Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Pwny_Xpress posted:

So all the hubbub about Overeem winning a grappling tournament or w/e was with a gi? Also, how prestigious is that win really?
Overeem won the ADCC European trials (ADCC is the world's most prestigious no gi/submission wrestling competition) which is no gi. It's quite impressive for someone who is mainly known for his striking, if not as impressive as taking a medal in the actual ADCC and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

shizen posted:

ah thanks for clearing some of that up especially the neck thing. We do a lot of those shoulder rolls for warm up and I am not that good at them. Also I get choked a lot and tense up instead of just tapping right away.

how long does it take where I can actually be somewhat competitive with my partners? These were no gi classes so I'm not sure what level they were but I am pretty sure I was the only true beginner there this week.

Any other tips for a beginner?
On the neck stuff, one exercise you can do without a mat is neck "push-ups", meaning lying on your back and keep your head off the floor and alternate rotating your head from side to side and up and down. Keep that up for five or so minutes. It sucks.

Then, start doing neck bridges.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I pay 350 USD for a semester, which gives me top black belt instruction twice per day if I had the time. Sweden is weird like that.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Cool video with Terere who is aiming to return to competition this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQwc3BSBVw&feature=player_embedded#at=32

widunder
May 2, 2002

shizen posted:

So I'm looking to sign up for a new gym next month which will offer more gi classes from a higher level instructor-since you were all mentioned how gi is superior-. I have never done gi but have been doing the no gi classes for about a month. What type of gi should I get for a beginner? Also is it pretty much unacceptable to get a colored gi if your low level?
No, that's fine. Only blue, white or black are elligble for competition so get one of those. I like Korals.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I sat down and tried to evaluate my guard game yesterday and realized that I only go for the De La Riva all the time without really thinking about it. What are some good sweeps from it? All I do is try to trip the non-hooked leg or take the back.

widunder
May 2, 2002
So ADCC just confirmed two superfights in September (I might be going depending on another goon :unsmith: ). Sperry/Renzo which should be hilarious, and a Royler/Eddie Bravo rematch which is just dumb but funny.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=216445948384474&id=150595014969568

widunder
May 2, 2002
A heads-up: so far ADCC has confirmed that they've invited Leozinho, Ryan Hall and Roger to this year's event.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Konstantin posted:

Plus, there is a lot less risk of getting hurt in grappling, you don't want a name fighter out six months because he broke his hand fighting in some random Z-League.
I dunno if this is strictly true, grappling can be pretty drat injury-frequent.

widunder
May 2, 2002

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

Hi guys.

Anyone planning to go to ADCC in Nottingham, UK in September?

The only info on tickets I can find is http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131641353574376 from a company called Masaru Fight Co. but I have no idea what the prices range from and which matches are taking place when.

In case I can't make both days, any idea which day the Bravo/Gracie match is taking place?
I might be.

Don't bet on there being a Royler/Bravo match.

widunder
May 2, 2002
for 400 bucks per semester, i get three classes per day of bjj plus three cf classes per week. bb instructor. Sweden is cheap for martial arts, with bjj probably being one of the most expensive one. my friend pays like 100 for boxing with a similar package.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Rids! posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is Cystic Fibrosis but it's probably Cross-Fit.
Yeah, crossfit, was on the cell, sorry.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Ed O'Neill recounts his first BJJ class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSSt5OQ4zHc

widunder
May 2, 2002

Scabscar posted:

i keep forgetting gomi will be at ADCC this year and it makes me smile each time i see it.
8. Marcelo Garcia(confirmed invitation)
9. Gunnar Nelson (confirmed invitation)
10. Leo Viera(confirmed invitation)
11. JT Torres (Lloyd Irvin Facebook)

Tough crowd.

widunder
May 2, 2002
If I'm an A2 in Koral, will A2 fit well in P&S?

widunder
May 2, 2002

fatherdog posted:

oh goddammit

The month of ADCC is like this every year, I swear.
I'm going to see this, drat that sucks. Still psyched, though.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Apparently there will be some random drug testing at ADCC. This is a good thing.

widunder
May 2, 2002
going to this in three hours :cool:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Paul Harris, the super champion of our hearts. his fights were like usual, dumb, controversial and fantastic. check out his second one especially. restarting, and re-setting, with a completely locked in heel hook? i wonder what'll happen

widunder
May 2, 2002
after having shaken his giant hands, i can safely say than lister has put on a lot of muscle. dude looks absolutely sculpted.

widunder
May 2, 2002
The best throw was Palhares' first or second fight when his turtle defense (I think) was simply standing up, launching another grown man into the air.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Not sure if they will be releasing anything longer and official but I really like the HD clips from some of the matches at this year's ADCC that are turning up in the interviews

Gunnar Nelson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGLrPHVkpw&feature=related

Ryan Hall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eskluB5Yxo&feature=related

Jeff Glover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-GATUqxLA&feature=related

widunder
May 2, 2002
Hey Budovideos uploaded the dumb Palhares match that started all the controversy at this year's ADCC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FohRibjEbgI

widunder
May 2, 2002

origami posted:

Do BJJ guys cut weight for ADCC? If so, how much?
Most, Palhares probably cuts quite a bit. He almost didn't make weight in fact. ADCC was sort of odd this year with what I think was continous weigh-ins?

