Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
That's how I view it, as an instance where comic to film translation is done in a very true to source manner without making the usual concessions that film usually demands. It's not as realistic or restrained as the Jane version, but it's a lot more fun.

I'd put in the same class as the Burton Batman movies or even Dick Tracy, whereas I guess a lot of you guys see it more like the Schumacher Batmans or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
I think the best Punisher depiction outside of comics was the game they made for PS2 around the time the Jane Punisher came out. It had everything I wanted from a Punisher story, and you could kill someone with a rhino.

With the three movies they have made... Each one had parts I loved and parts I hated, I wouldn't think that Frank's story would be so hard to get right.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No movie will ever be as incredible as the Dolph Lundgren version.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

E the Shaggy posted:

They made Jigsaw into Mean Machine from Judge Dredd?

Kind of. Pat Mills was co-writing a lot of that book, and Pat Mills wrote a lot of Judge Dredd and Mean Machine. And Marshal Law, for Epic.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

My Amazon order of The List and Shadowlands just shipped. Time for some regular universe, not as entertaining Punisher action. The Franken-Castle hardcover was entertaining but stupid as hell. I have not been much of a fan of the non-Max Punisher stories, all through the Civil War and Dark Reign hardcovers. The sketchy art for the Jigsaw sections didn't help, same with changing it so that apparently everyone in the bar the Punisher torched didn't actually die. Bullshit

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

RevBabyKiller posted:

My Amazon order of The List and Shadowlands just shipped. Time for some regular universe, not as entertaining Punisher action. The Franken-Castle hardcover was entertaining but stupid as hell. I have not been much of a fan of the non-Max Punisher stories, all through the Civil War and Dark Reign hardcovers. The sketchy art for the Jigsaw sections didn't help, same with changing it so that apparently everyone in the bar the Punisher torched didn't actually die. Bullshit

That's a big problem with Frank Castler in the Marvel Universe; the super villains he kills don't stay dead because other writers want to use them. I like the idea of Frank killing villains the other heroes won't, but I know that in the long run, somebody (Dan Slott) will want to use characters like the Shocker again.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

So who is the big bad of the Punisher universe?

Has any character ever surpassed the Barracuda?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Manwithastick posted:

The MAX universe? Those behind-the-scenes generals, I would imagine. Now that they're dead and Aaron has taken over, it's Wilson Fisk.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Manwithastick posted:

drat shame about Barracuda, too. Probably the most interesting villain to enter Marvel in a while.

Barracuda and Hemo would've been a good title, Ennis let that opportunity slip.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

Mister Roboto posted:

drat shame about Barracuda, too. Probably the most interesting villain to enter Marvel in a while.

Barracuda and Hemo would've been a good title, Ennis let that opportunity slip.

I don't think so. I loved Barracuda as a villian, but I was glad that Ennis had the balls to kill him off before he became overused. I would have hated to see Barracuda end up like Venom after he first appeared in the 616. Plus, given Frank and Barracuda's personalities, one of them HAD to die.

Edit: I still agree with the outcome of the arc Barracuda died in, but I just reread the Barracuda miniseries and started to miss the gently caress out of that character. Too bad they can't do another mini prequel from a time before he ever ran into Frank.

Whargoul fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 27, 2011

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Despite the movie's problems, the Thomas Jane Punisher flick did have one fantastic theme song.

Of course, we know what Frank's REAL theme song would be.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Gavok posted:

Despite the movie's problems, the Thomas Jane Punisher flick did have one fantastic theme song.

Of course, we know what Frank's REAL theme song would be.

The last-gen game has a pretty good theme too. That game was great.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
You could dual wield M60's in that game.

That's all you really need to know.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Sion posted:

You could dual wield M60's in that game.

That's all you really need to know.

Aside from one lovely boss fight with The Russian which always served to ruin my high-scores, that game was probably the best comic games-to-character fit until Arkham Asylum came out. Huge range of weapons, a lot of blood, countless nasty executions and torture scenes, some deeply unpleasant villains, and even PTSD flashbacks of Vietnam and his family now and then. Volition really knocked it out of the park.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I love the headlines on the level select screen. "Punisher punches polar bear, makes children cry."

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gassire posted:

I love the headlines on the level select screen. "Punisher punches polar bear, makes children cry."

