Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

lineage and what not is really not a big deal to most Catch wrestlers.

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Death Bucket posted:

I think BJJ guys are way worse about the lineage thing - the only real animosity I've found as far as catch goes is toward dorks like Cecchine and Furey, though I can count on one hand the number of guys I've met in the past few years that claim catch. I guess if I went to an SCA meeting and started talking about Lancashire wrestling it might get goony.
Minoru Suzuki lineage

Also, this is semantic and goony as gently caress, but if anyone can explain why a lot of people write the word 'gi' in all-caps, I'd appreciate it. I see it all the time have no idea what that's about.

The only BJJ people that really get persnickety over lineage are Rorian and his boys, and that's because Rorian is a money-grubbing businessman who literally sued the rest of his family to prevent them from using "Gracie Jiujitsu" to describe their schools.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Also people like the Machados who are not Gracies are seperate from that lineage and wouldn't use Gracie Jiu-jitsu, even if they were legally permitted.

The Machados aren't really separate from the Gracie lineage; they're Carlos Gracie's nephews and learned BJJ from him. Good find on Oswaldo, though; I'd never heard of him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Cecchine's entire "hooks vs concession holds" thing is just blatantly stupid on the face of it

Any submission will break bones and rip tendons if you do it without giving a guy time to tap, so there isn't actually any difference between "hooks" and "concession holds" - which should be pretty obvious since he's demonstrating "hooks" and the guys he's demonstrating on mysteriously are able to tap before their arms explode!

"Hooks" vs "concession holds" is just an attempt to distinguish between his "catch" material and other grappling instructionals, when the reality is there's very little difference and what few there are are really just minor stylistic variations.

LAOH was kind of worthwhile when it came out because it had a lot of leglock and neck crank stuff at a time when not a lot of people were teaching that, but these days where you can buy literally hundreds of hours worth of material on any set of techniques you could name from legitimate world champions who've done all those techniques in elite competition, I can't fathom why anyone would bother spending money on Cecchine's material.

EDIT: And even at the time I thought Igor Yakimov's leglock set was better for that side of things anyway

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

That's not a real grappling match though since that guy wasn't a black belt in BJJ.

A) Yes he was
B) Even if he wasn't how would that make it "not a real grappling match"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Oh I was under the impression he was some Judo guy or whatever.

Nope

quote:

And it wasn't "real" as in the high level matches are slower paced than this. and not as funny.

Observe the slow pace

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

What you're actually doing is hyperextending the foot straining the ligaments on top of the foot to the point where they might snap, you can rotate and dig with your wrist to cause pain in the achilles tendon but it's not going to gently caress it up and people don't tap to pain in the higher levels.

Properly applied, a straight footlock will actually break the bones of the foot (the metatarsals), not just the ligaments.

ch3cooh posted:

My only quibble with the informational posts is the one describing various positions and subs. Your half guard section says that the top fighter is harder to sweep. I think that while in MMA that is true (lord knows I would never go to deep half if I could be punched in the face) but in straight grappling looking at a lot of the work done by guys like Marcelo, half guard is seriously dangerous position for sweeps. In my experience I have found sweeping from half (and it's variants) to be far easier than full guard (except butterfly, sweet sweet butterfly guard)

Marcelo actually very rarely sweeps or indeed does anything from half guard; he uses half almost exclusively to get to X-guard or back to seated guard. When you see half guard sweeps in elite competition it's usually from the deep half, of which Jeff Glover is an excellent example.

Interestingly the Nogueira brothers have both used deep-half sweeps extensively in MMA (Big Nog against Werdum and Little Nog against Shogun are good examples) although they play it quite different from Glover.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

Yeah this is true, I was correcting that people don't tap from the achilles pressure they tap from the ligament strain really. Hopefully people will tap before the bones go.

Unfortunately I've seen quite a few guys at tournaments wind up with broken feet because of not tapping to it. I blame Bas.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lucasar posted:

I'm showing my ignorance here, but does Sumo count as a grappling sport?

