Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In The Blood is a direct follow up to his last 616 series, so you'll be kind of lost if you start there.

Also, I'll believe MAX 10 is coming out when I have it in my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There are people like you, and others, who liked Frankencastle (it wasn't my cup of tea, personally) but I don't remember anyone ever defending Demon Hunter Frank. It's very possible that this is because during the whole Frankencastle thing, there was another more traditional Punisher book going on at the same time, so people could just ignore the other title till the whole thing wrapped up, which is what I did. During Demon Hunter Frank though, that was it, that was all the Punisher.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really liked Finn Cooley. Other than that, I can live without the rest of the Kitchen Irish arc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baggot posted:

I enjoyed Born, but liked The Tyger one-shot as a Punisher origin story much, much better. Aside from sidestepping the whole "deal with the devil" bit (which never sat well with me), it gives Frank some early psychological shaping as a young child, so you can kind of understand how someone could end up with his kind of mentality/attitude towards criminals. I also think the last few pages are incredibly awesome.

I'd just like to say that Ennis himself says in the back of the Born hardcover that it's not the devil that Frank is dealing with, but Death.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

Which would you say is the better one shot?

The Cell or The End?

I personally prefer The End, but they're both really good. I would actually suggest reading all of the Ennis stuff in order, starting with Tyger, going to Born, then The Cell, then Marvel Knights, then MAX, then The End. That could have been all of the Punisher stuff ever published and it would have been an almost completely cohesive story, from beginning to end. The only thing missing would have been the actual origin.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

As I read Welcome Back, Frank, for the first time, I realize what my favorite thing about Ennis is: His insistence on using the same barman (who may or may not be Cassidy!) whenever he can. Seriously, the dude, who writes foul words in the foam in guinness when asked for a shamrock, shows up at least here and in The Boys, and now I'm tempted to go hunting for other appearances.

e: He changes the name in Punisher, though. Whatever. Same drat character.

I always kind of saw the barman as a self insert for Ennis, or possibly based off someone he knows.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baggot posted:

That doesn't really make it any better to me. :p Still kind of goofy supernatural, while I prefer Punisher more relatively grounded and kept separate from the rest of the regular Marvel universe.

I like The Cell way better than The End. Art complaints aside, The End also felt kind of hackneyed and forced, what with the ridiculously unsubtle post-apocalyptic setting with the eeeeevil human elite, which really didn't leave Frank with any kind of moral conflict (none of the survivors are "innocent", or children, or whatever).

The Cell to me is a perfect enough ending to the story of Frank Castle as a character. (It always felt to me like this story takes place toward or at the end of his "career," like it was his last final mission. It's been a while since I read it though so I don't recall if this is explicitly stated in the story or not.)

It actually takes place right at the beginning of his career. It's his first real mission, other than the events of Year One. At least that's the impression I got from it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Baggot posted:

This doesn't make sense because he turns himself in to prison at the beginning of the story. What would he be turning himself in for, and why would he already be infamous, if he hadn't been killing criminals for years previously?

He would be infamous and turning himself in for what happened in Year One, where he murdered an entire crime family. Also, getting the guys responsible for his families deaths seems like the first thing he would do, to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Can they do Kitchen Irish since that Black Irish Guy got iced in the movie version of War Zone? I hope so because that story was pretty great, right down to the Irish Bomber whose face is barely being held on. That said, we need more dynamic Punisher villains. A lot of good ones end up being killed off way too fast.

First off, if you think a new Punisher movie will be at all related to that massive flop War Zone, you're crazy. Second, if you think they're going to do a new Punisher movie before they absolutely have to in order to keep the rights to the character, you're also insane.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You can't tell so much in those panels, but in the first issue of Punisher 2099, he was totally Sylvester Stallone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Yeah well if it gets back on track next month I won't mind too much.

Is the tease for next month/arc any good?

It ends on a pretty good cliffhanger, and we've got at least one more issue of the Bullseye arc left.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Punisher War Zone was a lame-o movie after the Jane one.

Also I think you mean IRA, not NRA.

