Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Welp. Never ever ever beating my backlog. It's impossible.

Beat - Castle Storm (sorta) - Kinda fun, but at the same time, by the time I beat the main part of the game I was bored and looking forward to it ending. Skipped the DLC. Just no point. Pretty much just enjoyable enough to finish but not any better than that.

Beat - Dogfight 1942 - Very very arcadey flight game. Comically easy more of less. Think I used a couple playfire SAM bucks on it. It scratched an itch, so thumbs up, I guess. If you're into hard core flight sim stuff you should run screaming.

Beat - Gone Home - Goons sure do like arguing about this. Or at least joe random game player does. Whatever. It was interesting. Decent story with a kinda obvious conclusion, but told well and nope. Nobody needs to hear my opinion on this thing.

Beat - Outlast Whistleblower DLC : Did you lik the base game? You'll like this. Did you hate the base game? Well, I kinda think this was better. Seemed to rely on jump scares a bit less anyway. And has a pretty drat hosed up ending. I'm sure there are youtubes if you're interested.

Beat - Walking Dead S2E04 : Still enjoying this game. Maybe not as good as Season 1, but still really good.

Beat - Penumbra Overture : From the Amnesia people. They were still learning their trade, I guess. Not really scary at all. Kinda cool story, and what could have been a decent setting. (But wasn't done that well.) Worth a shot if you're into horror games. I'll probably play the sequels anyway just because I did like Amnesia so much, but I probably shouldn't bother.

Beat - Marlowe Briggs : Hell yes. The $1 steal of the Summer Steam sale. Play this thing right now. Over the top ridiculousness. Enjoyable from start to finish.

Nulled - Killing Floor - Not bad at all for what it is, but just not my preferred run around and shoot dudes game. Give it a shot if it's in your backlog. Maybe it will click for you. It's been in a billion bundles at least. It won't cost you much.

Nulled - Deus Ex - I'm sorry. I tried again. Failed again. This is the third time I've tried to play this game over the past five years or so. This time I didn't even get through the tutorial. It just doesn't click for me. Nothing to do with the graphics being dated. Just not my thing. Oh well. Still plan on trying the latest one at some point.

Nulled - Deus Ex Invisible War - Didn't even try it. Same game play with worse reviews? No thanks.

Nulled/Got killed a few times - Long Live the Queen : Kinda fun, but didn't hold my interest well enough to really play it a bunch. whacked a few times and never really cared. Didn't feel like I was ever close to winning, and never knew what the Hell to study at any given point. Fun, but once again - not my thing.

Nulled - Magicka : Meh. I have so many rpg type games to play. Couldn't get into it. Another case of you might as well try it if you have it sitting around though. Maybe it will click for you, and the drat thing seems to be in a bundle every two months. Grab it cheap.

Nulled - Mountain - Uhhhh. What the Hell. Won my first public steamgifts contest in 6 months and it was for this. I don't mind artsy fartsy things sometimes, but this is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. Stick to that badger simulator.

Nulled - Sega Genesis multi pack or some such poo poo : I think I was drunk and couldn't handle it. Now the link in my game list goes to the store front, so I guess it got removed. I have no recollection of this, but drunk me is prone to uninstalling things really fast.

Nulled - Civ V : I'm not really into sim/strategy games that much. The time stamp on my "review" for this indicates that it was late at night. My lack of remembering writing it indicates there was alcohol involved. Disregard anything I have to say about this game. I'm sure it's good at what it does.

Nulled - Skyward Collapse : Ditto.

Nulled - Tropico 4 : I know drat well this game can be fun, but after trying Tropico 3 a few times I just knew it wasn't for me. Installed, dicked around for a couple hours and uninstalled.

Nulled - Vanguard Princess : No idea how this got on my account. Get out.

Currently playing:
Verdun - Online only squad based WWI shooter with guns that almost always one shot kill you. Good stuff.
LA Noire - Kinda enjoying it, but have a sneaky opinion that I won't finish it.
Miasmata - I have no idea what's going on yet. Wake up on a beach, wander around and use triangulation to mark locations on a map. OK.
Pinball Arcade - 318 hours and counting. 148 of 150 achievements. Never getting uninstalled.
Pool Nation - Haven't played in a while but intend to go back through the single player matches at some point.
State of Decay - Pretty good so far. Not sure I care about helping anyone, but we'll see.
The Wolf Among Us - Final chapter released right around sale time, and someone gifted it to me. Had it on my wishlist for a long time without knowing a thing about the story. First 15 minutes were some serious WTF is this head scratching stuff. Enjoy it so far though.

