Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Since there really isn't any other thread to put this in...

Two girls qualified for the Iowa Wrestling tournament, the first two ever. Just qualifying is a pretty big deal. The tournament started this morning and one of them got pinned in the first round against a ranked guy.

The other won, because her opponent, who is 35-4 and had a decent shot at making the finals, forfeited due to not wanting to wrestle a girl, saying that wrestling a girl disagreed with his faith (http://iowaprepsports.com/featured/2011/02/17/linn-mar-student-cites-conscience-faith-in-not-wrestling-girl).

Stupid kid, hope he loses his next match at never qualifies again. Leave the tournament to people that actually want to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grifter posted:

I don't know much about wrestling, but I assume that people wrestle those of all school years, right? The article says the girls are a sophomore and a freshman, so that means that they may be able to duplicate at least getting into the tournament quite a few times. That's cool.

Yeah, one is a sophomore and the other is a Freshman. If they can stay at 112 they'll have a decent shot at getting back to the tournament the next few years. At 119 and above I don't think they'd be able to be very competitive. At 103 and 112 the muscle mass difference isn't enough to overcome with technique.

A big thing a whole bunch of the comments are ignoring is that you don't just show up at the state tournament, you qualify through your district. Only the top two from each of 8 districts goes to State. So these aren't just two random girls who decided to show up and wrestle, they earned their place by getting first or second at districts. Lots of really decent wrestlers never make it to State.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Iowa is also a tough rear end wrestling state, so they didn't just show up and take a gimme.

There was a second girl who qualified in the same weight class. Her opponents just went out and wrestled her and nobody made a big deal about it.

This kid's dad is apparently the preacher at the local evengelical church. I kind of feel sorry for him because its pretty clear he didn't have a choice in the matter (though who knows what he would have done if he had), and he had a very decent shot at making the finals, now the absolute best he can do is third. It's safe to say he'll be looking back on this with regret in the years to come. But for now, his parents won't have him rubbing up against no sweaty girl.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Updating on the wrestling stuff I posted yesterday. Both Jesus boy and the girl he refused to wrestle got eliminated in the round of 12, and won't place.

The three guys who went out and competed against *gasp* a girl are all alive in the conselation bracket and will place 8th at worst.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Patient_Toffee posted:

So with the Olympics coming up next year I was looking at getting some tickets for the wrestling events. I know very little about wrestling but the videos posted in these threads are always entertaining, I'm just wondering which is generally more entertaining Greco or Freestyle? And who are the big names I should look out for?

Greco is going to have more big throws, Freestyle more explosive doublelegs and the like. Rule changes in recent years have really neutered them though, so I'd reccomend going to earlier rounds when you'll see more mismatches between the competitors leading to more big moves and touch falls.

If you want to see diseased pajama wrestling, go to a Judo event instead.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

I think the judging at IBJJF events(at least for black belts) has gotten much better over the last few years(50/50 isn't near the debacle it once was, very few big gently caress ups by refs etc). However in smaller tournaments over the last few years I've seen any number of debacles including refs talking on the phone during a match, a ref not seeing that a competitor was asleep and numerous instances of refs not giving points for positions held for waaaaaaay longer than 3 seconds. The problems not going to go away until promoters stop reusing terrible referees.

The reffing is a big part of the reason I rarely compete in BJJ. As much as I hate the million rules Judo has, the reffing is way better. For example, I often will ref at local competitions. I had to become a black belt before I could ref. I also had to pass a written exam. Then they let me ref only juniors for my first few tournaments (which actually worked out well since that allowed me to still compete in seniors). Before each tournament we have a meeting for about a half hour going over any rule changes or clarifications and giving anybody a chance to ask questions about any situation they can dream up. Then when we go out and ref the most senior guy will often not even take the mat all day. He'll just sit in the corner with a notepad and call you over after every match to go over what went well, and what went wrong. Plus there are always three refs on the mat, which gives you confidence that you'll be overruled if you gently caress up.

And this is for local tournaments, only after a few years of local tournaments am I now being allowed to even think about reffing a regional event.

The refs at every BJJ tournament I've been to are just random guys who may or may not have even been given a sheet listing the rules.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'd roll with you in a flowing white gown ANY DAY. Chicks love flowing white gowns.

