Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
jacare vs Roger 2k4 mundial pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZdDh_yQVSU

pt 2:

The arm is broken just after 1min in this video. such an incredible match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYwlxHjkMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

One of the things I've been bitching about for years is that takedowns or sweeps or passes to someone's turtle should be worth points, just like sweeping or passing to side control. I think encouraging people to give up their backs to nullify points breeds bad habits for mma and has no compelling reason to exist in grappling.

I hear that, but I'm selling it. I love the turtle as a defensive grappling position, youre in so much danger, that its a trade off for not giving up points(if turtle immediately rolls to guard, then a takedown should be awarded). Grappling is all about using tech to beat tech, and the fact that the opponent cant strike you, means he needs to solve the 'puzzle' that is how you play each position.

I mean, I also love the grip game in bjj and everything about competing in a Gi, just saying.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOT_U_UwnI

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
wow, I think im going to start wearing mine, Ive been doing this a little while and nothing bad has happened yet, but theres times when im working a choke on someone else, and I feel like im gritting my teeth way too much. I have a nice top only mouthpiece, no excuse not to.

Is it cool if I keep posting match videos? I dont think I can embed FB videos, but this match is just awesome. Braga Neto vs Cyborg from semifinals of last years's Worlds. I remember they didnt show this match on the stream, but there was a thunderous applause for the finish, the whole place was shaking it seems, and the commentators just stopped talking haha. hopefully this link works:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=414307307297&comments

boa cyborg!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Tonight I wore my Koral MKM for the first time. Ive always been a guy who said, man gently caress those expensive gi's, my fuji and gameness are just as good.

Wrong, the korals are seriously worth every loving penny.

Been working side control top and bottom all week, today we worked the cyborg knee on neck choke. brutal!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

awkward_turtle posted:

What would you say is different about the Koral? Fit, feel, durability?

Its light, sleeves are long enough, which has been a problem for me. Size A2. Not too baggy around my waist either.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

as an aside I wasn't trying to brag about that or anything, just pointing out that situations and opportunities are a real factor.

100X this, look, bjj is expensive, but if you have a legit black belt in your area, you need to buck up, spend the money, and train like its a job while you are physically able and your job allows it.

You need to tell your girl, look, Ill be home, but two hours later and ill be tired. You have to train while you can, before you cannot.

The path to black belt lies in dedication, mat time and tournament time. its really that simple, I mean look at that girl Hillary Williams, sacrafices social life and normal womanhood, BB in <5 years. It can be done, are you man enough?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Someone from 50/50 gym tagged this pic as jake makenzie on facebook, i saved it cause i knew it was important, now might be the time to post it in this thread, white belts, take heed, this is coming from ryan hall and his crew, the real deal.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
$150/mo for the best training and team in the world!

They have muay thai and a freaking crazy gym, but I just love sport bjj, all gi all the time. I usually do 4 nights a week.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Something I think a lot of new guys do, for whatever reason, too much UFC or what, is only goto nogi class.

Rolling with the gi on is like the sickest video game you ever played on crack, man. I mean its just loving awesome! something about the grip game and how much everythign is "slowed down" makes it incredibly fun and strategic.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

For what it's worth guys from my academy have won medals at each of the no-gi worlds and we train almost exclusively with the gi(the only time I've seen anyone rolling no-gi this calendar year is when George Sotiropoulos trained with us).

I believe it.

We shouldnt have to debate gi and no gi here, its been done for like ten years on mma.tv. Train in the gi and enjoy it, its the truth.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
A friend of mine just started at Marcelo's, Short bald headed purple belt, brazillian kid. Should have a Fight Sports South Beach patch on one of his gi's. kids a student of bjj, with a sick grip and spider guard.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
just like hs wrasslin, have two moves to each side in every situation that you know you can execute. Stay relaxed and stay technical. But remember he's not ur buddy so you can be ruff. Also don't be too relaxed that some jerk traps ur foot in half guard for like 2 minutes.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

shizen posted:

Ah thats good because I wanted to get a blue gi, but didn't want to seem like a douche if only higher level guys were allowed to wear colored gi.

I think gracie varra are like the only guys who make beinners wear white. I will second the koral reccomendation as well, I just got my first(also have a gamenes, which is great, and a fuji). I love it!

also, make sure ur new gym is oriented to sport style bjj, can't stress that enough!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

This is, this is my horse in the race. Go Guard Pulling Gophers!

Question: how much weight do these guys typically cut? Like if I weigh 155-165 what weight class is closest to my size?

prob 135

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
my god these pan ams! so excited!!!!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Respect all black belts imho.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Rodolfo Vieira in the absolute finals. He tore through everyone, 2 cross chokes 2 back chokes. He's a loving monster.

this finals gonna be awesome!

buchecha was really impressive in the open as well. Cant wait to watch some more of his matches this week on Youtube. His double leg on Vella was great!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Any of you guys friends with Dustin Denes on Facebook? he posts these awesome videos of himself driving up a1a on his way to the academy. So funny and good motivation from a great champ. The baddest gringo around imho.

