Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
dropping out of tournament due to something called "boner shame". more on this as it develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I will: get fingers stuck in my butthole, stick fingers into other's buttholes, rub myself on dudes who have not showered in weeks, submit to what is basically torture to make weight, and wear a singlet, but I will never touch a woman I am not married to in the eyes of god.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I will: get fingers stuck in my butthole, stick fingers into other's buttholes, rub myself on dudes who have not showered in weeks, submit to what is basically torture to make weight, and wear a singlet, but I will never touch a woman with consent I am not married to in the eyes of god.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

Today [Gomi] wrote on his blog that he’ll participate in the ADCC Asia Trial 2011 (presented by ISAMI reversal) on February 27th in Japan.

Another interesting thing to note is that when Shinya Aoki read a tweet about Gomi’s participation, he retweeted the tweet, adding: “I wonder if it’s still too late to sign up.”

It seems like February 17th (it’s the 18th in Japan now) was the last day to sign up so he’s a bit late.

Wrestlebox rides again

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

fatherdog posted:

Wrestlebox rides again

I assume the announcement of a superfight rematch with the Terra is forthcoming.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Thoguh posted:

Two girls qualified for the Iowa Wrestling tournament, the first two ever. Just qualifying is a pretty big deal.
I don't know much about wrestling, but I assume that people wrestle those of all school years, right? The article says the girls are a sophomore and a freshman, so that means that they may be able to duplicate at least getting into the tournament quite a few times. That's cool.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Thoguh posted:

Since there really isn't any other thread to put this in...

Two girls qualified for the Iowa Wrestling tournament, the first two ever. Just qualifying is a pretty big deal. The tournament started this morning and one of them got pinned in the first round against a ranked guy.

The other won, because her opponent, who is 35-4 and had a decent shot at making the finals, forfeited due to not wanting to wrestle a girl, saying that wrestling a girl disagreed with his faith (http://iowaprepsports.com/featured/2011/02/17/linn-mar-student-cites-conscience-faith-in-not-wrestling-girl).

Stupid kid, hope he loses his next match at never qualifies again. Leave the tournament to people that actually want to be there.

The comments are both hilarious and :smith:

There will be no GIRLS in OUR GAY SPORT!!!!

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Ari Bolden is a herb but that doesn't mean that the move wouldn't work.

Disregarding that its Ari Bolden, just looking at that submission (I've never had it put on me before) it looks like someone would be able to use their right arm in order to alleviate pressure and potentially escape.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I'd just forget the half nelson part and do the Hashimoto triangle/arbmar though.

Yeah, this is what i was going to say. I like going for the armbar.

edit:

Remember, only roll around on the floor with mostly naked men, like god intended.

MycroftXXX fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 17, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grifter posted:

I don't know much about wrestling, but I assume that people wrestle those of all school years, right? The article says the girls are a sophomore and a freshman, so that means that they may be able to duplicate at least getting into the tournament quite a few times. That's cool.

Yeah, one is a sophomore and the other is a Freshman. If they can stay at 112 they'll have a decent shot at getting back to the tournament the next few years. At 119 and above I don't think they'd be able to be very competitive. At 103 and 112 the muscle mass difference isn't enough to overcome with technique.

A big thing a whole bunch of the comments are ignoring is that you don't just show up at the state tournament, you qualify through your district. Only the top two from each of 8 districts goes to State. So these aren't just two random girls who decided to show up and wrestle, they earned their place by getting first or second at districts. Lots of really decent wrestlers never make it to State.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Iowa is also a tough rear end wrestling state, so they didn't just show up and take a gimme.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Iowa is also a tough rear end wrestling state, so they didn't just show up and take a gimme.

There was a second girl who qualified in the same weight class. Her opponents just went out and wrestled her and nobody made a big deal about it.

This kid's dad is apparently the preacher at the local evengelical church. I kind of feel sorry for him because its pretty clear he didn't have a choice in the matter (though who knows what he would have done if he had), and he had a very decent shot at making the finals, now the absolute best he can do is third. It's safe to say he'll be looking back on this with regret in the years to come. But for now, his parents won't have him rubbing up against no sweaty girl.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

There was a second girl who qualified in the same weight class. Her opponents just went out and wrestled her and nobody made a big deal about it.

This kid's dad is apparently the preacher at the local evengelical church. I kind of feel sorry for him because its pretty clear he didn't have a choice in the matter (though who knows what he would have done if he had), and he had a very decent shot at making the finals, now the absolute best he can do is third. It's safe to say he'll be looking back on this with regret in the years to come. But for now, his parents won't have him rubbing up against no sweaty girl.