No longer bothering counting how many games are in my "uninstalled - not played" folder. I give up. I'll never climb that mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Prototype is weird, in that it's a complete blast to sandbox around in, but I've never had any interest to play through the story again. I'd actually rather download someone else's save file, if it came to that.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

So, I'm only three levels away from finishing T.E.C. 3001, but the amount of bullshit has been rising steadily for the last 6 or so levels. Is there any reason for me to finish it, or should I just throw it in the trash bin?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: The Shivah. It's short, and it is pretty all right as an adventure, like people in the thread have said. However, even in the remake, it's clearly the work of a less experienced designer, and I found myself chafing at it after the Blackwell games.

COMPLETED: Saira. Pretty short, a little janky, but I had enough fun with it to not be mad at it. Think a much shorter Knytt Underground with mechanics that haven't been refined yet, interspersed with random action/puzzlebook sequences the way Machinarium did. But less annoying than Machinarium. I went all the places I could find challenges, and got all the items I could get the game to admit existed. I have to wonder how much of the dislike for this game had to do with it not being good value for the money.

I think it's time I finally started seriously playing DROD 3: The City Beneath. I'll probably have "B-Side" games while I'm at it. We'll see how this goes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tony Phillips posted:

Nulled - Deus Ex - I'm sorry. I tried again. Failed again. This is the third time I've tried to play this game over the past five years or so. This time I didn't even get through the tutorial. It just doesn't click for me. Nothing to do with the graphics being dated. Just not my thing. Oh well. Still plan on trying the latest one at some point.

Posts like this make nerds sad.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

So, I'm only three levels away from finishing T.E.C. 3001, but the amount of bullshit has been rising steadily for the last 6 or so levels. Is there any reason for me to finish it, or should I just throw it in the trash bin?

If you aren't having fun, just Null it. You probably have plenty of other, better games to play. You can always watch a let's play of the last three levels.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Posts like this make nerds sad.

I swear to God I want to like it. I'm not trying to be some contrarian rear end in a top hat. I'd like to see what the hype is. It just simply doesn't work for me. No idea why. poo poo. I'll probably try again in a few years.

Glare Seethe posted:

Backlog's down to 67. :)

:patriot:
Something I will never see again.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 22, 2014

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Splatter - Blood Red Edition: A decently fun top-down zombie shooter, takes about three hours to plow through it.

Aura: Fate of the Ages: I'm not crazy about Myst-likes but managed to enjoy this okay. I did Consult UHS a few times for some particularly annoying parts; there is some terrible pixel hunting at times and easily missable things, but I got through the majority of the actual puzzles on my own. It's very, very janky, though.

Medal of Honor(TM!!) Single Player: This is the 2010 game. Campaign took me four hours and satisfied my yearly quota for dumb on-rail military shooters.

Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition: Like Dead Space but with a worse everything. Enjoyable in its own kind of terrible way. Melee combat was repetitive but satisfying, boss fights decent. Like Aura, it's pure jank.

Backlog's down to 67. :)

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

If you aren't having fun, just Null it. You probably have plenty of other, better games to play. You can always watch a let's play of the last three levels.

Done. Moved Mark Of The Ninja into the clean up category, since hunting for the last achievements will give me a reason to play the DLC levels. Also moving The Darkness II into the active slot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tony Phillips posted:

I swear to God I want to like it. I'm not trying to be some contrarian rear end in a top hat. I'd like to see what the hype is. It just simply doesn't work for me. No idea why. poo poo. I'll probably try again in a few years.

Have you played Human Revolution? It wouldn't be totally crazy to start there. It has a far more cinematic presentation. If you start to appreciate that type of gameplay, then it shouldn't be too hard to ease in to Deus Ex 1's gameplay. I realize that trying to convince someone to un-null a game and then add another game to their backlog is totally against the spirit of this thread but...

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Have you played Human Revolution? It wouldn't be totally crazy to start there. It has a far more cinematic presentation. If you start to appreciate that type of gameplay, then it shouldn't be too hard to ease in to Deus Ex 1's gameplay. I realize that trying to convince someone to un-null a game and then add another game to their backlog is totally against the spirit of this thread but...

