Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

MrSlam posted:

I should go back and give this a proper college try. Tropico 1 was too tough on my little kid brain, but since then I've cut my teeth by completing Tropico 3. I briefly installed Tropico 2 and felt overwhelmed immediately. I wonder if I've matured enough to handle it?

The campaign is designed to teach you the game basically, so if you tried one of the other modes and got lost I'd give that a go with the tutorial turned on (which you can turn off once you've got the basics down). The game gives you a lot of information about a lot of things but in actuality like 50% of it is marginal in importance unless you're min-maxing (pirate/captive skill levels, for instance). Generally what's most important is managing pirate happiness and having lots of captives (raiding settlements is a huge priority). I think it does a good job easing you into it, though it also skips over a few things (like cemeteries, which turns out are actually super useful!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Zen Puzzle Garden. I think it ultimately wore out its welcome, but it managed to do a lot with a really simple mechanic. I'd called it ice-sliding puzzles before, but it's actually ice-sliding with pushable barriers and the ability to create your own walls to a limited degree. That changes the dynamic enough that I'd have been happy and excited all the way through if it were, say, 50 puzzles. It was 64. So I'm complaining, but only a little.

REVISITED: Wolfenstein 3D. Spent 2.5 hours re-clearing episode 1 on the default difficulty. It's still a ton of fun, but the controls are not really up to modern standards. However, it's also very clear that they're making up for this with a bit of quiet aim-botting. It was very common for enemies to get tagged just because I was pointed in their general direction... which is good because the smallest amount you could rotate or even step would have moved them too far the other way.

POKED AT: Quake. Would you believe that the only FPSen I played between Wolf3D and Portal were the Descent games and Dark Forces 2? Because I'm pretty sure that's the case. I'd poked at a handful of others over the years but it wasn't really my thing, and that meant that, among other things, I never beat Doom and I never even played the Quake games.

Man, Quake 1 does not hold up. They're so enamored of their shiny new actual 3D capabilities that coherent level design suffers horribly, everything's brown and green, and the controls still haven't settled into the comfortable modern world, by which I largely mean "there is still a strafe key, and not only that, the way you strafe is by holding the strafe key and then moving the mouse left and right". I think playing Descent with the keyboard might actually be less awkward.

ON DECK: Hm, well, if I do the alphabet thing with games I actually own, Hitman: Blood Money, Just Cause 2, Valiant Hearts, and Ys VI are the only "real" entries for their letters. (That is, either I have no unplayed alternatives, or all such alternatives are things I got in bundles as a side effect of things I actually wanted.) I don't have anything left for X, and poking at Quake was really my only option for Q. If I allow bundle ballast, then I also get Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, which might be amusing. Then I've got an embarrassment of riches on B and M: Banner Saga, Bard's Tale, Broken Sword, Brütal Legend, Majora's Mask, Marvelous Miss Take, MDK2, Magicka 2, MASSIVE CHALICE, and soon enough, Mighty No. 9. I figure M#9 is going to get the nod.

Also, it seems like doing the alphabet thing was not the greatest move for me, because I don't have very evenly distributed game titles. But hey, I've almost completed one as far as it will go, so why not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Project Black Sun - Extremely tough Metroidvania where you have to reload your gun and you can't shoot while jumping and you only start with 2 HP (I finished with 8). Final time 3+ hours. Not available for purchase anymore, WOOPS (was on Desura).

BEATEN: SWR JST DX Selective Memory Erase Effect - Worst title? Maybe. Decent 90s-coinop-style platformer complete with scanlines and CGI bosses converted into crunchy crunchy pixels.

BEATEN: Chaser - 2003 sci-fi FPS from the makers of Painkiller games. Good? Bad? I dunno. But I beat it.

ADDED: Inexistence, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, and a console shooter care package I got for myself in minnesota that consists of Battlefield 3, Halo 4, Haze, Killzone 3, Bad Company 2, and Resistance 2. So many sequels!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Beat: Dark Souls 3: This game has two leading themes to its design. Unfortunately, those two themes are 'gently caress sorcerors' and 'gently caress Dark Souls 2', which happen to be my favorite class and Souls game respectively.

I won't go into detail on how it clearly hates Dark Souls 2, because I know I'm in the minority on liking that one the most and the reasons are very nerdy, but it's almost hilarious how plain-faced the game's sorceror hatred is. Their spell vendor is the only one you can permanently lose, their key items are way more hidden than equivalents for other character types (in fairness, that is a theme that started long before DS3), and the game as a whole is just absurdly resistant to magic damage to the point where you really have to go all-in to get an appreciable return.

My favorite point of comparison, though: there are only two bosses weak to magic damage, with maybe six of them resistant to it; these numbers are roughly flipped for fire and lightning damage. And those two bosses? Not only optional, not only hidden, but require you to fight the boss most resistant to magic to get access to. A boss also required to be fought for the alternate ending.

On the upside... the game's got a big Final Fantasy V reference in it, and since the Four Job Fiesta's going on I can wash the taste of horribly unfair game design out with that?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It's been ages since I was last on here so I might as well get my poo poo together update my progress.

