Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
How does one compete as a purple belt one day then compete as a blue at the next competition? How is this not sandbagging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

How the heck do I sweep from half guard when my opponent is angled across my body such that I cant take their back?
At the moment I just stall until they move off balance enough for me to bridge and roll but I feel like a jerk when I'm just stalling.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

So does folkstyle wrestling really have even more rules than judo?

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

Work for a combo move like osoto-gari into sasae tsurikomi ashi or kouchi gari into ouchi gari or kouchi gari into a hip throw/hari goshi/tai otoshi you get the idea.

Avoid turtling as a tactic because if your opponent has even slightly good ground work you could end up in a choke before you even get to the ground, also you cant attack from turtle unless your opponent is dumb and gives you their elbow. And judo judges are unpredictable in small comps and might give your opponent time to break your turtle if he is aggressive enough.

Two things I learned from my first judo match:
1 - be light on your feet or you you won't maintain your balance
2 - be prepared for some serious grip fighting - you cant just walk up and take a sleeve and lapel grip, you WILL have to fight for grips, I was naive becaue this was what we always did in randori and got manhandled like a bitch in my first match.

Edit: if you do want to go for the fake right, fake right, go left tactic use soto makikomi as your left handed throw

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

FYI your sensei is a dork.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

The first thing that comes to mind is Cystic Fibrosis but it's probably Cross-Fit.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

canoshiz posted:

I'm still pretty new to judo but I was talking to some of the higher ranked belts and they told me that harai goshi pretty much replaces o goshi at higher levels. The first two throws I learned early on when I went to practice before I owned a gi were o soto gari and o goshi. Then I pretty much never used o goshi again until the yellow belt test came around :v:

They probably meant uki-goshi is replaced by harai goshi, not o-goshi.
As the story was told to me: Kano's favourite throw was uki goshi but people started learning to step around it so he switched to harai goshi to prevent them stepping past.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Hey just a question or two here, I've been out now since February cause i stupidly dislocated my shoulder a bunch of times and didnt let it heal. I got surgery just two weeks ago and doc said Ill be out till June. He did mention the possibility of light rolling or techniques earlier than that, but I think I want to find a Physiotherapist who has some sort of background in Wrestling or grappling so they can give me a more informed answer. Given that one, Im in this poo poo because I went back to training too early after the first dislocation, and two the two times I dislocated my shoulder was first in a drill, the second time in practicing a technique, so Im a little hesitant about it.

My question is, barring light rolling and that, what should I do to get back into training? I watch youtube now and then but its pretty sparse. Anyone have any good suggestions for DVD sets for basic BJJ? Im only a two stripe white belt (8mths of rolling, 3 times a week or so, no competitions yet) so obviously I don't need any x-guard/ de la riva guard videos or anything. Some basics I can watch so I keep my mental game alive. Im thinking of picking up a book or two (I bought an X-guard book last year, though i never really used it since its too advanced for me)

Also, on another topic, does there exist tournaments that are Gi-Grappling? I mean like how there's submission no-gi grappling which brings in competitors from BJJ, catch wrestling, sambo, etc. does there exist a non-BJJ "gi grappling" that brings in competitors from Judo, BJJ, Sambo, etc.?

What would make it non-bjj/judo/sambo? I don't think there is much room for another ruleset without adding striking.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

The two local BJJ comps I have been in both had entries from judo clubs.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

Rolling no-gi last night my opponent was inside my closed guard and had gripped around my head/arm (like someone might do from side-control) and I found that I couldn't sweep from that position, and he was stronger than me enough that I couldn't break his grip around my arm/head.

I was trying to duck his arm and take his back but couldn't get out from under. I couldn't escape my hips to the side because he had my shoulders pinned flat.
What should I have done?

I ended up sinking a triangle (but he was saved by the bell) but only because he eventually tried to pass guard. If he hadn't tried to pass I would have just been stuck there.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Another thing to consider is how widespread BJJ is. The top competitors come from only a small handful of countries. To be considered for the Olympics BJJ needs to start having champions come from all over the world, not just parts of it.

This is a really good point.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

This may not help you, but I tend to err on the side of too big, then put it through the spin dryer after each wash until it is down to size.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, I competed at NAGA today at the Northeast Whatever in New Jersey. It was a pretty horrible experience!

My first opponent jumped guard on me 30 seconds into the match after I got double underhooks standing up. So I go down into his guard and start working to pass when the ref grabs my shoulder and tells me to stop because I've been DQ'd. I'm bewildered, my opponent doesn't know what the gently caress and we both just stare dumbly at the ref. He goes "you're DQ'd, you slammed him". My opponent shrugs at me and I just kind of wander off the mat in a daze. A bunch of people on the side stop me to tell me that the call was hosed up and bullshit. Apparently I was, I dunno, supposed to walk him over to the scorer's table when he jumped guard and gently sit him down there, because going to my knees when someone jumps guard is a "slam".

So yeah, pretty great day :toot:

People who jump guard deserve to be slammed. There, I said it.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

Judo may be getting ruined by all its anti-wrestling rules, but at least they understand the importance of just slamming the poo poo out of your opponent.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

I guess Relson's illustrious MMA record speaks for itself.

CivilDisobedience posted:

BJJ seems to equate chokes and joint locks while forgetting about pins entirely, Judo seems to prefer to pin first and then sub when the opponent gives them a choke or joint lock while escaping (but only certain subs are fair game), etc.

You can't win a BJJ match with a 'pin' (unless you're up on points and time is running out), so you take the points and then work for a submission.
In Judo you can win a match by pinning your opponent for 25 seconds, so why risk losing the dominant position by attempting a submission when all you have to do is flatten them out and sit tight?

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

What doesn't feel right about it? Are people escaping from it too easy? If so, how are they escaping?

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

I really need to work on my cartwheels.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

White belts SHOULD pull guard at training, and then focus on getting a sweep. Otherwise it's two guys on their knees wrestling for half of the roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

I'd like to add a +1 for Fuji. Mine has lasted longer than any other 'cheap' gi I have owned in the past.