Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

It should have been
10-9 Alistair,
10-8 Alistair,
10-8 Remy.

Wrestlehut, don't trust a man with Overeem avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fatherdog posted:

If K-1 is gonna decide that knockdown vs Remy didn't count because he was kicking at the time, then Buakaw should have another win vs Masato and another win vs Kraus.

do tell

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

Word, you might not think its a knockdown, and thats fine. The issue there is that Kakuda, and the rest of the K1 Refs regularly reward knockdowns for exactly the same kind of blows on a regular basis.

Even if the knockdown didn't count. It should have been 10-9 the first two rounds for Alistair, taking the fight to extended rounds.

im with you that kakuda is going to hell for an abundance of reasons, but that fight was a bad example imo. i have the 2nd round 10-10, but thats beside the point.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
glad we're on the same page then

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
boxing style protectors are probably outlawed, but who would want to wear those on the ground anyway?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Foul Fowl posted:

To all the boxing people: Is there a consensual #1 American heavyweight right now? I know of the Klitschkos and David Haye but I've heard literally nothing about any American heavyweight boxers.

fat eddie chambers after getting ktfo

fake edit: im serious

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fatherdog posted:

1) "consensus #1" is a commonly used phrase in combat sports
2) "consensual" is an adjective that means "by mutual consent", not "by consensus" which is what he was trying to express
3) Shut up mobn

*dead* @ this being in the Q&A thread

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The last TUF reminded me to ask a thing: How come when two equally weak/mediocre wrestlers fight and one has double underhooks against the cage we hardly ever see bear hug takedowns...Fitch pulls this off a lot and he's not an elite wrestler.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol fitch nice troll

(name cain next time)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
they do worse

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
where's a rulon gif

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
is roger in the cool gracie group with the renzos of this world or is he a bit of a dick/annoying like most of them?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
cool, always liked his minimalist approach in terms of technique and the plain gi, but you never know (i once believed rogan that anderson was "so deep into this bushido spirit" and that randy was a classy guy)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
who knows he might be right about the fight he watched

i think the typical judging guideline is "disregard punches unless they inflict clear damage". some judges may need a knockdown for that

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlindSite posted:

I didn't go to an exhibition I went to a card of about 6 fights, I've still got the flyer and I've got stamps in my passport I'm happy to take photos of if you think I'm full of poo poo. I can even tell you the number of the seat I sat in.

i'm not convinced

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlindSite posted:

The other thing to keep in mind too is that boxing gloves are apparently worse than 4oz ones when it comes to brain damage.

ehhhh

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

3 primary reasons:

1) Many mma fighters have very rudimentary standup, good head movement is a very advanced skill that most guys just don't have.

2) With the inclusion of knees/kicks, you might weave your way directly into a nasty shin or kneecap to the dome. If you watch Muay thai or kickboxing, you will see less head movement for this reason. Also, if you include takedowns, then it gets even more risky because you have to worry about someone tripping you up or yanking you around.

3) So much poo poo can happen in MMA it's hard to maintain the focus required for good movement. This kind of goes back to the other points. 1: because the better you are the easier it is, and 2 because if you are watching for takedowns and clinches, and kicks, you really can't risk getting too fancy up top.

As fighters get more well rounded, we'll probably see more slick poo poo but I doubt anyone will ever be moving like Ali or slipping like Tyson, MMA just doesn't work that way.

slipping punches like tyson is retarded in mma, but slipping straights and rolling hooks is a useful, but very advanced kickboxing skill that almost no mma fighter can pull off under pressure for the reasons mentioned. aldo is probably the best high profile technical striker in mma with Gegard and overeem. machida and shogun don't do it and anderson wouldn't be doing dumb matrix moves if he was getting kicked or chased by a sonnen

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Shogun tries to block strikes with his high guard and Machida uses a lot of parries and footwork to dodge punches. Silva uses a lot of exagerated bobs and weaves.
Just some examples of different types of defenses GSFs use.

from bad to worse?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
moving like pernell is retarded in a kickboxing match even roach says so ffs.

anderson getting away with foolishness doesn't mean anyone should replicate it.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kanthulhu posted:

You guys think Anderson's dodges are bad? I thought they were the hottest poo poo ever.