Iowa State's wrestling team used to come out for warm-ups and introductions wearing ISU themed bathrobes. I still think that was pretty bad-rear end.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OrangeCrush posted:

Tonight I wore my Koral MKM for the first time. Ive always been a guy who said, man gently caress those expensive gi's, my fuji and gameness are just as good.

Wrong, the korals are seriously worth every loving penny.

I felt the same way I wore a good Mizuno double weave. I felt like I was wearing a suit of armor. Getting a grip on me was like trying to grab cardboard.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In case anybody is interested, the Big XII Wrestling championships are being streamed live by Fox Sports Midwest at the link below.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/pages/stream/0

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

not me brah I treat every match like the finals of the mundials and I have never, ever lost or tapped to anyone. Ever. The keys to jiu-jitsu are, in order:

bench pressing.

Tattoos.

Stylishness of your gi.

TapouT shirts, you forgot to include the sweetness of your TapouT shirts. I'd put that at #3 at worst.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

I'll get on it today and post it tomorrow.

Sweet, I'm traveling for work this week so was going to write something up tommorow while bored and drinking in my hotel room, but I'd be glad to see someone else's take instead.

I'm morally opposed to Iowa or Penn State winning, so I'll be a huge Cornell and Okie State fan this weekend.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

I'm torn because I hate all 4 teams, Penn State the least. I don't think there are three teams I hate more than Iowa, Cornell, and Ok State.

I understand the other three, but what did Cornell ever do?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Oklahoma St. 133, Iowa 76, Iowa St. 68, Oklahoma 65, Lehigh 26, Michigan St. 25, UNI 21, Penn St. 21, Illinois 20, Michigan 20, Minnesota 20, Wisconsin 18, Pittsburgh 16, Ohio St. 14, Oregon St. 12, Cornell 11, Indiana 11, Nebraska 10, Cal St. Bakersfield 9, Lock Haven 9, Northwestern 9, Arizona St. 8, Clarion 8, Syracuse 7, Cornell College 6, North Carolina 5, North Carolina St. 5, Penn 5, West Virginia 5, Bloomsburg 4, Edinboro 4, Fresno St. 4, Missouri 4, Ohio 4, Purdue 4, Clemson 3, Colorado 3, Harvard 3, Navy 3, Pitt.-Johnstown 3, Waynesburg 3, Army 2, Boise St. 2, Cal Poly 2, Central Okla. 2, East Stroudsburg 2, Maryland 2, Northern Colo. 2, Oregon 2, Portland St. 2, Southern Ill.
2, Southwestern Okla. 2, Stanford 2, Temple 2, Toledo 2, Washington 2, Yale 2, Adams St., Air Force, American, Auburn, California, UC Davis, Central Mich., Colorado St., Concordia-M’head, Hofstra, Indiana St., Kansas St., Montclair St., TCNJ, Northern Ill., Princeton, Slippery
Rock, Tennessee, UCLA, Western Ill., Western Mich., Wyoming, 1 each.

It's saddening to look at that list and realize that a large portion of those schools no longer have wrestling programs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rids! posted:

So does folkstyle wrestling really have even more rules than judo?

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-3953-2010-2011-ncaa-wrestling-rules-book-2-year-publication-due-september-2009.aspx

162 pages

NCAA Wrestling Rulebook posted:

3.15.2 Badgering—Coach or Team Member. Badgering the referee by the coaching staff or any member of the team shall not be permitted. Failure to comply shall be considered questioning the referee’s judgment and shall be penalized according to Rule 3.13.4.
The best rule:

NCAA Wrestling Rulebook posted:

A neatly trimmed mustache that does not extend below the line of the lower lip is permissible. (See Rule 7.4.1.2.)

Freestyle wrestling is the worst though.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 14, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

Actually he has 4

Edit- I'm wrong he has 4 outstanding wrestler awards. Maybe this is why I can't crush an apple with one hand like a real man.

Stephen Neal won it Sanderson's freshman year. He was a returning champion who also won freestyle worlds. He was so athletic that after he retired from wrestling he was invited to the Patriot's training camp even though he hadn't played football since High School. He's now a pro bowl caliber guard and has been their starter for years.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

he also beat Lesnar.

