Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Biafraid posted:

Bummer. Under side control is usually where I find myself being crushed and unable to do much, especially against bigger opponents (which is pretty much everyone). Verdum, I ain't.

underhook, scoot your hip out until you can heist to your knees. Then learn to defend a front headlock (hand fight, redrag) once you get there.

Seriously, learning to underhook is probably the most important skill to getting off the bottom from pretty much any position.

It's not flashy, tricky, or en vogue. It' a working mans move, and can make for a hard fight off the bottom vs bigger dudes. However, the success rate is amazingly high, and underhooking will keep you from getting subbed while you figure out where the rest of the moves are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Rids! posted:

How the heck do I sweep from half guard when my opponent is angled across my body such that I cant take their back?
At the moment I just stall until they move off balance enough for me to bridge and roll but I feel like a jerk when I'm just stalling.
Stalling isn't stalling while you're on the bottom. It's staying in a defensive position until you have a chance to advance. They're on top holding you down, it's their job to move and attempt to advance. Yes, there are things you can do, but fundamentally if all they are going to do is stay there and hold you down, there isn't a LOT you can do about it without working disproportionately hard.

That being said, underhook and get on to your side (facing in to them). The fundamental part of being remotely successful on bottom half guard is getting to your side. On your back, you're going to get flattened and laid on. You need to get to your side to create angles, free your hips, look for sweeps, or heist.

Really, when they are fatty mcfatfat laying on you and not attempting to move at all, you lay there. As soon as they give you an inch of space, start to fight for your underhook. When you finally establish an underhook you should pretty much always be able to get to your side.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

westcoaster posted:

I disagree. You are on the bottom and therefore losing. If you don't escape you will lose. It is your prerogative to do something. Its common if someone is ahead in points to stall on the top.

Mind you getting the underhook and the other advice is solid.

In competition, I agree with you - it is in your best interest to try and get something going. That being said, you will never get called for stalling on the bottom. You will only ever get called for stalling on top. If you're on bottom, you should be playing defense to get to a better position. Sometimes that defense is just hanging out and preventing them from getting anything going until you manage to wiggle into that right position to move.

In the gym, when you're just rolling around with your friends working on technique, totally disagree. There is no time limits, no points, and you're just looking to improve upon techniques. At that point, why not work on your bottom defense game? Also, it will make your partner better at his top game - especially if you're just managing to beat him with things like a bridge or heist. It's not like you're going to lose on points.

imtheism fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 13, 2011

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king
I train with a dude named Trevor Smith, who went to Iowa State, and was a training partner of Cael Sanderson. He's a super nice guy, strong as a gorilla, weighs 225 of pure muscle and has hips like a 145 lber, hits moves that don't even exist, and is absolutely impossible to get off the bottom on.

I'm a pretty rugged 200lber, and hold my own against the super heavyweights no problem. When he lays on me and grabs me, I break in to little tiny pieces.

Good training partner!

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I thought the average was ten, like it has been shown to take for mastery of other difficult things (someone post that study)? So maybe he was roughly average, maybe he wasn't always spending the same amount of time on BJJ because he wasn't BJ Penn not having to work a day in his life, maybe his coach is tight with belts...this is ignorant white belt speculation.

Speaking of my ignorance I really want Megaton to win but only because I learned about Zelda before I learned about explosive payloads. Does he have a good hammerlock?
Also, there are a lot of crappy blackbelts out there now. Getting a BB in bjj 10 years ago was an amazing amount of work. Even 5 years ago, getting a BB from a respected teacher was pretty tough. While still better than pretty much any other martial art, the bjj lineage is starting to break down and become more about making money/belt factories for the masses than it is staying true to the sport.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

1st AD posted:

Did I kill the tendon in my biceps or something? About a month ago I got caught in a nasty armbar and I couldn't tap quickly enough before it felt seriously stretched out. I've been avoiding doing workouts that strain my biceps because there's still a ton of residual soreness any time I flex it.

I started rolling again last week and everything felt great, then yesterday someone slapped on an americana and the second he started torquing it I started to feel a sharp pain.
You got caught - those moves are supposed to hurt, that's how they work. You will get that sharp pain for a few months, until it's completely healed up. Part of the problem with those sorts of injuries is that in protecting the initial injury you get lots of atrophy in the muscles around it also.