Also his coach and the rest of his team are going to be on him unmercifully for pretty much the rest of the year if not longer.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Don't they have female divisions?

I wonder if I'll have to grapple a girl at the 215lbs weight class. I had to box a girl once and it wasn't alot of fun.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

westcoaster posted:

Don't they have female divisions?

I wonder if I'll have to grapple a girl at the 215lbs weight class. I had to box a girl once and it wasn't alot of fun.

They do in some states but in most there aren't enough women to make them have their own divisions. I think Hawaii and Texas have women's divisions.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I am a huge MMA nerd, and all of my favorite fighters are BJJ guys, but I dont know all that much about "pure" BJJ. Can some of you grappling nerds post a breakdown of some of the major competitors?

I hear names like Marcello Garcia, Jacare and Roger Gracie thrown around a lot as elite grapplers but i dont know what their accomplishments are, what kinds of strengths or weaknesses they have, etc.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Roger Gracie is the most technically sound BJJ (with gi) player ever. He's absolutely fantastic without the gi, he has decent reach, and very bad striking. He has won everything that matters in grappling, a couple of times.

Jacare is the second brazilian to ever workout. He has won everything, and found ways to beat Roger on points a few times (but he has lost the majority of their meetings). His striking is decent, but his chin is very suspect.

Marcelo Garcia is dead or something. Who cares.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Sure, there are a lot of competitors both past and present who probably deserve a write-up and I won’t presume to try to cover everybody but I’ll try to add a post or two whenever I get the time. I’ll start with Marcelo because he’s probably the guy at the top of the sport who I’m the biggest fan of and because between our vaguely similar body types and the enormous man-crush my instructor has on him he’s probably the top competitor I tend to emulate the most.

Marcelo in the process of beating Ricco Rodriguez

Marcelo Garcia was born in Formiga, Brazil in 1983 and was awarded his black belt by Fabio Gurgel. Growing up Garcia trained in a number of martial arts, including karate and judo. It was his love for judo that led to his introduction to jiu jitsu, and over time he became increasingly devoted to the sport and his devotion has paid off as he is one of the more decorated competitors in grappling today. He is a four time gold medalist at the Mundials (World Jiu Jitsu championships) and a three time gold medalist at his weight class and a one time silver medalist in the absolute division in ADCC; he is also a three time gold medalist, once in the absolute division, at the Brazillian National Championships.

I have no idea if this is reliable but according to Wikipedia his two losses against someone in his own weight class in the last seven years were against Pablo Popovitch at ADCC in 2009 and Michael Langhi at the World Pro Cup, also in ‘09. Popovitch is himself one of the great grapplers in the world who has basically beat everybody but Garcia (who he has lost to twice, both by submission, both in the finals of ADCC) he has faced in the past half decade and Langhi was named the BJJ Competitor of the year in 2009 and also took gold in his weight in the Mundials in '09.

As for Garcia’s strengths and weaknesses he’s probably most famous for his use of the X guard, but I suppose his other “signature techniques” would include his arm drag, his guillotine, and his back takes, back mount and rear naked choke. Considering that he basically doesn’t lose in grappling competition except when facing other elite competitors who are significantly bigger than him (Jacare, Roger Gracie, Robert Drysdale, Braulio Estima, Xande, Ribeiro) his main weakness seems to be the fact that he hasn’t had any success (granted in only one professional fight) in MMA. Garcia is one of the world’s best and one of the most entertaining grapplers to watch, none of his ADCC matches that I have come across are anything but entertaining. And his highlight real is endlessly entertaining. Everyone should be a fan of Marcelo Garcia.

edit: Also what are you talking about, Jacare is the third Brazillian to lift.

Grab Your Foot! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 18, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I also want to add that he's a fantastic instructor, and his warm-up exercises are just hell of fun. Crawling races and GI dodgeball are not unusual activites in his club.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Grab Your Foot! posted:

I have no idea if this is reliable but according to Wikipedia his two losses against someone in his own weight class in the last seven years were against Pablo Popovitch at ADCC in 2009 and Michael Langhi at the World Pro Cup, also in ‘09. Popovitch is himself one of the great grapplers in the world who has basically beat everybody but Garcia (who he has lost to twice, both by submission, both in the finals of ADCC) he has faced in the past half decade and Langhi was named the BJJ Competitor of the year in 2009 and also took gold in his weight in the Mundials in '09.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, also the only other guy to beat him as a blackbelt at middleweight was Terere, who deserves his own write-up because he was an amazing competitor, and then went insane or something.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I think this is my favorite marcelo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lORxrOEGg

Even veteran grapplers like Shields are completely baffled by him.

