Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i was always under the assumption jakes fights were worked does he actually legit fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

i was always under the assumption jakes fights were worked does he actually legit fight

his fights are legitimate.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

his fights are legitimate.

i mean as much as any boxing fight is i assume lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kvlt! posted:

i mean as much as any boxing fight is i assume lol

Try to separate your cynicism from understanding the sport. There are plenty of fights that are fully contested, with both fighters trying and succeeding in scoring in and hurting each other, where the decision is extremely suspect. The shadiness of decisions sours the sport but cannot take away from the legitimacy of most in-ring action.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Being familiar with the ruleset is key for Jake Paul, who has bad gas but can pace himself well enough to stay out of trouble. He’s had enough fights at this point to know how to score without exerting too much. Diaz’s grinding style doesn’t work as well in boxing because of the breakups of extended clinching.

Interesting thanks. So is a huge favorite or is it more like 60-40 for Jake?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ulio posted:

Interesting thanks. So is a huge favorite or is it more like 60-40 for Jake?

pretty drat strong favorite i would think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If Nate comes in with a really good jab, and I can’t dismiss that out of hand though I’ve never seen him apply that, he could still win the fight. But this is another hand picked fight with name value for Jake to lose.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
nate has boxed with literal professionals regularly for over a decade. he knows how to box.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

iirc, prizefighting odds aren't necessarily a predictor on who is gonna win, it's a reflection on who is being bet on. the more people/money that bet on paul (or any favorite), the more enticing the odds will be for bettors on diaz (or any dog) because books genuinely want money bet on both fighters. the bigger the favorite, the less return on your bet. books basically want there to be as little risk to them as possible.

conor mcgregor's two most recent wins are against a now-retired cowboy cerrone and an NBA mascot. still, he's a betting favorite against michael chandler. do books think conor is gonna beat chandler? who knows, but they do know a bunch of mcgregor fans will put money on their boy, so in order to get to an even money proposition for them, chandler's gotta be the underdog. that said, favorite/dog betting favors the favorite 2 times out of 3 in UFC betting. poo poo just gets hinky when you've got a bunch of people flooding fan favorites like paul and mcgregor with bets

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

nate has boxed with literal professionals regularly for over a decade. he knows how to box.

He has had plenty of opportunities to box better in pouncing range in MMA, but he hasn’t. What he’s shown is what he’s got.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

He has had plenty of opportunities to box better in pouncing range in MMA, but he hasn’t. What he’s shown is what he’s got.

didn't he beat the poo poo out of a prime mcgregor? he's, like, known for having really effective if unorthodox boxing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

didn't he beat the poo poo out of a prime mcgregor? he's, like, known for having really effective if unorthodox boxing.

He outlasted McGregor for sure in the first one. He was slower and got caught in both fights. Wasn’t able to use his decent reach to keep Conor away from him. But had success the moment Conor slowed down. I think that flaw is gonna show up against Paul.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i think conor mcgregor is a better boxer and fighter than jake paul but who knows. i'm just speculating.

which is pointless, because i believe at least one of paul's fights was fixed, and that was against anderson silva. there was just a few seconds, i think he did it twice, where anderson silva used the footwork he was capable of and was at a right angle to paul but out of range. i swear to god if anderson was trying that fight wouldn't have lasted a minute.

so that's my conspiracy theory regarding the paul fights.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Andy got old.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUzQQMXf38I

Freddie is talking about Nick here but everything he is saying is applicable to Nate as well. The Diaz Bros may have been training boxing forever and their striking style is very fun to watch and won them a lot of MMA fights, but any boxer with even acceptable footwork and understanding of maintaining their distance should be a justifiable heavy favorite over a Diaz in a boxing match. It is prize fighting so anything can happen but if I were to bet on this fight I wouldn't put a hail mary down on Nate having developed solid footwork and one-punch power.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

iirc, prizefighting odds aren't necessarily a predictor on who is gonna win, it's a reflection on who is being bet on. the more people/money that bet on paul (or any favorite), the more enticing the odds will be for bettors on diaz (or any dog) because books genuinely want money bet on both fighters. the bigger the favorite, the less return on your bet. books basically want there to be as little risk to them as possible.

conor mcgregor's two most recent wins are against a now-retired cowboy cerrone and an NBA mascot. still, he's a betting favorite against michael chandler. do books think conor is gonna beat chandler? who knows, but they do know a bunch of mcgregor fans will put money on their boy, so in order to get to an even money proposition for them, chandler's gotta be the underdog. that said, favorite/dog betting favors the favorite 2 times out of 3 in UFC betting. poo poo just gets hinky when you've got a bunch of people flooding fan favorites like paul and mcgregor with bets

I mean that is what it is in most cases the market has the right favorite but it definitely seems like in these showmatch type situations it's harder to get a read and there is way more stupid money involved.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Hey in MMA is it against the rules to pick up your opponent by the feet and spin them around before throwing them like Mario throwing Bowser?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not really but its also not very practical

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Buck Turgidson posted:

Hey in MMA is it against the rules to pick up your opponent by the feet and spin them around before throwing them like Mario throwing Bowser?

