Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Acinonyx posted:

The last tournament I went to a guy from my school got DQ'ed for a double leg, from his knees, being called 'a slam' (wrestling ruins everything). This was in an advanced division. It was your basic local clown show in MA.
I've been fortunate in that the tournaments I've gone to have had goof refs.

For example I don't really think this is a slam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL22PCYmUug#t=3m10s
(I can understand refs wanting to keep white belts from developing bad habits and making sure the tournament is relatively injury free. But it is not really a slam in my opinion.)

However the below would be an example of very obvious slamming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JEYai6mM88&feature=related#t=3m50s

To me 'slams' are very specific to what is seen in MMA. (Guy A has Guy B in closed guard. Guy B wants to escape but can't quite do so. Guy B lifts Guy A up and slams him on the ground. Guy A will typically either hit his head and be knocked out, have the wind knocked out of him. Occasionally Guy A is unfazed but this seems rare. Although it's been a while since I've watched MMA so maybe this has changed.)

Someone jumping guard onto you, throwing off your balance making you fall ontop of them isn't a slam. (Ideally you can hold them up, but this isn't always the case.) Pushing someone towards the mat while trying to jerk an arm out of an armbar isn't a slam. Hell getting thrown from a vicious kata-guruma from standing I wouldn't think of a slam either, as unpleasant as it is.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

KidDynamite posted:

What the gently caress?? Did your insurance cover it or something? My mouthguard going to be $300 because insurance doesn't cover it. But boy howdy am I excited to get that thing.

I don't mean to be an rear end but what kind of mouthguard are you getting?

Originally I asked for one and they quoted me one at a similar price. (It was some special mouthpiece with boxing in mind. Very beefy, judging by the catalogue photos.)

The next time I went and asked they were offering a 'sport guard' (IE stays in your mouth on the uppers, used in numerous sports.) Much cheaper.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 24, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah that's why yours was cheap. I'm getting a triple layer one that's made for getting punched, elbowed, kneed, etc in the face. If I was just grappling a boil and bite would be enough for me.

My bad, got confused by all the replies, I thought it was for grappling.

Since you own one, how comfortable is it?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

The amount of time it takes to get a blue belt is pretty nice. I appreciate the fact that it takes a certain amount of time and dedication rather than just passing some arbitrary test. On the other hand it makes me sad, because unless I move somewhere else on a permanent basis, I'll never be anything but a BJJ white belt, no matter how much time I put in.

The belt really does not have any value. All it typically means is a teacher has recognized the time you put in and your skill level. If you have the skills to back it up, wear your own blue belt and compete in blue belt divisions. (Or compete in blue belt divisions as a white belt.)

I remember reading an account from a purple belt in BJJ how he was training with this wrestler in Germany and he just awarded himself his own black belt just so he could compete with senior level people in BJJ tournaments. (Also to kind of troll the people he had sparred with tapped out. After all if they can't beat him, why all the mystique to being a black belt in BJJ?) I have not confirmed such a story, so take it with a grain of salt.

No one can argue with results.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 26, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
$100 a month for the opportunity of 6 days a week, but the building rents for about $1100 per month. (I train with a purple, a whole bunch of blues, and a collegiate wrestler.) I'd say we have about 10 consistent people and various others.

Rent ought to be cheaper for our locale but it ain't because there's a lot of government work in this area (and high real estate prices).

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 4, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
So does anyone have any reccomendation on headgear? I have'nt gotten cauliflower ear per se. There's no fluid build up. But the cartlidge does seem to have gradually gotten thicker over the last 2 years...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 13, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

imtheism posted:

Think it was Mark who broke some dude's arm in the olympics with a kimura while defending a single leg takedown.
Here's one video of it.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

beadgc posted:

Yeah, definately. It's a small, local tournament so the skill level won't be amazingly high or anything, and you're guaranteed two matches so that's good. Plus it's a nice opportunity to get to know the other guys who train aswell :allears:

I too had a competition this weekend. Unfortunately I showed up a half hour past my division... so no comps for me. (it was a 4 hour drive there)

On the plus side my teammates seemed to do pretty well andI got to watch a lot of others compete and that's pretty fun too.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 9, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Alright so BJJ, Judo, and Sambo goons, I'm looking for books/dvds on the following topics:

1. Drills (I've heard excellent things about Galvao's book.)

2. Advanced age (One of my fellow blue belts, who has room for improvement, but you know makes the effort, is 63 years old.) Besides Roy Harris' BJJ over 40 dvd, is there anything out there remotely covering this?