If you guys arent you definately need to add him!

jiu jitsu chop is coming, secret basement dojo session, tech straight outta rio de janiero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvVGJ2yGNkY&feature=BF&list=WL4B2015B4404A61D1&index=1

always be closing fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 11, 2011

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Bohemian nights, did you wrestle @ NY open? Just saw on Facebook my boy Rafa took 3rd. Let us know!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Thread killed by Bohemian Nights hah.

So tonights my grading I assume. I can't compete as a white belt and the comp is on the weekend so it sort of has to be I guess. Lets see if he remembers.

edit: Nope. registration for the comp ended on sunday and sensei didn't fax mine in, so no point in being graded now as I won't be competing anyway. I'm trying very hard not to loving blow my lid over this. Thanks to everyone for the competition tips. Your advice is not lost on me.

They discourage white belts from competing at your school?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

bummer.

So, any goonies goin? watching or competing? details about your weight and preparation so far etc. I know theres gotta be some serious guys on here?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
only for tough guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHz40iUNIsc

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can you guys define some of these words for us who are just BJJ players?

/too lazy to google!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I think everyone should learn the japanese names for the moves because those are THE names for the moves. that way evrytime someone is thrown you dont have to say "OOOH judo throw!" like Joe Hogan.

Or you could be an internet contrarian like we have on this forum. Do you even trane bro?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
budovideos.com/online

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Cobrinha on stalling:

http://www.graciemag.com/en/2011/06...nternational%29

quote:

PENALTIES:

“I feel minor modifications can change Jiu-Jitsu in a big way, make it more attractive. I look at other fight sports, like judo and taekwondo and even MMA – the rules are frequently revised so as to improve the spectacle, which is the matches, making it more appealing to the public to watch. That hasn’t happened in Jiu-Jitsu yet. There still isn’t much by way of penalization for stalling and certain positions, like the 50/50, which aren’t shunned because some people consider them to be innovative. Nobody does anything, the matches are motionless, they’re just waiting for time to run out. I don’t believe that’s what we want for our sport, is it? How can we promote Jiu-Jitsu and get it to grow even further with situations like that? The organizers promote the Jiu-Jitsu World Championship and we, the athletes, should promote the spectacle. But that’s not what’s happening these days, unfortunately. That’s why I feel the rules should be revised to help change the athletes’ mentality, so they’ll look to have free-flowing, open matches, improving the spectacle and drawing spectators and subsequently sponsors, making Jiu-Jitsu grow. At least that’s what I hope for as a fighter, teacher, and as someone running a business in the field (of Jiu-Jitsu).”

The man is right. ban these 'innovative' stalling techniques!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Best quote ITT.
Its not like BJJ is mainstream anyway. Whats the big deal about making it casual viewer friendly?

edit: Its a money thing isn't it? :(

Its all about money. The art and innovation are not going to disappear if you make people work though. Its what makes american folkstyle wrestling so intense and awesome...

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I don't think you can compare the bastardization of judo, to making bjj less boring, imho. The judo rules are there to protect the throws, they want the sport to be about grip fighting and the kodokan throws, no diuble legs for ippon. As far as their randori rules, I don't mind I'm not watching judo for that imho.

I just don't think there's anything wrong with asking athletes to push the pace and look for a definitive finish. Show me somw good 50/50 or something to change my opinion?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

fawker posted:

Ryan Hall vs Hermes Franca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curRC4pAE-w

go to about 2:35 to see something awesome.

ahh werd I remember that back take.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
ADCC always owns. 30 min grappling matches! beastly. 99+ kg was a wild affair last year, idk what that dude was talking about, Antonio Silva is a welcome addition, but I dont think he'll be the star of this show.

I just wish budovideos streams were still free =(

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

I want one of their Purple Gi's just to have something different than the sea of Korals I see everywhere but so expensive. I need a new Gi, anyone have good recommendations?

koral mkm, whats wrong with you!?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
they only get hurt training, not competing

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4er0IQ7RmQU

I just learned the best counter for a double leg takedown.

1: Have your partner do a terrible double leg takedown.

2: Turn sideways a bit.

3. Be 150 lbs heavier than your partner.

4. And that's all you need!

I just buzzed through this with no sound, that wizzer throws a cool move and not too tough to add into your repertoire.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
sick freaking lineup. howd they get all those guys to come out?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
did you see cyborg get slammed? I guess he hurt his shoulder and couldnt continue.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Another one for you RR, or someone else.
When an opponent turtles up they expect me to stand over them from behind or try a turnover, but whats to stop me from doing a darce choke? Seems like no one ever expects that. And they can tuck their chin as much as they want, it won't make the choke less effective right?

clock choke my fren, best fight in world.

take the back, break him down HS wrasslin style, get nuts.

unless its this guy

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
congrats on the tourney hopper!

I'm making my first trip to the gym in 3 months, posting from the bus lol, this gonna hurt!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
lol@ glow in the dark head scissor master. So true. Dont feed the trolls yall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That is really good jaja, no black belt though ;/