Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Lil Jon is a dj?! I knew he did more then yeah YEAH and WHAT all day, but I had no idea he was an actual dj. Interesting!

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's up with all these people who you think have one shot gimmicks and you wonder how did they get so famous!?

Maybe if I yelled random words while autotuned i'd be extra famous?

Anyway real question! In the last thread I was asking about laptops. I was avoiding Apple because of their hefty price tags on laptops. So I found some reasonable ones, but they had AMD Turion II processors. I was told to avoid them due to problems with certain software. The other recommendation was intel. My question is what kind of intel processor? There is so many to choose from! And I'm kinda dumb at this.

Any help welcome.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's the easy option (i know it is and I'd love to do it), but those price tags! :smith: for a starter "bedroom dj" like me a mac is a big investment. Even bigger then my controller and monitors combined :v: I mean I could save up for one. Maybe I'm just being picky.

If it helps I'm running with a Numark Mixtrack Pro and Virtual DJ LE.

Professorbx posted:

AMD processors, while cheap and speedy, have issues with most DVS systems (Serato&Traktor especially). Really it is a crapshoot-some people never have an issue, others do. As for Intel, really any Core 2 Duo 2.1ghz and above will do. The Core i3's are quite powerful for not much cash as well.

i3's huh? I'm looking at these and they seem to be right in my price range! AWESOME.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+La...customerreviews

Goon consensus? YAY or JUST GET A MAC ALREADY

fake edit: OH shiz! Didn't see this posted in the other thread.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Intel_Core_2_Duo_2_16GHz_13_MacBook_2_0GB_p/macbook1.htm

This is most deff doable. Thanks again for all the advice and tips for a starter like me.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GbrushTwood posted:

Hey Og Kush, I don't have PM capabilities, but here's my info for the directory. I'll delete my post afterwards.

That intro to your mix. I've heard that voice before. Isn't it a goon voice actor?

Anyway quick question! I got this KRK Rokit 5 and I was wondering what cables I need to hook it up to my Mixtrack :eng99: I've read around it and most shops say they ship with Stereo RCA cables, but mine didn't for one reason or another.

I just wanna make sure these are the cables I need before I go out and get some only to find out I got the wrong size or something.
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mini-Plug-Computer-Stereo/dp/B000FEHO0U

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GbrushTwood posted:

As a matter of fact it is! He had a thread where he would say anything anyone wanted, so I had him record that voiceover, and then I decided to start my mix with it. :)

I wonder if he knows he;s now part of a face melting mix?

vanilla slimfast posted:

Link to info about your mixtrack and about your rokits and I'll tell you for sure

Also, this is the best place to buy cables: http://www.monoprice.com/

Here's the back of the pro

and the back of the rokit 5 with some general info

Drivers: Woofer: 5" Glass Aramid Composite Woofer
Tweeter: 1" Neodymium Soft Dome Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
Input: XLR (3-pin), RCA & 1/4" TRS - 10k Ohm, Balanced / Unbalanced
Amplification: HF: 15 Watts/LF: 30 Watts
Freq Response: 53Hz - 20kHz (+/- 2 db)
Video Shielding: Yes
Dimensions:(H x W x D) 10 7/8" x 7 1/4" x 8 7/8"
27.6cm x 18.5cm x 22.5cm
Weight: 13.8 lbs (6.3 Kg)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ah! awesome! Thanks a poo poo ton. I thought I was about done with this setting up part until i realized i had no cables!

I'm basically done now, I can use my desktop to run Virtual Dj since the get go. Now i just gotta mix something and not suck.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Yea, contest will probably end up lovely although if everyone does a 10 minute mix as a pass around project and adds on to it, that could be pretty interesting.

The thing with with goon projects like this or one like in the past(goon city/train/scraper) is that we'd need a lot of involvement!

I think there's enough djs(or people who can mix some songs) here to be able to make a goon mega mix.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GWS has competitions all the time and their threads get stickied all over the fuckin' place.

Just need to do the same thing.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Makes sense! Too bad i'm terrible at mixing.

Speaking of mixing! I suck! Speaking of me sucking! I set up an account with beatport. Do you guys just buy random songs you enjoy or do you do what I do and buy entire albums after hearing one song you like on it?

I feel that way I can have more poo poo to work with. Kinda fun to look through the album and find a song that goes well with another song you've heard.

also! should I be buying in mp3 or wav format from beatport?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ah! I see! I'll just stick to mp3s since it's what I know. Songs sound like they should through my rokit. Maybe I have untrained ears since I can't honestly tell the difference.

v:v:v

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I meant difference in format. 320 mp3 wav mp4 can't tell the diff! (in quality) I'll learn.

As for music, I hate to be really cliche, but I love every genre of music. Pandora is a god send for me. Also really useful for finding new artist by the way.

Lately I've been doing what most kids my age do and listening to alot of dubstep. I never took to time to actually listen to the genre until recently. I can see why everyone likes it to much. Heavy basslines, catchy drums/kicks/snare, crazy drops back into more heavy bass.