3. Grip fighting

Any suggestions?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 15, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I was wondering if someone could explain something to me. Maybe I'm wrong about this but do the big tournament organizers (Grapplers Quest, NAGA, others I don't know about) hate the west coast?

Here in the Pacific Northwest most of our big local tournaments seem to be in Portland or Seattle.

Could some of the California goons explain who does their big tournaments? In another year or so I would like to try going to one of them.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

This must be quite demoralising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6AVUmGt8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't think it would be that demoralizing for adults. But there are some folks who get freaked out about that kind of thing... (Do you mean demoralizing by losing to a women or losing by such a large margin? Or both?)

I have to say my most demoralizing tournament feat was losing all my matches (5 or 6) in one day. To be fair this was my second comp and I had just gotten my blue belt at the time.

Honestly I did not hear about this event at all, but I'm on the other side of Washington State.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 1, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

dokomoy posted:

I overheard her mom talking to another parent at weigh ins apparently they send her down to LA on a regular basis to train with Eddie Bravo and Tito Ortiz. So at least that kid lost to a pro(also I'm pretty sure she didn't win her division).I saw a lot of adult matches decided by double digit point totals. One girl from my gym won her first match by 20 something points and then fought the same girl again(double elimination and they were the only two girls in the division) and beat her by 20 something again.

Also, I ended up winning blue belt 185 lbs.

Since you went, did they have an overall good turn out? How well was the event run?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Let's Play GUESS THAT MOVE

Pendulum sweep?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Dangersim posted:

What does everyone think of gracie barra? Thinking about training again and theres one right around the corner

I think as an organization it sounds like it has some really dumb policies, but this might vary from school to school. If you can find an affordable, fun place to train, go for it. They do have talented people.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

can you elaborate on their dumb policies?

I recall this being brought up in either this thread or the A/T thread (and have heard something similar from my current coach upon visiting a GB gym a ways away.)

Being forced or extremely pressured into using their gi/rashguard/shirt branded with their tag line.

I know this varies greatly from school to school.

This account seems to convey something similar.

I love BJJ and grappling in general but I have a hard time justifying the sport to more middle class people when folks are advised to spend 130-200 dollars on a jacket and pants when they could have bought one for 40-100 dollars.

There's a difference between selling your merchandise to new folks because hey why not(Most all fitness gyms do this. Yoga mats, towels, heart monitors, etc..), compared to telling them they have to have it.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 14, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

origami posted:

How does one get better at folkstyle wrestling when they're out of school? I just started bjj and some high schooler wrestled the poo poo out of me.

Depending on where you live this may not be possible. (I think one goon said he trained at a gym in Texas that was dedicated to wrestling. But I think this is pretty rare.) However...

1. See if your local colleges (if any) have wrestling teams and ask if you may practice with them.

2. See if there's a local MMA gym, there should be some classes devoted to no gi take downs, usually taught by someone with wrestling experience.

3. If your local high school has a wrestling team, contact one of the coaches and ask if maybe you and him can train or if he has any leads. (For liability reasons I highly doubt you would be allowed to train with those still in high school.)

4. Ask the wrestler in your class what kind of drills he does in wrestling and practice them outside of class. (Pummeling for under hooks comes to mind.)

5. Get some material on gi and no-gi grip fighting and practice that.

6. Train with lots of different people from diverse throwing/takedown backgrounds. (Judo, Sambo, Freestyle wrestling, Folkstyle Wrestling, Greco-Roman, etc..)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I still stand by my theory that he is a murderous sociopath that has coldly perfected his "simple-apeman" act so he won't be banned from competition for destroying people's legs.

I hold this theory for Imanari too.
Pretty sure it has been a while since Imanari has done a grappling competition.

