Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone found video of Gomi's win in the ADCC trials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
So I'm entering my first BJJ competition next Saturday. Apart from a bit of last minute training/rolling (I'll go to about 4-5 90 minute classes in the days until then), is there anything in particular I should do/avoid doing to prepare? I've been at it for about 6 months, should I try to cram as much BJJ knowledge as possible into my head (reading the poo poo out of my roommate's copy of Jiu Jitsu University, for example)? I'm not too concerned about my weight, I'm 3 lbs under the limit for the class I'll compete at. Anything you can offer that'll reduce my chances of being on the receiving end of an rear end-kicking would be much appreciated.
My buddy used to wrestle in high school and did pretty darn well in provincial competitions, should I get him to teach me how to double/single leg some bitches?

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Wait for your opponent to pull guard, step a leg over their guard, leg drag their outside leg across your body, tap. Go for gold.

A lot of your first tournament is basically learning to chill out and use what you know under stress. I wouldn't try to cram in techniques you aren't familiar with; odds are if you even remember them in a match you won't be very comfortable with them. Most of the one sided matches at white belt I've seen tend to involve one guy who can wrestle and one who can't, maybe work on wrestling this week.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Biafraid posted:

So I'm entering my first BJJ competition next Saturday. Apart from a bit of last minute training/rolling (I'll go to about 4-5 90 minute classes in the days until then), is there anything in particular I should do/avoid doing to prepare? I've been at it for about 6 months, should I try to cram as much BJJ knowledge as possible into my head (reading the poo poo out of my roommate's copy of Jiu Jitsu University, for example)? I'm not too concerned about my weight, I'm 3 lbs under the limit for the class I'll compete at. Anything you can offer that'll reduce my chances of being on the receiving end of an rear end-kicking would be much appreciated.
My buddy used to wrestle in high school and did pretty darn well in provincial competitions, should I get him to teach me how to double/single leg some bitches?

Treat it as a high-stress learning environment. You'll learn all about how (not to) properly warm up before you step on to the mats, how to totally gas do extremely well against a 100% resisting opponent. You will also realize what you are good and what you are not good at, as well. It is an amazing experience, and win/lose/draw/mangling, you'll have a blast.

If you absolutely have to get some advice, it would be this "try to stay relaxed, as impossible as it is, and if you're fighting people the same experience level as you - they're as gassed as you are!"

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
just like hs wrasslin, have two moves to each side in every situation that you know you can execute. Stay relaxed and stay technical. But remember he's not ur buddy so you can be ruff. Also don't be too relaxed that some jerk traps ur foot in half guard for like 2 minutes.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Try your best to force them to play your game. If you're a guard guy, pull guard. If you're a top control guy, aggressively pursue the takedown. Of course, try your best to be prepared for when poo poo doesn't go your way (which is pretty often). If you're not a wrestler, accept the possibility that you'll get taken down and stalled out. If you are a wrestler, take the guy down and stall him out, because stalling rules.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I joined the free rolling session last night at my gym...
like I anticipated it was just me getting tapped out repeatedly. Also, I found that when I was in survival mode, any techniques that I had learned just kinda went out the window and I ended up doing what was "natural" and led to me getting subbed or in worse positions.
Is there a point where the stuff Im learning in the classes becomes natural by drilling more or do I just have to calm the gently caress down haha.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate it. I'll see about getting some wrestling help, and I'll stay calm and focus on the things I know how to do and am comfortable doing. I'll let you know how it goes; even if I get subbed hilariously, I look forward to the experience.

fawker posted:

Is there a point where the stuff Im learning in the classes becomes natural by drilling more or do I just have to calm the gently caress down haha.

