Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«38 »
SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

In August Penny Arcade published a strip about Dickwolves doing some raping.

Click here for the full 800x401 image.

This triggered a whole discussion about how surprise sex isn't funny and Penny Arcade shouldn't have published the strip.

This was their apology:

Click here for the full 800x401 image.

And later they removed their dickwolves t-shirts and wrote this post:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2011/1/28/dickwolves/

everyone calm down posted:

Itís true that we have decided to remove the Dickwolves shirt from the store. Some people are happy about this but a lot more of you are upset. You think weíve caved into to pressure from a vocal minority and youíre not entirely wrong. let me at least break down why we did it though.

First of all I would never remove the strip or even apologize for the joke. Itís funny and the fact that some people donít get it, or are offended by it doesnít change that. People complained about the strip and thatís fine with me, my response as always is ďif you donít like it donít read it.Ē It is very easy not to log on to Penny Arcade and read our bullshit. Weíve always made offensive comics and thatís not going to change anytime soon. If jokes about violence,surprise sex,aids,pedophilia,bestiality,drugs,cancer,homosexuality, and religion bother you then I recommend reading a different webcomic.

PAX is a different matter though. We want PAX to be a place were everyone feels welcome and weíve worked really hard to make that happen. From not allowing booth babes to making sure we have panels that represent all our attendees. When I heard from a few people that the shirt would make them uncomfortable at PAX, that gave me pause. Now whether I think thatís a fair or warranted reaction doesnít really matter. These were not rants on blogs but personal mails to me from people being very reasonable. Itís how they feel and according to them at least, removing the shirt would make them feel better about attending the show. For me thatís an easy fix to the problem. I really donít want to have this fight and if not having it is as simple as not selling a shirt then Iíll do it. Contrary to what they might think Iím not a complete rear end in a top hat.

Now for some people removing the shirt isnít enough. They donít want to come to PAX or support PA because of the strip or because they think Tycho and I are perpetuating some kind of surprise sex culture and thatís a different matter. First off it assumes a lot about us that simply isnít true but more importantly itís not something I can fix. Iíve gotten a couple messages from people saying they are ďconflictedĒ about coming to PAX. My response to them is: donít come. Just donít do it. In fact give me your name and Iíll refund your money if you already bought a ticket. Iíll even put you on a list so that if, in a moment of weakness you try to by a ticket we can cancel the order.

So there you go. Itís not a simple decision. No matter what we do weíll have people mad at us. If you want to talk more about it we can chat at PAX.

-Gabe out

This and the previous response triggered outrage in Internet social justice activists even further and spawned a ton of angry blog posts. (And some not so much)

Since blogging simply isn't enough to participate in moral outrage, a tumblr was created.

A tumblr that tries to CAD the whole damned thing.

http://fucknopennyarcade.tumblr.com/

And they fail, completely:

Here are the templates:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...gh4nio1_500.png
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...gh4nio1_500.jpg
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...gh4nio1_400.jpg
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...gh4nio1_500.jpg

This LJ community appears to be the origin of the tumblr

http://fucknopennyarcade.tumblr.com/

Edited for an href

edit: this did not go as planned, sorry guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot

So OP would you say that this is political correctness gone mad?

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Dr Aldous Huxtable posted:

So OP would you say that this is political correctness gone mad?

Hmmm. I sense danger.

I offer no opinion, only a horrible tumblr.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Tim Buckley is a horrible person and anything that lands him in hot water is fine with me.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

I think that tumblr gave me cancer.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

You missed one. On September 1st a character is wearing a dickwolves shirt:

thelightguy
Feb 6, 2007

Well there's your problem.

Let it be known, the internet now hates bad surprise sex jokes more than neo-nazis.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Is it wrong that I actually thought the "tits or gtfo" comic was funny for the wrong reasons?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

I like how the tumblr is all "Women's rights!" when the person being raped in the comic in question is male. And also being raped by something not of the same species, so it's not a gender thing at all

The joke itself was funny, though the surprise sex part unnecessary. That said, the surprise sex part wasn't actually offensive or anything.

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

Jeez... I wish I didn't have to meet him like this.

Penny Arcade is terrible.

Not because of rapes or anything, just because it isn't funny.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

~the boi from brazil~

Lord Solitare posted:

Tim Buckley is a horrible person and anything that lands him in hot water is fine with me.

