Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really didn't like the first issue of the new Punisher run, but the second issue has much better pacing, and I'm glad someone is using the new Vulture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Not to mention having Castle set against a man just as driven and vengeful as he was.

Yeah. Loved the "death" Punisher issue and the following Daken vs FrankenCastle fight.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Not to mention they just showed Frank getting slapped around by Captain America while he was a marine in Vietnam during Civil War (wait, how long ago was Civil War?)

2 months ago Marvel time?

But yeah, 616 Castle has been de-aged at least twice. Once with the Blood Stone, and once when he became some sort of avenging angel and I think he became black or something?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

If they change him again they should just make him a generic Special Forces guy so he's not tied to a specific conflict and time period.
The argument against that is that, just like Cap and Magneto are specifically tied to WWII, Punisher has become tied to Vietnam.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Fox is making a Punisher TV Show.....that is NOT the Punisher.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51681

Is that just so they can hold onto the live-action media rights? Motherfucker.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I also think that scene is a slight nod that PunisherMAX is a continuity of Ennis' MAX series, since there's been (some) debate as to if this new Punisher series is in the same universe or not.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Has there? I thought they had previously made some pretty blatant references to it, going as far back as Marvel Knights stuff?

I personally never doubted it. But I think this thread even had some debate early in Aaron's run.

My understanding is that the Ennis MAX series is it's own continuity and Aaron's Punisher continues from that. And that there is a separate, 616 continuity with the Marvel Knights Punisher series he did earlier (which feature superheroes and a non old-as-gently caress Nick Fury).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I actually think that a lot of the Marvel Knights stuff does continuity double duty, as I know Ennis made reference to the Gnucci's and the Russian in MAX.

I'll take your word for it. I've only sporadically read Punisher runs (including Ennis' non-Max and MAX stuff) until Fraction did War Journalv2 during Civil War.

Maybe it's just me, but the current 616 Punisher title seems to be pretty drat dark. Outside of being able to show tits and curse without using $%#@%%^$#, what does a MAX title do that the current 616 Punisher title can't?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I found it interesting that people were literally going "Who the gently caress are you?" when talking to Fury.

Admittedly, this is the first MAX title in the MAX-verse that I've read beginning to end. Guess it's time to track down those Ennis runs I finally should read.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Professor Doctor posted:

The crossover poo poo in the latest issue makes me miss the old no-supes Punisher book even more. Suddenly Daredevil and Spiderman are in there talking about a techno-magic doohickey and I'm wondering if I missed an issue.
Alves shooting Hornhead in the back was satisfying though.

Which old no supes book? The earlier issues in this run featured the super powered Vulture in the second issue.

And you did miss an issue, in Avenging Spider-Man. Which everyone should be reading anyway. It's also using a plot thread from Daredevil's new series (which is arguably the best series Marvel is currently publishing)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Well then it's a good thing that Stan Lee has literally nothing to do with Marvel comics or Marvel Studios then, isn't it?

It really is. But it also shows that he might genuinely feel that way. Usually, if someone from Marvel tells him to love a story, he'll write 5 pages of praise without actually reading the drat thing (see: Clone Saga, One More Day)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mainly because we know it is going to go nowhere. Frank will escape and then he'll be conned into joining the Thunderbolts. Ta-da!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Red posted:

I've been slowly picking up and reading The Punisher War Journal TPBs by Matt Fraction, and just finished #3 - and these are fun as hell. I'm just going to assume all of his stuff is equally awesome, and start picking up his Thor and Iron Man.

If you also like fun Punisher, Remender's Punisher goes from dark to fun when Frank turns into FrankenCastle.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

At least she's out there in the world doing her thing.

I've checked out a shitton of Punisher MAX books and just re-read all of Aaron's run. I never read all of Ennis' Max run so I'm going to see what I've got from the library. Is it usually pretty continuity friendly as in I can pick up any of the arcs and pretty much know what's going on?

Anything from the Punisher Max era post-Aaron that's worth reading? Is any of the Fury stuff any good? What's his MAX status nowadays, since he kind of went out and killed Vanessa Fisk?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Punisher will be in next month's Avenging Spider-Man issue.

Now THAT should be fun. And hopefully, completely disconnected from Thunderbolts.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gfanikf posted:

Is it wrong that I enjoyed the last Punisher War Zone with Frank vs the Avengers?

I mean, it isn't bad. But I think a lot in this thread were following the behind-the-scenes stuff and we all kinda know that this wasn't how Rucka envisioned Frank ending up this way at the end of his run.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't know if I like this "Trial of the Punisher" book yet, but it's got a decent start.

EDIT: Looks like I only have next issue to decide - it's only a two-issue series.

Guggenheim (or however you spell it) had a stunningly mediocre run on Wolverine and a mediocre run on Spider-Man during Brand New Day. This Punisher story isn't anything different.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flaggy posted:

I thought it was a nice little 1 off story for the Punisher. I just want a monthly back.

Thunderbolts was actually pretty good for a while but last issue didn't impress me all that much.

I think Punisher has trouble keeping a solo title up for sales for long. Fraction's Punisher: War Journal seemed to get tied into several events or status quos to boost sales a bit, but I don't really remember if it was cancelled since Fraction was moving on to other titles or to poor sales. Rucka seemed to shun event tie ins and whatnot except for a bit of crossover with Avenging Spider-Man and Daredevil, and that probably didn't help the book any. The only title I remember really feeling like it completed its own story on its own was Remender's Punisher.