Speaking as someone who just started recently: both. I actually think one of the coolest things about BJJ is just how much better and more comfortable practice makes you. I'm leagues beyond where I was 3 months ago, and nowadays when someone whoops my rear end or lands a really sweet takedown/sub/sweep on me I just get stoked and ask them to teach me. It's all learning, and it all rules.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

what are some moves I can do when the guy turtles up? I been rolling with a guy around my level who is little weaker then me and I can get him into that position alot, yet if I try to take his back I just end up on my back eventually and he is in my guard.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

what are some moves I can do when the guy turtles up? I been rolling with a guy around my level who is little weaker then me and I can get him into that position alot, yet if I try to take his back I just end up on my back eventually and he is in my guard.
there is only one technique available from this position

http://www.s-t-f-u.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/olympic_oil_check.jpg

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

shizen posted:

Crippler crossface
Rolling reverse omoplata
Karelin's lift
Rings of Saturn
Secret Move

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

fawker posted:

I joined the free rolling session last night at my gym...
like I anticipated it was just me getting tapped out repeatedly. Also, I found that when I was in survival mode, any techniques that I had learned just kinda went out the window and I ended up doing what was "natural" and led to me getting subbed or in worse positions.

Calming down definitely helps, also don't be afraid to ask questions. Like if a guy taps you out three times in a row with an armbar from guard, ask him what you're doing wrong and he'll probably tell where you should be putting your arms instead of on his chest :D

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Secret Move

gently caress it, I'll just do this.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Biafraid posted:

gently caress it, I'll just do this.

Just keep in mind that it's a neck crank so modify it by doing an Ezekiel or other gi choke. I've done a secret baseball choke once too if it's no gi.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Noted. I'm definitely doing gi, that's like a gift-wrapped gi choke. Do you typically just employ pro wrestling moves you see on TV, or is there some kind of cortX-techniques wiki I should know about?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Biafraid posted:

Noted. I'm definitely doing gi, that's like a gift-wrapped gi choke. Do you typically just employ pro wrestling moves you see on TV, or is there some kind of cortX-techniques wiki I should know about?

I had a video of a bunch of stuff I use from under side control but I took it down 'cause it was right after a bunch of guys were getting poo poo for having instructionals without the credentials to back it up (Ari Bolden, Brandon Quick) and considering I'm only a blue belt I didn't feel like it was a good look for me to be making videos showing people how to do moves.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Bummer. Under side control is usually where I find myself being crushed and unable to do much, especially against bigger opponents (which is pretty much everyone). Verdum, I ain't.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Myself I love the back and a lot of my game is built around getting there so if someone turtles up on me I'm almost always looking for a way to get to the back, and if not only because I'm responding to something like the other guy reaching back to turn in by going for a guillotine or something.

Usually after establishing my hands (I make a fist with my far side arm and try to use it to lever the far side leg out, near side arm levers up under their near side armpit I try a spiral ride or two to see how the guy in turtle reacts, that's kind of like this but using a knee to block your opponent's near side leg so they rotate onto their butt rather than flattening out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQ8KNlBLnI

If my opponent reacts by really widening his base to keep on balance that's usually an opportunity to just sink in the hooks from the turtle, though you should make sure to keep your weight back and probably go with double underhook control if you're having issues being bucked off.

If all else fails I personally will try a somersault back take a la Leo Viera against Eddie Bravo, which isn't actually very hard to do, but often doesn't really work because my opponent blocks my hooks, like Bravo did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCCikDvdrCI

And yeah, as you practice techniques they do become instinctual and even better the fundamental ideas behind them become instinct so even if you're in a position that you're not totally sure about you kinda have an idea what to do, and part of that is chilling out, which at the very least will allow you to roll for more than five minutes without gassing.

Personally the instinct to go for a rolling back take is beginning to sink in for me and goddamn do I love this back take. Strangely enough I think I first ran into it as a part of Eddie Bravo's twister stuff. It owns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjF6DV9QfJ0

Hall pulled it off in his UFC superfight with Hermes Franca off of a waiter sweep from deep half and that's probably my favorite technique chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJT_PgVgPY&feature=related

Please only watch like the first thirty seconds of that.