Lesnar was a decent wrestler who was just huge and strong as hell. He was able to dominate pretty much everybody because there were very few guys who could compete against his strength. There were a few smaller guys, like Wes Hand from Iowa, that were sufficently better at wrestling than Lesnar that they split their matches. But a guy like Neal who was both an incredibly good wrestler and had sufficent strength to at least hold his own against Lesnar would beat him every time. It's just that there were very few guys who were strong enough to overcome Lesnar's sheer strength.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

There is some speculation that they stacked the one side of the 125 bracket and ranked Robles #1 over the returning NCAA champion to give a clear shot for Robles for ESPN.

That's just because Iowa fans are horrible people that are incapable of believing that, just maybe, the seeding committee didn't think their guy deserved the #1 spot. So it has to be a conspiracy...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Adding to the NCAA Tournament talk, the entire tournament will be streamed live on ESPN3. The schedule is below, all times Eastern.

Thursday, March 17 (Round 1) 11 a.m.
Thursday, March 17 (Round 2) 6:30 p.m
Friday, March 18 (Quarterfinals) 10:30 a.m. - Also will be broadcast on ESPNU
Friday, March 18 (Semifinals) 7 p.m. - Also will be broadcast on ESPNU
Saturday, March 19 (Medal Round) 11 a.m. - Also will be broadcast on ESPNU
Saturday, March 19 (Finals) 7:30 p.m. - Also will be broadcast on ESPN

I'm not sure if they will be including the conselations, or only the championship brackets. Note that the Quarterfinals and on will be on ESPNU as well, and the finals will be on ESPN on Saturday night.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Since I'm an Iowa State fan, here's my take on the five guys we qualified

Chris Drouin (141) - A former All-American at Arizona State, he transfered to ISU this year after a coaching change at ASU. He was doing pretty well until he got a concusion back in January and missed almost the entire dual season. Since coming back he has been decent, but nowhere near as good. He actually did pretty badly at the Big XII championships but was given a wild card berth. He drew the #9 seed for the first round. It's possible he'll catch fire and AA, but it is more likely he'll go 1-2 or 2-2 and not even make the round of 12. Stretch for Drioun is low level AA. Sucks because before the injury he was looking like a lock for Round of 12 at least.

Jon Reader (174) - Iowa State's only #1 seed, he is undefeated and very rarely been challanged this year. He has majored decisioned a number of ranked guys and has a win over another one of the top 4 seeds. He's AA'd twice but was upset in the first round last year. Reader is on a mission and I think he'll be the National Champion this year. Barring an injury, I can't see him getting lower thaan 3rd at worst.

Richard Shafer (184) - A walk-on who got shoved into the line-up this year after the fallout from Cael Sanderson leaving for Penn State, he isn't exactly a world-beater, but has improved greatly throughout the season and beat a ranked guy to get his spot in Philly. He got extremely lucky with the draw and has a 22-14 guy from Arizona State in the first round, a very winnable match. I see him going 0-2 or 1-2 and not placing, but hopefully scoring a few team points. Stretch for Shafer is to go 2-2

Jerome Ward (197) - Seeded 11th. Jerome is the most frusterating wrestler in the world to watch. He'll beat a top ranked guy one night and then lose to a scrub the next. Also, his matches almost all end up being 3-1 nailbiters no matter who he's up against. I don't really have a prediction for Jerome because he could go 0-2 just as easily as he could end up being an AA. All I know is he'll cause coach Jackson to have a stroke before the tournament is over.

Kyle Simonson (285) - Unseeded, Simonson is small for a heavyweight and that costs him a lot of matches. He drew the #7 seeded guy from Iowa in the first round. Rasing won by 1 point when they wrestled at the begining of December, but both have improved greatly since then. Also, Simonson injured his back about a month ago so I'm not sure how healthy he'll be. I predict he'll go 1-2 or 2-2. As a stretch he might reach the round of 12 is he gets lucky with his pairings.