Ironically, that might be one thing that WOULD get to Frank, as even though he's a mechanical killer, children seem to bring out his buried soft side.

My favorite part of Ennis' series is when Frank is completely beaten by the Mongolian, an even faster and more effective killer. And just as Frank's passing out, the bad guy makes a fatal mistake and hits a little girl...

Brings a tear to my eye, it does, especially when Frank proceeds to beat him to death with his leg.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Mister Roboto posted:

Ironically, that might be one thing that WOULD get to Frank, as even though he's a mechanical killer, children seem to bring out his buried soft side.

My favorite part of Ennis' series is when Frank is completely beaten by the Mongolian, an even faster and more effective killer. And just as Frank's passing out, the bad guy makes a fatal mistake and hits a little girl...

Brings a tear to my eye, it does, especially when Frank proceeds to beat him to death with his leg.

Didn't beat him to death with his leg, he grabbed the little guy by the leg and slammed him against metal furniture till his head was pulped and the leg was nearly detached. It was awsome.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Professor Doctor posted:

Didn't beat him to death with his leg, he grabbed the little guy by the leg and slammed him against metal furniture till his head was pulped and the leg was nearly detached. It was awsome.

Well, yes, that's what I meant. There was an unsaid "with his leg [in his hands]".

There were so many awesome moments in the Punisher comics; they could have literally just copied them in dialogue and pacing/camera shots and made an awesome film, and yet they still blew it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChuckDHead posted:

Aside from one lovely boss fight with The Russian which always served to ruin my high-scores, that game was probably the best comic games-to-character fit until Arkham Asylum came out. Huge range of weapons, a lot of blood, countless nasty executions and torture scenes, some deeply unpleasant villains, and even PTSD flashbacks of Vietnam and his family now and then. Volition really knocked it out of the park.

The torture scenes was "censored" though. If you killed someone during torture it would show the kill in blurry black and white and you would lose points. Which was bullshit, Frank wouldn't think it was negative if some villain died during torture.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Alhazred posted:

The torture scenes was "censored" though. If you killed someone during torture it would show the kill in blurry black and white and you would lose points. Which was bullshit, Frank wouldn't think it was negative if some villain died during torture.

That was a bit poo poo. Though it's perfectly ok to shoot them afterwards.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that. We got even more censorship in the PAL version,, where instead of a black and white kill animation, the camera would jerk away at the moment the criminal was shoved into the grinder/woodchipper/piranha tank/toilet/ceiling fan/industrial laser, in a sort of "you can't see this" way. Oddly, it was strangely effective at conveying that something incredibly nasty was going on...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Curiously enough the special kills wasn't censored.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mister Roboto posted:

Wait wait wait whoa what was this from?

Marvel Knights after Welcome Back Frank or what?

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that. We got even more censorship in the PAL version,, where instead of a black and white kill animation, the camera would jerk away at the moment the criminal was shoved into the grinder/woodchipper/piranha tank/toilet/ceiling fan/industrial laser, in a sort of "you can't see this" way. Oddly, it was strangely effective at conveying that something incredibly nasty was going on...

What you imagine is almost always worse than what someone is willing to show. Hitchcock 101.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Punisher Max: Mother Russia Part 6 I believe

Off the top of my head and prob wrong - volume 5 issue 6 or 18?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

First, let me say there was a mod on the PC version that took the censorship out. You can find videos on youtube.

Now, the whole losing points thing. The story behind that, as I have heard it a few times, is this: When first taken to the ESRB, there was no points system in the game at all. It got an AO rating due to the kills. They censored the torture scenes, but still an AO. They put in a point system, and had it deduct points from you for killing people in the interrogations: M.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

It makes sense thematically because the idea is to get information before you kill them, and in the torture sequences if they die you don't the info. Killing them after successful interrogation doesn't lose points because they've given up the info, but it's also way less cinematic

The game was spectacular, and I'd still play through it even know if the unlockable and upgrade elements to it were cumulative. AS it is you can't unlock more stuff unless you beat your previous score on a level, which quickly becomes impossible. If only they'd push out a patch that removes that limitation I'd be all over it, I had initially dreamed of playing through it until I had unlocked and maxed out everything possible to turn the Punisher into a loving Juggernaut

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
d

The Extrapolator fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 30, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yc-vm9BIA4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPi-tnJMscc&feature=related

You just know that music would have been suitable, even if it was in-game. :v:

