Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Very good OP! I hope plenty of newbies will find the help they need easily now. You also reminded me about buying ear plugs, I already have tinnitus from going to concerts regularly since I was 16 and I have to take extremely good care of my ears now when I go to a show. Seriously, buy some plugs, I'm not even close to 30 yet and I've lost a bit of my hearing already.

Just a correction, A-Track should be changed to A-Trak under Skratch DJs, maybe a R.I.P. next to DJ AM :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Professorbx posted:

I can tell you first hand, 100% verifiable that they are all discontinued. They are gone. I have had conversations with the buyers of leading retail chains who had to do their final buy in, as recently as NAMM. They are dead. For the love of god, will people just accept this?

So does this mean the pair of 1200s I will have are going to be museum pieces in a decade or two? :)

I said in the last thread I was going to drop a few bones for another 1200 and HDJ-500s once my tax return came; the time has come! Looks like 1200s can still be had under 250 (without carts, of course), been watching them for the last few weeks to see how much I should expect to pay for one. Hopefully I can make off like a bandit with both turntable and headphones while paying under 300.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
How come I never see anyone use SL DZs? They look pretty cool, and I'm seeing a lot of them on eBay. Is there something wrong or bad about them?

E: Just read your review on them, prof bx. I must admit that I bought one. :shobon:

THAT DAMN DOG fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 9, 2011

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Stabbing Spork posted:

I tried out the SL DZ for a few weeks when it first came out. Scratching was crap because the platter on top had way too much give to it before it did anything, and trying to scratch with MP3's gave you some kind of bizarre space invader sound effects. It was slow as hell loading up new songs, and very expensive when it first came out.

I will be using it for Serato, so hopefully I won't ever have to use a regular CD and run into those problems. I got it really cheap, and decided I had nothing to lose and I could resell it if I didn't like it. But almost everywhere I read online complained about the platter.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Fatal posted:

JohnBeez, on the other hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJyvkL2q8uk

In other news, Tracktor Pro 2 announced, check out djtechtools video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQjaQ6rWpw

Awesome, makes me want to pick up an Audio4.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Anyone have experience on the audio side of DJing? I'm looking for a pair of powered speakers, and I'm stuck between JBL EON G2, Mackie Thump TH15A, and American Audio XSP.

First off, are 15" speakers overkill for a 75-125 person crowd? I'd rather go easier on my wallet and hopefully not blow my crowds eardrums, would a 12" speaker suffice?

Next one, a single JBL speaker can cost as much as half my cars worth, can I get by with a Mackie speaker or even an American Audio speaker? The venue I will be playing at has JBL EON G2s but they're pretty much all blown, so I can't really see how good they sound like.

E: The venue has a subwoofer so I guess bass shouldn't be a problem.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
^^I went to a Designer Drugs party that had two of those, pretty sure because I remember them using Yamaha subs. That was the show where I got tinnitus, haha.

Sjoewe posted:

Yeah, we also have JBL EON gen. 2's at the 'office'. That 18" sub really has some good punch to it, and what I love about the EON's is that they are light weight, for a mobile system that's a huge plus.

We occasionally rent the PA from our local illegal soundsystem (think what you want about ravers, but they always have a real good system), and their amprack alone already weighs in at 250 lbs, let alone for the subwoofers. Not something you want to drag around too often.

You are right about that. One of the crews in our city regularly rented out the local raver crew's sound system and jesus christ you could feel the bass all the way in the parking lot.

melee beats posted:

B52 Matrix systems, as stated, are really nice. loving huge sub, though. I have an EON system and I love it, but I got mine secondhand for like $150 each. It was a steal.

oredun posted:

I really really like the b52 matrix systems. Have a look at those.

I looked at a b52 system that has two 15s with stands and a sub for ~1,000 looks like I will be getting that, thank you!

THAT DAMN DOG fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 16, 2011

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Dubplate Fire posted:

Anyone know what's being upgraded with the new Traktor 2 that's being released on April 1?

I currently am using an audio 4 DJ with the current Traktor Pro software. If I use my existing hardware and I only upgrade the software will I be losing any of the new functionality? Also, what is being improved with the new sound cards? If I'm going to upgrade I would be purchasing the Audio 10 (the new Audio 8 DJ). NI is offering a pretty decent discount if you are upgrade within the first 3 months of release so I would like to know if the sound card is actually an improvement or if I am just throwing cash away.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/02/10/traktor-pro-2-now-released/

That should answer most of your questions. Maybe someone else can provide more insight into whether an upgrade in your soundcard would be worth it or not.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Cowboy. posted:

Anyone played around with Torq 2.0 yet? I have the Connectiv but I got Serato recently and don't see myself going back.