To be frank, other than the dumb (but funny) hug-and-slap-gate this year, the Avellan match was really none other's fault than the ref's.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Something being high percentage can reasonably only be measured in relation to the number of attempts of the same move. Something can subjectively be more or less complicated, but as cortx pointed out, that is wholly dependent on the executioner - it just so happens that armbars apparently are simpler to do for most people. This really doesn't equal them being a more high percentage move.

widunder
May 2, 2002

james earl pwns posted:

Sometimes people don't attempt certain moves often, because they're less likely to work :ssh:
Yeah but the likeliness of them working is a matter of skill of whoever tries to do them. You can argue all day that there's some sort of objective measure of difficulty where, let's say, an achilles lock is easier than a kneebar or something, but it will be an exercise in futility.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I, for whatever reason, can't finish triangles to save my life, I usually switch to an armbar or an omoplata or whatever. When will you start to draw the conclusion that a triangle is a low-percentage move? When 10,000 people have the same problem? When we stop seeing triangles in ADCC? The only somewhat measurable variable is the skill of the grappler.

widunder
May 2, 2002

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

edit: And if you think "High Percentage Submission" means anything other than "Submissions that you are more statistically likely to win a competition with", you're confusing terms.
I don't want to continue this dumb argument, but this is really the krux of the issue. I'm not of the opinion (and who says that you're correct anyway?) that this is precisely what "high percentage" refers to. The whole reason why I'm annoyed at the people calling cortx (and me by extension) sperglords is because "high percentage" is an incredibly dumb term to begin with. I'm not arguing that a banana split is an easier and more simple submission to pull off than armbars and I would never tell you that you shouldn't make armbars/triangles/RNCs your priority. It's just that "high percentage" is as a dumb concept as "p4p" is for rankings.

widunder
May 2, 2002

james earl pwns posted:

It isn't a dumb concept at all, everyone normal intuitively knows what it means and its a useful word to describe certain things and situations, only sperglords get angry about the semantics of it
if you by "intuitively" mean "people who don't actually think about what expressions mean and would gladly say dumb poo poo like 'i could care less'" then yeah maybe

widunder
May 2, 2002

dokomoy posted:

I think there's a couple reasons you saw so many heel hooks at ADCC. One of the main reasons is that you can set them up from almost anywhere(top, bottom, in the guard, past the guard etc). The other reason is that a properly applied heel hook doesn't give you enough time to defend and escape, if it's on it's basically over.
Yeah these are two pretty good points I think. You can hit a heel hook from loving anywhere, including whenever you're transitioning out of lovely positions (hitting one from when you're shrimping out of mount is the greatest)

widunder
May 2, 2002

TheKingslayer posted:

Well if I knew that, it wouldn't be a secret.
we got you covered

widunder
May 2, 2002
why do 10th planet dudes wear gi pants

widunder
May 2, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

comfortable to grapple in and less skin on skin contact would be my guess.
But it gives you a false sense of friction which you won't have when competing in no gi

widunder
May 2, 2002

Who Gotch Ya posted:

It's probably more like "well we bought these gis before we did no-gi only so at least I can get some use out of the pants."

You should be allowed to wear pretty much whatever the gently caress you want anyway, like ADCC.
There are some "for everyone" non-ibjjf tournaments that give you some lenience in dress-code though.
didn't Bravo abandon the gi a pretty long time ago? It just strikes me as weird since I never see non-10th planet people in clips with that sort of rigout other than those submission 101 jerks. If anything, I see no offensive benefit (since you can't grab the fabric) other than possibly the hygienic aspect.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Ridleys Revenge posted:

When someone goes head and arm from the top of your guard, control their hips with your feet
Yeah it's basically impossible for someone to control from within your closed guard like that, save for passing or a can opener or something similar. Beginners who go for kimuras from inside my guard is good fun.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Stuck in Elevator posted:

So I've entered my first submission grappling tournament for this weekend, after previously competed in two gi tournys. I have six days to learn what the hell is going on in nogi, how to defend toeholds and kneebars, and most importantly, how to avoid being Twister'd.

Any tips for transitioning from solely gi to nogi? The comp isn't IBJJF rules either, if it goes five minutes the ref just awards to the most active fighter, so no hanging out in side control watching the minutes melt away for this guy.
Hunt for over and underhooks. You won't have anything to hold onto. Also, don't trust your position too much, the guy will be sweaty as hell and just slip out.

E: Sparring no gi with guys who only have done gi is the greatest. Leg locks are god mode.

widunder fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 31, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

Taratang posted:

Rear naked choke is very hard to get with the gi in the way, just go for the collar. Clock choke is great for punishing habitual turtlers and bow and arrow is very easy from any kind of over/under back control (probably the most common sub I get in competition in fact). Just be sure to keep the elbow of your choking arm in tight to prevent your arm being pulled over their head and you're golden.
I read somewhere that the bow and arrow is like the most common choke in high level gi competition.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Yeah I've seen those a few times before, I've never been able to pull them off though.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Dante posted:

That sentence is in reply to "start having champions come from all over the world", which it will, just like Rugby and Cricket even though though Rugby isn't really popular outside of a few nations.
In terms of number of countries (even if those countries just happen to be old Commonwealth nations and France), I'd say rugby is pretty popular in a bunch of different places. I think the world championships is the third most watched event behind the football world cup and the Summer olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
Arona alert

http://instagr.am/p/ILgaQtMDnF/