Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
Just liked to say I just went from Polk TSi 100's to some vintage Acoustic Research AR-4x's and I'm never looking back. The difference is just unbelievable. I had them paired with an HSU STF-2 so the polks even had a little help in the low end. I knew the Polks were a weak link, I just didn't think a big upgrade could be had for half the money of the TSi100's.

I went from a Denon AVR-1909, Polk TSi100's, HSU STF-2, Boston Center and Surrounds, to

Marantz 2245, Acoustic Research AR-4x, HSU STF-2

and the latter is cheaper, and far better. My neighbors are not so keen, the girl below me knocked on my door within 30 minutes of getting the AR's. I gave the bostons to a friend when I got the Marantz.

I guess what I'm saying is, sure HTR's have lots and lots of nice features, and speakers like polk's are easy to get, but a much better performing, more pleasing, less expensive sound setup can be had with used equipment.

Baddog posted:

Thoughts on the Hsu and Velodyne?

I've got the STF-2. Its good for movies and acceptable for music. It can hit the low notes, but it rolls them off a bit. Doesn't handle fast music very well (as to be expected). Placement is very important. The bass is pretty amazing in the opposite corner, but I'm not gonna watch a movie standing in the corner of the room.

If you have the cash, I would bite the bullet and get their VTF series. Im constantly messing with the volume on mine. It will "thwap" with some really intense scenes.

Needless to say, I like it quite a lot, and don't plan on parting with it anytime soon.

I like it alot more now that I have some front speakers that can produce some lows, as before I had a gap between the woofer and the speakers.

proton fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot

duckfarts posted:

Is the auto-calibration included in receivers all you need to do?

I generally used the auto-calibration to start, then made my own adjustments afterward. I found with my Denon that the bass settings were absurdly innaccurate.

After doing it a few times I didnt use it at all. Your own ears are far more discerning than a cheap microphone.