I'm one of the people who did prefer the censored executions though. The voice acting really sold the pain they were going through, and not seeing it... :ohdear:

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

I didn't get the point of it. Not that I didn't understand the story, just it wasn't really that interesting and the villain was one of the most mediocre in recent memory. Seemed like an exercise in trotting out tired characters from the Welcome Back Frank days that are made all the more weak by the huge leaps forward Ennis has taken since those days with Max

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

RevBabyKiller posted:

I didn't get the point of it. Not that I didn't understand the story, just it wasn't really that interesting and the villain was one of the most mediocre in recent memory. Seemed like an exercise in trotting out tired characters from the Welcome Back Frank days that are made all the more weak by the huge leaps forward Ennis has taken since those days with Max

The thing about it was that Ennis started to write Max in 2004 and the game came out early 2005. Ennis helped pen the story for the game and probably did it in early 2004, late 2003 before he'd really gotten a decent head of steam up on the max series.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

I was responding to the question about the Punisher War Zone miniseries. My mistake for not quoting the question

jimpickens
Feb 17, 2011
The same reason why their was never a Mack Bolan Movie the current pc state in Hollywood wouldn't do him justice.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Manwithastick posted:

Punisher Max: Mother Russia Part 6 I believe

Off the top of my head and prob wrong - volume 5 issue 6 or 18?

It's probably part 5, which would be 17. For some reason I think there's another issue after the fight.

I also forgot about the Mongolian being in that arc though, so take it with a grain of salt.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dickeye posted:

What you imagine is almost always worse than what someone is willing to show. Hitchcock 101.
Especially when it has PS2/Xbox original graphics.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The censorship was due to the game getting an AO rating originally. They had a tremendous amount of blood and guts and grisly deaths everywhere, but they had to cut a ton of stuff, add the points system and make it detract points when you killed them in interrogations, etc, just to get it down to M.

And The Ressurection of Ma Gnucci is really underwhelming. It's like The Sequel that Didn't Need To Exist. It's got Soap and the female cop and The Punisher and Ma Gnucci and it's nothing like Welcome Back Frank's quality.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sigma-X posted:

And The Ressurection of Ma Gnucci is really underwhelming. It's like The Sequel that Didn't Need To Exist. It's got Soap and the female cop and The Punisher and Ma Gnucci and it's nothing like Welcome Back Frank's quality.

Yeah, it felt like Ennis was phoning that one in near the end. It feels like an idea he had but never fleshed out in the series proper, but was forced by circumstance or choice to use it.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it felt like Ennis was phoning that one in near the end. It feels like an idea he had but never fleshed out in the series proper, but was forced by circumstance or choice to use it.

Ennis seems to like providing closure for his characters, one way or another. That might explain war Zone -- he had an idea to give his villains from the dark-humor Punisher series a last hurrah, so he took it. I would agree it was underwhelming, but revisiting the sort-of-funny Punisher was still fun for me.

My advice to the guy considering buying War Zone: Think back to the first Ennis Punisher series, where the situations are played for laughs -- dark and bloody laughs, but still laughs. Did you like it? Did you like the characters? If so, buy it. If you didn't like it, or didn't read it, then War Zone's probably not worth your time and money.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I still think Ennis should've kept Barracuda alive for at least one more arc, protecting his weak lil' buddy hemo. The contrast of the two of them was just so darkly funny.

I didn't like Long Cold Dark much at all. I realize this sounds like a very strange complaint, but it felt gratuitous. Barracuda wasn't his jovial-but-clever-gangsta self, he felt more like the Juggernaut. It also had a writing cliche that really bothered me: The villain/hero captures the other, and doesn't non-fatally disable them to prevent their inevitable escape. I.e. slice off Cuda's other hand's fingers, or blind his other eye, slice his legs, SOMEThing that Frank has learned over the past 50 issues. I mean, Rawlins escaped with one eye, you'd think Frank would know better. The rushed revelations about Barracuda's abusive childhood also seemed out of left field and unnecessary.

:( I really wanted to like it, the Barracuda mini was decently entertaining.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's a lot of one-liners. You almost expect him to say "let of some steam Bennet" after a while.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Some of the one-liners for executions are rather :saddowns:.

"I'm gonna be a daddy! :gonk:"
"No, you're not. :stare:"

• Locked thread