I have both the directors cut of HR and the Fall in the ever increasing backlog. Havent touched either as I always figured I should try the original first.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also couldn't get into the original but enjoyed DE:HR. The Fall is a disasterpiece

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tony Phillips posted:

I have both the directors cut of HR and the Fall in the ever increasing backlog. Havent touched either as I always figured I should try the original first.

Seeing as story-wise its a prequel, I suggest just starting with HR. If you can't enjoy that, then you know for certain that that type of game just isn't for you.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Seeing as story-wise its a prequel, I suggest just starting with HR. If you can't enjoy that, then you know for certain that that type of game just isn't for you.

Fair enough. (Didn't know that it's prequel)

For what its worth, I also didn't really care for Dark Souls (quit roughly 90 minutes in) and found Hitman franchise supposed pinnacle Blood Money annoying and dull. (Got to the 3rd or 4th mission before I tired of getting spotted and trying to shoot my way out of places.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You don't have to stealth it. There's no real penalty for just running and gunning, the game works for all different types of playstyles. The different endings of the game are all accessible at the end no matter how you play the game up until that point.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
COMPLETED: Expendabros - Anyone who doesn't own Broforce (or hasn't played the free demo/beta) should check it out, it does a good job highlighting all the good parts of game and is a much better game than the Expendables 2 game that released back a few years ago.

COMPLETED: Shadowrun: Returns - This felt very brief, the level design is far too linear for an RPG. The game suffers from trying to pile out a tonne of different ideas together and hoping they stick, both in terms of the story and gameplay. I will eventually play Dragonfall (which is supposed to improve upon everything), but I've also heard that the player created content is a cesspool or :rape: and other terrible ideas.

BEATEN: Abyss Odyssey - I only found out that ACE were making this a week before it released. I immediately picked it up and played the heck out of it. It plays out like a mix between Super Smash Bros and :darksouls:. I enjoyed everything about the game, the design, the music, the lore you find out from journal pages and the soldiers, and the ability to play as any character (including the Final Bosses, if you're skilled enough). I would recommend picking this up if you're a fan of Zeno Clash's art design.

Currently Playing:
  • Always Sometimes Monsters - I'm trying my hardest to enjoy this game and though the story is really engaging, the gameplay is monotonous and makes me want to NULL this immediately. I'll give it a chance.
  • The Banner Saga - I took a break from this for a while as I found the combat to be tough and unfair. Here's hoping a fresh start will change my perspective.
  • Killer is Dead - "Dear Sudo 51, please release 'No More Heroes' on the PC someday. I bought this game in the faint hopes that if it did well enough on Steam, it would warrant more of your games to flock over to the PC. Hope you are well and haven't been carted off to a mental asylum, love PowerBeard.
    P.S. And I guess also 'Lollipop Chainsaw', though I haven't any idea why people liked it."

• Rayman Origins - Platforming perfection, I'm enjoying every moment at it and it's checkpoints are great for someone as terrible at platformer's as me.
  • Saints Row: The Third - Getting into this proper, I'm finding it to be much more forgiving and enjoyable then Saints Row 2.
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown - This game loves stomping on my hopes and dreams and like a fool I love it back.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

COMPLETED: Shadowrun: Returns - This felt very brief, the level design is far too linear for an RPG. The game suffers from trying to pile out a tonne of different ideas together and hoping they stick, both in terms of the story and gameplay. I will eventually play Dragonfall (which is supposed to improve upon everything), but I've also heard that the player created content is a cesspool or :rape: and other terrible ideas.

The dev will release an improved version of Dragonfall soon. It will be free for previous owners. Might be best to wait until then, at least that is what I am doing.

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

Six games I've never even touched. Time to get started :)

Currently playing;
Starcraft 2: Wings of liberty: Old but still great game, still enjoying when I get time :)
Dwarf Fortess: Great game, very addictive probably no way to complete this game.

