Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
dropping out of tournament due to something called "boner shame". more on this as it develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Roger Gracie is the most technically sound BJJ (with gi) player ever. He's absolutely fantastic without the gi, he has decent reach, and very bad striking. He has won everything that matters in grappling, a couple of times.

Jacare is the second brazilian to ever workout. He has won everything, and found ways to beat Roger on points a few times (but he has lost the majority of their meetings). His striking is decent, but his chin is very suspect.

Marcelo Garcia is dead or something. Who cares.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Acinonyx posted:

Do yourself a favor and get a mouth guard from your dentist. Best $20 I ever spent. People don't even know I have it in because it fits so well and doesn't affect my breathing or speech (mine is just the upper).

I thought just the upper didn't provide any protection against having your brains scrambled.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

colonel_korn posted:

For grappling all you really need is something that will prevent your teeth from chipping if you catch a stray elbow or something.

i don't have access to my online journals right now but the literature is pretty split on the use of mouthguards to help prevent concussions when wrestling.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

Correct, people never wear long sleeve jackets and pants in real life.

You're not gonna be good in nogi or mma unless you do some training nogi and mma, but you said

Which is obviously untrue since the majority of people who are top sub guys in no-gi and mma spend most of their time training gi

ricardo arona is the best no gi grappler of all time, and instead of doing pajama grappling he surfs and tans.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Against who?

i think he lost in the final to romulo and it wasn't a world championship.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

what are some moves I can do when the guy turtles up? I been rolling with a guy around my level who is little weaker then me and I can get him into that position alot, yet if I try to take his back I just end up on my back eventually and he is in my guard.
there is only one technique available from this position

http://www.s-t-f-u.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/olympic_oil_check.jpg

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
only three hodge trophys? sanderson is a chump.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
but seriously, sanderson is like america's karelin. why have i never heard of him?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

more along the lines of TUF where the debate was that he would be a lovely coach because 'be a genetic freak" is not a teachable skill.

My POV is that even if Lesnar was technique wizard, he will be a lovely coach because he is an introverted person with no real interest in any kind of team.

you can't teach genetics, but you can teach someone how to bust their rear end in the weight room.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
"weightlifting" is more useful for MMA than "brazilian jiu-jitsu" as evidenced by lesnar/mir II.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
there are only six moves in bjj so if it was taught in an effective way everyone would have a blackbelt in 2 months and renzo gracie wouldn't be able to be that fat anymore.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

imtheism posted:

Also, there are a lot of crappy blackbelts out there now. Getting a BB in bjj 10 years ago was an amazing amount of work. Even 5 years ago, getting a BB from a respected teacher was pretty tough. While still better than pretty much any other martial art, the bjj lineage is starting to break down and become more about making money/belt factories for the masses than it is staying true to the sport.

except a lot of those "bad" black belts now would completely tool the blackbelts from 15 years ago.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Yuns posted:

Other stuff that has gotten guys dq'd or threatened with dq include not wearing underwear (Bill Cooper lost in the finals of the Mundials brown belt absolute for this after he got his pants pulled down exposing himself), attacking your opponent after losing a match (Samuel Braga lost a silver medal for this), wrong colored belt (Koral purple belts are too light and so people were forced to change to a darker belt but I don't think anyone was actually dq'd), etc. IBJJF runs a relatively tight ship.

DQ (showed dick)

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

One handed, not one armed. He had about 20 pounds and a few years of college wrestling experience I'd guess, I always get hosed up by wrestlers stronger than me, two hands or not. Super weird getting the bad arm shoved across your throat / chin - couldn't really hand fight my way out of it.
do you reflexively cringe every time that thing came near your face

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fawker posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Marcelo Garcia (widely considered to be top p4p grappler)has a really sneaky arm drag game.

you are partially wrong. marcelo garcia is no longer considered a grappler.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Bohemian Nights posted:

Tell us why, Gomi Pile, tell us why

he hasn't been very active in competitions in the last few years because he's "training for mma" which means beating up goons in a gym somewhere.