Iowa State was in position to be top 10 this year, but then our second best wrestler injured his elbow right before the tournament, and his back-up (who is no slouch) sprained his ankle very badly at the Big 12s. So losing two AA caliber guys at 165 killed our chances. So all our hopes just ride on Reader making it to the top of the podium. Next year will be much better as the effects of Cael Sanderson leaving (and our subsequent loss of 1.5 recruiting classes) begin to deminish.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If you only watch one session other than the finals, I'd reccomend the "Round of 12", which is the losers of the quarterfinals against the guys who have fought through the conselation bracket. This tends to be some of the best wrestling of the tournament as these guys are fighting their asses off since the winners have assured themselves All American status and the losers go home.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

This is, this is my horse in the race. Go Guard Pulling Gophers!

Question: how much weight do these guys typically cut? Like if I weigh 155-165 what weight class is closest to my size?

They have severely restricted weight cutting in the past decade or so, in the past you'd likely be looking at 125 or 133. Nowadays weight cutting has to be more gradual (You're only allowed to lose like 1.5% of your body weight in a week, or something like that) and they do hydration testing.

That being said, guys still do a lot of weight cutting, just not to the suicidal level people did in years past. It's pretty comparable to what an MMA guy will do. For example, our 165 pounder walks around at about 200 in the offseason.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Good lord. I'm 6ft 1, 160-ish with 6-8% body fat, I can't imagine the kind of diet and then water cutting it would take to reach a competitive weight. Granted I look more like a Wide Receiver or point guard than a wrestler or MMA fighter.

If you're already that low on bodyfat you wouldn't be able to cut too much. I'm not sure what the level is for college, but high school was right around 6 or 8 percent. I can't imagine it is much lower for college. So there is an absolute minimum you can get away with between your fat percentage and hydration level. So you'd probably be looking more at like 149. 20-30 years ago you would have been cutting a lot more though.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OrangeCrush posted:

prob 135

The weight classes in college (which you could also see from Mandragon's posts on this and the last page), are:
125/133/141/149/157/165/174/184/197/285

For High School they are:
103/112/119/125/130/135/140/145/152/160/171/189/215/275

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 17, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Man, the night before NCAA's is like Christmas Eve. I can't wait for the next three days! This is far and away the biggest diseased innapropriate touching competition in the country.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here's how thing stand after Session 1 this morning. A few seeded guys went down, but no huge first round upsets. Since they haven't had the first round conselations yet these team scores are kind of misleading.

The ESPN3 streams worked really well this morning, I reccomend everybody give it a watch for Session 2 tonight. Wrestling starts at 6:30 EDT and will probably go for around 3 hours.

NCAA Wrestling Results posted:

Team Scores
1. Penn State: 20
2. Iowa: 18
3. Cornell: 16.5
4. Wisconsin: 15
5. Minnesota, Oklahoma State: 14

#1 Anthony Robles (Arizona State) v. US Steven Keith (Harvard)
#8 Jarrod Patterson (Oklahoma) v. US Mark Rappo (Penn)
#5 Zach Sanders (Minnesota) v. #12 Jarrod Garnett (Virginia Tech)
#4 James Nicholson (Old Dominion) v. US Ben Kjar (Utah Valley)
#3 Brandon Precin (Northwestern) v. US Joey Langel (Rutgers)
#6 Nic Bedelyon (Kent State) v. #11 Frank Perrelli (Cornell)
#7 Ryan Mango (Stanford) v. US Anthony Zanetta (Pittsburgh)
#2 Matt McDonough (Iowa) v. US Sean Boyle (Michigan)

#1 Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State) v. US Levi Mele (Northwestern)
#8 Mike Grey (Cornell) v. #9 Devin Carter (Virginia Tech)
#5 Lou Ruggirello (Hofstra) v. #12 Kyle Hutter (Old Dominion)
#4 Tyler Graff (Wisconsin) v. US Fred Santaite (Boston)
#3 Andrew Long (Penn State) v. US David Thorn (Minnesota)
#6 Tony Ramos (Iowa) v. #11 Scott Sentes (Central Michigan)
#7 BJ Futrell (Illinois) v. US Flint Ray (Utah Valley)
#2 Andrew Hochstrasser (Boise State) v. US Kevin Smith (Buffalo)

