Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the first step.

:confused: So what is this?

This is, more or less, a support thread for those who keep buying games on Steam's Digital Distribution website (or other sites if you do that kind of thing), but never play them.

Honestly, it's not our fault! OK, well, it is. We keep buying games, say "I'll get around to it at some point", and never do. This is where we rectify that problem.

:confused: Why not use the regular Steam thread for this?

Think of it this way. If you're a horrible alcoholic and you decide to quit drinking, do you go down to the bar and ask for a glass of soda? No! You go to AA meetings and start a 12 step plan. It's the same thing with this thread. Though I don't want to consider this an AA thread for Steam game buyers, wherein instead of encouraging us to buy games, we're encouraging each other to finish them.

:confused: I only have 25 games and I've only played a few...

Sure, come join us! Frankly, it's not so much how many games you have, as it is how many games you haven't finished. If you think 25 games is a lot and only having played 3 is too little, we'll support you.

:v: lol you spent $3000 on games and you've never finishe...

I don't not expect this, however I kindly request you gently caress off. Most of us didn't spend that much. Most of these games were probably bought during Sales. 81% off of Railworks DLC, how can I lose?!

:confused: Are we barred from entering the Steam thread?

No, though I would recommend that you don't go in there. I can't stop you from going in, especially since it's also a source of tech support. Also discouraged is the buying of more games, however, again, can't stop you. I know, personally, that I'll probably end up buying Duke Nukem Forever and Mass Effect 3 when they come out.

:confused: Is this an anti-Steam/GOG/Digital Distributor thread?

Absolutely not. We just want to play through and finish our collections, nothing more.

:confused: So where do we start?

Anywhere you want. I, originally, planned on starting alphabetically. This would, as was pointed out in the Steam thread, get quite boring and annoying. I can't tell you how to start. Perhaps use an RNG?

:confused: Can we play more than one game at a time?

Sure, go for it, but just be aware that it will probably make you complete games slower. Some would recommend playing more than one so you don't get burned out. If you want to play multiple games at a time, I'd recommend a maximum of 2, that way if you get bored of one game, you have another game to fall back on. Anything more than 2 is probably going to be road to disaster.

:confused: What next?

What I'd like to encourage is perhaps a status report of what game you're playing. Screenshots are encouraged, however do remember forum rules about spoilers and nudity, so spoiler and NWS warnings are highly encouraged.

:confused: Are we expected to do nothing but play games until we're completed?

Good heavens no.

:confused: What about Multiplayer Games or games that are repetitive that have no end?

I won't be tracking games that are strictly multiplayer or games that have no end as part of the games that need to be completed. If you've played them once, that'll do. Games like Altitude, Audiosurf, TF2, CS:S, L4D/2, MMOs, etc... are hard to complete if they have no end. As long as you've played them once, that will do.

For games like Torchlight, where there is a main story, but is diabloesque, as long as the main play-through or main storyline has been completed, that'll count as being completed.

At least, that's the plan so far. If you have any suggestions for this, I'll be happy to add some.

:v: This isn't much of an OP...

I know that, it's more or less a work in progress. What's more important is that we start working through our collections.

:v: No it's no :fuckoff:

If anyone has any suggestions to add to the OP, I'll gladly accept it.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
:siren:LIST UPDATED AS OF 11 MAY:siren:

:siren:Currently Playing:siren:

I'm going to try to keep this updated as much as possible, however I highly encourage everyone who has a BackLoggery account to updated it and post it in here so it's always, constantly, updated. When you have created it, post the link to your Backloggery account in the thread and I'll add you to the list below (sometime)

:eng101: Choosing a game
Go to https://www.random.org roll against the number of games you have, whatever number comes up, choose that game from your Steam (or personal) list. Best way to do it.

Alternately, you can use http://randomsteamgame.com/

Or you can go alphabetically.

I, personally, wouldn't go with choosing your game. This can lead you to having a larger quantity of games you have on your list that you don't "feel like playing". Things that come in packs that you wouldn't usually play. If you can get through them, then all the power to you.

:siren: Hint about the way the Backloggery sig dividers work :siren:

Whenever you're playing around with your Backloggery account, just remember, the last game you edited or added will appear on your list. If you've, say, just added your 200+ games collection to your list, click edit on the game you're currently playing, then click save. That game will now appear on your BL sig divider.

