Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

I am currently saving up for BRATZ Forever diamonds set
First time actually looking into decent home audio systems. Right now I'm running all my entertainment (games, Blu-ray, etc) though just the default TV speakers. It's really tiring, a lot of the time I'll just connect headphones but they're too restrictive and I want to be able to move freely, not to mention they get sort of painful for me to wear on long sessions.

Anyway, that aside, I'm looking to get a decent 5.1 system, I'm completely new to this so the OP was a wealth of knowledge. The only problem that I have and it may have been remedied previously in the thread (only skimmed) but I live in Canada and I can't get that godly Pioneer system. Not a huge deal, but it was a good price.

My question is... where should I really start? I've taken note of all the manufacturers in the OP. Is is possible for me to just head into a shop (even Best Buy?) or some place that has a home theatre room basically and test out what they have and see if I can get a decent set based on the recommendations. I wish I could just order online but that's not really an option for me.

My budget is quite high but I'm looking to spend not much more than maybe $1000-$1200.

The room that I'll have this setup in is relatively small so it doesn't need to be and incredible loud setup but basically something that gives me excellent sound qualities for all my games/movies and music too.

Sorry about rambling there and hopefully that makes sense. If anyone can point me in a good direction I'd be really grateful, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Yes, this is exactly what you should do. Once you've decided on a setup ask if you can try it at home. Hi-Fi shops normally let you do that for a nominal fee. If it still sounds good, pay the bill and you're set.

Since you're Canadian, why not sample the local goods? NAD electronics and Athena, Energy or Totem speakers are examples of Canadian audio expertise.

As long as you like them it is. You're the one who has to listen to them, after all

Awesome, thank you so much for the help and guidance. This really helps and I appreciate it.

I will have to check those out as I've not heard much about them.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

So, just referring to a few posts above about my first home theatre system build, just a minor update. I went into really only of the only places that stock home theatre equipment which was best buy. I eyed some of the equipment there and some dude came around to give me a hand. I basically explained, medium sized apartment looking for 5.1 or 7.1, doesn't matter too much to me, I would like just 2 tower speakers (dunno why, just completes the home theatre look itself.) within the 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

They seemed to have some good receivers, a few good Denons that had been recommended so I'm confident in their equipment on that end at least. The salesperson was really condescending and insisted that I don't need "big speakers to get a good sound" (I knew this, he just said it in a way that implied "heh dumb kid comes in here buyin' MY speaks," As indicated, regardless of the setup I would really like at least 2 tower speakers, might end up turning it into a 7.1 setup but that's no big deal.

Anyway in the long run the salesperson recommended to me that I get this $670 Onkyo receiver and a Harmon/Kardon 5.1 system with little tiny speaks tailored more for like luxuries rooms it seemed. They were about $550 so that alone would be over $1200, one other thing, the salesperson really scoffed at me when I said I'd probably just get my cables/accessories off monoprice rather that immediately accept his rocketfish banana plugs. Should this guy's advice be trusted?

I'm really just looking for a good or decent Denon or Onkyo receiver and a 5.1 set of good/decent speakers with at least 2 tall speakers. How much would this sort of thing realistically cost and where should I acquire the items. Online shopping better.

Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate it.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

I'm located in Kingston, Ontario.

And thanks a lot to both of you for your help!

Edit: you know, another option going back to the OP is just getting a set of Polk speakers off Newegg. I love shopping there anyway and I'm not really an audiophile/not too concerned about sound quality. Everything is reasonably priced it looks like. Just checking into it right now but still will probably end up buying used.

Polk is at least somewhat good, correct?

Ocular fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 25, 2011

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

If you can get them for a good price, there is no reason not to get them. There are better brands, but if you get yourself a set of larger towers, and a big center channel, you probably wont notice a big difference between your purchase and something triple the price. Once you get into the bigger tower speakers, the law of diminishing returns really begins to take effect. Would you be happier with other more expensive speakers ? Maybe. But if you're coming from TV speakers, or some friends home theatre in a box, or even some high end bookshelf speakers, the larger polk speakers will probably make you grin from ear to ear. Just make sure to set them up properly as far as room position, and run a calibration from your receiver.

Will do. And thank you so much once more for your help. I already went ahead and ordered to Polk setup, not sure about the receiver for now.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

What do you think would be the best receiver for the Polk setup that's on Newegg right now. Mine should be arriving soon and I'm still not sure about a receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

My Polk setup from Newegg arrived yesterday. Haven't had the chance to set it up but man do those speakers look nice.

As for the receiver, I actually ended up getting a good deal on an Onkyo TX-NR509. Local sound place had it for cheap so I just grabbed it, decent reviews on Newegg if that means anything. I'm sure it'll be a pleasant receiver nonetheless.

Thanks again for all the advice in this huge purchase, made it a lot easier. Will update once I head the setup in its full capacity.

edit: the Cherry is so friggin' nice.