#1 Kellen Russell (Michigan) v. US Michael Mangrum (Oregon State)
#8 Zack Bailey (Oklahoma) v. #9 Cole VonOhlen (Air Force)
#5 Montell Marion (Iowa) v. US Zack Kemmerer (Penn)
#4 Jimmy Kennedy (Illinois) v. US Chris Diaz (Virginia Tech)
#3 Boris Novachkov (Cal Poly) v. US Matt Bonson (Lock Haven)
#6 Andrew Alton (Penn State) v. #11 Matt Mariacher (American)
#7 Tyler Nauman (Pittsburgh) v. #10 Todd Schavrien (Missouri)
#2 Mike Thorn (Minnesota) v. US Nick Nelson (Virginia)

#1 Darrion Caldwell (NC State) v. US Eric Grajales (Michigan)
#8 Ganbayar Sanjaa (American) v. US Cole Schmitt (Wisconsin)
#5 Jamal Parks (Oklahoma State) v. US Eric Terrazas (Illinois)
#4 Kyle Dake (Cornell) v. US Torsten Gillespie (Edinboro)
#3 Kevin LeValley (Bucknell) v. US Scott Sakaguchi (Oregon State)
#6 Jason Chamberlain (Boise State) v. US Joey Napoli (Lehigh)
#7 Mario Mason (Rutgers) v. #10 Kurt Kinser (Indiana)
#2 Frank Molinaro (Penn State) v. US Derek Valenti (Virginia)

#1 Adam Hall (Boise State) v. US Colton Salazar (Purdue)
#8 Jason Welch (Northwestern) v. #9 James Fleming (Clarion)
#5 Jesse Dong (Virginia Tech) v. #12 Paul Young (Indiana)
#4 Bubba Jenkins (Arizona State) v. US Mark Lewandowski (Buffalo)
#3 David Taylor (Penn State) v. US David Bonin (Northern Iowa)
#6 Derek St. John (Iowa) v. #11 Walter Peppelman (Harvard)
#7 Bryce Saddoris v. #10 Daryl Cocozzo (Rutgers)
#2 Steve Fittery (American) v. US Johnny Greisheimer (Edinboro)

#1 Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska) v. US Justin Lister (Binghamton)
#8 Scott Winston (Rutgers) v. #9 Justin Kerber (Cornell)
#5 Colt Sponseller (Ohio State) v. US Eren Civan (Columbia)
#4 Josh Asper (Maryland) v. US Stephen Burak (Penn)
#3 Tyler Caldwell (Oklahoma) v. US Donnie Jones (West Virginia)
US Peter Yates (Virginia Tech) v. US Paul Gillespie (Hofstra)
#7 Shane Onufer (Wyoming) v. US Jim Resnick (Rider)
#2 Andrew Howe (Wisconsin) v. US Brandon Hatchett (Lehigh)

#1 Jon Reader (Iowa State) v. US Luke Manuel (Purdue)
#8 Mike Letts (Maryland) v. #9 Ethen Lofthouse (Iowa)
#5 Chris Henrich (Virginia) v. #12 Mike Benefiel (Oklahoma State)
#4 Colby Covington (Oregon State) v. US Jake Swartz (Boise State)
#3 Mack Lewnes (Cornell) v. US Nick Purdue (Ohio)
#6 Ben Bennett (Central Michigan) v. US Curran Jacobs (Michigan State)
#7 Nick Amuchastegui (Stanford) v. #10 Nick Heflin (Ohio State)
#2 Ed Ruth (Penn State) v. US Scott Glasser (Minnesota)

#1 Chris Honeycutt (Edinboro) v. US Luke Rebertus (Navy)
#8 Kevin Steinhaus (Minnesota) v. #9 Quentin Wright (Penn State)
#5 Joe LeBlanc (Wyoming) v. #12 Grant Gambrall (Iowa)
#4 Travis Rutt (Wisconsin) v. US Max Thomusseit (Pittsburgh)
#3 Steve Bosak (Cornell) v. US Jake Meredith (Arizona State)
#6 Ryan Loder (Northern Iowa) v. Diego Bencomo (Duke)
#7 Chris Perry (Oklahoma State) v. #10 Josh Ihnen (Nebraska)
#2 Robert Hamlin (Lehigh) v. US Dan Rinaldi (Rutgers)