WTF I don't want to have to manually enter every game from Steam, I have over 100 games!

Looks like ToxicFrog was nice enough to created a program to import everything over:

ToxicFrog posted:

:siren: Steam2Backloggery update! :siren:

Get it here as usual. Run bin/steam2backloggery.exe (linux/OSX users: lua steam2backloggery.lua - requires lfs and luasocket).

Unlike previous versions, windows users do not need Lua for Windows installed to use the .exe version. This is especially good because some Telltale games (including the Sam & Max episodes) will crash if it's installed.

Fixes:
  • libbl.lua:303 crash fixed

Changes:
  • "unplayed" status supported
  • "unplayed" is now the default status
  • Lua for Windows dependency removed - there is now a stand-alone "steam2backloggery.exe" in the "bin/" directory that should work for any windows user (there's also a categories.exe in there)

Known issues:
  • Compilations are not supported (it'll skip them with a warning message). Support will arrive when I can be arsed to upgrade the scraper to handle the assbackwards way they display compilations in the game list (or when backloggery gets a proper API, ha ha)
  • The windows native EXEs are generated with a new tool which is still relatively untested; when reporting problems, make sure to specify whether you're running the .exe or the .lua, so I can distinguish problems with the tool from problems with steam2backloggery itself

How do I customize my Backloggery page?

Zedd has a small tutorial of how he accomplished his magnificent Backloggery page:

Zedd posted:

I made something to clarify where everything is, the old design was more user friendly then the current version:

My Design: as reference. (clicky)

Where to find poo poo:

So far we currently have:

Aafter

abiogenesis

ACPaco

AesirKnight

Alucard

americanzero4128

Atherny

Awcko

Azruelli

blackhydra866

Bruteman

Cerepol

Chief Savage Man

Chinook

ChrisAsmadi

Colon V

Cubemario

Daktar

Deadlink

Devil Wears Wings

dflanny

doctorfrog

DOUBLE CLICK HERE

Drunk Tomato

Eleeleth

Eh! Frank

EightDeer

fatpat268

Faerie Fortune

Fearian

Geop

Grawl

HappiestBatman

happynoodle

Hemish

Hob_Gadling

homeless snail

iastudent

JumpyMonky

jvempire

Kikkoman

KingCute

KFCB

Legend of Voltron

Little Ampton

lokk

LordAndrew

ManxomeBromide

Master_Odin

mekkanare

mfcrocker

Migishu

Mmann

Morter

Mr. Met

Mr Right

Nevitt

nickhimself

Purple D. Link

quiggy

Ragequit:

ReadMyMind

Red_Fred

Rhontos

RightClickSaveAs

rizuhbull

Robzilla

saberwulf

Saoshyant

Serval

Shachi

SixOhSix

SmokinDan

Soral

Spincut

Sporkles

Substandard

Sun Is Tangging

TemplarNeo

therealjon_

thegloaming

Themage

Thewittyname:

this catte

tokyosexwale

Tortolia

ToxicFrog

Tsurupettan

Turada

VisAbsoluta

Vizrt

Vrikkian

Wezlar

Xik

Zat

Zedd

Migishu fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 28, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hello, my name is Migishu, and I'm a Steamaholic

It's been 1 month since my last purchase, where I purchased the NWN2 collection.

I have played through approx 13 of my 254 games to date. I have an additional 30 or so multiplayer/repetative games.

I have a nasty habit of buying games that look interesting or that I think that I will play in the future, and of course I've never done so.

What game am I going to play? Well, I've chosen a completely unbiased way of doing this. I'm rolling my current number of Steam games against an RNG.

<Migishu> .roll d254
<catteproject> Migishu: 1 (d254=1)

Well poo poo. That makes my first game AvP Classic 2000. Fantastic. Lucky for me I have 1/2 of my collection downloaded (long story short, Canadian Internet UBB scare)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm in here so hard. :cry:
Help me!
Edit: I just went into steam and I clicked on the games under $5, everything looks so good...
Edit 2: Um ok I guess the first game I need to play (finish) is Batman: AA and work down my favorites list.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 6, 2011

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
If you want I can give you admin to my old backlog group I made and you can use that.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonbackloggroup

edit: I'm currently working on a non-steam game (Zelda: Ocarina of Time), but I'm either going to finish Darksiders or Devil May Cry 4 next.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The sunk-cost fallacy is a good explanation of why we buy things without necessarily intending to use it, on account of a perceived "loss" if we don't immediately jump on a discount.