"He didn't even have mount!"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

http://www.bjjheroes.com/

This site has a pretty complete library of great bjj guys, past and present, with decent write-ups for them. A few people are missing but you will find 99% of what you want.

PS Pablo Popovitch's family home was hit by that land slide near Rio a few weeks ago. His mom died and his dad was seriously injured. My instructor was actually friends with his older sister, it's a very sad thing they are dealing with. If you feel charitable, you can donate to his medical fund here: http://www.teampopovitchlive.com/?p=163

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Updating on the wrestling stuff I posted yesterday. Both Jesus boy and the girl he refused to wrestle got eliminated in the round of 12, and won't place.

The three guys who went out and competed against *gasp* a girl are all alive in the conselation bracket and will place 8th at worst.

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man
So with the Olympics coming up next year I was looking at getting some tickets for the wrestling events. I know very little about wrestling but the videos posted in these threads are always entertaining, I'm just wondering which is generally more entertaining Greco or Freestyle? And who are the big names I should look out for?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Patient_Toffee posted:

So with the Olympics coming up next year I was looking at getting some tickets for the wrestling events. I know very little about wrestling but the videos posted in these threads are always entertaining, I'm just wondering which is generally more entertaining Greco or Freestyle? And who are the big names I should look out for?

Greco is going to have more big throws, Freestyle more explosive doublelegs and the like. Rule changes in recent years have really neutered them though, so I'd reccomend going to earlier rounds when you'll see more mismatches between the competitors leading to more big moves and touch falls.

If you want to see diseased pajama wrestling, go to a Judo event instead.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Marcelo stuff

Just gonna add, the main reason that Marcelo only has 1 fight is because of K-1 jerking him around for an entire year with cancellations. He basically stayed in fight camp with ATT the entire time, and the whole experience left a sour taste in his mouth, so he's just concentrating on grappling and growing his organization now. MGinaction.com is an awesome site, I had an account for a while before I messed up my knee and I learned a ton.

K-1 ruins everything.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
MGinaction.com is an ironic name considering how little Marcelo fought.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I bought a new judogi and it arrived in the mail today its an Atama double weave, the jacket is too baggy (read they all are) and the sleeves are about an inch too long to compete in. Think i could shrink this down to a perfect fit? any tips? The pants fit amazing, great length and quality.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

TwistedNails posted:

I bought a new judogi and it arrived in the mail today its an Atama double weave, the jacket is too baggy (read they all are) and the sleeves are about an inch too long to compete in. Think i could shrink this down to a perfect fit? any tips? The pants fit amazing, great length and quality.

if it's not preshrunk, it will probably shrink down to just about right. Usually, you lose about an inch or so. I do normal cold water wash and then the delicate dry to shrink my gis. No idea if that is the best/worst way.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Yeah it isn't preshrunk, I actually might return it for another size I read online their double weave is harder to shrink down and a size smaller might be better for me.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 19, 2011

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Xguard86 posted:

http://www.bjjheroes.com/

This site has a pretty complete library of great bjj guys, past and present, with decent write-ups for them. A few people are missing but you will find 99% of what you want.

This Pe De Pano guy seems like my kind of character

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I hear names like Marcello Garcia, Jacare and Roger Gracie thrown around a lot as elite grapplers but i dont know what their accomplishments are, what kinds of strengths or weaknesses they have, etc.
To elaborate on Roger, I believe I mentioned his earlier reign of 2009 WTF, but if not... basically in 2005's ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club) no-gi competition he won both his weight class and the "absolute" openweight division with submissions, submitting everybody from Werdum to Aoki to Jacare*. Roger's legend however skyrocketed when he repeated this in 2009 at the World Jiu-Jitsu Championship (the "Mundials" competition), this time in the gi, and in every match he submitted his opponent with a mounted choke. From a pre-Trevor Prangley interview on Sherdog (this past January):

quote:

In racking up a record number of jiu-jitsu titles, Gracie was particularly brilliant in his mount attack, lining up what appeared to be basic, fundamental chokes against top competition. Throughout his training life, Gracie was a natural on top, a position he noticed brilliant guard players had trouble defending. He worked obsessively on getting to mount, one of the hardest positions to achieve in sport jiu-jitsu. He finished his opponents in the 2007, 2008 and 2009 world finals with chokes from the mount.