Gonna have to disagree about Imanari. Of the people who's leg's Imanari has destroyed, per you, who have stopped competing?

Consider that out of Imanari's matches in the last 3 years, only 2 have been won by any kind of leglock.

Looking at Imanari's matches between Gurgel and Silva (probably the most notable of his leg locks) they both seem to hold the common theme that his opponents were trying to turn out of a heel hook, and were stopped by the cage.

Imanari vs. Silva
Imanari vs. Gurgel

Also in both of those cases Imanari holds the same pressure constant until the referree comes overs over to verify that his opponent is tapping.

He's not maliciously ripping it out like say Royce Gracie vs. Jason DeLucia.

Imanari vs. Osawa Imanari let's go as the ref intervenes and does not particulary crank this.
Imanari vs. Brown Imanari is attacking with a heel hook. His opponent sprains his knee, falls backward, Imanari turns with him. His opponent dislocates his knee. While the heel hook did contribute it was not the cause.

BlindSite posted:

Hygiene
Just out of curiosity how bad is your gym's hygiene? A list from my old gym and crazy instructor:

1. Instructor said they would get around to mopping the mat and bathrooms (I've seen lots of people use the bathroom barefoot) the following day and not doing so.

2. Gis going unwashed more than once a week, hanging around, stenching the place up.

3. Air flow? gently caress that, crank up the heater and close the door in a corrugated metal building for a summer smoker.

4. People not being good about washing their hands before practice. Or just spritzing their hands after using the bathroom. Take the time to wash your hands properly you fucks!

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 28, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Neurosis posted:

There is tape of me out there in my first BJJ class ever. It's ugly, and I wish a camera hadn't been there to record my shame for posterity.
I know what you mean, on youtube I lost to a flying armbar in 6 seconds in my second competition... At least my name isn't on it. Still extremely embarrassing.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

McNerd posted:

I think a lot of white belts don't know takedowns or guard pulls or anything else from their feet anyway, at least not very well. Maybe they figure it's just as well to try something absurd and land on their back in a crappy guard position that they've at least trained from. Especially since so many white belts have wrestling backgrounds; for those of us who don't, it's probably a better bet to do the stupidest goddamn thing possible rather than actually attempt stand-up grappling like a normal human being.

Not that I'm advocating in favor of this; I'd like to stress that's not the case. Hypothetically I'd rather get experience grappling like a sane person, even if it lands me in side control. Not to mention the danger of injury: a guy from my gym got messed up by a flying armbar too. (Realistically my answer to the question of "How should I, as a white belt with no previous grappling experience, approach competition" is "Don't: if you want to pay a bunch of money to not know what you're doing, go get drunk." But I know that's unreasonable too.)

**Edit, upon rereading your comment I think we actually are in agreement.

Even if you don't know stand up grappling it's better to at least make the effort. Even if you don't know a throw or anything, you can try to pummel for underhooks or fight for grips which make a huge difference.

The last tournament I was at there were a number of attempts at flying armbars in the blue belt division. I think at least 2 of the attempts I saw the folks ended up knocking themselves out.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm just annoyed because white gi was pretty clearly going for a handshake when captain ballstothewall decided to go airborne :[
Both of them handshake at the very beginning of the video...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 23, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Has anyone posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5g8Fuar0U yet? It's beautiful.

Our Gay Sport.

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be parodying the people that feign injuries excessively? Or the folks who promptly try to destroy you when you tell them to take it easy on an injury? Or the folks who say lets take it easy and then go apeshit?

Although the other parody's are pretty good...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RnVqcKdzE&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-RbnuIcuwY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H44OJpuHLqM&feature=relmfu

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

=
P.S.- Neck cranks are illegal in judo. By extension, guillotines are as well. They are viewed as brutish techniques, requiring little skill but a lot of force. That combination seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I would not say they are for monkeys, as when done properly, they are perfectly safe. If any in-experienced and overzealous competitor does it, however, someone's neck is getting broken. That I have a problem with.