For me, I always warm the arm up with some good stretching. Then after the first week or so, i start stretching and compressing the muscle in every way possible - past the point of pain but not to reinjury. It hurts like a bitch, but it forces out any scar tissue, and forces reconnected tensed tendons to stretch, then heavy RICE after the fact.

The most important part of any injury like that is getting ice on it, LOTS of compression, ibuprofen, elevation immediately. You need to do everything you can to prevent the initial swelling/damage past what the initial injury was. I will occasionally sleep with an ice pack on, and my whatever all nice and wrapped up tight. If you can get past like that first 2 days, your recovery will be much quicker.

If you're like me, you take not nearly enough time off, tape it up to gently caress and get back on the mat. After a few of those you get a nice pain in your elbow that never really goes away 100%.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

awkward_turtle posted:

Anybody here have experience coming back from a knee injury? Back into December I tore my right knee up pretty bad off a failed takedown, and then had to delay the surgery till March because of my school schedule. I'm lighter a chunk of my lateral meniscus now and I'll probably deal with some MCL instability, from tearing it in half, the rest of my life. On the bright side what they originally thought was a total ACL tear turned out to be a partial tear and I didn't need a replacement. I'm up to about 80% of strength, relative to the other leg, and overall lower body strength is obviously lower than it was before the accident since I haven't deadlifted or squated in 4 months now. I'm hoping to start going for at least technique and drilling in a couple weeks when I get my strength up better, get a decent hinge brace, and can actually sit on my knees.

What'd you do for bracing? How'd you work back in? Any thing you fund you had to avoid?

I came back from a full (as in both ends flapping in the wind) ACL tear. I had the patellar graph, which is supposedly the strongest, but it ripped the front of my knee up pretty bad. 16 months after surgery, that's still the part that is most problematic by a long shot. Still can't kneel on a hard surface without a lot of pain.

I rehabbed it hard on an high level athlete's regimen in physical therapy and had a pretty high range of motion and strength after about only a month. I don't know the specifics about how your injury works, but I'm surprised they havent had you doing any squats or weight lifting or anything. I was doing leg presses, squats, balance ball, calf raises, weighted leg lifts, and all sorts of weighted/resistance training with as much weight as I could physically do for 3x10 sets for each exercise. Usually by the third set I'd be unable to do the exercise around 7-8.

I stayed off the mat for about 2.5-3 months, then got back to rolling really lightly. I just rolled a little harder/used it more as I felt more confident on it. I just went easy on it, and only trained with friends I trusted not to hurt me. Lots of ice, stretching, massage. I won a grappling competition on it at about 6 months in - but it was no where near healed, maybe 65%. The good news is I learned to wrestle off my right foot, as well as work my moves the other direction. Not being able to explode through moves actually really helped my technique.

It's pretty strong now, and the only lasting injury is the loving crater they carved into the front of my knee. The actual reattachment site is fine.

That being said, I have pretty unreal pain tolerance, a good work ethic, and am completely stupid about letting my injuries heal 100% before I go back on the mat. As far as I've been told I'm pretty much as atypical as you get from that scenario. I was jogging no brace after 6 weeks, most people are barely walking at that point. So, yeah, ymmv. Just be smart, lift weights/balance ball, go lightly, ice/elevate it every night. You'll be ok.

:wtf: moment. My first day back in the gym, I was rolling with a buddy of mine. He's a good guy, albeit far less than the smartest guy I've known. Anyways, my knee is all taped up to gently caress, i tell him this is day #1 back, and I just want to see how it feels. He starts off on top, and within about 30 seconds DIVES FOR A KNEEBAR ON MY BAD KNEE. I almost had a heart attack. So yeah, words of warning, don't roll with THAT guy, even if he is your friend.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

fatherdog posted:

Attention SoCal goons -

daaaayuumn. Wish I could do a takedown clinic with one of the Shultz bros. Those two were mean as gently caress. Think it was Mark who broke some dude's arm in the olympics with a kimura while defending a single leg takedown.

Either way, everyone in SoCal should go to this.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

hopper2k posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRkvo0Lops

This was from a tournament just over a week ago. I'm in the white gi. I think this was my 8th time competing at blue belt? Lost count already, but my third win, and I got kimura'd in my second match. I can't catch a break at blue. However, I feel like I finally did not mentally break myself down or anything, so at least I'm getting better in that department!
Passes looked good. Sweeps were pretty good.