Need to finish
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Enhanced: Controls are just horrible on PC, gameplay and story are fun but the port lets it down a bit.
Amnesia: The Dark descent: Might be a bit of wimp but this game gets way too scary near the end, does watching pewdiepie play count as playing? :D
Company of Heroes 2: This is a good game but gets a little repetitive after a while, mostly whelping your own Solders on the Russian side as Germans attack lol.
From Dust: I think this game is fun but after a while the challenges become a lot like others so only really fun if there is no other way to spend afew min a day.
Hotline Miami: Awesome game but gets very hard later on.
Contagion: Great zombie game but multiplayer is a lot more fun than the single player modes :)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City: Will have to come back to this at some point, my old router made it that I could only play with 1/50 people for some reason.
Silent Hill: Homecoming: Not sure why I gave this game up, was really fun.
SimCity 4 Delux: Another fun game for building a city and seeing how far you can take it. Have to be good at planning and multi tasking to win.
Surgeon Simulator: Very fun game but controls make it easy to screw up your joints after playing too long.
The witcher: Enhanced Edition: This game is really bad, maybe the other witcher games are better but first one. After reading the books this version of the witcher is very weird to play.

Not played yet

Borderlands
Left 4 Dead 2
Metro 2033 Redux: Just bought this one, the old metro was fun but got stuck at one point and no way around it but restarting or using saves :(.
Outlast
Sniper Elite V2
Tropico 4

Kuromyneko fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Bulletstorm - Glad I gave this game a second chance. I love that the slide is faster than sprinting. I slid as much as possible, and kicked as much as possible.

BEATEN: The Darkness II - A pretty solid story shooter, that cycles between action levels and casual walkin'n'talkin levels. The powers are fun and add to the combat options rather than feeling like a bad gimmick.

BEATEN: Bioshock: Burial at Sea - Story aside, it's loving gorgeous and I'll miss this series.

BEATEN: Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches - Fantastic 6 hour campaign. I somehow still ended up with low chaos ending despite actually dishing out some pain this time around. I guess I just didn't get caught very often so I didn't have to fight much.

ONGOING:
Alpha Protocol - Giving this a second chance.
Borderlands 2 - Mostly only playing with friends.
Botanicula - Lunch break game, will be finished soon.
Deadlight
Hard Reset - Giving it a second chance, running n' gunning this time.
Hitman Absolution - After Blood Money didn't support my 360 gamepad I went with this one, knowing it doesn't match up. It'll be ok.
Teslagrad - Just not super motivated to get back to this one yet.

SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE:
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Arkham Origins, Castle Crashers, Chronicles of Riddick, Dust: An Elysian Tail, FEAR, FLY'N, The Last Remnant, Left 4 Dead 1/2, Mass Effect 2, Mini Ninjas, RAGE, The Raven, Red Faction: Armageddon, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, The Swapper, Thief Deadly Shadows, Trine 2, The Walking Dead S2, World of Goo

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
:siren: Depression gaming :siren:

COMPLETE: Always Sometimes Monsters - I was looking forward to this when I saw it come up on Steam. I was expecting a mature game that wasn't going to shy away from the tough parts of life. The game does it's best to make you as depressed as possible. Feel like you're doing something right and good, prepare to have your day dumped on. By the end of the game I wasn't able to look at myself the same. I might even try play the game again to see if I could avoid some of the terrible tragedies that befell my character. The ending is a bit of a mess, but a game like this is about the journey, not the destination. I'd recommend giving this a look if it ends up on sale / when it eventually ends up on an Indie Bundle.

COMPLETE: The Walking Dead: Season 2 - I completed this soon after Always Sometimes Monsters and I actually felt more moved by ASM. This Season just seemed to be much weaker than the first. The biggest crime of all way that the ending felt so hollow and pointless, there wasn't even any music to close it off. Maybe I'll feel better about it next week, but there's no need to rush out and play this immediately like the first season.

Man, I'm feeling bitter, time to play Saints Row 3 and hope it gets me out of my funk! :(

drat, it's impossible to be sad and play Saints Row 3 at the same time.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 27, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: The Darkness II - A pretty solid story shooter, that cycles between action levels and casual walkin'n'talkin levels. The powers are fun and add to the combat options rather than feeling like a bad gimmick.

It has a 4 man left4dead style multiplayer that's not half bad if you ever feel like it. Its not left4dead good and too easy by far but its all right and the content is fresh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Goofballs posted:

It has a 4 man left4dead style multiplayer that's not half bad if you ever feel like it. Its not left4dead good and too easy by far but its all right and the content is fresh.