Lack of control can kill.
I don't know, most of Judo performed is more or less "brutish". Personally I think of all combat sports Judo tends to have the greatest number of folks getting significant/crippling injuries (Folks getting blown out knees, dislocated shoulders, broken collar bones, etc....)

Lack of control could kill, sure thoeretically. However most of the deaths I've heard about in combat sports are typically are due to abuse or gross mismanagement. (The only death I've heard of in submission grappling was at some BJJ tournament in Brazil the last couple of years. And I'm pretty sure that was the guy's heart giving out from taking steroids and being dehydrated...)

A good guillotene should be mainly squeezing the neck and not bending it too much. If someone is trying something like the Darce choke and really starts torquing on your neck, yeah you can get messed up.But this is from bending the neck excessively, not so much squeezing it excessively.

Also it's your duty to loving tap out from such things. A neck crank start happening that you don't like? Tap early, tap often.

I have my doubts you can even break someone's neck from a guillotene. Sprain the crap out of it and causing severe muscle damage? Sure.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 7, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

henkman posted:

BJJ is the gayest loving sport

Pshaw.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

hopper2k posted:

Interesting interview with Alliance's Jordon Schultz here.

I have always been fascinated with people that give up their careers to focus on BJJ for a living.
I'm actually of the opposite mind set. Those who actually manage a career (or hell even a job) in addition to being high level competitive athlete gets my respect.

I did not particularly care for his interview. Particularly where he hints that Americans on welfare don't starve or that you should always be training, even if your mom dies....

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 5, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Also, on another topic, does there exist tournaments that are Gi-Grappling? I mean like how there's submission no-gi grappling which brings in competitors from BJJ, catch wrestling, sambo, etc. does there exist a non-BJJ "gi grappling" that brings in competitors from Judo, BJJ, Sambo, etc.?

I'm not aware of any gi grappling only tournaments.

However the last I heard the ASA Sambo guys made their tournament rules pretty liberal to get more non-sambo competitors. (Although I think Kurtka are still required.)

Might be worth looking into if you're interested in it.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 21, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Sorry to ask the often asked question but I've spent about half an hour trying through the search feature and google to find good gi websites but I'm not having much luck.

Going to be doing some gi BJJ as well this year and I'm gonna need me some pyjamas.
Do you mean reviews of various gis or which websites you can order stuff from?

This website has a number of reviews on various gis.

As for distribution companies...
http://www.freestylecustoms.net/
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/home.php
http://www.jiujitsuprogear.com/
http://www.brazilianfightwear.com/
http://www.mmawarehouse.com/
http://www.matrat.us/

Personally I prefer Judo gis as I can can a double weave for much cheaper.

**Edit
Some BJJ and Judo gis do not come with a belt. So make sure to get one if you need to.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 28, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Swagger, unfortunately you're wrong.

You can be a carrier for staph/MRSA and not show symptoms.

The thing regarding showering weakening your bodies bacteria... I'm not a medical goon but I'm pretty sure it's BS. I think it is more likely from people scrubbing excessively (removing dead skin), shaving and then showering (and having micro cuts when training), or getting burns in the shower that can lead to folks getting infections. Not you know, actually getting clean. The big list of preventing/dealing with staph...

TLDR, regularly wash your loving hands during the day and before practice, and do your laundry and shower afterwards. You will likely be fine.

If you get blood or some other body fluid on a mat, stop, get a bottle of bleach/biological cleaning solution and clean it up.

Personally I think antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer are a waste, normal soap works perfectly well. Take the time to wash your hands, and you know get a decent lather. Don't be the guy that touches door knobs all day, takes a piss, and just spritzes their hands with water. (I see this at work every day.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 15, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Maybe it's just me but I think that video actually highlights perfectly the problem with BJJ and 'self defense'.

Doing a double leg and getting a mount and holding the guy there is great and all. Then eventually throwing the guy outside and choking him out, sounds good.
However, let's look at this a bit closer.

I think it is more telling that as accomplished as he is, he still ends up in position where he is more or less ambushed. (Where he is sitting and his opponent is standing.) Ryan was able to recover from this and gets the double leg. But what if his opponent just didn't give a gently caress and attacked him from the get go? (I know I know, hypotheticals are so terrible...)