Yes, albeit one with little mma representation/application

quote:

I know very little about it, but everything I read or watch fascinates me. I know Akebono has tried to do a little MMA or kickboxing here and there, but he just doesn't have the conditioning for it - a round of Sumo wrestling takes about 5 to 40 seconds in general, as opposed to 5 minute rounds in MMA and several of them. How much do MMA guys, particularly those of Judo extraction, know of Sumo techniques?

Machida actually competed in Sumo a little, but his trips and throws are mostly from wrestling and karate. If you're asking if regular mma fighters study sumo, then no.

quote:

Is there a big difference between Judo and Sumo throws?

In sumo you give up a point as soon as anything that isn't the soles of your feet touch the ground, and also as soon as you get pushed out of the (small) circle, so the techniques are a lot more limited. There are some throws that are common between it and judo, so in that sense judo guys know some "sumo" technique.

quote:

Put differently, if there was a weightclass in MMA that accomodated Sumo physiques, would Sumo be important?

Not even a little.

quote:

If this isn't the right place to ask, is there anybody from the combat sports crowd who knows enough to start a Sumo thread?

I doubt there'd be enough interest to really sustain a Sumo thread, but if someone knowledgeable would like to start one, please feel free.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

SpoonmanUK posted:

I keep meaning to ask and forgetting; what exactly is reaping the knee,

http://goatfury.blogspot.com/2009/05/us-grappling-rules-straight-footlock.html

quote:

and why is it banned in some competitions?

Because the IBJJF are a bunch of pussies.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Oh Em Gee posted:

Why the gently caress did the Gracies wrestle? To get better at it and to improve. Some guys like a challenge, and want to prove their style of grappling (sambo, catch wrestling, judo etc) is just as effective and relevant as BJJ so why not go and prove it on their grounds? IIRC Josh Barnett absolutely beasted through the IBJFF No-Gi world champions even though they specifically had banned two of Josh's main weapons, neck cranks and heel hooks (correct me if I'm wrong, just going off of memory) and he absolutely destroyed everyone he faced.

If by "absolutely destroyed" you mean "got a judge's decision after a scoreless tie"

Also Barnett trains under a BJJ black belt so calling anything he does proof of the effectiveness of catch wrestling is kind of retarded

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Oh Em Gee posted:

Dear god you are being a pedant, just because you cross train doesn't mean you are suddenly apart of that style. Erik Paulson has trained in multiple, multiple styles and therefore could be called any number of things not just a BJJ black belt.

Paulson trained in BJJ much longer than he trained in catch, and his first art was judo. I never said Josh was "a part" of BJJ, but when a guy trains under a BJJ black belt for ten years, calling him beating a BJJ guy "proof of his style of grappling" is really pretty stupid.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

I've always been partial to his single actually; ceci n'est pas running the pipe.

The Treachery of Suplexes

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

Today [Gomi] wrote on his blog that he’ll participate in the ADCC Asia Trial 2011 (presented by ISAMI reversal) on February 27th in Japan.

Another interesting thing to note is that when Shinya Aoki read a tweet about Gomi’s participation, he retweeted the tweet, adding: “I wonder if it’s still too late to sign up.”

It seems like February 17th (it’s the 18th in Japan now) was the last day to sign up so he’s a bit late.

Wrestlebox rides again

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

There was a second girl who qualified in the same weight class. Her opponents just went out and wrestled her and nobody made a big deal about it.

This kid's dad is apparently the preacher at the local evengelical church. I kind of feel sorry for him because its pretty clear he didn't have a choice in the matter (though who knows what he would have done if he had), and he had a very decent shot at making the finals, now the absolute best he can do is third. It's safe to say he'll be looking back on this with regret in the years to come. But for now, his parents won't have him rubbing up against no sweaty girl.