“That, in my opinion, is what the fighters lacked,” he says of mount defense. “There’s a huge imbalance there. You’d see great jiu-jitsu fighters with great guards, very hard to sweep, but when you put them in [a position] to defend the mount, they’re not as strong. A lot of people you see, they get really good and suddenly they stop, you don’t see them improving more. And that never happened to me. I’ve never had to reach my peak.”

While a strong top game came naturally to Gracie, it was his ability to read opponents and walk through an opening that put him in a different category altogether. Gracie admits he finds it much harder to finish from the mount in MMA, so he is shifting, trying to find different patterns and consistent holes among MMA fighters.
There are people who don't put him at the P4P top because of a perception of lesser technique at heavyweight, but apparently he's got surprising strength (read: he once ripped open an opponent's brand-new gi sleeve) and his reach is apparently more effective (than just "decent") in helping his grappling performance. Technique-wise, unlike Marcelo's famous use of X-guard, by all accounts Roger just sticks to "the basics."

* Notable because in their last match, at the 2004 Mundials absolute final, Jacare was actually ahead on points when he got armbarred, and there apparently wasn't a "technical stoppage" or "TKO injury" rule in place, so he didn't tap -- Roger broke his arm, but Jacare was able to run out the clock for the points win.
EDIT: Instead of just gutting it out though, Jacare "escaped" and ended up out of bounds, but when the bout was continued-or-restarted, he then kept stalling/playing keep away for several minutes to the point that Roger can be seen pointing it out to the ref, to no avail, on the second video OrangeCrush linked.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 20, 2011

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
jacare vs Roger 2k4 mundial pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZdDh_yQVSU

pt 2:

The arm is broken just after 1min in this video. such an incredible match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYwlxHjkMA

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I originally planned to say something about Jacare being a badass, thinking he just held out in an armbar with a broken arm for like 10 seconds.

Seeing him Starnes about for a long-rear end time changed my opinion.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Save Russian Jews posted:

Seeing him Starnes about for a long-rear end time changed my opinion.

Yeah, it was a tactical victory. But come on, he was working through the pain of a goddamn broken arm (popped elbow?).

quote:

Gracie admits he finds it much harder to finish from the mount in MMA
What makes it harder in MMA? The striking from the bottom seems to be such a small facet of the mount that I don't see what would change that much. Which choke is he applying? Is it a no-gi choke? Do gloves become an issue?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What makes it harder in MMA? The striking from the bottom seems to be such a small facet of the mount that I don't see what would change that much. Which choke is he applying? Is it a no-gi choke? Do gloves become an issue?

He's not talking about a specific choke being harder to finish, he's saying that it is harder in mma to finish people from mount, full stop. Which is perfectly reasonable since there are a ton of gi chokes from mount in bjj which, obviously, aren't available in mma.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From that post, I didn't know if Roger was talking about mount in gi or no-gi. But I guess my question stands -- if you're attacking from the top in mount and not using strikes, how different is mount in MMA from mount in no-gi?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

kimbo305 posted:

From that post, I didn't know if Roger was talking about mount in gi or no-gi. But I guess my question stands -- if you're attacking from the top in mount and not using strikes, how different is mount in MMA from mount in no-gi?

fatherdog posted:

Which is perfectly reasonable since there are a ton of gi chokes from mount in bjj which, obviously, aren't available in mma.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So this bit:

quote:

He worked obsessively on getting to mount, one of the hardest positions to achieve in sport jiu-jitsu. He finished his opponents in the 2007, 2008 and 2009 world finals with chokes from the mount.

“That, in my opinion, is what the fighters lacked,” he says of mount defense.
Is talking strictly about gi? I don't know what sport jiu-jitsu encompasses.
e: nor specifically which world final events those are.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Specifically Roger is known for his cross choke from mount, which is a gi choke and can't be done without the gi. Most of the other chokes from mount also involve the gi, and those that don't aren't really unique to or even necessarily best attempted from the mount, like all the arm triangle variants.

Plus because most submission attempts require taking some sort of risk (like giving up a sweep if you attempt an armbar from mount and your opponent escapes) and in MMA top position is that much more valuable even really good grapplers often just say gently caress it and punch the dude rather than try for a submission.

And the World Championship being referred to is the "World Jiu Jitsu Championship" or the Mundials, which is the most prestigious jiu jitsu (ie with the gi) tournament in the world.

Grab Your Foot! fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

So this bit:

Is talking strictly about gi? I don't know what sport jiu-jitsu encompasses.
e: nor specifically which world final events those are.

"sport jiujitsu" is BJJ, which takes place with the gi. No gi grappling isn't sport jiujitsu, it's no gi grappling.