Anyway he takes the guy down, ends up in half guard, passes to mount, stays there for a bit, then for some reason let him up again? Instead of you know, staying in mount and waiting till the cops get there and letting the police escort him out.

His entire group does nothing the majority of the time on the video, from beginning to end. Which is pretty normal in any kind of emergency situations. Groups of people stop, do nothing, nervous laughter, etc...

Beautiful takedown into the door at 4:43, an excellent way to get sued. (I really don't think he is an imminent threat when you know when things seem to have calmed down slightly and he is you talking with his arms down.

I suspect there is more to the beginning of this video, but as it is I'm not impressed. It ends with everyone on a happy note but life is rarely so nice.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

dokomoy posted:

I don't agree with this and I think you're misreading the situation.

First I don't think that at any point Ryan was in danger of being "ambushed" not only is the guy in front of him, but Ryan has enough situational awareness that he takes the guy down as soon as he feels like he's getting too agressive. I think Ryan didn't stand up because he(rightly) felt confident seated and (probably) didn't want to stand up which would have likely escalated the situation.

Remaining seated while someone is towering over you to posture for a better attack is bad for business. Skill level is not an equalizer in being ambushed. (In the sense your brain has to respond to what to the ambusher is doing first, then you have to physically respond. And in that time period they could injure your quite severely, possibly leading to death.) And while it is possible to 'catch up' it is extremely hard to do so. I agree to your other points.

dokomoy posted:

Maybe Ryan shouldn't have let him up the first time, but if that was a mistake it wasn't a mistake of grappling. There's nothing in BJJ that teaches you to let your opponent up from mount. [/quote="dokomoy"]
Yet the mistake was made, he has been training for 8 years in.... BJJ. BJJ teaches you to let your opponent up from mount, when the fight is over. I think folks training with self defense in mind ought to be taught to not make assumptions like that.

I don't think his group was scared or anything either. I think you're confusing the reaction of a group of trained martial artists confident in there ability to handle the situation with that of a regular dude who might be scared shitless. Nobody at that table seemed particularly nervous to me.

My bad, I did not get the feeling there were scared either. However they were not acting. While I can understand the thought of not wanting to make the situation worse, their actions (or lack of) reminded me a lot of how people act in emergency situations even when they are trained to respond. (Many people know CPR/basic first aid, and many people still freeze as a group when responding to an emergency. Actual trained professionals, EMTs, firefighters, etc know their poo poo and can act quite quickly.)

dokomoy posted:

You might be right about the takedown at 4:43 but it's kind of hard to see what exactly is going on, and even if Ryan shouldn't have taken the other guy down that's a failure in judgement, not jiu jitsu.

While this situation wasn't handled perfectly(after Ryan mounts the guy the first time he probably should have kept mount until the cops came) it's a real stretch to paint this as anything other than a successful use of jiu jitsu in a self defense context.

I guess this comes down to what you feel should be taught in jiujitsu. Again out of the places I've been to that claim to be teaching self defense (This is really all martial arts in general and not just BJJ.) Few actually go over use of force, local laws, how grappling with weapons differs from empty handed, etc. And this something I personally feel should be done.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 16, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If he stood up he would immediately be making a threat display to the other guy, which would make violence certain. It would no longer be self defense, it would be Ryan Hall willingly partaking in a fight, which would be terrible for him legally.

I hate to beat a dead horse since it's almost been a full page, but this guy gives a pretty decent write up and describes much better than I, what the problem is if you choose to remain sitting down.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 17, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

So, I am thinking of starting to train BJJ, and i was wondering like, what the absolute essential things i should get before i start. Please bear in mind I am on a fairly tight budget, but i also dont want to gently caress myself up because id rather buy a the right gear than pay a dotors bill.

I am thinking about both Gi and No Gi

e: I am sure this kind of thing was covered somewhere, but this is PSP. Dont Watch Fights, Dont Read Threads.
Absolute essential things (in my opinion):
1. Mouth guard.
2. Pants/shorts with a good draw string on them.
3. A shirt you don't mind sweating in. Ideally one that is not too lose. (A plain white t-shirt has worked well in the past for me.)