and i read about the tennis ball squeeze in A Book, so its got to be legitimate.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

This was true for like a year in 2008 when he was training at ATT, then he got tired of DREAM telling him every single event "You'll be fighting on this one!" and then never calling him, so he moved back to NYC and started winning tournaments again.

oh. i assumed he was still sitting by the phone bleeding uncontrollably

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

I think you have to make a distinction between guys that just don't know better, and actual assholes. A lot of people just don't get it and will figure things out in time. A smaller number are straight up jerks with terrible ego problems. The nice thing is that the straight up jerks usually quit in a month, or remain white belts for 2 years then give up and quit.

actually the dude who says "let's roll light" then ends up spitting and sputtering while trying to rape choke you is the only cool guy in the gym

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
isn't mario sperry like 50? and fat?

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fawker posted:

How can I watch these things? Im guessing ADCC usually has a stream of some sort that we pay for?

have you ever watched competitive grappling on the teevee? its the absolute worst.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
roger gracie continues to duck ricardo arona

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
conversely, no one can ever accuse arona of ducking.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
go to the princeton IT department and start spitting on dudes until a guy who smells like anime grabs you.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
why do judo guys call their moves by japanese names when they don't speak japanese.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's not like a "bodydrop hipthrow" or whatever would make more sense than something in japanese. If I care enough about the post to wonder what a word means, I just google it, and there's usually a ton of animated gifs or videoes available immediately.
Omaplata doesn't make much sense either, you know?

actually it would make a lot more sense because i know what body, drop, hip and throw mean.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

So I'm just going to walk past his legs? Why would I do that?

to get past his guard.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

What is a "guard" and why do I want to "get past" it?

a guard is something that exists to protect from harm or danger. you would like to get past it to cause harm or danger. your motivation for this is some kind of social issue + you are really upset about this weird rash on your left ball

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
you have a serious skin condition and know 8 words in japanese. using this you are able to make some terrible posts on the internet

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

Because that's what they are called.

Also, this argument pops up like every ten pages.

i don't think this discussion has ever happened in this thread.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Paul Pot posted:

rheinhold please clear up the terminology in the a/t thread...i've finally found this one more approachable and would like to show my gratitude with a fake avatar cert: CD9FT80-0C3G3F5B7D-CDA71

don't read that thread. its really really really bad

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

My point is that every activity, be it knitting or BJJ, has a specialized vocabulary. Bitching about people using that vocabulary rather than just ignoring the posts or looking it up is stupid. There's even a link in the OP to Judoinfo, which breaks down every single technique and also every single japanese word used.

i learned knitting by 1p2k sorta thing because purl and knit are words that exist in english.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

KryonikMessiah posted:

Don't see the big deal. I'm more annoyed by annoying gimmick posters who post twice in a row and decline to edit their posts than someone calling Judo techniques by the name they are taught as by every governing body out there. 30 posts for this poo poo. Really.

I couldn't imagine what you think my "gimmick" is outside of "making posts"

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
nothing sickens more than seeing posts get made + displayed on a platform that exists only to accept and display posts

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

Par Terre. Suplex. Half Nelson. Turk. Repechage

These are all wrestling terms that require a knowledge of wrestling, making no sense without that context or looking them up.

ref's position, throw, chicken wing, muslim, loser's bracket

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
but it does make sense if its standard internationally i.e. polish guys are calling it nwaza or whatever. it just seems needlessly burdensome, but if the reason is "just because" then the reason is "just because"

i asked an earnest question as to why people refer to judo terms by their japanese names (when nobody ever posts about BJJ using brazillian names etc.). i don't know why you guys got so upset.

Gomi Pile fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 3, 2011

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
do NOT ask why we do this seemingly illogical thing. there will be consequences!

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
that was a joke i made in the post.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
i've explained my judo credentials before and i assure you that they are quite impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

dokomoy posted:

Gomi what are your thoughts on the names of moves from 10th planet jiu jitsu

they are alternately funny, very sad, and also very funny.