Yeah it's actually like a proper second mini campaign with its own story and characters. It's really goddamn good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Null: Phantom Brave, The Red Star, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, King's Field: The Ancient City, Age of Mythology, Alice, Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery, Carmageddon 2, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, Floating Point, Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok, Hegemonia, The Last Remnant, Rock of Ages, They Bleed Pixels, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

A brutal purge of games I got in bundles and will never play, games I enjoyed when I got them but never finished and have no plans to revisit, and games that are just too difficult and/or tedious for me to make any progress on.

Now playing: Valkyrie Profile 2 on the desktop, Bionic Dues and Advance Wars DS on the laptop.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I rarely step in to the Games threads, but, man I saw this thread and was like, this is for me. I hope to be like you all one day and own over 300 games :allears:

I currently have only 23 babies bought through Steam (some were free). Mostly are old games because it's all those I couldn't play before thanks to former lovely computer or simply because nostalgia.

And poo poo goes like this:

Completed:
Black Mesa
Dishonored(two DLCs included)
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 episode one
The Witcher
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

Incomplete:
Alice: Madness Returns
Bioshock*(I hadn't had the chance to play Bioshock ever in my life,just started today and the drat game crashed)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth
Dead Space*(Game it's amazing, I just got too busy for a couple of months and forgot about it, will start playing again soon)
Dota 2 *(Didn't like, won't ever play again)
The Expendabros
Fable,The Lost Chapters
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Hotline Miami
Blood Omen 2:Legacy of Kain
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Portal

Never ever played. Or maybe one of these days:
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain:Soul Reaver 2 (I actually finished this one years ago)
Portal 2
Team Fortress 2

WILL BUY ONE OF THESE DAYS
Far Cry 3
Dead Space 2
Assassin's Creed
Left 4 Dead

And because Bioshock crashed, I went on playing Dishonored again, this time trying to get the low chaos ending.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Incomplete:
Dota 2 *(Didn't like, won't ever play again)
Team Fortress 2

Those are both multiplayer-only games with no real "ending" and are tailor-made for Null even if you play them regularly.

quote:

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

And this is like an hour long and has some interesting technical commentary, might as well blow through it some afternoon.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Those are both multiplayer-only games with no real "ending" and are tailor-made for Null even if you play them regularly.

And this is like an hour long and has some interesting technical commentary, might as well blow through it some afternoon.

Yeah,I discovered I'm not much in to multiplayers. But if you can recommend me any first person ones,I'll be grateful :)
And Half-Life 2: Lost Coast? I was saving it for after finishing HL2,episode 2. But the game got frustrating for me at certain moment...so maybe one day.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah,I discovered I'm not much in to multiplayers. But if you can recommend me any first person ones,I'll be grateful :)

Multiplayer first-person games? TF2 and L4D are already on your list and both qualify. Portal 2 has a multiplayer co-op mode and is excellent (but finish singleplayer first!). I don't do a lot of multiplayer gaming myself, but I've also enjoyed Killing Floor (co-op), Blacklight Retribution (team-based competitive, F2P). I've also heard good things about Borderlands 2's co-op.

quote:

And Half-Life 2: Lost Coast? I was saving it for after finishing HL2,episode 2. But the game got frustrating for me at certain moment...so maybe one day.

In terms of storyline, HL2:LC is set during HL2 proper; it's based on a level that was cut from HL2 before release. In terms of publication order, it was released after HL2 and before HL2e1. So the best time to play it is probably right after HL2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've already completed 4 more games in the last 2 days.

BEATEN: Deus Ex: The Fall - What a trainwreck of an iOS port. It's like if Human Revolution had a sequel that was released on Playstation 2 and then remade on Vita and then ported to PC. So half of the game is HD and half of it is a low-textured/low-poly mess, all the Human Revolution game mechanics are present but compromised, enemies fall over like it's 1997, and hilariously the game ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. If it is, I do not care how.

BEATEN: Alpha Protocol - Started and beaten in a brisk 12 hours. The spy stuff is actually fun once you get out of the initial "modern shooter" location.

BEATEN: Hard Reset - Hard to recommend this game. Not enough variety and very bizarre level design.

BEATEN: The Expendabros - Technically it's a demo but whatever. It's almost like an Apogee shareware version of Broforce.

ADDED: Full Bore - Block-puzzler meets open-world Fez-like design? I'm in.

ADDED: Tiny Barbarian DX - It's no Shovel Knight but it's alright.