I bought games like Mass Effect and the Quake pack and never touched either. :shobon: I'm guilty of this too. I probably will never get around to actually playing L4D, either.

StockGround
Nov 1, 2010

Reading about all the games on others backlogs makes me want to visit the steam checkout.

Maybe it's best I finish off Divinity II before I get anything else though.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
I spent all of last year buying anything that was on sale, but only playing TF2, L4D2 and Borderlands. So, this year, I've made it a goal to work my way through my now ridiculously large games backlog. So far, I've finished Darksiders and Ghostbusters, and I'm in the middle of Batman: AA, Shank and Dawn of War II. After those are done, I'm thinking about Bioshock and trying to finish up Just Cause 2.

StockGround
Nov 1, 2010

Steam needs to include a "beat that poo poo" check box next to games in the library to make you see how little of your games you've actually played.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Currently sitting at 331 games but instead of starting or finishing anything I keep playing Hitman: Blood Money again and again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

StockGround posted:

Steam needs to include a "beat that poo poo" check box next to games in the library to make you see how little of your games you've actually played.

Lot of people make categories for "Beaten" "In progress" "Not played yet".

StockGround
Nov 1, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Lot of people make categories for "Beaten" "In progress" "Not played yet".

"Not played" would be the dominating category. Nevertheless I'm gonna try that.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Only games on my backlog so far are lovely games that came with publisher packs. I'm really conflicted on trying to finish poo poo like Redfaction 2, Juiced 2, and the first Just Cause. I feel like I should finish these just to try and justify buying the packs, but at the same time I don't want to sit through what will be hours of horrible poo poo.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Sometimes I look at my Steam list and see games I don't even remember buying. What the gently caress is Space Giraffe?

I am sure I got it in some indie bundle that I bought for like, 2 games... I guess? But it's still weird to look at your library and go "I don't even know what this is."

DwarfCatBreeder
Mar 27, 2010
Hello my name is DwarfCatBreeder. I have a bunch a games from the THQ mega pack that I bought for 40 bucks a year a ago, and of course I haven't installed any of them. I then purchased World in Conflict and it's expansion and I haven't installed it either. Probably the worst case I have is I bought Just Cause 2, installed it, did the third mission but I haven't played it since. I love it and think it's awesome, but I just have only a few games that I really just love to continuously play.

Edit for plan:
First game to finish is Amnesia: Dark Descent. I think I'm almost done with it and I think it's loving awesome/terrifying. I just got to the prison and I heard it was the most tear inducing part of the game.

Next up is Just Cause 2 or Morrowind. Either way a lot of hours will be eaten up.

DwarfCatBreeder fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 6, 2011

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Sometimes I look at my Steam list and see games I don't even remember buying. What the gently caress is Space Giraffe?

I am sure I got it in some indie bundle that I bought for like, 2 games... I guess? But it's still weird to look at your library and go "I don't even know what this is."

to be fair you would still be saying this after playing space giraffe, even if you had put down physical cash for a space giraffe preorder at best buy.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I bought the Square-Eidos pack during the Christmas sale because I kind of wanted to play The Last Remnant. I don't want to play The Last Remnant. Oh god, someone help me.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

CubeTheory posted:

I bought the Square-Eidos pack during the Christmas sale because I kind of wanted to play The Last Remnant. I don't want to play The Last Remnant. Oh god, someone help me.

You own Hitman from that pack, play Hitman.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Colon Parenthesis posted:

You own Hitman from that pack, play Hitman.

Well, I'd really recommend just playing blood money and skip the rest but I guess that'd defeat the point of the thread?

Also play Arkham Asylum for the love of God.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Can we also list console games we've bought along with a bunch of steam titles and need to finish?

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
This is a fantastic idea for a thread, I am in like Flynn.

For anyone who has not already done so: calculate the worth of your Steam account and weep. It counts your games at the same time, so it helps if you are planning on using the random number approach. It will also let you check the Steam libraries of anyone willing to share their user ID; mine is ArthurDWolfe for anyone who is curious.