#1 Cam Simaz (Cornell) v. US Andy Johnson (Nebraska)
#8 Matt Powless (Indiana) v. #9 Sonny Yohn (Minnesota)
#5 Luke Lofthouse (Iowa) v. #12 Zack Giesen (Stanford)
#4 Dustin Kilgore (Kent State) v. US Jay Hahn (Bucknell)
#3 Trevor Brandvold (Wisconsin) v. US John Hall (Boston)
#6 Micah Burak (Penn) v. #11 Jerome Ward (Iowa State)
#7 Zac Thomusseit (Pittsburgh) v. #10 Logan Brown (Purdue)
#2 Clayton Foster (Oklahoma State) v. US Joe Kennedy (Lehigh)

#1 Zach Rey (Lehigh) v. US David Marone (Virginia Tech)
#8 Tony Nelson (Minnesota) v. #9 Cameron Wade (Penn State)
#5 Dom Bradley (Missouri) v. #12 Eric Bugenhagen (Wisconsin)
US Levi Cooper (Arizona State) v. US Joseph Rizqallah (Michigan State)
#3 Ryan Flores (American) v. US Kevin Lester (Columbia)
#11 Tucker Lane (Nebraska) v. US Brendan Barlow (Kent State)
#7 Blake Rasing (Iowa) v. #10 Nathan Fernandez (Oklahoma)
#2 Jarod Trice (Central Michigan) v. US Ricky Alcala (Indiana)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

The 184 semis have a #9 and #12 seed vs each other. Also Ed Ruth lost because his opponent used an illegal ride a couple times that the ref didn't call and he had an injury default, real shame.

Yeah, you hate to see guys go down to injury at the NCAAs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
NCAA Finals tonight. 7:30 EDT on ESPN. Everyone should watch this rather than the UFC pre-lims. It'll be way more fun. Penn State has the team title wrapped up, but there is a lot of action to watch anyways.

Here's the line-ups:

125: #1 Anthony Robles (Arizona State) v. #2 Matt McDonough (Iowa)

McDonough is the returning champion and Robles is the feel good story. Robles is undeafeated and McDonough has avenged his only loss. I think this one will come down to whether or not McDonough has the right gameplan to avoid Robles' upper body strength. My prediction is McDonough will get this one.

133: #1 Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State) v. #2 Andrew Hochstrasser (Boise State)

Hochstrasser only one loss on the season... a 2-5 decision by Oliver in February. I give this one to Oliver.

141: #1 Kellen Russell (Michigan) v. #3 Boris Novachkov (Cal Poly)

Russel is undefeated and Novachkov has one loss, falling to Russel 2-3 back in December. This one is a tough call, but I have to give Russel the edge based on their last match. Wouldn't be suprised to see Boris pull it out though.

149: #2 Frank Molinaro (Penn State) v. #4 Kyle Dake (Cornell)

The only direct battle between the top two teams. Both guys have two losses, but Dake won 1-0 at the Southern Scuffle. This will be another close one, but I'll give it to Dake because I don't mind seeing Penn State lose a match.

157: #3 David Taylor (Penn State) v. #4 Bubba Jenkins (Arizona State)

Taylor is the anointed one, the heir to Cael Sanderson's legacy. Unless he gets Freshman jitters I can't see Taylor not winning this one.

165: #1 Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska) v. #3 Tyler Caldwell (Oklahoma)

Burroughs is a beast who has the best double leg in the country. Caldwell has lost twice to Burroughs this year but seems to have figured out how to defend against that shot. I give this one to Burroughs, but it'll likely be very close.

174: #1 Jon Reader (Iowa State) v. #7 Nick Amuchastegui (Stanford)

I'm an Iowa State guy, and Reader is carrying our flame, so I can't bet against him here. But Amuchastegui is very talented and is having one hell of a tournament and only has one loss all year. I'll be holding my breath the whole seven minutes. Go Cyclones!