Wait, buckley didn't draw penn... oh I see what you did there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

reminder that this is literally people thinking "character raped by creature with dicks for legs and is shown to suffer" = "surprise sex is a good thing"

seriously

dicks for legs

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Did someone say 'shootout'?

I have posted like a dickhole and offer a sincere apology. I will refrain from taking things on the internet personally in the future.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

I love how the self-described "humorless feminist" blog poster explicitly states that it's OK to joke about murder, but not about surprise sex.

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot

doritos posted:

reminder that this is literally people thinking "character raped by creature with dicks for legs and is shown to suffer" = "surprise sex is a good thing"

seriously

dicks for legs

No, that's actually not what it is at all.

It's people taking offense at a webcomic making surprise sex into a punchline. No one has claimed that Penny Arcade is trying to say that "surprise sex is a good thing". That's not what this is about.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

If I say I hope the Penny Arcade guys get raped, is that for or against their position?

Because I hope they get raped, by dickwolves.

Spiked dickwolves.

Gomegoth
Oct 8, 2009

Penny Arcade posted:

First of all I would never remove the strip or even apologize for the joke. Itís funny and the fact that some people donít get it, or are offended by it doesnít change that.

Expecting Penny Arcade to censor themselves is ridiculous, but c'mon. Penny Arcade is awful.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Big raping deal. I fully support the PA guys in this. Its a comic, its funny. Get over yourselves. The raging militant feminist even says she has the humor level of a rock and "cringes when she hears jokes because of the inevitable surprise sex joke". Really? She must be so fun so hang out with, and Lord knows the responses she gives when some potential rapist... I mean man hits on her.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Who gives a gently caress?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bronie for Life / Bitcoin afficionado

doritos posted:

seriously

dicks for legs
Well, in defense of those getting outraged over this, the comic does set a bad precedent. One day, you're joking about dickwolves, the next some biogeneticist in Japan whipping one up in a lab. Twenty years later, they're living down the street from you, eating at the same restaurants, going to the same church. It's a slippery slope and I'm glad that some people are principled enough to take a stand against dickwolves.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

I apologise for this and all my lovely posts!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

I ain't got time to bleed.

Well, that's more of an apology than I'd have given in their shoes. I'd probably just link the old Carlin video on this topic and tell people to grow up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcFryjunIjw

Sadly, I can't find the extended original version on youtube, but I think this pretty much sums up what I think their response should have been.

Biscuit McClure
Dec 24, 2004

Which other rubes are riding hot shot sugar?

Pete: ďThis morning I made love to my wife. And she was still asleep, so I didnít have to be gentle.Ē
[cut to Pete having sex with his fat sleeping wife]
Liz: ďThat is one of the most upsetting things I have ever imagined.Ē
Pete: "Are you sure? Think about it again."
[cut to same footage of Pete having sex with his fat sleeping wife]
Liz: Yes!

Noted successful female comedian Tina Fey's 30 Rock, frequently lambasts gender politics and stereotypes with mocking remarks to both sexes and satire. This episode is credited as written by Fey.

Cue blog-based backlash.

http://shakespearessister.blogspot....-hilarious.html
http://bitchmagazine.org/post/tube-...with-surprise sex-jokes
http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?showtopic=847174
http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-t...h-say-bloggers/
http://bluebears.tumblr.com/post/11...gs-share-module

Who loving cares about this 'blog backlash'. It's like a criticism-based Rule 34. If it exists, someone thinks it's horrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

This thread isn't about the television producer responsible for Law and Order at all!

Although watching L&O for eternity would be worse than being raped by dickwolves.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Still surprised how many people in so many places still don't get that surprise sex wasn't even the joke in that comic.

I guess that's why political cartoons have labels on everything.

Canis Dufus
Sep 11, 2001

I think the outrage from most of the critics is aimed at PA's handling of the situation, not the original dickwolves comic. Instead of saying ' sorry if this offended you' or just ignoring the critics altogether, they rubbed it in their faces by turning it into merchandise and offering really churlish non-apologies that only demeaned the concerns of surprise sex survivors and other critics even more.

debacle.tumblr.com contains an excellent timeline of the whole... debacle.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Big raping deal. I fully support the PA guys in this. Its a comic, its funny. Get over yourselves. The raging militant feminist even says she has the humor level of a rock and "cringes when she hears jokes because of the inevitable surprise sex joke". Really? She must be so fun so hang out with, and Lord knows the responses she gives when some potential rapist... I mean man hits on her.