If money is tight, you don't need compression shorts or a rashguard although they are nice. On a couple of occasions I've trained in jeans, it is not a big deal.

As for gis, Judo gis are usually cheaper than their BJJ counter parts. The cheapest single weave I know of is around 40 dollars, and the double weave I use would be around 70-80.

It really depends on your tastes. There are days where I'm tempted to put down $140 on a nice BJJ gi.

However, most gyms are fine with you starting gi classes without a gi.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 12, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

beadgc posted:

If you're not using a mouth guard, doesn't it hurt or damage your teeth when you're getting crossfaced or whenever your opponent puts pressure on your jawline? I feel really naked without my mouth guard, I even use it when doing cardio work, just to get used to having it in while being fatigued.

Also grappling in jeans, I can't decide if that's awesome or totally wrong.

I never really had a problem with getting cross faced without a mouth guard.

I did have a problem where I'm defending a very tight choke (rear naked or a lapel choke) and it ends up above my jaw along the bottom of my teeth. In those cases I'd have to tap because I really didn't want to run the risk of loving up some teeth.

However it may have just been having a lot of pressure grinding on the gums.

I never had any actual damage done.

Anyway I don't plan on testing it out any time soon. Maybe it is possible maybe its not.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

What kind of wipes/stuff do people use for post-grappling protection/disease defense? I've moved a bunch of my training to a place that makes it harder to get home right away for a shower so I'm thinking I should start using something like that.

How long of a time period are you talking about?

I don't use post grapple wipes. Usually I'll get home within 30 minutes to an hour and get a shower.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 6, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Chortles posted:

Jigoro Kano might roll in his grave if he heard that he wasn't being counted in the Gracie lineage :haw: (as Mitsuyo Maeda's instructor)

I doubt it. No one seems to recognize the people Kano trained with.

The Gracie family, to be fair pioneered and developed their own thing from what Maeda had taught them. Similar to how Kano pioneered his own art from what he was taught.

Judo and BJJ in general could certainly due with a bit more ackknowledgement and respect between one another. However I think 'purists' in each sport who have been lied to and given into inaccurate histories over the years really don't know better.

**Edit

Actually I'm trying to get a photo of Kano to get framed in my instructor's gym. To go next to Helio's photo. Also looking for photos of Carlos Gracie and Mitsuyo Maeda.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 20, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Before Kano, most jiujitsu was just practiced via non-resistant drills. Kano introduced the concept of randori, which was probably the most important innovation in martial arts in the past 100 years or so.
No, this isn't true. I'm not as familiar on meiji period jujutsu/kenjutsu but for the old systems it typically worked like this....

-Partner practice with the senior on the receiving end, if their juniors are not able to do the technique, then it doesnt happen. At a very low level, resistance might be 'light'. In BJJ if you have someone that is making an obvious mistake during a guard passing drill, maybe you sweep them to show them and they try again. The same very much applies in 'good' traditional jiujitsu schools. If they're making mistakes in passing your guard, then they won't pass your guard. As they get better you ramp up the intensity of it. There is a very good article written on this from a weapons perspective here.

-Randori was practiced seperately. I've also heard of various accounts of folk style/informalized sumo being practiced a lot by folks prior to World War 2. Similar to how in the U.S. we used to have a lot of people growing up 'wrasslin' (Maybe this is a midwest thing, but it was not WWF nonsense.)

Of course there are exceptions to the above. There is no one size fits all description for the various schools of bujutsu.

Later on as Judo grew in popularity, there were a number of schools that eliminated randori. Why? Because they didn't need to do it inhouse. In the early days, Judo was very much a competitive outlet for a folks from a number of different backgrounds. There were a couple of highly ranked Judoka/koryu folks and as they got older I can imagine themselves thinking "Why do I need to do randori at my personal dojo when we do randori at the Kodokan twice a week?"

I'm aware of a number of a couple of modern schools that don't need to do randori during practice. They both have Judo or BJJ programs where folks can do randori.