Using Random.org I was told to play Saints Row 2, but I finished that a long time ago... Next it asked me to play through Recettear, so that is what I am getting started on now.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

For anyone who has not already done so: calculate the worth of your Steam account and weep. It counts your games at the same time, so it helps if you are planning on using the random number approach. It will also let you check the Steam libraries of anyone willing to share their user ID; mine is ArthurDWolfe for anyone who is curious.

Found 70 Games with a value of
$1209.31 USD

I think I have beaten maybe 5 or 6 Steam games? This is going to be a long journey...

edit: I can totally exchange some of my 171 hours of Civilization V in to cross some of the games off my list, right guys? Right?!?

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 6, 2011

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I tried the Steam calculator. I clicked the link to ensure that I had my ID number in correctly. Apparently I've been part of Steam sense 1970-01-01. I am totally ahead of the curve. :c00l:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/CowmanII
http://steamcommunity.com/id/CowmanII/

This is my account. The last game I bought was the Cyan Complete Pack not too long ago for $15. Some of these have been bought for me by other goons, and all have been bought on sale. I've beaten a decent amount of my games (around 30 or more) and a lot are more multiplayer oriented or never really end. I've almost beaten Call Of Pripyat, but I've become burnt out on it annoyingly (I'm also right at the end too :smith:) and I'm just at a loss as to what I should play next. I may just need to take a break from games for a while, but if anyone has any suggestions for a refreshing game to play next please suggest it to me. I just found my copy of Dungeon Keeper 2 and have been dueling with it to get it to run on Vista 64-bit, so that's kept me away from my Steam games. This is a good idea for a thread and I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

Edit: I bought the Cyan Complete Pack for Cosmic Osmo, too. I played the hell out of that game as a kid and it's a total nostalgia trip :unsmith:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I'm currently playing through Rainbox Six Vegas 2 for the first time and Mass Effect 2 (which is my first time playing it on the PC... already beat it on the 360)

RSV2 is frustratingly difficult at times. Shame that the competitive multiplayer is practically dead aside from Terrorist hunt.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Glad to see this thread because I always wondered about those guys who said they had 300 steam games (I didn't really believe them!).

I will play all the "hit" games (games like halflife, call of duty, team fortress, etc) and my list is only at 30 games! It amazes me that some people have hundreds of games (I don't think I could justify the cost alone and I am middle class, not dirt poor).

Now I feel like I am in the minority, oh how the tables have turned.

Lion of Norway
Jan 10, 2006

Did you see that, Zach?!
Clear as a crisp spring morning!
gently caress. I definitely qualify. I have 58 steam games, around 35-38 of which are story or level-based single-player games, and among those, I have finished... 6, not counting the HL1 and HL2 expansion mods/episodes. :(

Edit:
Found 53 Games with a value of
$811.98 USD

Lion of Norway fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 6, 2011

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I have some 280 games. I'd wager that I've beaten/played most of half or so. I'm a sucker for those bundles. I also never buy something unless it's on sale. However, I've had the steam account for 6 years or so and my friends and I gift each other games quite often.

Someone be my nag partner

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
55 Games which comes to $916.46. And along with that I have both Humble Bundles and a small list of PS3 games to complete.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Found 130 Games with a value of
$2260.21 USD

I've beaten maybe 20-25 of those? I don't even have most of them installed and I've at least started and played 10 minutes of each at least. Still got a bunch of good games I want to finish though.

EDIT: I remembered that steam calculator only goes by the current value of the games on steam and the account is 6 years old now. Maybe 75% of the games I bought brand new too so the investment for the account is probably closer to $3,000. gently caress I have a problem.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 6, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Found 210 Games with a value of
$3070.91 USD

When I get really bored, I'll add up the actual amount that I paid for all of that.

I've actually have been playing through quite a bit and have slowed down my purchases (well, my current financial situation helps with that). I've been using backloggery.com to keep track of my backlog, and that motivates me pretty well.

Edit:
I added up my actual total that I paid, and it comes out to $1316.91. That price doesn't include all the steamworks games I purchased retail (although, I did add the price if I remembered it).

It pains me to go through my purchased games list of games that I purchased at full price or preordered, and then it turns out I never liked the game enough to play them.