Also his coach and the rest of his team are going to be on him unmercifully for pretty much the rest of the year if not longer.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What makes it harder in MMA? The striking from the bottom seems to be such a small facet of the mount that I don't see what would change that much. Which choke is he applying? Is it a no-gi choke? Do gloves become an issue?

He's not talking about a specific choke being harder to finish, he's saying that it is harder in mma to finish people from mount, full stop. Which is perfectly reasonable since there are a ton of gi chokes from mount in bjj which, obviously, aren't available in mma.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

So this bit:

Is talking strictly about gi? I don't know what sport jiu-jitsu encompasses.
e: nor specifically which world final events those are.

"sport jiujitsu" is BJJ, which takes place with the gi. No gi grappling isn't sport jiujitsu, it's no gi grappling.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

the periodic fable posted:

i've tried to figure out why jacare wouldn't eventually get disqualified for passivity or timidity? i thought continuously, consciously escaping the fighting area was a penalty offense

The ref docked him points for it twice, but he'd taken Roger's back earlier so he was still ahead.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

the periodic fable posted:

i'm not sure about the point rules, would the third offense be a disqualification if the time hadn't run out?

I believe it's up to referee discretion; I would imagine that most guys would have gotten dqed already but the ref was nervous about straight up disqualifying a really high-profile competitor in the finals of the world championships.

Also while it's gotten better in the past few years, refereeing in sport jiujitsu and nogi is one of the biggest clownshows in combat sports. Seriously if you were a wrestler or a judo competitor watching a couple jiujitsu refs is enough to make you spit bile.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
One of the things I've been bitching about for years is that takedowns or sweeps or passes to someone's turtle should be worth points, just like sweeping or passing to side control. I think encouraging people to give up their backs to nullify points breeds bad habits for mma and has no compelling reason to exist in grappling.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
BJ is ridiculously talented, and also he was training full time, 6-7 days a week and often twice a day.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chortles posted:

It should also be added that BJJ itself -- as a discipline separate from Kodokan judo -- began with Helio Gracie adapting the techniques of judo ("Kano Jiu-Jitsu") as taught by Mitsuyo Maeda to his brother Carlos, to fit his "scrawnier" self.

This is the popular myth, but it's basically bullshit from Helio's side. BJJ as a separate discipline was a product of all the brothers, and Helio's version didn't differ significantly from Carlos'.

If anything the major sea-change in BJJ came from Carlos' son Rolles, who was basically acknowledged by everyone (including Rickson) as being the best in the family, and was the one that started training in wrestling and Sambo to complement his BJJ.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
$220/month.

The advanced class on Monday had five black belts, three brown belts, eight purples, and ten blues. That's pretty average for a Monday.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grifter posted:

But Ribeiro has won 3 out of the last 4.

where are you reading that, because I'm pretty sure it's not true

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Yeah but it's useless for everything except doing gi.

Nope.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

People don't walk around on the sidewalk wearing Gis, sorry.

Correct, people never wear long sleeve jackets and pants in real life.

quote:

In Nogi and MMA you'll be used to having grips that aren't there.

You're not gonna be good in nogi or mma unless you do some training nogi and mma, but you said

henkman posted:

Yeah but it's useless for everything except doing gi.

Which is obviously untrue since the majority of people who are top sub guys in no-gi and mma spend most of their time training gi

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Said guys probably do not train gi only, though. They also train nogi and mma because gi is useless except for gi, and

If gi training was useless for nogi, Marcelo Garcia wouldn't be crushing dudes in nogi training nogi once a week and gi six times a week. QED.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

I'd imagine he'd be beating guys left and right no matter what he trained.

See if you can follow me here -

If training in the gi is useless for no gi, then effectively Garcia was only training once a week while crushing his divisions (and, incidentally, so were Saulo and Xande)

Which is more likely -

A) Garcia is so gifted that he can crush people at nogi even if he were training nogi one day a week and training something completely useless the rest of the time

B) Gi training and no gi training each prepare you most specifically for gi and nogi training, respectively, but both of them make you better at grappling and each helps the other

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

It's probably a bit of both (although I'd rather it'd be all A since that helps my case)

Fortunately for me, B is the one that's actually reasonable

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Really because A seems pretty reasonable too. You don't think Marcelo is naturally gifted enough to beat people training 1 day a week in something useful?

