VSX-8231 or even a model from last year like the VSX-822. Choices... choices...

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I'm waiting until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy a receiver, hoping that there will be some sort of savings to be had.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

The weekend has been merrily spent re-listening to all her classical collection and noticing the details that were hidden.
That's awesome! :) You're a good son, hooking your mom up with practical knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I don't know that I'd connect my nice tower speakers to a $75 mini-amp from eBay. Am I being irrational? :ohdear: