Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

revmoo posted:

What's anti-skate set at? It needs to be 0 for DJing. Otherwise it looks like you need new parts.

I thought it had to not move at all when spinning on a blank vinyl. Personally I had to have like 2.25 anti skate for that with how I like mine weighted and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

b0red posted:

I thought it had to not move at all when spinning on a blank vinyl. Personally I had to have like 2.25 anti skate for that with how I like mine weighted and what not.

Not for DJing, only for playback. It probably doesn't matter much though. I used to run anti-skate about as much as you until I found out you're supposed to turn it off when spinning records. I can't really tell a difference.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

revmoo posted:

Not for DJing, only for playback. It probably doesn't matter much though. I used to run anti-skate about as much as you until I found out you're supposed to turn it off when spinning records. I can't really tell a difference.

Personally I weighted my needle and adjusted my height to what the suggested settings were and my needle would jump like crazy when I would backspin (I do it a lot for precueing and it's also just done a lot in bass music). I guess just pick your preference, but id suggest to that one guy to get a blank vinyl and adjust it to where it doesn't move when it spins. Mix like that for a bit and see how you like it. Also I don't like to run my counterweight super heavy because I'm not in a club and I don't want to wear my records out practicing.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd blame needle alignment or weight. I run 0 anti-skate and I can backspin like a mofo without skips @ 2.5g

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

revmoo posted:

I'd blame needle alignment or weight. I run 0 anti-skate and I can backspin like a mofo without skips @ 2.5g

What's your table/cart/headshell whatever the gently caress it's called. I have a stanton trackmaster v3 on my st150. With iirc the counterweight at 3g. I'm gonna get the cart of the gods soon though. Also you spinning records or time codes?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have Whitelabels on 1200s and I mostly use timecodes but also still throw records on from time to time. I _never_ get a skip on the timecodes and will occasionally get them on some of my more beat on records. Often I'll max the weight if I'm mixing hiphop vinyl and that solves that.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

keevo posted:

There's a ton of places. I'll PM you when I get home.

fake edit: I can't pm you. What's your email? I'm gonna send you phone numbers of guys who do repairs

Cool, thanks! guyswhodorepairs@icloud.com

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I have Whitelabels on 1200s and I mostly use timecodes but also still throw records on from time to time. I _never_ get a skip on the timecodes and will occasionally get them on some of my more beat on records. Often I'll max the weight if I'm mixing hiphop vinyl and that solves that.

I'm guessing you know this, but depending on the software you're using and its settings, it may be filtering out skips for you (ie Serato in Relative mode.)

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
If you use relative mode you can use a turntable with seriously hosed anti-skate whatever. 2/3 of mine wont go past around the 5-7 minute mark.

I actually like it better because i never have to reset the needle!

Some sound guy nerd told me it fucks my poo poo up but ive been using them like that for hundreds of gigs. No change in any wear and tear i can find. Seriously though, i like them better broken...something to think about.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I wonder why they don't make relative mode vinyls with looping grooves.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Don't looped grooves have a little bit of a click/weird moment where it you can tell it hit that loop part? If so that would throw off the time code ever so slightly unless the DVS system had some sort of way to know it happened.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Locked grooves only have a pop in them where a normal groove leads into them. I'm not sure if the pop would effect the audio output if it's on a timecode record though. You could also press a timecode record with tons of unconnected locked grooves on it like this: http://www.discogs.com/Various-RRR-1000-Lock-Grooves/release/1973542

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I have some old scratch records that were pressed with circular grooves, so there's no skipping because the locked grooves don't feed into each other. DJ Rectangle also used to produce a lot of never-ending beats for MCs and DJs, too. I'm surprised those sorts of records haven't become more collectible.

I'm sitting on about 1000 90s hip-hop and downtempo singles, hoping one day at least some them might be sold for somewhere near what I paid for them.

I am trying to decide how to sort BPM in my Traktor library. I do a lot of half-tempo blends 60/120 or 70/140 and want them both to be listed as the same bpm (ie all 70 bpm tracks are mapped at 140, 60 at 120, etc.

But I cannot decide what numbers to start/stop on. I play lots of different types of music and can't decide which number range to use, as I have lots of stuff ranging from 60-160 bpm

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I've been looking for this track for a while, it's a remix of Heart - These Dreams by Game. I'm pretty sure it's unauthorized because it might as well not exist. Anybody know where to find it? Not looking for filez, I'd love to get a whitelabel if possible.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Finally my second st150 is coming in today. No longer am I mixing vinyl and traktor. Now I can finally piece together all my plates.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

b0red posted:

Don't looped grooves have a little bit of a click/weird moment where it you can tell it hit that loop part? If so that would throw off the time code ever so slightly unless the DVS system had some sort of way to know it happened.

It doesnt. Ive played about 200 gigs with it broken.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
"At the end of the day, it's about taking a big bunch of high people and trying to get them higher" - Fatboy Slim

:v:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Cool documentary thing called BEATZ with a lot of interviews with DJs and producers, talking about the scene has changed with electronic music:

http://vimeo.com/97549389

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
DJ Player for iOS has supported DVS functionality since last year – do you guys think Traktor or Serato will eventually release some kind of iPad DVS solution solution as well?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wow, Pioneer announced the PLX-1000, their own turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMF0pYZfuQk

Definitely keeping a close eye on this.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

keevo posted:

Wow, Pioneer announced the PLX-1000, their own turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMF0pYZfuQk

Definitely keeping a close eye on this.

Wow I may definitely pick up a set. I could probably trade in my 12s and not have to mortgage my house.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

revmoo posted:

not have to mortgage my house.

Jokes on you if you plan on buying pioneer anything.

E:msrp is $700

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 17, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah that MSRP is like pre-order levels of awesome.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
How big of a difference do stands make for PA speakers? Does it noticeably improve the sound and/or help protect them at gigs where people are closer to the speakers?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Yes it helps the sound. If you're leaving them on the floor then the sound won't travel as far if people are in front of them and absorbing the sound. If you leave them at around ear level, they won't be blocked by people and it'll travel further.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Also drunk people will try to twerk on them which is always fun. I'm so glad I don't have to bring speakers to gigs now...it can be pretty stressful watching over your poo poo.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

TheWevel posted:

Also drunk people will try to twerk on them which is always fun. I'm so glad I don't have to bring speakers to gigs now...it can be pretty stressful watching over your poo poo.

Absolutely. New Year's Eve was scary as hell with one of my mains near the dance floor. Luckily nobody got that silly. Instead people were more keen to dance on and around the booth. Almost as nerve racking and way more annoying.

Edit: God, that still scares the hell out of me to think about. Has anyone ever seen anything on sticks go down?

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 23, 2014

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Yep. Had a speaker once fall about five feet down because it was so windy. Luckily no one was around it and the speakers weren't damaged. It was scary as hell though since it was a rental.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Saw one get blown into a swimming pool once, also from wind. Was trying to play this patio gig thing but hadn't started because of the inclement weather

It wasn't powered nor was anyone in the pool at the time, so it didn't hurt anyone

Also it wasn't my speaker, thankfully

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I've walked into a pub where my buddy was trying to repair his fallen EON 15. Someone knocked it over and while he was happy that nobody got hurt, he was certainly upset that someone had punched in the driver. Closest I've come to seeing falling gear.

I started putting my guitar case on the floor in front of my mic stand for gigs. This keeps people away so they don't bump the microphone into my face while dancing. I've chipped a tooth that way before. What happened a few gigs in? Someone tried walking over my wooden guitar case to reach me for a request. A loud pop was the sound of my heart sinking at my broken case. Luckily the crowd gave the dude some poo poo - honest mistake, but I was still sad.

MakeWarHarmlesser
Jun 29, 2009

This is probably a silly question but is there any sort of trick to mixing trap?

I normally stick to house/techno but lately I decided to branch out because people around here are way more into dubstep/trap. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to transition from one track to the next apart from "line up the drops and crossfade over". I've tried looking on youtube to see if I could find any videos of mixing, but they all just seem to be still pictures of butts.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MakeWarHarmlesser posted:

This is probably a silly question but is there any sort of trick to mixing trap?

I normally stick to house/techno but lately I decided to branch out because people around here are way more into dubstep/trap. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to transition from one track to the next apart from "line up the drops and crossfade over". I've tried looking on youtube to see if I could find any videos of mixing, but they all just seem to be still pictures of butts.

That is basically how you are supposed to mix dubstep, at least. Hard cuts.

Doesn't stop me from trying to mix it like trance, though.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

MakeWarHarmlesser posted:

I don't really see how you don't know.. Most trap music is 70bpm and follows the exact same structure - either line up the drops (easy mode) or use songs in the same key and blend them throughout (hard mode). A good tip is to lead in 8/16 bars before a quiet part and have the drop hit as soon as the other song gets quiet.

This is harder to do with actual records, super easy to visually cue on a computer.

MakeWarHarmlesser
Jun 29, 2009

I guess I could've phrased it better, I've been practicing layering songs using filters/eq but it always sounds really muddled. I guess I just need to practice more and listen for more quiet/sparse parts of songs before mixing in the next one, thanks for the advice.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Trap is very 'noisy', like dubstep; it is difficult to double-drop and as someone said a couple of posts above, the easiest way is to line up song B's drop with song A's breakdown, and simply hard cut - almost like mixing hip-hop (lyric downbeat of B comes in as outro of A). I am stubborn as hell and mix double-drops all the time, to a fault, but if you're doing that (again, this was already mentioned) you basically have to mix harmonically. If your mixer has sharp EQs you can still cover up key clashes by basically cutting the midrange entirely. It's trap though so you'll probably still be left with a bunch of rhythmically-clashing hi-hats and percussion in the top end.

So basically, just mix it like hip-hop, or become intimately familiar with your available double-drops.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I use a lot of loops when mixing trap so that I can make my own buildups. Loop the outgoing track seamlessly and blend it with the incoming build-up, bringing the highs up, up, up, while taking the lows out right up until the next drop which hits hard.

Trap is serious fun to mix though. There's a million right ways to do it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Synths thread, but since I do more spinning than fiddling with Ableton/Aira end of things I figure it should go here.

'Lights Per Dollar', or, 'expensive blinky toys to fill the hole in my heart'

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
How comfortable are Pioneer HDJ-1000s for extended periods?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Probably depends on the size of your head. I have a larger head and find them either uncomfortable or far too loose, rarely finding the sweet spot in the adjustment. I want to like them, but sort of regret buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can we talk more about manual tempo transitions? I want to hear your techniques. I'm growing tired of using tracks with pre-made tempo shifts, and slowly ramping the tempo of two tracks in opposing directions isn't enough of a challenge.

Someone mentioned this a while ago but I can't remember whom: Translating a subdivision, let's say 1/8 notes, into a different subdivision, like 1/12 notes, at a different tempo, and using a looping feature . I've heard this employed deliberately in a couple of songs - the one that immediately comes to mind is ShockOne - Polygon (Dirtyphonics remix) and I recall the tempo change being something like 175BPM->132.250BPM. So I know the 'ballpark' for that one particular kind of transition, but is there a formula to determine to what tempo you might be able to create such a polyrhythmic switch? Obviously free-looping is your friend in this ballgame.