BEATEN / COMPLETE GAMES:
  • Master Reboot - I was gifted this by a fellow Goon and only got to play it recently. The game is a mixed bag, wanting to tell it's story through level design and finding collectables, but it just didn't do it for me. The end boss was annoying as heck though.
  • Tales of Zestiria - 38+ hours were poured into this game, where you could technically put the combat on autopilot for most fights and relax. A JRPG with some interesting character interactions, but the story and combat kind of lose focus over time. It offered a New Game +, but I wasn't willing to go through that a second time.
  • Dreamfall: Chapters - The firth Book / Episode finally came out. The plot is kinda tied up by the end and the game spends 30+ minutes on an epilogue where they plead FunCom for a sequel celebrate their rich story.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
  • Assassin's Creed 3 - UPlay finally allowed me to install the game after so many failed downloads. It is just as bland as everyone says, but I'll try to hold out for another few hours before I jump into Black Flag.
  • Mad Max - A thing of beauty, I can hop into the game for 30-40 minutes and just drive around the world and feel like I'm accomplishing something.
  • Pariah - Found a copy of the game for €0.05 at a local Entertainment Exchange, I'm still struggling to get it to work on a modern computer though.
  • Grey Goo - Slowly making my way through the campaign, the enemy AI can really punish you if you're not careful.
  • Random stuff from my "Indie" Pile - Jumping between games like Nom Nom Galaxy, RONIN and How to Survive, trying to see if there is anything I like about them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I won't go into detail on how it clearly hates Dark Souls 2, because I know I'm in the minority on liking that one the most and the reasons are very nerdy, but it's almost hilarious how plain-faced the game's sorceror hatred is. Their spell vendor is the only one you can permanently lose, their key items are way more hidden than equivalents for other character types (in fairness, that is a theme that started long before DS3), and the game as a whole is just absurdly resistant to magic damage to the point where you really have to go all-in to get an appreciable return.

Isn't this every Souls game, though? DaS1 and 2 both seemed to really hate casters, to the point that if you wanted to play a pure caster in 2 you were better off playing the first half of the game or so as something else and then respeccing to go all-in on magic. In 1 you just had to accept that the first half of the game was going to suck.

Demon's Souls seemed to be slightly more caster-friendly, but I never made it very far in it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ToxicFrog posted:

Isn't this every Souls game, though? DaS1 and 2 both seemed to really hate casters, to the point that if you wanted to play a pure caster in 2 you were better off playing the first half of the game or so as something else and then respeccing to go all-in on magic. In 1 you just had to accept that the first half of the game was going to suck.

Demon's Souls seemed to be slightly more caster-friendly, but I never made it very far in it.

I never had appreciable problems related to me playing a sorceror in 1 and 2. Some areas were harder, and overall I probably had a rougher time, but I never struggled.

3 is plain-faced about it. And I think the biggest element of that is the fact they jacked up what 'resistant' meant. In 1 the Duke's Archive was filled with magic-resistant enemies, but you'd only notice if you were keeping track of numbers since it didn't mitigate too much of your damage, and that area was also hard for sorcerors in other, smarter ways.

In DS3 if there's something strong to your main damage type, you'd better either switch weapons (which may entail getting one to a non-garbage level in the first place) or pack it in, because you'll lose like 70% of your damage output. And for casters that sucks, because it's not like they have much going for them besides damage output.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Inexistence - Somewhat substandard Vania with SOTN influence. nowhere near as awkward to play as Project Black Sun though

BEATEN: You Don't Know Jack 2015/Jackbox Party Pack - technically finishing a game of YDKJ means that I 'beat' it although I do want to complete all the episodes like I did the 2012 version. Ive also played every other game in the collection so I can safely jot it down in steamcompletionist

And now the wait for the sale begins...

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Man, it's been awhile since I've binged on a sale! :sadpeanut:

NEW GAMES: The Witness; SUPERHOT; The Vanishing of Ethan Carter; Wings of Vi; The Talos Principle. Most of this is because The Witness and SUPERHOT were on my wishlist individually and were part of the same bundle. Wings of Vi is mostly because...

ARRIVED: Mighty No. 9. With less a Mighty No. than a flat "No." I'm not going to call this a failure, but it's a game at a $20 price point with zero ambitions to be more than some random $20 game. Obviously picking up a random-rear end challenge platformer by a developer someone I knew once casually mentioned was good will be at least as solid a decision.

My attention span has been atomized, too.

IN PROGRESS: The Witness. I see what Blow was going for here, I think, and I also am pretty sure I'm his target audience, but I remember him saying that Stephen's Sausage Roll is the better game and without knowing too much about it I have a pretty good guess as to why.

IN PROGRESS: Banner Saga. Did a couple battles. Neat, but needs more brains than I have in the evenings these days.

REVISITING: Hadean Lands. A text adventure that I reviewed long ago in this very thread. It got a Steam release and I got a copy of it as a backer. It has cards! Well, I'll fiddle around with it again for a bit instead of just idling for cards and sweet mother of Christ where did those eight hours go and there's still so much to do. This is a really good adventure game you guys. The Steam release adds an interactive map and database and is generally much nicer than the old itch.io PC release.