Punisher MAX is a whole different story.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because you can't do mass-murder without profanity and sex. There's no way the Punisher can remain PG-13 and have the comic survive long-term. At least *now*.

Remender's Punisher was pretty gruesome for a while. I mean, he took a flamethrower to his reincarnated deceased wife and children.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I haven't read Punisher #1. And I think Punisher doesn't have to be stoic and completely evil and all. I think Fraction stayed true to the character because he still kept everyone at arm's length, only reluctantly teamed up, and still found himself on the wrong side of the side with a hero more often than not. But at the same time, it had some more fun elements with the tech and what not and wasn't incredibly grim. There was a lot of event tie-ins and guest appearances, but Punisher works really well as a contrast with heroes so it is always tempting to do that.

I think people tend to remember Franken-Castle from Remender's run but don't remember the several issues before it, which was incredibly grim and downright depressing. I thought it was pretty good stuff.

I also don't think any of these series were failures. Punisher hasn't been a huge selling character for a long time but Remender, Fractions, and Rucka all had respectable runs.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NotAnArtist posted:

I enjoyed the new Punisher #1. Admittedly I'm just an armchair fan of the character so my standards my not be as high, though.

Going to have to track down Ennis' work on Max though.

Jason Aaron's Punisher run is also MAX and is the same continuity as Ennis and is also excellent.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Punisher could get pretty chatty in his early appearances in Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man. He wasn't a "zinger" but he talked.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

coconono posted:

I kinda like the diner scenes because it makes the action even more gratuitously violent.

It does bother that we don't get more Frank dealing the gently caress out about his wife and kids.

Has 616 Punisher ever really dwelled on his wife and kids? I know it was an issue kind of in the background of Ennis' MAX, and it was really up front in Aaron's MAX continuation. But the only writer in recent memory to really address Frank's family was Remender when the Hood/Dormammu re-incarnated their super dead bodies.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So the Punisher appearance in Black Widow. I didn't understand that last scene with them. Was she planning on shooting Punisher? What made her stop?

EDIT: That's what I get for reading Widow first before the Punisher title.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 6, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It didn't really clear anything up. Widow says she needs a ride back but can't bring the Punisher back to the States. So she drops him in some central american prison or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Punisher was manipulated by Jackal and I'm pretty certain turned against him in the intro story, but I'd have to double check. Punisher was also practically a supporting cast member when Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man series was launched.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

site posted:

Getting stuck in Stark's HR division in the movies is quite a demotion for her then. Wonder why they did that?

Probably because SHIELD doesn't exist in MCU right now.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aaron's had a pretty good run at Marvel so having one forgettable run on Hulk really isn't that bad. And even forgettable still means it isn't bad. It isn't Loeb or Hopeless levels of bad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pierson posted:

I realise after you saying that that yeah, I've never actually read 616 Punisher, only the MAX stuff. I assume 616 Punisher is a different thing entirely and nowhere near as violent which god knows I could use that after binging MAX last week. Are there any good arcs I should look out for?

I think Remender's run on Punisher is really underrated but it has a tonal shift halfway through. The first half of the series is Punisher and his new tech buddy battling Osborn and more specifically, the Hood. And the Hood is just pulling out all the stops against Frank. At one point, Osborn sends Daken (Wolverine's son) in to kill Frank. I think it gets pretty dark and graphic for 616. Not quite MAX level but it pushes some boundaries.

After his death, Frank gets operated on by Morbius and becomes FrankenCastle and the book takes on a more...I don't want to say lighthearted. But a more adventurous type of story. Just also with Frank as a literal monster killing other monsters and weird poo poo. It is still really good. Then there's a mini taking place right after the series ended that wraps up some of the unresolved plots.

The whole run is collected in a hardcover and I highly recommend it.

I also enjoyed the Rucka Punisher run, but the mini that wraps it up kind of wraps things up in a nice bow that makes no sense because Rucka was told Punisher is joining the Thunderbolts for reasons. I don't know if I'd say it is extremely graphic but it is a good run (though there are 1-2 posters in BSS who'll say it is crap).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

He quickly stopped becoming a Spider-Man villain after he found out the Jackal lied to him. Which reminds me there was a Punisher mini several years back with the cliffhanger being the Jackal is back as a crime lord and it was never followed up on. I would've loved to see that confrontation.

Punisher also had a long run as a frequent guest appearance in Spectacular Spider-Man before eventually getting his own title.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lee will say anything to any audience.

But Lee didn't create Punisher. Conway did. But Lee has claimed to come up with the name, saying he had earlier used it for some C-list Galactus villain. Lee also claimed Conway wanted to call him the Assassin.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

site posted:

Also, I've been reading some Ultimate comics and what is everyone's opinion on its treatment of Frank? Putting him in Avengers but having him do basically nothing except be the guy who shoots Spider-Man. Like, seriously, what a waste. Why have him there at all?

Punisher was good but rarely used. He had a fairly decent Team-Up three issue run that featured Daredevil and Spider-Man. But he's such a brutal character (traditionally in 616, Frank doesn't kill cops, even dirty ones) and he's mostly stone cold silent. So I think it was hard to portray him in USM where he just doesn't fit well together.

Maybe if there was an Ultimate Street Level book where he could just keep offing C-list villains like there's no tomorrow that would've been cool.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It isn't like the Punisher gives a gently caress about law. He kill people.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Frank isn't even the only Punisher like figure in 616. Just most of them are inactive or dead, like Scourge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait until we get to the story where Batroc repeatedly beats the poo poo out of Punisher.

Or where he runs Wolverine over with a steam roller.

• Locked thread