Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Theeee Spacepope

This topic is hillarious. I agree completely on the Honor Harrington novels, they may have wandered off in the later ones but the first few are really good, while the covers are just plain horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So this one is partially making fun of the covers partially recommending the book.

This was the original cover of the paperback (which I kind of like - it fits the story):

This was the second iteration (yuck):

This is what they replaced it with when they made it into a compilation:

*shudders*

I don't know why they just kept making the covers worse instead of reusing the original which wasn't half bad.

As for the book itself, it's one of my top three. The series as a whole is pretty good, but this book is exactly what a fantasy novel should be and stands well on it's own if you don't want to read the other 4 books. The setting is incredible, so much so that I think it would make a great video game. The characters are well defined and there's some serious badassery. The story is fun without being silly, and the back story of the world and Jame herself is interesting. Most importantly I think Jamethiel is probably the best female protagonist in any fantasy novel I've read. What makes this book awesome? Hundreds of weird gods, a city that's almost a character in itself, a badass female protagonist who goes from being a confused lost naive girl who can't recall her (rather dark) past to a parkour master thief with a nasty habit of slicing people's throats with her retractable claws when she gets angry. Oh, and she unintentionally sucks people's souls too.

Sadly it's very obscure and the books go in and out of print on a regular basis.