I think Forrest Griffin would disagree that Silva's head movement is bad.

hth

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
'not bad as in hottest poo poo ever' was used to describe anderson's head movement following the question 'why we don't see more good head movement like aldo's/ali's in mma'.

i'd be more interested in your avatar's backstory than another pedantic shitpost.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
marcelo garcia isn't good enough to step into a cage (roger is)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
barbarian boetsch

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gif of shogun doing that jumping spinning kick and almost getting countered by the most loaded up right hand of all time

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hahaha

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
only in america

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that's a pretty dumb name, left straight happens when an orthodox fighter fires a left from the southpaw stance following a right roundhouse. it's just a strong jab, some boxers like miguel cotto love that punch.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

workinonit posted:

I've never really seen any non-UFC MMA, so if they haven't competed there, I pretty much have never heard of them. So then, who's the best current non-UFC fighters in each division, and how would they fare in the UFC?

fedor; would get mexicuted

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Eddie Alvarez spent so much time shaping his eyebrows that the one true God Muhammad (SAW) took away his hair, which goes to show that ultimate fighting outside of the UFC isn't As Real As It Gets

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
its a great base for mma

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My understanding was that soccer is the best base for MMA.

it took brock 4 fights to become ufc champion

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dangersim posted:

There isnt really a good reason for them to be illegal, and it could make side control and north/south alot more interesting

this

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
stomps are the only pride rules thing that should remain banned. add the other stuff and allow 12->6 elbows.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't remember too many boring Hendo fights, but Fedor-Arona is the only Rings fight I've seen.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
not caring about gay marriage should be the most normal thing in the world for heterosexuals

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Best Friends posted:

Would it really be necessary to pay pro wrestlers to not try to beat Crocop? Was Crocop seriously that bad in the pride era? That is not a rhetorical question, I'm relatively new to this sport and don't know beans about what fighters were like during Pride. Or does Crocop just keep coming up in these examples as a generic stand in name for some reason?

guys like cro cop and wanderlei clearly have padded records, but there's no point in working those fights unless you want to protect the poor pro wrestler's health (they didn't). that's just a dumb thing chael started saying because that idiot pro wrestler friend of his probably still thinks he's a real fighter and wants to save face.

in the same interview chael tells rogan about how his costume designer friends in hollywood think the bigfoot video is legit, he's pretty gullible.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
either Aldo, Anderson or Jones

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlindSite posted:

Jones is good at a lot of things, he does not have technically proficient muay thai

Nobody in the UFC uses traditional muay thai techniques more effectively than him. There are still better "strikers" in MMA (untill he passes them in like a year), but that wasn't the question.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bundt Cake posted:

Actually the question was who has the best muay thai in mma, and to make your lovely answer of Jones seem less like bullshit you have to extrapolate that out to "nobody in the ufc uses traditional muay thai techniques more effectively", which is rear end covering bullshit to protect you from the fact you aren't really sure if any awesome muay thai guys are working it out in lesser organizations and also you throw the word effectively in there so that him winning stand up exchanges in MMA somehow backs up the idea he has the best muay thai

but you're actually just trolling so gently caress off with this dumb poo poo please

ps the best Muay Thai fighter in mma probably wouldn't get outboxed by a girl http://www.middleeasy.com/index.php...4:organizations

Who else can claim to have the best "insert attribute" in MMA but someone who's proven it in the premier organization? Ludwig has the best credentials but it only works when he's fighting someone like Amir Sodallah. Jones has outstruck 4 former champions using mostly traditional MT techniques after only 2 years of real training! :mcnabb:

NovemberMike posted:

What traditional Muay Thai techniques does Jones use? Keep in mind that Thailand doesn't have any kind of monopoly on things like throwing elbows or sticking your arm out so short people can't punch you. He's a good unorthodox striker, but he isn't using the Thai Clinch or really making Thai style kicks IIRC.

Which other martial art do you associate with standing elbows, strikes/throws from a double collar tie position & knee stomps? Those kicks he kept whacking into Rashad's midsection were textbook Thai style :confused:

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NovemberMike posted:

What do you mean by "Muay Thai"? Do you consider Dutch Kickboxing to be Muay Thai?

Dutch Kickboxing doesn't put an emphasis on elbows & clinching in most cases. I don't think any of the major kickboxing gyms over in Holland offers seperate clinching classes.

BlindSite posted:

That kind of side kicking to the knee he does and that front on heel kick to the knee if more of a korean or kyokushin thing than it is a Muay Thai thing.

How is it less of a Muay Thai thing if it's part of the rules & used in real fights (which don't exist in "Korean" btw)?

It's one thing to seriously debate whether he's the best at it (it's an impossible, stupid debate), but his standup is clearly very Muay Thai focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think anyone will contest that this is MMA, you were saying that his standup style more closely resembles Dutch kickboxing than traditional Muay Thai, which is silly.