ONGOING: Arkham Blackgate, Binary Domain, Borderlands 2, Botanicula, Deadlight, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Hitman Absolution, Teslagrad

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Multiplayer first-person games? TF2 and L4D are already on your list and both qualify. Portal 2 has a multiplayer co-op mode and is excellent (but finish singleplayer first!). I don't do a lot of multiplayer gaming myself, but I've also enjoyed Killing Floor (co-op), Blacklight Retribution (team-based competitive, F2P). I've also heard good things about Borderlands 2's co-op.

The English was bad in me last night Hahaha, sorry. It's not my first language. I meant that I don't like multiplayers that much.
But the thing I love the most are first-person shooters/games, as you can see in my list. Anyway, thanks a lot for the recommendations! :)

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

Counterstrike: Global Offensive is very fun and a lot of goons are playing it.

You might wake up with your face stuck to the floor, surrounded by red bull cans and cheeto dust five years from now if you start playing and you could trace your poor life choices back to this post but its a fun game

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

The English was bad in me last night Hahaha, sorry. It's not my first language. I meant that I don't like multiplayers that much.
But the thing I love the most are first-person shooters/games, as you can see in my list. Anyway, thanks a lot for the recommendations! :)

Aah, you want singleplayer FPS games!

There's a lot of classic ones I can recommend. System Shock 1 & 2, Pathways into Darkness, Strike Force Centauri, the Marathon trilogy, Deus Ex, Descent 1 and 3, Blood, Dark Forces. I didn't really like Doom or Duke3d that much, but Brutal Doom and Duke3d: War of Attrition I enjoyed.

For modern FPSes, the list is not as long. Painkiller, Bulletstorm, and Serious Sam 3 come to mind.

If you are also open to first-person games that are not entirely about shooting, I strongly recommend Thief 1 & 2 (stealth), Dishonoured (also stealth), and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (kicking people down the stairs simulator).

VenusInFurries
Apr 12, 2014

<3 tsalaroth
There's also a need to mention Wolfenstein: The New Order which is the best FPS I've played in years. Seriously that game is fantastic, go play it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

VenusInFurries posted:

There's also a need to mention Wolfenstein: The New Order which is the best FPS I've played in years. Seriously that game is fantastic, go play it.

I haven't played it, but that reminds me that I quite enjoyed Wolfenstein 2009.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beat: Crusader Kings II

I hadn't played a game of CK2 since right after the first major DLC was released and it has changed a whole lot. I conquered the whole world as Vikings in my game so I'm going to kick it down to my Pipeline category for when I feel like playing it again. I usually have one Paradox game going at any point and when I get around to it, I am probably going to start a Darkest Hour game.

Nulled: GRID 2

I enjoyed it quite a bit, at least until the fourth season began and all the cars turned into ridiculously twitchy cars that were too fast for the tracks, turning me from a pretty successful driver to somebody who can't get through the first lap of a race without using up all my flashbacks and wrecking the car. Oh well.

Right now my active list contains:
Age of Mythology: Extended Edition - This is a long game but it reminds me of my childhood and its still pretty fun. I'll beat it eventually.
Arma III - Playing the campaign and having a decent enough time with it. I just have to save often to preserve my sanity.
Batman: Arkham Origins - This is kind of like Assassin's Creed to me, it's more of the same formula but I enjoy that formula. Eventually I'll get tired of the side stuff and just blast through the story.
Kerbal Space Program - Started with the new career mode, it really has a lot more direction than it used to.
Transistor - This really should be a quick one to play through if Bastion is any indication but I haven't gotten around to it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
While I've played Witcher 2 the last few days, I still found time in my busy schedule to play some gold nuggets and some dingleberries.

Finished/Beaten/Done

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Wow, this really surprised me.
A beautiful action adventure game where you control 2 characters at the same time using your gamepads analog sticks.
I must admit I was a bit wary about that last part, as I'm usually handling a gamepad like a spaz, ie. I'm really bad at it, but everything was smooth as butter.
The story was great, the graphics fantastic and really set the mood, and the length of the game, around 4 hours, was just right.
If you got it in your library, go play it now!

Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride
Hidden Object/Adventure game from Artifex Mundi. I got to admit, either I'm playing too many of them and start to feel a sort of fatigue, or the latest ones are just way too much story and only a few Hidden Object scenes. I want to find crap in a big pile of crap, dammit!