Hahahaha you think Melissa McEwan is a raging militant feminist. I'd hate for you to actually meet a raging militant feminist.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Why did this have to turn into a thing?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The only good thing to come out of Penny Arcade was The Bench, which was a user created comic strip, which they shut down because it was too much work.

Bubba Fuzz
May 3, 2009

They're dickwolves, man. I really don't know what else you would expect out of dickwolves.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

The amount of nerds who think surprise sex is funny far out numbers the ones who don't I've found.
I don't find surprise sex jokes to be funny, it's just bad humour, like dead baby jokes. Lazy jokes to get a reaction from how shocking and zany someone can be.

surprise sex wasn't really the joke in that comic though, so people are over reacting a bit. They're not supporting surprise sex by any means.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

I'm just going to go ahead and edit all of these. This was a bad topic to post in and I apologize.

goldsmith
Apr 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2861 days!

Arch Stanton posted:

I love how the self-described "humorless feminist" blog poster explicitly states that it's OK to joke about murder, but not about surprise sex.

Do you think maybe that's because murder is more or less universally regarded as a bad thing while surprise sex victims are still stigmatized, and the act itself is marginalized as evidenced by many of the creeps in this thread?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

fantastic

There is literally nothing wrong with it. They could have said any horrible thing at all to flesh out the joke that nobody would have objected to.

i got banned posted:

I don't find surprise sex jokes to be funny, it's just bad humour, like dead baby jokes. Lazy jokes to get a reaction from how shocking and zany someone can be.
There's no shock value to the PA joke.
E: Though I should not feel compelled to turn the issue to you to imply some kind of personal barb as that would be needlessly jerkish of me.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Canis Dufus posted:

I think the outrage from most of the critics is aimed at PA's handling of the situation, not the original dickwolves comic. Instead of saying ' sorry if this offended you' or just ignoring the critics altogether, they rubbed it in their faces by turning it into merchandise and offering really churlish non-apologies that only demeaned the concerns of surprise sex survivors and other critics even more.

debacle.tumblr.com contains an excellent timeline of the whole... debacle.

That's nonsense because people are angry about surprise sex and they didn't make surprise sex into merchandise. They made merchandise out of a wolf that has penises for limbs, the thing that many people found funny for some reason.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Det_no posted:

Still surprised how many people in so many places still don't get that surprise sex wasn't even the joke in that comic.

I guess that's why political cartoons have labels on everything.

would be emptyqoting this but gbs has "standards"

so i'll just say that all of you people offended are either trying to be, or too dumb to understand what the joke was

sure, "raped by dickwolves" is funny

but that's not what the joke was even about

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Megaspel
Mar 12, 2007

kodie.me
That's me

Arch Stanton posted:

Well typically the victims of murder aren't as easily offended.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.

i got banned posted:

The amount of nerds who think surprise sex is funny far out numbers the ones who don't I've found.

This is dead on. It's also telling that any time somebody so much as questions the motivations of somebody for making surprise sex jokes, nerds will circle the wagons and rabidly defend their lovely "humor" to the extent that they'll send hundreds of death threats and other threats of violence to people who have been brutally raped.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while.

Luckily there are some who stand up to the injustice of the feminazis for the truly oppressed, those poor male nerds

Thank you Team surprise sex
http://twitter.com/#!/teamrape

Now excuse me while I go vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subgenius
Nov 13, 2002

If you act like a dumbshit, they'll treat you as an equal.

Dr Aldous Huxtable posted:

No, that's actually not what it is at all.

It's people taking offense at a webcomic making surprise sex into a punchline. No one has claimed that Penny Arcade is trying to say that "surprise sex is a good thing". That's not what this is about.

The dick wolves weren't the punchline though, they were the set up. The comic is about how characters in mmorpg's are cast as heroes, but they are actually sociopathic mercenaries who only do good deeds for quest rewards. The dick wolves are only used as an arbitrary horror from which the slave wishes to be rescued. The comic uses surprise sex only to highlight the callousness of the hero who refuses to help the captive.

That being said, it looks like he was trying to turn dick wolves into some sort of meme, and that is pretty tasteless.

«38 »