Only thing I really saw was that you hung out on the back too long when he started to beat it. As soon as he's out of RNC position you need to be scrambling to stay on top, so he doesn't spin and end up in your guard.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Senor P. posted:

I was wondering if someone could explain something to me. Maybe I'm wrong about this but do the big tournament organizers (Grapplers Quest, NAGA, others I don't know about) hate the west coast?

Here in the Pacific Northwest most of our big local tournaments seem to be in Portland or Seattle.

Could some of the California goons explain who does their big tournaments? In another year or so I would like to try going to one of them.
Hey, revolution and sub-league buddy! One day i'll bother going somewhere else for a tournament. I'd like to do a naga with more competitors, and i imagine the skill level is higher through all the divisions due to sand-bagging and name recognition and such.

Can anyone speak to this?

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

dokomoy posted:

This video freaking owns

http://vimeo.com/24451241
This video was terrible. There was like, 2 good moves in it, both played in such excruciatingly slow motion so many times that it was boring beyond belief. In a 10 minute compilation from one of the best grappling comps in brazil proper, they showed 8 moves.

Seriously? NOTHING better happened that day than a dude getting his arms tied up, and then escaping? Than a dude pulling half guard from stand up? Come on...

imtheism fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 1, 2011

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Thoguh posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEMlJiTWNfk

Here's a video to make everyone feel better (Dan Camarillo compilation).

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout. The sequence that goes down at 3:00 is just loving stupid awesome.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

BlindSite posted:

Anyone got any advice on staying heavier when in mount and side control, because I'm against dudes a lot bigger I find sometimes they can pretty much throw me off even with solid hooks and technique. Against dudes my own size I maintain mount and side control pretty easily but the bigger guys seem to be able to power out a bit easier.

My grip is fine around the head and arms when in side and I keep my hips as low and tight as possible. I'm even able to transition to mount smoothly even when someone bear hugs me and throws me but against some of the really strong guys I can't seem to stay grounded. I'm talking like a 70-90 pound weight difference here.
The biggest thing is probably thinking about trying to stay mobile, rather than trying to think about holding them in place. I'm sure you've generally learned that every move has a counter - the same is true of positional battles. The smaller opponent will almost always have the speed advantage, so you need to use that.

However, it really depends on what you mean by 'muscle' out of moves, and the manner in which they are trying to do so. Are they bench pressing you out of side control, or are they beating you to an underhook and heisting? Similarly with mount, are they bench pressing you, Umpa, or hip escaping?

Side control bench press - secure your far side underhook and pop up to knee on belly. Should create enough space for you to be able to just ride them, always try and fall back into your far side underhook for control. If they keep arms outstretched, should be an easy pass in to mount.

Bench press from mount - mounted/swing armbar. Either that, try and change the angle they're pushing, let em start to roll you over, then take their back. like I said, it really kinda depends on what move they're doing.

Don't think about 'how do i hold them here?' Think about, 'where can I move to beat them to the next and or better position?'. Holding someone in place doesn't do you any good, but continuing to move and advance towards better position always will.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Xguard86 posted:

how do you tap that which has no limbs or neck?

Seriously, it's too bad his jits aren't a little more slick, cuz you can't get a better body for grappling than that monster.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Pres posted:

Here's a pretty awesome video of Marcelo Garcia rolling with Ryan Hall in a Gi.

http://www.lapelchoke.com/marcelo-garcia-rolls-gi-with-ryan-hall/
gently caress, Marcelo is just unreal to watch. Some of the movements he does, his timing, balance... It's just ridiculous. His hips...:allears:

Hall is a pretty respected grappler and Marcelo just eats him alive, especially in that gi video. Really gives you perspective on how far up the chain one can go.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

colonel_korn posted:

I guess this is as good a place for this as any :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHyjl4v0MU&t=175s

:slick:

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

This must be quite demoralising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6AVUmGt8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In the comments somewhere, said it was 15-17 year old division, which typically don't have skill levels inside of them. i looked on youtube and she looks to have decent high school wrestling experience. So basically, she was inadvertently (maybe?) sandbagging. Also, shouldn't have been 25-0, as he reversed her @ ~2:05 - not sure why he didnt get points, bad reffing. Skill was pretty obviously very uneven.

That being said, that kid needs to learn to defend/escape a mount!

imtheism fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 1, 2011

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

fatherdog posted:

You don't get points for "reversals", you get points for sweeps, and sweeps are only scored done from the guard. Bridging someone over from mount doesn't give you points in pretty much any ruleset - except I think in FILA submission wrestling rules you get one point for "escapes" if you get back to a "neutral" position.

diff rules up here in Seattle, then, I guess. I've always seen sweep points given for mounted-->guard via bridges and such. Imo, you deserve to give up some points for going from the best position to your back - should be scrambling to a 50/50 at worst!