If you want something done with Torq, Traktor can do it better and without crashing. Sorry, AVID.

melee beats posted:

How is scratching working out for him?

Oh yeah

:smugdog:

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I would prefer to get the 7200 rpm drive in there, but if you have the kind of money to get a laptop like that I'd throw in a SSD.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I need some help guys!

I don't know whether to post here or the dj mixes thread since to be honest, but I'd rather not post there until i'm ready! kinda like a goal.

ANYWAY! For mixes what's a good way to transition into a new song? Just chop over? Or maybe use a effect or loop the last beat to try and beat match it into the next?

I'm having a hard time here.

also since im discussing effects! is less more? do you simply play the song and just mess around with the treble and bass a bit or leave as is. or do you try and throw in some loops or any effects?

Mixing is where you are creative, there are a plenty of ways you can mix, you can watch videos or tutorials on how to mix on Youtube if you'd like. Just search 'ellaskins' on Youtube, that guy is a wealth of information. But there is no 'right' way to mix. Explore, and keep pushing the envelope.

Effects are a bit more of a personal choice. Personally I despise effects, especially djs that mash on the FLANGER button all night (I'm looking at you, Supa James on KRCK). I just use Low Pass and High Pass filters sparingly, but I prefer to stick to the EQs.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Best thing to come out of this discussion:

qirex posted:

Counterpoint:

New topic:
I want to keep my turntable but want to add a CDJ. I saw a local club that uses a 1200MK5 with a CDJ-900 and it looks like a pretty cool balance of control and loop-geddon, and I'd like to do the same thing but I'm not sure how they get it to work since you can only switch to Phono or Line in the Serato software. How would I go about this?

Also would a vinyl and CD be read at the same time by the software?

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

From behind you look like Tommie Sunshine

Haha not even. Tommie is just some random hobo hippie who happens to also make music.

I think he looks more like one of the guys from Cold Blank from behind http://chubbyfingers.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/cb.jpg

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Should I throw my SL1 on eBay to snatch up the Rane SL 2 or is it not worth it? Slower USB 1.1 and supposedly shitter sound quality hasn't really been a problem with the SL1 but would the SL2 be that much bigger of an upgrade?

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

chrix posted:

Honestly, I'd hold out for an SL3 or SL4 if you're thinking of upgrading. The SL2 doesn't look like it adds a lot to the SL1, it seems like more of a sidegrade.

Yeah SL3/4 is too expensive and I don't really need the extra features, two decks is perfect and if I need to add another deck I just add a CDJ and use that as a sampler/extra deck. Just hope they don't stop supporting the SL1 since they said on their page it's being discontinued.

I've been watching videos around the net of people like Porter Robinson using S4's exclusively, and watching Ean Golden's tutorial videos make me just want to scrap the traditional setup and just buy an S4. It's a pain carrying all that crap around and having to deal upgrades.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
^^I am at a loss as to what kind of music I would play at an event like that.

How much DJ cred would I lose if I got the Sennheiser HD 25SP ($130) over the HD 25-1 II($199)? Any sound quality difference/comparisons? All the DJs I know use either HDJ-1000s or the Technics headphones so I can't really try them. I think I will be looking into a lightweight headphone over the clunky Pioneers.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Really happy to say I got myself another 1200, a Xone:22 (not enough money for a :42 or a TTM-56) and a pair of white HDJ-500s. Very excited to try out the filters on the :22. Just excited in general since it's been about half a year since I've mixed with two turntables.

I've had to do it ghetto style on just one 1200 with a Behringer VMX100 (most terrible mixer on the planet, 2 EQs and stiff as poo poo faders but for some reason Bob Rifo uses one during Bloody Beetroots DJ sets) and Serato while hitting ctrl+shift+/ to switch timecode control. Already have several house parties booked and can't wait to tear it up!

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

artard posted:

So I just booked my first live dubstep gig, and first DJing gig in almost a decade. Two sets in the same night (1 hour and 2 hours). I'm nervous as gently caress. Does anyone have any advice or a pep talk for me? I DJ with a laptop and Traktor Kontrol S4 if it matters.

Confidence. I hate seeing DJs that look like deer in the headlights and stand completely still without even so much as a headbob. I personally like to interact with the crowd and smile at them or even dance with them.

Drink, but not too much. A shot for me and I'm good, gets rid of any nerves you may have.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

Alright, some more questions for you guys. As a DJ who's new to the scene, you usually get opening gigs and the like, which are a lot tougher than the main slots (since you just get to play awesome banger after banger). When you're opening, what kind of stuff do you play? To be more specific, if you're opening an electro house night, would you stick to all electro even if you're opening (I imagine not), or would you stick more with tech house, progressive house, and stuff along those lines, and slowly ramp yourself towards electro? I've been slowly getting very into tech house, and if that helps with opening gigs that would be drat awesome, I'm just not entirely sure what's appropriate and what's not.