War Zone was a piece of poo poo even compared to literal pieces of poo poo. Exploding rubber heads, neon lights all up in Franks throwback to the Lundgren movie sewer lair like it was Batman & Robin, ruining characters like Magginty, Pitsy, and Ink...everything about it was a mess. Everything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jane's Punisher was an origin story, and yeah, he wasn't the Punisher till literally the last scene in the movie. But almost all of it was ripped from either Welcome Back, Frank or Year One. And blame the lack of action scenes on the budget, which didn't allow them enough money to do nearly the amount they wanted to in that area.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

When you really get down to it though, does the Punisher need a movie to explain his origin? He's the Punisher, he Punishes people. I think you could make a cerebral movie that involves what psychologically pushes the Punisher, while keeping the violence up to Punisher Max levels.

Yes, you do. We may all know his origin and have seen it done over and over again, but the general public who doesn't know who or what a "Punisher" is should be given the origin. Also, what pisses me off most about War Zone is that the War Journal script that was the follow up to the Jane movie never got made. It had some of the same elements that later went into War Zone (the old Don's birthday party, Jigsaw being a combination of Jigsaw and Nicky Cavella, Pitsy and Ink, etc) but did them in a serious, brutal, much more true to the source material way. It also had the subplot of the Punisher copycats from Welcome Back, Frank, reduced down to just The Holy, which would have been loving awesome.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

It doesn't even explain what he does, it takes the character's actions in a new and kinda more interesting direction.

The director said straight out "I didn't want him to just kill people. That's not punishment. That's execution. So I had him actually punish Saint, by making him turn his own life into a hell."

That's loving cool. That's punishment.

"I made you kill your wife. I made you kill your best friend. And now, I'm going to kill you."

You forgot the best part of that moment, which is immediately before it where Saint yells "You killed me son!" and then we hear a scream and explosion from inside the office and Frank's reply is simply "Both of them."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Microchip in a movie is not something that ever needed to be done, regardless of the actor.

The one scene I'll give credit to is the one with Jigsaw making his huge speech in front of the flag. If the rest of the movie had been that insane, it would have at least been entertaining in a Crank kind of way. As it is, it's just out of place though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

redbackground posted:

That was the only good part. War Zone is easily the more entertaining film, high fives to Trollologist all around. I love Tom Jane and all, but give me more Ray Stevenson as Frank and more missile launchers fired at jerks. So, so many bad guys got shot the hell up in that movie, it was right out of MAX.

If all you've gotten from MAX is "he kills a bunch of dudes!" I don't know what to say.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think the character would work much better in a TV series than in a movie, to tell you the truth. Imagine something akin to the current Walking Dead series, just adapting Ennis' MAX stories, on HBO or Showtime.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You don't think War Zone is over the top? The whole thing is insane. The rocket hitting the guy in mid-jump wasn't nuts? Nothing can be as insane as the Crank series, but certainly you don't think this movie was made to be completely serious.

They mixed too much serious crap in it that I got the impression it had no idea what it wanted to be. Sure you had the over the top action, but then they mixed it with stuff like Frank being super sad about killing the undercover cop and all that bullshit.

Also they made a movie with Soap in it, and Soap wasn't played by Judge Reinhold, so they can automatically gently caress off.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

After they do Ghost Rider 2, Neveldine and Taylor need to do Punisher.

Bonus points if all his lines were just thinly veiled rewrites of his lines in Beverly Hills Cop.

Neveldine and Taylor on the Punisher would be amazing. Jason Statham would have to play someone in it. Not Frank, but maybe a villain. And yes, Reinhold was such obvious loving casting for Soap that it pisses me off that they got some guy to play him instead. It's not like Reinhold is expensive or busy, for gods sake.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mix it up with some of the Marvel Knights run to make it a bit less grim then. Stuff like The Russian and Frank punching a polar bear square in the face would lighten the mood in between stuff like The Slavers and Up Is Down And Black Is White.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There would of course have to be adaptation done to a lot of the MAX stories to make them work on a TV budget, and stuff like Mother Russia wouldn't work at all, yeah. But you could take the basic concepts behind stuff like the Barracuda arc and still do something effective, if not 100% accurate.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I thought his costume in War Zone looked awful. And the lighting was also terrible. The neon everywhere, jesus.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I would pay good money to read an ongoing MAX Punisher where he DID get to kill off the supervillains of the Marvel universe. Just make it an alternate Ennis-verse or something and go wild.

I'd say there's enough material there for a good few years, having the villains actually DIE and have the resulting fallout from both hero/villain communities. Could lead to interesting deconstructions of the usual cape conventions.

