Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Newegg has the Monitor 50s for $80 each or the Monitor 60s for $120 each. Am I going to be able to hear much difference between the two? I can't find any frequency response graphs to compare the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Will you be using them for music or HT mostly? You can hear the difference in music pretty easily. For HT use it isn't that big a deal, especially if you use a subwoofer. Then again, "much difference" is very subjective. I know the difference would bother me.

I will mostly be using it for HT. I went with the 50s since they were a better deal and really I can ebay them and not lose too much money if I decide I want to move up to some better speakers in a year or two.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

It would be crazy overkill, but maybe ask your wife if she would be ok with the McIntosh gear in the bedroom with a turntable, the HCM2 satellite speakers, and either an aux-in cable or a way to stream music if she wants?

That seems like the best solution since you said she won't want wires going all over the living room, which rules out doing surround. And trying to incorporate the McIntosh gear and the Yamaha is going to be complicated. And then if you guys move into a bigger place in the future you can use the McIntosh gear in a formal living room or an office.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

What would you guys suggest if his wife nixes the surround sound plan due to the wires? Same thing with 3 speakers?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I like the wirecutter's reviews. Not sure what you can find in Europe, but here's their guide to budget sound bars.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-soundbar/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Armond Poopson posted:

You guys would probably be the best to ask about this...

My old iPod died and I'd really like a new, dedicated music player. Since iTunes is now basically malware, I'm open to moving to another platform.

I still have all my old CDs (~2500 of them) and suppose I can re-rip, if need be. My home stereo setup is old school, replete with wired speakers that date all the way back to the 90s. I'm not really interested in using a portable player for home use, but I'm also not disinterested.

If you were me, what would you get? One of them FLAC players? A solid state ipod? Minidisc?

I have a chromecast audio and I've been happy with it. I use it for Spotify but google music let's you play your own music from anywhere for free.

Did your old ipod have all of your music? If you think the HDD is still working you might want to try seeing if you can grab the music off of it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Armond Poopson posted:

I still got everything on my computer hard drive and an external HD. I'm just saying I can re-rip my CDs into FLAC, if anyone thinks that's worth the effort.

Since you didn't name drop your brand of speakers or receiver, I'm going to guess that you aren't going to notice the difference.

Someone else might have another option, but I don't think anything is going to beat a $35 chromecast audio for what you want to do.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Turns out my Pioneer VSX-521 is like 1" too deep for my new media center. Looks like the Yamaha RX-V379 is the best budget receiver out there. Any other receivers I should look into for entry level home theater?

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v379/review

Also, anyone interested in my Pioneer VSX-521 for say $100 shipped?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I may be. Let me check with the mrs.

Nevermind, my HTPC is just a tiny bit too big as well, so I'm returning the media center instead.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bookshelf speakers plus stands can look pretty cool.

And as Dogen said - can you get a sub without fabric or would your cats destroy the wood?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Turns out my Pioneer VSX-521 is like 1" too deep for my new media center. Looks like the Yamaha RX-V379 is the best budget receiver out there. Any other receivers I should look into for entry level home theater?

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v379/review

Also, anyone interested in my Pioneer VSX-521 for say $100 shipped?

Ended up getting the smaller Yamaha receiver that fit better.

If anyone wants my Pioneer VSX-521 for $100 shipped give me a PM.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Captain Hair posted:

OK so terribly uninformed post here if anyone could lend

We've been using a panasonic sa-ak770 for the past almost 10 years? But it's radio isn't digital, the cd changer recently lost a tooth and only clicks, the tape deck stopped working and so the main unit itself just sits there awkwardly while I use its audio input port with my phone plugged in. Oh and the remote melted (!).

Is there any way I can replace the main unit but keep the existing speakers and sub?

The sub and speakers just have 2 wires each and are 700w total. Only trouble is I have NO idea what I'm doing and wouldn't want to kill the speakers or media playing unit just by jamming them in holes and praying.

Ideally I'm after the cheapest option. Though with modern fancy technology if there's a way to hook it up to wifi or windows sharing or Bluetooth that'd be fantastic.

Anyone has any advice that'd be great. Thanks :)

Looks like the SA-AK770 has 2 passive speakers and a passive sub. Since your sub doesn't have speaker outputs you aren't going to be able to hook it up without a separate subwoofer amp, which probably isn't worth doing. But you can reuse the speakers.

Cheapest would be a used receiver off of craigslist or a chinese T-amp. In terms of fancy technology there aren't many budget options other than the google chromecast music or Audiocast M5.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

KillHour posted:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

That being said, it's not much more than an amplifier with a 3.5mm jack, so you're not gaining anything except a smaller footprint.

I didn't realize they made T-amps that had passive sub hookups. That's pretty cool.

I should've mentioned in my earlier comment that Captain Hair could probably just hook up the sub to the speaker outputs, but without a crossover I don't know how good that would sound.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 20, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Not 100% sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for a bluetooth speaker. It's to stand on my nightstand and play ambient stuff while I fall asleep. I want good sound and something thats not super gaudy looking. So far I've looked at the JBL Flip 2 and the Libratone Zipp BT, are there any other speakers you guys would recommend?

I just got the UE Roll 2 and I really like it. The sound quality is really good, it looks cool, it's waterproof, small and the bungee makes it easy to hang. Only complaint is that the bass is a little weak and you can't change the song from the speaker. But for $100 I don't know if you can find anything better.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Yea, I realized that with a portable bluetooth speaker I'd be paying for a few features that I wouldn't be using as you said. Neither the speakers or amp you mentioned are available in my country unfortunately, however, I did find these bluetooth speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-USA-e25-Eclipse-Bluetooth/dp/B00GDDTTFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467038282&sr=8-1 which seem like a pretty good fit for my use case (good sound, nice looks and no subwoofer). Wonder if anyone here has experience with them or at least the brand?

If you don't care about portability, Full Circle's right that a t amp or monitors are probably your best bet. I like my AV40s for budget computer speakers, but if you want bluetooth it looks like the Wirecutter likes the Edifer Spinnakers and the Grace Digital AptX. I haven't heard either in person.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-computer-speakers/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

KillHour posted:

You need an amplifier to power the speakers in addition to the cd player. You probably won't be able to find a single unit that does both and isn't really expensive or lovely. The round one is an RCA cable. Likely for a powered sub, but there's no way to tell for sure without finding the other end.

Nah it's an antenna connection.

Edit: busy bee, I would definitely look for something used. People are trying to get rid of CD players all the time. And you would just need a stereo receiver to go with it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Assuming your sub has speaker out connections, you can continue to use it. But I can't make any promises about sound quality

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I have a pair of AV40s on my covered porch. Am I asking for trouble? I live in Ohio so I could see humidity and temperature being an issue, but then again I only paid $80 for them.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Are there any signs that android auto compatible stereos are going to get cheaper? It seems ridiculous that I have to buy a $500 DVD player to get a stereo that will display google maps and spotify.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Are you talking about car stereos?

Whoops yeah sorry wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

You can't get audio quality similar to headphones for that budget. That said, Bluetooth speaker you can carry around is probably what you want.

Friend has one of these JBL speakers. Audio is clear, it's small enough and has a decent battery.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Splashpr...uetooth+speaker

He has $1000 to spend. I think he can do better than that. Though I do wonder how much sound quality matters when you're listening to waves and raindrops, but that's not for me to decide.

I would suggest some studio monitors. AV40s are a good deal for $120. Or you can upgrade to a pair for JBL LSR305 monitors for $300 or Yamaha monitors.