Also, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k5cSqIbH1Y&feature=related

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I had a video of a bunch of stuff I use from under side control but I took it down 'cause it was right after a bunch of guys were getting poo poo for having instructionals without the credentials to back it up (Ari Bolden, Brandon Quick) and considering I'm only a blue belt I didn't feel like it was a good look for me to be making videos showing people how to do moves.

The problem with those guys isn't so much that they're not qualified(Ari probably isn't, but for all of Quick's poo poo a lot of his material seemed pretty good) it's that they misrepresented there level and at least in Ari's case a lot of what he was teaching was loving awful. As long as you're not wearing a black belt or fronting like your some kind of expert put up whatever you want.

Side note: My coach kimura/americana'd(I'm not sure which)two people from under side control today.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

shizen posted:

Don't listen to CortX yet. First, question is: do you have the basics down on attacking the turtle? Do you know the proper positions for controlling a turtled opponent and the common mistakes? Do you know how to take your opponents back from turtle by pulling him over your shin into a seated position? Do you know how to get top head and arm control and get perpendicular and roll sideways over his head to get his back? Do you know how to pull him into side control? You need those fundamentals first before you start doing other stuff.

If you want I could write up how to do these fundamentals but it's better to ask you instructor to show you.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Biafraid posted:

Bummer. Under side control is usually where I find myself being crushed and unable to do much, especially against bigger opponents (which is pretty much everyone). Verdum, I ain't.

underhook, scoot your hip out until you can heist to your knees. Then learn to defend a front headlock (hand fight, redrag) once you get there.

Seriously, learning to underhook is probably the most important skill to getting off the bottom from pretty much any position.

It's not flashy, tricky, or en vogue. It' a working mans move, and can make for a hard fight off the bottom vs bigger dudes. However, the success rate is amazingly high, and underhooking will keep you from getting subbed while you figure out where the rest of the moves are.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

dokomoy posted:

The problem with those guys isn't so much that they're not qualified(Ari probably isn't, but for all of Quick's poo poo a lot of his material seemed pretty good) it's that they misrepresented there level and at least in Ari's case a lot of what he was teaching was loving awful. As long as you're not wearing a black belt or fronting like your some kind of expert put up whatever you want.

Side note: My coach kimura/americana'd(I'm not sure which)two people from under side control today.

My instructors are just kind of old school and considering I've said on here where I train and for some reason some people from here don't like me, I figured I was better off just taking it down. I'll probably do some more videos eventually 'cause they're fun but it'll probably be more along the lines of just rolling or pushed as an exhibition thing rather than "this is how you do moves", which I tried with the last one but I still felt like it came off as me showing people how to do moves.

Me and Bohemian Nights still have to roll and should film that. Maybe before or after watching UFC 128 next weekend. Depends on how badly my body is falling apart that day.

And I think when I shot the bottom side control video I wasn't even a blue belt yet so that added to it as well. Not that a blue belt really qualifies me to make internet instructionals but a white belt did even less.

Edit: so with that being said here's a stand-up video I did like 6 months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQXSRbbwW4

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 11, 2011

Danny Cadaver
Jun 29, 2007
Who do the voodoo?

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Edit: so with that being said here's a stand-up video I did like 6 months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQXSRbbwW4

June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

Your instructor is Steven Seagal isn't it?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

haha drat, was not expecting that. Would that actually still be considered "stand up"?

widunder
May 2, 2002
Cool video with Terere who is aiming to return to competition this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQwc3BSBVw&feature=player_embedded#at=32

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Who Gotch Ya posted:

for some reason some people from here don't like me

Really? People talk a lot of poo poo and resort to personal attacks in arguments, but I don't think that's a sign of actual animosity. I don't think I've ever seen anyone post something like "God cXb sucks" and I've definitely seen posts along the lines of "Why isn't cXb posting here any more?"