I open with nu disco and transition into electro at the end of my set (last 20-25 min). I keep it capped at 128 bpm, since 128-132 is where the headliner/midnight slots play at. Read your crowd and see what sort of music they would like, e.g. there are usually a lot of hipsters where I am at so I will play Miami Horror and Bag Raiders remixes.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about getting on a label as a producer or remixer and how I would go about doing that. I've had one somewhat successful moombahton remix and I am entering a song for the PeaceTreaty competition, which I am really confident about. I don't expect to get on a label right away or even this year but I just want a general do's and don'ts and maybe some of your experiences. If this is OT you guys can email me at vegaswlg [at] gmail.com

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I learned to play songs together on Traktor with a Numark TotalControl, but I learned to mix music with vinyl+torq/serato. I would love to take a kontrol S4 and do dirty things to it though. That looks like a controller worthy of replacing my 1200s. Why not take both and combine a set of 1200s and an S4?

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Horrido posted:

So, i don't call myself a DJ, but last saturday night at a friend's party i got to play with ableton+mpd32 and that was serious fun, looking forward to get the apc40.

I was thinking, traktor works as plugin in ableton? you could have it reWired and do all the crazy poo poo with ableton while actually mixing with traktor (like beatmaching, a thing that i found hard to do in albeton)

You don't beatmatch in Ableton, you play clips/music/samples set to a master tempo and if they're processed beforehand they will play in time. I'm pretty sure Traktor is a standalone program and can't be rewired into anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, last time I used ableton was in 2008.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

88h88 posted:

I recall a while back someone was asking for tracks which transitioned from one style/tempo to another for ease of mixing between them.

Electro (131~bpm) - DnB (175bpm):
Shock One - Polygon (Dirtyphonics remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoF4zX24c7s

Are there anymore which transition like this at all? I recall the Tits & Clits remix of DJ Fresh's Gold Dust did similar going from Electro to dubstep, it'd just require a bit of tweaking and it's good to go.

Any tips for mixing between genres at all? Some BPMs just aren't going together so what are the options for doing this? Anyone here mix multiple BPMs/genres willing to throw some knowledge/examples at me?

Much appreciated!

Electro/stuff around 126-130 to dubstep is pretty easy, I just put the pitch slider to -8% or so if it is 70/140bpm, and then put it back at 0% after 4 measures (or when the song kicks in), all while filtering the electro/house track. You have to be good at adjusting it on the fly or else it sounds bad.
Like Dark Wind said just find songs that have breakdowns where it just a whitenoise sweep or something like that with no beat.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

TheWevel posted:

Make sure all of your faders are set to as sharp as possible, basically to the point where it's just an on/off switch and not a fader. That will help.

This, and sweeps or filters will make it not seem as abrupt. Practice what works well.

This Saturday I will be doing my first major gig in a while, and it's also great because it's a full on electro show and its encouraged to not play an endless stream of top 40 remixes. I will be provided a set of 1200s, CDJ 2000s and a DJM 800 :fap:.

I'm pretty excited to blow some people's faces off.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Nindoze posted:

I'm looking to grab a turntable for getting into some turntablism - but also my partner and I would want to use it for general listening. Stanton str8150 seems like the most likely option right now.

Wanted to check that the DJ style turntables still good for general listening - sound quality wise?

Of course. If you really want to you could even try buying a different cart specifically for listening but I'm sure any old cartridge will work.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
As a recently unemployed DJ, this looks like what I need. Just two filters, a mixing and cutting setting on the crossfader and full isolation EQ, no bullshit. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Pioneer DJM 250

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxs963Id28I

Opinions from the mixer connoisseurs? Pros and Cons vs other budget mixers such as the Xone:22, Numark X5?

E: $399 MSRP, ~$350 street price (http://www.planetdj.com/i--DJM250&?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Pioneer&utm_term=djm%20250).

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I'm going to give my pair of 1200s to my grandchildren with a serato SL8 box.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Sjoewe posted:

I fixed that for you, np :v:

You bet, hopefully I can have a nice little collection for my kids to mess with.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18167632

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the CDJs in this here video? I know he must be using hot cues in Serato but I don't understand how they are endlessly looping. I haven't messed with CDJs enough to know what that trick is. He still nudges them and adjusts the pitch but they're both looping in what seems a 4 bar loop and I'm just :psyduck:

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Are there any telltale signs on Pioneer CDJs that they are about to break? I don't want to drop 800 on a pair of 800mkIIs just to have the jogwheel go out or have the CD drive stop reading disks.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

TubeStank posted:

How do you guys typically sort your music? I've got 10 BPM increments as one section and genre as another, but it still is a bit hit or miss when doing stuff a bit on the fly. I run a Hercules 4-MX and Virtual DJ 7 Pro, if that helps.