I've been stuck with Rusko and Chase & Status for a bit. Anybody know of any one else I should be keeping my ear on?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Awesomeo thanks

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
SUP fellow mixtrack (pro) bro :respek:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks for the response! I'll start saving up for those Technics, although at what seems like the price of nearly $1k a turntable this definitely won't be cheap. I have another questions specifically for Mixtrack users, since I noticed there are a couple of you guys here:

How feasible is scratching on the Mixtrack? Any attempts I make at this are incredibly sloppy, and I haven't been able to find any good guides or videos of someone scratching one and showing you how to. I've found like one or two youtube videos of some guy scratching on one to some moderate success, but I can't even begin to replicate anything like that. I know part of it is just simply practicing, but I really don't even know what goals to be shooting for when I practice, nothing I do sounds really fluid or goes with whatever else I'm playing.

You can scratch with a controller or cdj. I'm sure its some what difficult giving the jog wheels don't move. As too, a vinyl always turning.

But I wouldn't know for sure. I'm no scratch dj.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 7, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meliv posted:

:respek:

Defiantly don't regret buying it. Would highly recommend it to newbs with a budget

Although, virtual dj that came with it crashes quite a bit on me. Atleast when I upgraded to the 20 days free trial for PRO.

Worked alot better before I decided to try the trial :colbert:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When my lil free trial runs out I'll give traktor a try.

oh man new page?! UHHHHHH

Check out this cool turntable this guy has!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dowdenboy#p/u/7/fw-nJRD78tA

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 9, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm new to this stuff, ok :smith:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got a cheapo pair of skullcandy headphones the other day from a friend and MAN! Is mixing songs so much easier now. Granted, I was never great, but at least I can drop songs in and out with out sounding TOO bad.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I need some help guys!

I don't know whether to post here or the dj mixes thread to be honest, but I'd rather not post there until i'm ready! kinda like a goal.

ANYWAY! For mixes what's a good way to transition into a new song? Just chop over? Or maybe use a effect or loop the last beat to try and beat match it into the next?

I'm having a hard time here.

also since im discussing effects! is less more? do you simply play the song and just mess around with the treble and bass a bit or leave as is. or do you try and throw in some loops or any effects?

edit:gramamar

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 3, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks for the tips

as soon as i record a small mix i'll post it here for review. i'll try out different methods and see what i need to work on.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm back! After doing nothing at all! I spend some time on and off working on my beat matching/melody matching and what not.

I came out with a 2 song uhh mix? Or set? ANYWAY!

I don't know whether to post it here or the mix thread, since it's not really a mix. Just something I'm working on getting better at. So I need some critiques on my transitions!

transition starts about 5:50-6:15
http://soundcloud.com/fatsowellington/drummingmachinestarryeyedmix
No effects, just music doing it's thing.
Bad, ok, needs tweeks?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

88h88 posted:

I'm very new at this myself but as my ears hear it the Boy 8 Bit remix is essentially 'over' at 4.48 and the rest of it is outro for you to mix the next track in (I've heard DJs mix in another track right at the final chorus) but there's about a minute of wind down before you start getting the next track in there which leaves us until 7.20 where the Goulding track gets interesting...

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this but if I were you I'd grab the Goulding track and overlap it a lot more, start it off at 4.48, begin to drop out the bassline of the Florence track and bring the other one in to take over whilst slowly mixing out the highs and mids.

I've had maybe a few hours total on my decks and this seems to work nicely for me. I guess it all depends on what kind of mixing you want to do, long flowy intro/outro mixing or the really short sharp banger type poo poo of just keeping you in choruses forever with minimal overlap.

Play some more, I'll try and upload a few things at some point soon so you can critique my terrible attempts. :v:

Hey thanks!

I went to a club recently and was amazed by the DJ. Not that he was like GOD or anything, but he obviously knew his poo poo. He was dropping tracks left and right with out missing a beat or anyone noticing that the song changed until the chorus or drop of the new song started.

I guess I'm looking to be the second one, but I'd love to be great at both.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey! Alright, I finally got a Dj friend to chat with and what not. Turns out he's a family friend! Who knew?

Anyway, he said if I'm just starting out I should stick to top 40s if I want to get serious. So Now I feel silly for buying all these cool house cds of beat port :v:

I also bought some SONY mdr-v700 from amazon! This is an expensive hobby! God drat, I better start doing something to earn all this money back.

I got a question for any of you top 40 guys, where can I check out what the top 40 are? Also, where can I also buy the songs. I tired djcity, but I gotta be a real dj to use the digital record pool :shobon:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not his words, I shoulda clarified on that one. I do play what I want! I went through my "catalog" and realized I have poo poo for music! Not that it's bad music (too me), but I doubt I can get a party going off alot of random indie rock and random trance/house/electro :v:

I do check out iTunes now and then. Buying a Britney Spears album is something I never thought I'd do, but I love it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trust me in saying, I've spent way too much already. It's gonna catch up to my tattoo spending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I find myself buying songs left and right and keep forgetting I have a Mixtrack PRO.:v:

I got that itch in me that just loves music! I just can't make it :smith: But man, do I love to try finding songs that work well together. Even in a non-Dj setting. I'm determined to Dj damnit.