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

nemoulette posted:

Cool video with Terere who is aiming to return to competition this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQwc3BSBVw&feature=player_embedded#at=32

Terere loving owns, but I'm surprised he's able to get into the US(unless he's planning to cross the border or something?)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Kept waiting for you to hit your foot on the door frame.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thermos H Christ posted:

Really? People talk a lot of poo poo and resort to personal attacks in arguments, but I don't think that's a sign of actual animosity. I don't think I've ever seen anyone post something like "God cXb sucks" and I've definitely seen posts along the lines of "Why isn't cXb posting here any more?"

I think he meant at his gym, which is not so weird because bjj people can be surprisingly catty.

Also, I think it's totally different for CXB to do videos of ridiculous poo poo that is obviously ridiculous and for fun, versus a guy showing fundamental technique that is incomplete or wrong.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Me and Bohemian Nights still have to roll and should film that. Maybe before or after watching UFC 128 next weekend. Depends on how badly my body is falling apart that day.

We can make this happen!

Also, Biafraid, no-one can really prepare you for your first competition. It's something you have to experience for yourself! I think the most important thing is to just to relax (and remember to breathe). Unless you're some kind of prodigy that just rolls over everyone on your first go, you'll learn a lot from the competition; About what you can make work, and what works against you. You'll also probably gas like gently caress from going 100% from start to finish while holding your breath.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Danny Cadaver posted:

June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.

hahaha yes

henkman posted:

Kept waiting for you to hit your foot on the door frame.

I hit it once throwing this kick and nearly destroyed my heel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6oiADjOdFg (the one that gets the KO)

Xguard86 posted:

I think he meant at his gym, which is not so weird because bjj people can be surprisingly catty.

nah I meant from SA. I just didn't want people with no lives to internet detective me and act like I was trying to be some kind of internet instructor and get me stern looks from my actual instructors who already give me stern looks when I do things like infinite omoplata loops from mount instead of going for a cross choke.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Oh, well people on SA are horrible people and that surprises no one.

Also, you are bad and should feel bad. There are three submissions, collar chokes, armbars, and triangles.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Xguard86 posted:

Oh, well people on SA are horrible people and that surprises no one.

Also, you are bad and should feel bad. There are three submissions, collar chokes, armbars, and triangles.

I used to only do omoplatas. Take their back? omoplata. Mount? omoplata. Bottom side control? omoplata. I got a talking to.

I started only doin triangles and armbars and nobody says anything about that.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I used to only do omoplatas. Take their back? omoplata. Mount? omoplata. Bottom side control? omoplata. I got a talking to.

I started only doin triangles and armbars and nobody says anything about that.

:lol:

I wish I could have seen the side control video. I want to know the workings of the infamous cxb guard.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
The infinite omoplata from mount is my favorite thing. I want to go to one of those tourneys that gives points for submission attempts and just tech fall someone with a chain of like 30 omoplatas.

Xguard86 posted:

Also, you are bad and should feel bad. There are three submissions: kneebars, heel hooks, and omoplatas

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Death Bucket posted:

You are the guy I refuse to roll with. Stay away from my crippled joints.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
I don't do heel hooks on most of my training partners; I only do it with the other guys who know what they are and when/how they're dangerous, and still ask before every round. Kneebars aren't dangerous unless you're a complete idiot and don't tap; even then I'll catch and release with newbies on things like that if I feel like they're trying to be a hero and not tap.

I've been heelhooked hundreds of times in training to no ill effect, but I did blow my knee out shooting a double of all things(grappler can't wrestling)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

doubles cause quite a bit of knee strain, it seems like most knee injuries involve shooting. I don't do standup much, but I don't really like looking for doubles when I do, because I can just feel all that knee pressure. Also, I am tall and long limbed, so shots are not exactly my natural realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Can someone post some good videos on opening a closed guard?

I know better than to watch submission101... but they have like five hundred videos up!