184: #2 Robert Hamlin (Lehigh) v. #9 Quentin Wright (Penn State)

Hamlin won 3-2 when they met in December. Wright is another guy having a hell of a tournament though, so I have to give this one wo Wright.

197: #2 Clayton Foster (Oklahoma State) v. #4 Dustin Kilgore (Kent State)

I don't know much about either of these guys, so I'll go with the undefeated Foster.

285: #1 Zach Rey (Lehigh) v. #3 Ryan Flores (American)

These guys are pretty familiar with each other, in their 3 matches so far this season Rey has won twice. They've always been close but I have to give Rey the edge here.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Reader won, woohoo! National Champion! It was a down year for Iowa State wreslting, so it's great to still be able to say that we crowned a national champion!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

There are a couple of options for watching bjj tournaments(I have no idea about wrestling).

For wrestling the Big 10 network regularly shows matches, and they occasionally end up on ESPNU as well. In Iowa at least, Iowa Public Television also broadcasts a handful of meets each year. Also a lot of schools webcast their events (though that ussually costs some money). http://www.flowrestling.org/ also does a lot of broadcasting of events live on the web as well. Then at the end of the season ESPN ussually broadcasts the finals live.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

I'm a little sick at the moment, sniffly and some coughs. Would I be a big rear end in a top hat going to class tonight?

Yes. Don't be that guy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Angora posted:

When do you know you're too sick to roll? Because I almost always have congestion and intermittent coughing fits.

I only know not to go to jits right now because my snot is neon yellow instead of clear. But that's a pretty crappy way to judge how ill you are.

It's not how sick you are, it's how contagious you are. If you have allergies and are all stuffed up then roll to your heart's content, or if you're sick but have been antibiotics long enough to not have to worry about spreading. If you have a cold or the flu then stay home.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

colonel_korn posted:

This strikes me as being pretty stupid, one of the best ways to learn is sparring with guys who are better than you. I'm guessing they had problems with guys who are new spazzing out and hurting themselves (or others), but not letting new guys roll at all is really extreme.

I worked out a Gracie Barra school in LA for a while and what that means is they don't do free rolling in the begginer class (and you generally weren't allowed in the advanced class until you got your third stripe). The beginer class did roll out of positions, and you would stop the roll and switch places whenever anybody scored or got a sub. So it's not zero rolling, and while I did have some issues with how Gracie Barra operates, that wasn't one of them. It's a legit way to deal with newcomers in that type of setting.

They let me go to the advanced class without three stripes because of my background in Judo though. Just had me come to a saturday free sparring class the first week I was there to make sure I actually knew what I was doing, and after that I had an open invitation to the advanced class.

If Gracie Barra is your only option I say go for it. They are overpriced and focused on the business (contracts, a very strict curriculum, etc...) but the instructors do know what they are talking about and you will learn good BJJ. However, if you have other options in your area check them out first.

John Blaster posted:

It feels like it's the McDonald's of BJJ. I feel like I should be staying far away... Thoughts?

I wouldn't put Gracie Barra on the level of a McDojo. They do teach you real BJJ. It's just really expensive and the individual instructors have to follow the specific curriculum handed down from above. It's commercial like a McDojo, but not Bullshido.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 21, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

1st AD posted:

as I can barely execute the one sweep that I did learn today.

Which brings up my big problem with the Gracie Barra way of doing things (and the reason other than cost I reccomend checking out other places if they are available) - you'll work on that sweep this week, and then move on to another set of techniques next week. Never speak of that sweep again until the next time it comes up in the weekly rotation (either 10 or 12 weeks, don't remember for sure).

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

This is like every bjj place on the face of the planet, not just Gracie Barra. Nothing prevents you from continuing to work on that sweep next week.

Actually their format does prevent you from working on the sweep next week. Since you do all your rolls out of positions and every moment of class is structured, unless you are buying privates (at like $120 an hour), you won't have any chances to work on it for another few months.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Angora posted:

What? No.

That other guy just said they were rolling with one top one bottom starting from guard.

What the hell are you talking about?

This is how it works at a Gracie Barra Academy beginner class:
For positional rolling at the end of class, you start in whatever it was you were working on that day. In this case it was a sweep so you would start from guard.