This seems to be what the current MAX series is. If Bullseye makes it out of this arc alive I'll be shocked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The torture scenes was "censored" though. If you killed someone during torture it would show the kill in blurry black and white and you would lose points. Which was bullshit, Frank wouldn't think it was negative if some villain died during torture.

First, let me say there was a mod on the PC version that took the censorship out. You can find videos on youtube.

Now, the whole losing points thing. The story behind that, as I have heard it a few times, is this: When first taken to the ESRB, there was no points system in the game at all. It got an AO rating due to the kills. They censored the torture scenes, but still an AO. They put in a point system, and had it deduct points from you for killing people in the interrogations: M.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Action Man posted:

He definitely killed a teenage gang member during Frank Miller's Daredevil run. It didn't slow down Frank at all; he was just disgusted that the enemy had started employing children. I'm sure that during his three tours in Vietnam, Frank had to kill more than a few Viet Cong who were barely old enough to shave.

He mentioned a little kid with a necklace made of ears that he killed in Vietnam in one of Ennis' issues.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chaykin's style works really well on horror stories. The last horror anthology thing Marvel did a while back had some of his art, if I remember right, and it worked there. It being off in the way it was added to the mood of the story. But it does not fit in gritty, realistic crime dramas/action books like Ennis' Punisher, and stands out like a sore thumb. I'm really, really happy he only did that issue, and not the full arc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like dock worker looking Punisher myself. It helps me believe that he's able to just take off his shirt and blend in with crowds because he looks like a normal old New York guy. Also, my favorite part about that panel is the gaunt face, and how with the lighting it looks like the skull, just with some flesh hung over it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

The max version of Jigsaw was AWFUL.

Wouldn't mind seeing Tombstone pop up though.

The MAX version of Jigsaw wasn't done by Aaron though, so I'm not counting it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For 616 they already have two excuses for him being younger. Both the whole dying/coming back as an angel/being turned human thing and the more recent coming back from being Frankencastle thing. For MAX, I think they'll probably just at some point stop mentioning Vietnam by name, but that won't become an issue for at least another 10 years or so, and who knows if the MAX series will even still be going at that point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IndecisiveMexican posted:

What about having stories in the past. You could see the Punisher from 197?-recent day.

I would kill for a Tales Of Punisher MAX series which went over MAX versions of all the earlier 616 stories.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

From that bit, the Punisher seems more of a sadist than an obsessive.

He also has no qualms about killing corrupt cops like 616 and MAX Frank both do, as shown by him offing Ultimate Jean DeWolfe in USM a while back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Would 616 Frank not kill corrupt cops? Seems like an odd compromise for him to spare people who might be just as bad as his normal targets but in a uniform.

Ultimate Frank is an ex-cop himself, right? Not a soldier?

Ennis' Frank always refused to kill cops, for the reasons Gassire mentioned. He did just cross that line in the current MAX series though, and the cops are on his rear end like a rash now. And yeah, Ultimate Frank was a cop, who's family was killed by other corrupt cops when he refused to join in with them. That's probably colored his view on the subject differently.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I posted:

A crosspost from the badass thread of Frank being beaten up by a little girl.

To be fair to Frank here, she is a mutant, and also beat the living poo poo out of Wolverine once.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I posted:

Get thee to the badass thread! Molly beatdowns aplenty!

I love Molly. More specifically, I love her hats. The only other hat in all of comics to rival them was Ultimate Spider-Man's frog hat from when he worked at a fast food chain in the mall.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SaucyPants posted:

I am re-reading the Ennis Max stuff and noticed something. Maybe I am reading too much into my comics but in Kitchen Irish when the restaurant gets hit by the explosion Frank is just walking around in the middle of the day in the middle of Manhattan in his Punisher shirt and no one says anything to him.

He has a jacket on over it, and at least one of the paramedics does notice it after the explosion but doesn't say anything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bastard posted:

That was such an awesome game.

Just look at it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IWCmr0N2F0&feature=related

This game is right up there on the list of Arcade games I would probably kill someone to own an original cabinet of, alongside X-Men, Turtles in Time, and MK2.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bastard posted:

When you've got that setup, can I...can I come over to your house? :ohdear:

If I ever get that set up, you're all invited.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dickeye posted:

I didn't think they had actually revealed what his last words to her were.

They haven't. They probably will next issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well good new, Marvel Studios just got the rights to Punisher back. So if we see another movie, it'll be handled by them.

• Locked thread