Come to think of it, I roll all no-gi which might be where the difference is. Same idea as how you're not allowed to pull guard without giving up points.

Re: banana split. Sucks to have it done to you, but after you get it done once or twice you should be able to defend it pretty easily. The trick when they start to throw it on is to scoot your lower back/butt to the ground to change the angle they need to stretch with. If you stay on top of their hips/stomach, you're toast. Just keep your hips moving, change the stretching angles, and there is pretty much always space to squirm.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Death Bucket posted:

I once had a ref threaten to DQ me in a tournament for stalling in mount. While I was the guy on top. I'm pretty sure it's the bottom guy's problem to figure out a way out from under there, and it's my job to hold that position as long as I drat well feel like it.
Disagreed on this kinda. A lot of times when you're on the bottom, you're pinned in such a way that any move is a bad move until they give you some space.

The goal should *always* be to advance position towards a submission, for both parties. However, the guy on top is usually the one dictating the pace/positions, so his attempts at advancement usually matter more in terms of keeping things moving.

If you're on the bottom of a tight side control, sometimes no amount of anything you can do will get you free from someone who just wants to hold you and stall. At that point, HE is the one who is stalling - not the person pinned on the bottom.

Obviously, if it's coming down to points at the end of the match, the bottom person should be doing everything to advance. However, for the top person, defending points and advancing are two very different things.

It's both party's responsibility to advance, but it's impossible to stall from the bottom because you're already losing.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

fawker posted:

man, that floor REALLY did look slippery

My coach competed in ADCC 2007. He mentioned to me that he had no idea how slippery the mats were going to be. His theory is that they do it on purpose to keep the game more skewed towards bjj rather than wrestling (which I would buy). Said making any sort of good penetrating takedowns was hard as gently caress, and that if he ever competes in adcc again he is going to wear wrestling shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

Nierbo posted:

Typical stupid nierbo-type questions ahead.

How come no one ever goes for a headlock submission like this:

except without having the uke's (?) right arm in. Mainly wondering about going for it in that position but on the ground, not standing up like those guys, so north-south but both guys facing down. I don't know the name of that position, I'm sure someone here can enlighten me. Joe Rogan said once it takes an incredible amount of strength to submit someone like that, but I don't understand why. Why is the arm in so important?

Also, he said something along the lines of holding a submission at 50% for a while and then suddenly moving it up to 75% and then move to 100% squeeze. Is there any truth to that? I always just grab that poo poo and go 100%. Is it so that you don't waste energy if you don't have the position or grip perfect? I know I ask real dumb questions sometimes so thanks in advance.
the arm in is super important because it helps seal off the artery on one side. Think of trying to finish a triangle without having the arm in - it's doable with all the right angles, but you have to be ridiculously strong to pull it off. It's super hard to squeeze tight enough with just your arms to seal off the space - that's why chokes from that position generally finish as guillotines, rather than blood chokes like an anaconda or darce.

As for the 50/75/100, some of it is to make sure you're establishing position correctly, some of it psychological, some of it physical. If you have a guy who is mega tough and can just grit his teeth and bare it for 10 seconds, you'll gas your arms out trying. However, if you put on the choke at 50%-75% while establishing position perfectly, then you've got the choke 3/4 finished without really expending any energy. As soon as you ramp it up, you're now using 100% force against his 25% left to resist. I don't know if it makes any sense in writing... it's kind of one of those things you have to feel and have done to you to really understand.

When I start chokes slow, establish good position and ramp it up, i find I pretty much never need to use 100% power - even the toughest dudes crumble at 85% or so. I think of it like how a boa constrictor kills things. First you just get them wrapped up, then slowly start to sink it in. You're constricting enough to hold them and cause severe discomfort, but not immediately go out. When they are at the very end of the rope and you've got them completely immobilized - that's when the death squeeze comes, and there is just absolutely no way to resist it. Sounds cheesy, but it totally works.

This is really only true with blood chokes, however. Cranks, windpipe chokes, and all other joint locks go on tighter with speed an intensity. That being said, when not at a tournament, you should always put *those* ones on with an even slower ramp so you don't cripple your opponent for life.