Some examples:
Source Multiplayer Pack $29.95 (Bought it because Garry's mod needed it. Never really cared much to play CS:S or DOD:S)
Shattered Horizon (preorder) $17.99 (Loved the concept, turned out that it played like poo poo on my PC at the time. I can play it decently now, but MP is pretty dead. From the little I did play though, it wasn't that impressive)
Company of Heroes Gold + Tales of Valor $29.98 (Great game from the little I've played with it. But I have such a short attention span with RTS games for some reason)
Killing Floor $14.99 (One of my biggest disappointments. I was excited for it and preordered it. But, the game turned out to be a monotonous repetitive game that was simply not for me)
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West $13.49 (Another game I excitedly preordered. The launch of the game was abysmal with the lack of dedicated servers. Tried to really like this game, but it simply wasn't fun.

It's really interesting to look through my steam purchase history. Makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking when I purchased some of those games. I'm an addict as well.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 6, 2011

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
99 games with a value of 1289 bucks.

I wonder what will my 100th game be. Maybe I should NOT get that 100th until I finish at least a couple of the backlog games, hah.

Maybe I should try advancing in Portal more than the first 5 tests...

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Luisfe posted:

you really should. Such a great game.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Howdy, I'm Fudge Handsome, and while it feels good to know I'm not alone, it feels bad that there are others who are suffering the same way. It feels particularly bad that I have a measly half-dozen or so unplayed games compared to the hundreds some of you described.

I've picked up a few games on sale (Alpha Protocol, Killing Floor, Batman: Arkham Asylum, others) that I've played through start to finish multiple times, but I've still got Jade Empire, Bionic Commando (plus Rearmed), Deus Ex: Invisible War (bought it in a pack with the first one), Torchlight, and Dead Space to play through.

Currently working on Dead Space and having a lot of fun, but Invisible War, Torchlight, and Jade Empire were games I played for something like one hour before I dropped them. I also plan on picking up Dead Space 2 once I'm finished with the first, but I've got those other ones to finish...

I also picked up Worms Reloaded back when it was pre-purchase partly for the TF2 hat but mostly because I played the everloving gently caress out of World Party and Armageddon back in the day and wanted to re-live the magic. It hasn't worked out that way. :(

What's even worse is that over Christmastime, I picked up an X-Box 360 for myself and four games. I have beaten exactly ONE of them (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow) and I'm just dicking around in Red Dead Redemption. I've still got that, Vanquish, and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage to play through.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Luisfe posted:

99 games with a value of 1289 bucks.

I wonder what will my 100th game be. Maybe I should NOT get that 100th until I finish at least a couple of the backlog games, hah.

Celebrate 100 with Bad Rats. You won't be disappointed.

I have about a hundred games and beat maybe 10 of them. I'm working on Recettear (slowly) and just hit Day 23. 200,000 pix? Jesus.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
This thread is fairly offensive to actual alcoholics in recovery.

That said my account is worth about 1500 but I feel most guilty about the games I've bought knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to run them on my current computer.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

The sunk-cost fallacy is a good explanation of why we buy things without necessarily intending to use it, on account of a perceived "loss" if we don't immediately jump on a discount.

I bought games like Mass Effect and the Quake pack and never touched either. :shobon: I'm guilty of this too. I probably will never get around to actually playing L4D, either.

Playing through your entire Steam Catalogue for no reason other than it's a perceived waste of money not to, is a more apt description of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
My name is Silentman and I'm a Steamaholic. I have 92 games on my account and pretty much only play Team Fortress, Beat Hazard, and Audiosurf, and there's a solid chunk of games on the list that my computer can't even run. However, I take pride in the fact that there are maybe 2 or 3 on that list that I actually paid full price for. Buying the THQ and Lucasarts libraries during Christmas sales 2 years ago was really, really bad of me.

Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

Ularg posted:

55 Games which comes to $916.46. And along with that I have both Humble Bundles and a small list of PS3 games to complete.

You know you can add the humble bundles to Steam now right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am a steam addict and I own about 262 games.

Of the 262:
6 have been completed or I won't pick them up again
3 are Beta's
8 are games that I play regulary

I'm not sure if that number is counting expansions etc' but it's close to 240 games unfinished. 240. I know I won't stop buying them, the sales are too good for my brain to let them pass without major regret even though I know the sales will be repeated.