2m36sec of this video might be of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwelV3fK0w0

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Buck Turgidson posted:

yes, so long as you don't grab them by their toes only. that'd be "small joint manipulation" and therefore illegal

also, if you're going to throw them, they have to have use of their hands to protect their head and neck and stuff if they want

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If you don't say "so long gay Bowser" the ref can take a point

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Way back in the day, I remember MMA being touted as being safer than boxing. Is this still the case? Or was I just duped into buying wolf factoids about the safety of fighters? Obviously the days of standing and banging through multiple fights a night is done with, but I'm just curious if anything is being done to address CTE and other health issues.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think the new wisdom that's intuitively sound is that you're getting the bulk of your damage from sparring and a much bigger volume of subconcussive strikes sustained in training, not in actual fights.

So very roughly, the time you spend training grappling and not hitting your head in camp could be saving you.
But how much people take head shots in training varies from gym to gym as much as or more than from sport to sport.

Trickortreat posted:

if anything is being done to address CTE and other health issues.

Not really. The UFC generally observes athletic commission actions to protect fighters (usually from their own desire to compete), but those are few and far between.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

the current science says that boxers still see more brain damage because they get hit in the head more than mma fighters, but it's a big "gotta keep observing" to learn more. also, a caveat: the study cited below is funded by the UFC, but the Cleveland Clinic is doing it, so they're probably not in the pocket of Big MMA

Las Vegas Review Journal story posted:

Researchers have looked at genetic and social factors that could increase risk, as well as at gender. Women are faring better in the study, and researchers will be publishing their findings on genetics, said Dr. Charles Bernick, the study’s founder and primary investigator.

The most significant risk factor, however, is exposure to head injury.

“In most everything we look at, the MMA fighters do better,” experiencing fewer changes in their brains and in cognitive tests, Bernick said. As for the boxers, “the usual explanation is they just get hit in the head more.”

The longer the brains of the athletes can be studied, the more meaningful the findings, which makes Las Vegas uniquely suited for the study, one researcher said.

“In terms of fighting sports, we have a lot of retired boxers, we have a lot of retired MMA folks, and it gives us a great setting and opportunity to do this study here,” said Dr. Aaron Ritter, the study’s co-primary investigator.

“We’re going to be able to follow patients going forward, after they’ve transitioned from being active to retired,” Ritter said.

UFC wants the study’s findings to become a “fundamental part of the regulation of combat sports,” Epstein said.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/mma-fighters-fare-better-than-boxers-in-brain-study-2244785/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's good they're still studying it, but we have known for a long rear end time that repeated sub / fully concussive knocks to the head are real bad for you and if you're a young athlete and not being guided by educated trainers to become proficient in fighting while minimising trauma then you probably should find a new gym if you want to do this for a career. you see all the boxing trainers using pool noodles and poo poo during slipping / combo drills.

it's a straight up fact that you need to get hit in the head a bunch and learn how to deal with it if you want to be good in an actual fight. but i continued taking unnecessary knocks in training for about a decade after i knew what it felt like to get hit real hard a bunch. that sort of idiocy should not be going on in modern gyms and i hope people start taking it more seriously.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can you point me towards an event or video that your Av is from? I've always wondered what made everyone freak out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shard posted:

Can you point me towards an event or video that your Av is from? I've always wondered what made everyone freak out.

lol it was the ufc event not too long ago where leon edwards spent 4.5 rounds getting the poo poo beaten out of him by kamaru usman before landing the mother of all head kicks, killing him. as the fourth round ended i literally said what is in red before being as wrong as it is possible to be. sorry i'd try and use the search function but i have a trauma like aversion to it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

lol it was the ufc event not too long ago where leon edwards spent 4.5 rounds getting the poo poo beaten out of him by kamaru usman before landing the mother of all head kicks, killing him. as the fourth round ended i literally said what is in red before being as wrong as it is possible to be. sorry i'd try and use the search function but i have a trauma like aversion to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_9G6qiKO5U

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah regarding striking I basically fell out of love with it as I got older because I set the personal rule of "if sparring gives me a headache it's too hard" and I've found that I really can't keep my skills up that way; any time I dip back into sparring I don't have any sense of timing or range.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

time for a name change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have a half-finished draft for a new Q&A thread altogether that I've kept having to periodically scrap and start over because when I first started writing it Eagle FC was a big exciting international promotion and by god I'll finish it one day