Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Burrito posted:

All I want to see in MMA is submissions. Just constant, awesome submissions.

Who should I look out for with that?

Shinya Aoki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXL9dIHqQJk

This is the Undertakers special move i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Jack Anderson posted:

I casually watch UFC so I know a few fighters, but feel like asking anyway, who are some really good fighters in UFC and MMA in general?
Dominick Cruz has one of the weirdest styles he moves more than anybody else here is a Highlight of him. Strangely it features no Nu Metal music. I don't know what's up with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4JYD3oxlUg

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Oh Em Gee posted:

in UFC 1 it was literally no rules, no time limit and it made for very...very boring fighting.

That was mainly due to lovely fighters.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Oh Em Gee posted:

IIRC Tank Abbot knocked out a guy and openly mocked him while he seized the gently caress up from being actually punched in the face.

By todays standards Tank is a really lovely fighter though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

During a WCW wrestling pay per view he (unplanned) pulled a knife on a guy and nearly stabbed him in the throat with it as well.

Was it unplanned or was it "unplanned"? Cause pulling a knife on a dude is kind of illegal...

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Skinty McEdger posted:

He asked the booker if he could pull a weapon at the end of his match. Assuming that Tank meant a chair the booker agreed.

How are such details known? Are they from background sources or speculation or what? Was Tank at least fired directly after the incident?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Some dudes (CB Dollaway iirc) fake-tap somewhere where the ref doesn't see it but the other fighter feels it, so if the one doing the submitting then lets go they keep fighting.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If Jason High can have middleeasy.com on his shorts then you can have punchsport pagoda on them.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I remember something about a platform swimming in water with no walls and you could fall down, I think they use that in san shou but i kind of remember some russian b-league also having something similar.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
On the other hand dudes who know they are leading 20-18 might play it safe.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

fatherdog posted:

10-8 rounds are just as likely to produce a draw as 10-10 rounds.
If you got two fighters and one dominates the other in a round and gets a 10-8 then it's improbable that the other gets(or previewsly got) the two others 9-10. On the other hand 10-10 is an indication that the fighters are somewhat evenly matched and a 10-9 and a 9-10 round are plausible.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Lone Goat posted:

It was a dumb argument and 10-8s can also happen in the last round.

It is less probable for me to dominate a dude 10-8 after just having been outworked with two 9-10.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Surprisingly sometimes improbable things happen.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
No the point was wether 10-10 or 10-8 are more likely to result in draws.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
He means Sims vs Sylvia
http://mmajunkie.com/news/17969/ohio-commission-turns-down-wes-sims-vs-tim-sylva-at-adrenaline-mma-iv.mma

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If enough fighters (especially big names) joined the union sure it would work.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

John Blaster posted:

Submissions 101 videos on youtube are based out of 10th planet, right? They're almost always in gis and they frequently demonstrate gi only moves. Eddie Bravo's class is what's no-gi at 10th planet.

Just what i've deduced.

I think the sub101 dude just paid bravo a load of cash for the endorsment and doesnt actually have that much to do with tenth planet.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Chuck Lidell has been terrible for the sport of MMA

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Sylvia literally pooped his pants during a fight. He also bragged about wearing his champ belt during sex.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
No it's just affirmative action aka reverse racism

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yes they are.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

OH WORD SON posted:

thats called a 'single leg' takedown, actually.

high crotch single, the "power clutch" refers to the hand position when doing this i think

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Sumo wrestlers are allowed to grab eachothers clothing :)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Haraksha posted:

Chute Box fighters (such as Wanderlei Silva and Big Nog).

The Nogs were never in Chute Boxe, they were with BTT

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Well not just the number of wins/losses, but obviously also who your opponents were, the profile of the fights, if you were dominated for 3 rounds or lost a controversial split decision, the potential the company sees in you, your marketability, especially if you are from a market the company wants to tap, your actions outside the ring, if you put asses in seats, the color of your hair, if dana likes your attitude, if you want to be a loving fighter, if you have a grudge match they can sell,

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 21, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
You misspelled wrestling

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Actually defensive wrestling is probably a really good skill to have "on the streets" :waycool:

additional true martial arts techniques you failed to mention:

-a gun

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

mobn posted:

Defensive wrestling is a something that would be very useful in tight or enclosed spaces where you can't escape, but on the street and outdoors you should be far away before the guy has an opportunity to try to tackle you.

Yes that is good street fighting advice, you should be far away from where fighting is happening.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
russian_waterpark_brawl.flv

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I literally don't see how mechanically his fat guts and legs make any difference to the force of the punch.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
mobn this is your time to shine, take it away buddy

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
no. please make a free body diagram for me

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah but it's not like Werdum wanted to stand up.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

The Sphinxster posted:

I have a dumb fight terminology question-- I see the term "arm punch" used a little bit. It seems to be a disparaging term.

I am guessing it is like the difference between throwing a ball with just your arm or throwing with proper rotation of shoulders, hips and shifting weight and so forth. Is that about right?

Yeah

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
British double

American double

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

vs.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Ùh what about Pat Barry, Genki Sudo, Tom Lawlor, etc etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
plus the samurai spirit those orientals have would never allow them to live with the shame of taking a dive