For the roll, you go until someone scores (in this case with a sweep by the guy on bottom or a guard pass by the guy on top) or gets a sub. Then you stop immediatly.

You switch places, and repeat for 5-10 minutes until the instructor calls an end and you do your end of practice cool down.

In the advanced class you do actual rolls so you could continue to try to hit stuff if you wanted to (but would have no chance to drill it unless you were buying privates), but not in the beginner class.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
As 1st AD posted, this is how a Gracie Barra Academy beginner class goes:

Bow in
*10 minute stretching/sit-ups/push-ups
*15 minutes on a standing self defense technique
*20-25 minutes learning a set sequence of moves
*5-10 minutes of positional rolls where you are directed to use the sequence you just learned
*5 minute cool-down
Bow out

There is no open mat before or after the class, since there is a class before and after you.

There is a set syllabus that the instructor must follow that is a 10 or 12 week rotation of techniques. Every week you switch techniques and don't come abck to them until they come back up in the rotation.

The very tight format is set up to keep it very easy and keep beginners interested. It does not allow a single minute of free time or chance to try stuff out on your own, including going back to try stuff you had learned before. This is intentional because it pushes students towards expensive private lessons if they want to work on something in particular.

In the vast majority of circumstances, you are not allowed to show up to the advanced class until you have three stripes. Stripes are 100% based on attendance at this level. You get a new stripe every X number of classes (I don't remember what the number was, but if you came regularly it was around every 2-3 months)

The advanced class goes like this:
Bow in
*10 minute stretching/sit-ups/push-ups
*10 minutes on a takedown
*20-25 minutes learning three related techniques
*10-15 minutes of free rolling. The instructor pairs you up with somebody and you do two or three minutes, then you get paired up with somebody else
*5 minute cool-down
Bow out

The advanced class follows a related syllabus that cycles every 10-12 weeks, but the free rolling does allow you to continue working on stuff you'd learned before. You also are probably the first or last class of the evening, so there is probably some time before or after class to do some extra drilling if the instructor doesn't mind sticking around to keep the place open. Once you hit the advanced class most places also ussually have some open mat times where you can come and do free rolling for an hour or two.

Also, to recruit females, they occasionaly hold self defense seminars that they call "Rape Safe" classes. These are really just a beginner class and includes learning things like how to do a double leg takedown on someone trying to rape you...

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

1st AD posted:

wrestling ruins everything

I actually don't have a problem with the way the class is set up, because it's a beginners class and a lot of people just don't have the experience or the conditioning to really get any benefit out of more open mat time. I think the 15 or so minutes you spend on positional sparring is more than enough for anyone new.

Maybe after a week or so my tune will change, but at this point I don't know where and how to grip lapels and sleeves, so it's not like I want to be rolling with other guys quite yet.

Well, like I said, you do learn real BJJ. If somebody has a purple belt or something from Gracie Barra they are just as deserving as any other purple. It's just a really commercialized and structured program that makes sure everything is very easy and safe for beginners. If you are enjoying it and can afford the tuition, there is no reason not to go for it, especially if there aren't other options in your area.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

I've seen a chart detailing how many classes you need for each promotion, is that a minimum number of classes or once you reach x classes you get y belt/stripe?

At least until you get your blue belt it's the latter. I am not sure about blue belt and higher. I do know that anybody I worked with who was a two stripe blue belt or higher seemed to deserve the rank, and all their purple belts were legit purples.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

the periodic fable posted:

anyone know where the expression "closing the bracket" comes from? is it simply a nicer-sounding way of saying forfeit or leaving walkover?

It means two guys (or any power of 2, I guess) decide not to compete rather than fight to declare a champion. Ussually happens when guys who are training partners end up matched in the finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shizen posted:

is it strange to go to other schools to free roll on open mat days-they charge like 20 bucks but I can stay for few hours-? Do they take this as a challenge to own me? I'm not very good but been at it for close to month now and starting to get some of the basics and would like to go against some new people but not sure if this would be a good idea at my level.

Having a mat fee isn't unheard of at all, a lot of places do it. $20 is kind of steep in my experience, but maybe you're in an expensive area.