Hexcells
Why have I had both this and the Plus version in my library for so long and never played it?
This is the perfect puzzle game if you need some time off of Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. It's an extended version of Minesweeper with a lot of interesting mechanics to let you figure out which board pieces are safe and which ones are not.
Add in some soothing chill-out ambient and a great minimal design.
I'll definitely grab the third game in the series, Hexcells Infinite, next week.

Mountain
I added it as Done, as this "game" really doesn't do anything. I found out you have piano keys on your keyboard and can play small tunes. I looked up the guides on the game hub, and tried the all out and that's it.

Nulled/Sent to the crap pile

Airship Dragoon
It was a too Traditional Uber-Hardcore Turn-Based Steampunk Squad Tactics game. And since it made no concessions to casualization, I uninstalled it.

Alpha Kimori Episode One
One of those RPG Maker games. Ugh.

Bird Assassin
I have a nagging feeling this is done by Lowtax & Co. just to prove that anything, even babbys first 2D shooter, can get on Steam.

Dead Bits
A 3D blocky/minecrafty shooter with zombies or some poo poo, on floating platforms with lots of holes you can fall through. Destroyed blocks also keep being part of the world until the have completely faded away, which means you are stuck in geometry most of the time.

Jamsouls
This might be fun in local co-op, but didn't see anything in this 1 screen shooty platformer.

Midnight Club II
It was probably cool when it came out, and the few cars I drove, had great handling, but this racing game really looked dated even though it had HD settings.
I've seen people having trouble running it, but my version ran without any tweaking on a Win7 64. That's pretty amazing for a Rockstar game on PC!

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
First of all, I have to say I loved the graphics style of this puzzle platformer, but I don't know why it is, but I really, really don't like "clone" games. I can't really explain what it is, but that particular mechanic is just not working for me.

Trace Vector
It's a runner-like game, like Bit Trip Runner, where you have to hit up, down, slow time and probably some other things I never got to before quitting.
It looks like an 80s vector graphics game and has a soundtrack that matches, which is actually pretty cool, but the game was just too frustrating for this mans slow reflexes.

Who's That Flying?!
A 2D sideways shooter with a fun gimmick that being hit doesn't hurt you - letting enemies pass you, hurt the city and the game ends.
Some great cartoony graphics and a few Uranus jokes that made me snicker even if I've heard them before.
Biggest problem though was the load times. It took 15-20 seconds every time it needed to load any new screen, even just a scoreboard and "Continue mission?" button.

Wolfenstein 3D & Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny
I knew I didn't care for them, but ever since I found that level in the new Wolfenstein game, I had to try them out.
The games are cool when you know the history and what they set in motion, but they are mindlessly boring by todays standards.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat - Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted

OMG IT'S THE QUEEN :aslol:

Beat - Expendabros Game loving owns.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 31, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat - Painkiller Hell & Damnation. Gonna copy my thoughts here:

quote:

I just played through Painkiller HD and loving ugh what a terrible game. Like, it looks nice and sounds the same and mostly plays like the Painkiller and there are some of the same levels but at the same time it's a mockery of the original game.

The story is ludicrously lovely. I mean Painkiller wasn't great but it was better than this unintelligible crap. The boss fights are busted and boring. Where's my crazy physics bricks and poo poo against the giant? Why does the swamp monster just walk in a circle and do loving nothing?

And maybe this was part of the original game by why are some of the levels so loving big and boring? A game like this doesn't need half hour long levels full of spawns that trickle enemies at you and giant loving rooms full of nothing. Certain levels are tight and well paced and those I have fun in but the others just make me want to turn it the gently caress off.

And two very specific things, gently caress whomever thought "collect all ammo boxes" was a good tarot card challenge in the game's longest level. Also gently caress the artists who couldn't even come close to the rad fireworks in that one level, they look like poo poo here.

Also gently caress whomever thought cutting out the plague town was a good idea. That goddamn level was iconic.

I've since learned that iconic town was added as paid for DLC. Also all this made me do was wonder if Painkiller was ever actually good or just good for its time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Paper Mario Sticker Star - I don't care that people hate this game, I loved it. It is a few levels too long, but every level has an interesting idea, it's still goofy like a Paper Mario game, the Thing combat animations are loving great. By the end of the game I was hunting down Secret Doors just to find new Things so I could see what they do in battle.