Not sure how the library system works in VDJ but my tree looks something like this:
code:
All Music
 -Electro
  [sorted by bpm, least to highest]
  --Electro Classics
    [sorted by artist a-z]
  --Recent Releases/Promos
    [sorted by artist a-z]
 -Disco House
  [sorted by bpm, least to highest]
  --Disco House Classics
    [sorted by artist a-z]
  --Recent Releases/Promos
    [sorted by artist a-z]
 -Top 40 Remixes
  [sorted by bpm least to highest]
ect.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Gibson bought Stanton Group and now is in charge of Stanton DJ, Cerwin Vega, and KRK Systems.

"We are very excited to be joining the Gibson family," says Timothy Dorwart, CEO of the Stanton Group. "This partnership will allow our brands and core management team to continue our growth and momentum in the marketplace within our shared channel while the association with the iconic Gibson brand gives us the opportunity to quickly expand our customer base.

Moreover, we bring technical resources that will enhance the R&D capabilities of both companies."

http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1850

Good luck to Stanton. I've used a few of their needles and they have been solid and reliable.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Good all around cart is the Shure M44-7, some places sell them already mounted on a Technics headshell. These pick up a stronger signal in serato vs my Ortofon Nightclub S, in my experience.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Do you use a DVS or just plain CDs? If you use a DVS consider putting the DDM4000s MIDI capabilities to use. I used to own that mixer and when lugging around my 1200s was not practical, I would just fire up traktor and do some 3-4 deck mixing.

There is so much more to DJing than just knowing how to mix. And yes please post a mix.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Don't do headphoneless DJing, just don't.

Jesus christ, this. There is a venue I used to have a residency at and they didn't have any booth monitors, so you had these guest DJ scrubs trying to beatmatch using the sound in the lounge. Trainwrecks everywhere when they did that. Oh yeah, headphone-less too.

Pissed me off playing there too, hate mixing in my headphones.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
When you don't have any booth monitors everything you hear outside the booth is delayed. If you try to beatmatch with the delayed sound you're gonna be off by quite a bit. Having a monitor cuts down the audio delay to 1/256th of a second (at 1 meter), and when you're using a DVS too, reducing the latency between everything helps.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Blowdryer posted:

Total newbie to DJing I tried a little production but I didn't have the time, got Virtual DJ yesterday and have been messing around. Just put together this [not actually a] mix, I like it but I want to know what other people think.

http://soundcloud.com/bonhommerichard/mix-1-23-12

e; fixed \/\/\/

Effort post incoming so you better pay attention blowdryer:

I'm going to spare you any criticism because it wouldn't do you any good at this point, but I will echo 88h88 and say you should probably find some DJs you like and listen to their mixes. Stay away from people who tend to be sloppy.

The mixtape I listened to that made me step my mixing up to a more professional level was Peacetreaty's 2010 Control mixtape. The transitions gave me goosebumps and I wanted my mixtapes to sound like that. So I went and reconstructed their mix (keep in mind these guys use ableton live and can do complex poo poo on the fly) and after a few weeks I was able to remake their mix, and I applied everything I learned to my future mixes.

You can listen to Peacetreaty's Control mixtape here.

You can also listen to my totally cool indie/disco house mix and check out some of the transitions, I'm really proud of this one.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Blowdryer posted:

If I'm not trying to DJ seriously (aka, just play in my room/house/friends houses) but want to be able to have something besides my laptop to mix with, is this a bad investment?

http://www.numark.com/product/mixtrackpro

Numark makes great starter equipment, it comes with Serato DJ Intro which is cool, but I think Traktor LE would have been better. Either way it looks fun to mess with.

E: no it probably wouldn't be a bad investment as long as it's not over 250 bucks.

THAT DAMN DOG fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I'm getting pretty bored with DJing, so much that I put my technics up for sale to see who would bite. I got about half a dozen emails but noone actually came to pick them up.

Right now I'm just producing music but I would really love to just own a pair of CDJs and mix CDs without Serato. I even put in my ad that if you wanted to do a straight up trade for CDJ800MK2s, I'd be down to do that. I guess it's the challenge of knowing your music that much more, and instead of carrying a thousand remixes of a track I'd just carry the few good ones.

Also I think it's really cool to see people spin with CDs. You actually have to concentrate a bit and tell people to gently caress off instead of just lining poo poo up in Serato for 5 seconds making sure it's beatmatched then waiting around, pretending to fiddle with the knobs, to mix the track in.

I guess you could say that I hit a plateau, and I want to take things to the next level.