It is true that there are a number of schools and instructors today that just preserve material and don't do any randori and their arts suffer for it. But that has more to do with the fact that their practicioners are elderly, and fewer practicioners having backgrounds in combative sports where you actually did some fighting.

Chortles posted:

Interestingly, Brian Watson's Kano biography apparently has randori preceding Kano and judo but having been a training method of Kano's first instructor as well.
It really depends on how you define 'randori'. Kano certainly deserves credit for making it safer. But I agree with you that in the sense of free style practice / sparring, it does predate Kano.

Xguard86 posted:

Also of note: The Tokyo police held a tournament in 1886 (1896?)to decide what martial art to adopt for their cops. Judo, despite not having any real striking or eyegouging ballripping wiped the floor with every other style. So this whole "too dangerous to train" poo poo has been disproven for over 100 years, but screwballs still trot that tired line out all the time.
There are a couple of threads on judoforum about that tournament and a lot of the myths surrounding it.

Thread 1
, thread 2.

The whole 'too dangerous to train' thing is vastly over blown. Most legitimate schools don't teach stupid poo poo like eye gouging. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out why you might not want to do some kind of spinal lock or throw someone on their head.

As for Judo's striking techniques, of course its not at the level of boxing or even modern day karate. But the kata do have some basic techniques, which were on par for the time Judo was being developed.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 25, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

Underhook on the far side. Near side arm around the head and connected with a Gable Grip. We'll assume I'm on the right side of my opponent. So my left leg is extended with my right leg driving into the hip.

I'm applying pressure with my left shoulder to the jaw and my chest down on their chest. My head is facing toward their face and tight to the shoulder.

At least, this is what I assume I'm doing. I could be doing it wrong.
In this specific case, I'd say don't gable grip.

Personally I keep that other arm out to post or to fight their arm.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 20, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

What is a nice Judo 101 book? I just started judo and would like a basic study aid, preferably with good pictures. I hit amazon google but there's a lot so I need help narrowing my search.

If you can find a copy of "Best Judo" it is really really good. I got mine at my university book store for like 15 bucks. Probably the best martial arts book purchase I've ever made.

This website has reviews on a number of Judo literature.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

CivilDisobedience posted:

That Ryan Hall article that got posted a while back is right on- the big thing to worry about in BJJ schools in hero worship. It's the instructor's job to help your unique fighting style emerge, so keep an eye on the guys who teach like their way is the only way. They'll give you a good foundation, but in the long run they'll stunt your growth if you let them.

Unless I'm misreading what you wrote, I disagree. (I agree with the rest of your post, just not the part in bold.)

Pretty much all martial arts instructors/coaches everywhere offer what they offer and it is the student's job to succeed and/or develop their own stuff. The instructor is certainly responsible for teaching you some level of a base skill set, however it is up to the student to actually learn it.

I mean if really want to develop a style on foot and leg locks and I'm not doing all that I want with my coach or current gym. Then it is MY responsibility to go to some seminars, do some research, test some things.

Expecting to be spoon fed is stupid.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 12, 2013

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

1st AD posted:

If there were some way they could combine Judo's current rules/scoring and add strikes that would be awesome.
That already exists...(more or less.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

CivilDisobedience posted:

We're stagnating. What can I do to encourage both more flowing and more active sub hunting at the same time?

Unless you're the coach/instructor there is a limit to what you can do.

The only thing I can think of is to tell them directly and mirror the behavior you want them to do. (Of course if they're still ignoring it or not 'getting' it. There is not much you can do.) Plus if they've all been training for similar amounts of time that you have, it may be a very tough sell.

On the subject of avoiding stagnation in the gym. Gettting in new people, getting in people to do seminars or coaches with different backgrounds helps a lot with this.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Does anyone have reccomendations on material for grip fighting gi and no-gi?

I know Jimmy Pedro put out a grip to win dvd, but I can't manage to find it in print. (It looks like he still sell it as part of a combo pack, but it is expensive...Although I am tempted to buy it....)

I think Roy Harris put out a recent dvd for grip fighting dedicated to BJJ.

Who else has made good material for grip fighting with the gi? What about no gi grip fighting? (Submission or standup/wrestling)