BEATEN: Hitman Absolution - Even though this is the most playable Hitman on a gamepad, and controls really well, the actual game design is super bad, which is a real shame. The story content is pretty awful too. Some of the solutions are pretty clever, but it's not very organic.

BEATEN: Tiny Barbarian DX Episode 1 - This came with Full Bore in a Humble Bundle, and it was a cute little arcade game. It felt like something I'd see on TIGSource, but that's okay. I like the idea of it being bite-sized like an NES game, but having additional installments of the same length added as free DLC. I think that's cool.

BEATEN: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Thumbs sideways. If this is an advertisement for the type of gameplay in Far Cry 3, I'm probably not interested in buying Far Cry 3. It's a little lethargic, the gun feel is pretty lovely. Armored enemies were a pain in the rear end. Just wasn't feeling it.

BEATEN: Super House of Dead Ninjas - Came back around to finishing this game after getting my rear end kicked by the final boss so many times. I finally pulled it off. The actual attack patterns weren't that hard to avoid once I stopped panicking.

ADDED: Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton - Puzzles'n'tricks
ADDED: A Story About My Uncle - Played for a half hour, seems cool so far, running jumping n' grappling in a weird world.
ADDED: Deadlight - May have added it before but just started it this weekend. It plays like Another World! This rocketed my interest in the game significantly.

ONGOING: Full Bore (LOVE THIS GAME), Botanicula, Arkham Blackgate HD, Teslagrad, Binary Domain

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: HexCells. I took a look at this after Fart of Presto liked it, and yeah, this is pretty nice. 100%ed it in a couple of hours, and it's super-chill.

NULLED: Dyad. Pretty shiny looking, but the gameplay isn't doing much for me. It's a Tempest-style "edge" shooter, but you're aiming for hitting enemies in color groups. Lots of opportunities for stunt play here, but I don't seem to have the energy for that.

IN PROGRESS: DROD 3: The City Beneath. Why are these games so good :supaburn: I've just finished hitting the last of the tutorial zones, which has actually spoiled no small number of minor puzzles from the first couple of games. That said, the puzzling for this one has been super-smooth, even in some of the incredibly vicious rooms. Then again, I suppose it took awhile for the gloves to come off in Journey to Rooted Hold, too.

POKED AT: Legend of Grimrock.
POKED AT: Might and Magic 8: Day of the Destroyer.
POKED AT: Shadowrun Returns.

I kinda want to play these, but DROD overloads whichever part of my brain likes playing RPGs, ao I fire it up for five minutes and then I just quit out and fire up DROD again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Updates!

Progress:
Age of Empires 3: Complete Edition
Age of Empires 3 - [Act 1] [Act 2] [Act 3: 5/8]
The Warchiefs + The Asian Dynasties, not started.

I played this for like 20h~ online when it came out, being a massive fan of AoE1, AoE2 and Age of Mythology. It's actually a really solid game but just didn't grab me that much. Playing the singleplayer is a lot of fun so far, but man those old school RTS cinematics are very hokey nowadays.

Rock of Ages: Level 14/23.
I bought this on release and never got around to beating it, it can be frustrating but man is this game a ton of fun in small bursts.

Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry
Standalone version of the Freedom Cry DLC for AC4; I am a shamelessly hooked on this series so I will beat and 100% this. :shepface:

Beat/Completed.
Long Live The Queen: (Beat) Pretty drat fun game, bit trail and error but I really liked it. I somehow became an Imperial tyrant. :black101:

Dark Souls II - Crown of the Sunken King (Beat)
Dark Souls 2 is a great game, there has been a bit of (partially deserved) criticism but the game standalone is really great.
This DLC had two zones and bosses better then 80% of the main game or so; if you liked DS2 the season pass is recommended for sure.

Speaking about Dark Souls...
Portal (Completed), Orcs Must Die! 2 (Completed), Dark Souls 2(Completed)

New Games: :suicide:
Blackwell Unbound - The Blackwell Deception - The Blackwell Convergence
The Blackwell Legacy - Dishonored - Sniper Elite V2
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - The Walking Dead: 400 Days - The Wolf Among Us
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - Long Live The Queen - Singularity
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - McPixel - Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon
FTL: Faster Than Light - Batman: Arkham Origins: Cold, Cold Heart - Card City Nights
Age of Empires III: Complete Collection