Beat people? Yes. Beat other guys who are the best at their weight in the world, training no-gi grappling full-time? No.

Pretty much everybody who's elite at no-gi trains in the gi and says it helps them. If you want to believe they're all wrong or that it's a big conspiracy, that's your right as a human being, but don't delude yourself into thinking your position is equally reasonable or supported.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Speaking of, how does the no posture pass work for people here? I worry that trying to develop it too much tends to make me neglect working on other kinds of passing and I'm just not sure if I can hone it to the point where it can be a go-to pass. Anybody getting a lot of mileage out of it?

I worked on it for a while, but ultimately decided to put it away because it didn't fit well into the rest of my passing game at the time.

Watching Wilson Reis and Tozi in competition it certainly seems to be something you can use as a go-to if you work at it, especially if you have a strong half-guard passing game.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
When guys try it with me I never really feel like I'm in a position to get the back; what they do seem to give me a lot is opportunities to bow-and-arrow choke

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm pretty sure Holanda got his black belt from Busta.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

more along the lines of TUF where the debate was that he would be a lovely coach because 'be a genetic freak" is not a teachable skill.

My POV is that even if Lesnar was technique wizard, he will be a lovely coach because he is an introverted person with no real interest in any kind of team.

And as has been pointed out multiple times, how good a coach Brock is will be more or less irrelevant because he's bringing in excellent coaches that are going to do all the actual coaching

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

The IBJJF Pan Jiu Jitsu Tournament(which is a stupid name btw) is streaming next weekend at budovideos.com(I think it's going to cost 10 bucks and there should be 10+ hours worth of matches). Does anyone have any interest in a write up like the one Mardragon did for the NCAA's?

Absolutely.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Netflix actually does have two Best of ADCC dvds, although it doesn't have any of the full year sets unfortunately.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Which brings upmy big problem with the Gracie Barra way of doing things (and the reason other than cost I reccomend checking out other places if they are available) - you'll work on that sweep this week, and then move on to another set of techniques next week.

This is like every bjj place on the face of the planet, not just Gracie Barra. Nothing prevents you from continuing to work on that sweep next week.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

This is how it works at a Gracie Barra Academy beginner class:
For positional rolling at the end of class, you start in whatever it was you were working on that day. In this case it was a sweep so you would start from guard.

For the roll, you go until someone scores (in this case with a sweep by the guy on bottom or a guard pass by the guy on top) or gets a sub. Then you stop immediatly.

You switch places, and repeat for 5-10 minutes until the instructor calls an end and you do your end of practice cool down.

In the advanced class you do actual rolls so you could continue to try to hit stuff if you wanted to (but would have no chance to drill it unless you were buying privates), but not in the beginner class.

None of which would prevent you from working the guard sweep you did last time in the next session where you started from guard.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

shizen posted:

so I have been researching John Olav Einemo since he is fighting carwin soon. I found it interesting in a recent interview he said it took him 12 years to get his black belt. Yet he said he started training in 1997, and in 2001 was competing at adcc and made it to the semi finals losing to arnoa who become champion. Then in 03 he won the whole thing beating roger gracie-only guy to ever beat him at adcc also I guess-

So how is it that a guy that is obviously very talented takes him 12 years to get his black belt?

He did a lot of his training with just lower-ranked training partners and students in Norway, only visiting higher ranked people who could actually belt rank him very seldomly. He was technically a blue belt when he beat Roger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

shizen posted:

wow that is crazy he was able to have so much success without many high level guys training with him. Also pretty cool that adcc was one of the few in brazil also when he beat roger. Why did he stop fighting/grappling for so long though?

A series of staph infections and knee injuries iirc