IN PROGRESS: Mighty No. 9. You bought it, you break it, right? I actually like the basic combat and platforming mechanics well enough, but as far as Mega Man clones go, Shovel Knight is both better in absolute terms and as value for money. At least it's better than A.R.E.S.

IN PROGRESS: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. ... this is actually really inconvenient and finicky to play, and I probably shouldn't be playing it directly along side Mighty No. 9 like this. It's not the same kind of game.

IN PROGRESS: Valiant Hearts. So far it's kind of simplistic but also kind of cute and silly. I'm sure I'm being set up for an massive thunderstorm of Other Shoes Dropping.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ADDED: 35MM, ABC Murders, Ara Fell, Bionic Commando 2009, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Darkness Within, Fran Bow, The Guest, Highrise Heroes, Magnetic: Case Closed, Meltdown, Mirrored Ep 1, Morningstar Descent to Deadrock, Neon Struct, Pony Island, RHEM IV, The Slaughter Act One, Super Cyborg, Trails in the Sky SC, Tron 2.0, Unreal 2

Starting off with the pointy clicks..

BEATEN: Fran Bow - Wonderful surreal and morbid fairy tale with a fun "augmented reality" gameplay mechanic, decent puzzles, great aesthetic, and far out storytelling.

BEATEN: The Guest - First person P&C, only about two hours long. Most of the puzzles made sense except for one. Like Gone Home you can pick up a lot of things, although only a few are actually used to solve puzzles in this game.

BEATEN: Mirrored Ep. 1 - Similar to The Guest but confined to a single room and only an hour long. To be fair it was 99 cents so I wasn't expecting much.

BEATEN: Morningstar Descent to Deadrock - Myst-style P&C, your ship crash lands and you have to figure out a way to repair your ship and get back to space. About 2-3 hrs in length.

BEATEN: The Slaughter Act One - The first episode of what I think is a three-part story, but I'm not optimistic about future acts actually coming out. You're a detective who gets caught up in a serial murder case, and also has very lucid dreams. About 2-3 hrs in length as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I rarely beat games as I get distracted by new games so easily, but I finished three recently and that deserves a post.

BEATEN: Refunct - Short, sweet, took me maybe twenty minutes to 100% it. Once I bumped the sensitivity up on the controls it was a puzzler-platformer that never got too hard and wasn't boring. I finished it smiling, which is more than I can say for a lot of games.

BEATEN: Gunpoint - I was asked if I'd finished this yet and I hadn't, so I put in the hour and blasted through the rest of this two-hour game. It's good! I played through The Art of Theft a long time ago and loved the 2D stealth mechanics, and Gunpoint feels like that concept taken and polished to a mirror sheen, with a whole second game bolted on top of it - the crosslink adds a puzzler element with the rewiring of the entire level, and it helps break down the level into discrete goals: find the box that lets you rewire more of the level, and on and on until you get to the main objective. Now, the writing was solid if flawed - I didn't care about Rooke or the main plot, but trying to help the framed girl and the cop was a lot of fun, and overall the conversations and the sarcastic responses you could pick were sharp and hilarious. Anyhow: I beat the main plot, but don't feel compelled to come back and get all of the cheevos, so it's marked off as beaten, and a good game.

BEATEN: 868-HACK - Bizarre roguelike with an almost Gameboy-esque aesthetic, or earlier. You complete runs through eight floors, and then you win the game, and it invites you to keep going, looping runs as you rack up higher and higher scores. It's easy to learn but hard to master, and I've only completed two runs so far, but since they're so short I like to give it a go here and there as a palate-cleanser between games. Absolutely a game I'll keep installed, see if I can't beat it again or loop runs for once.

Up next is probably Steamworld Heist, if I can keep myself focused enough to clear the last sector and find out how horribly tough the final boss is.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ManxomeBromide posted:

IN PROGRESS: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. ... this is actually really inconvenient and finicky to play, and I probably shouldn't be playing it directly along side Mighty No. 9 like this. It's not the same kind of game.

Plague of Shadows takes some getting used to. He moves and attacks so differently than Shovel Knight but I'd encourage you to keep at it. At one point the new double-jumping feature becomes second nature. Up to you though but I really liked it.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I'm at the point now where my computer is outdated enough it won't play a bunch of the more recent games I'm interested in, and there aren't really any games that will run on it that I want but don't already own, so I've done well this sale. Tempted to upgrade my PC but I may just wait until I play through more of my backlog so I don't just go back to adding to it.

Haven't come away from the sales completely unscathed though. Bought some of the old D&D goldbox games on GOG, and three games on Steam, all of which I've already tried out.

NEW: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Just about everybody has already played this, but I wasn't really interested until I actually watched some gameplay footage of it (NerdCubed, I think). I tried it out, and I dunno. It's fun, but I suck at it, and it seems like it's one of those games you have to play a bunch to get a handle on and master. But I don't know if I have the patience to do that, especially since the RNG seems to love to screw me over on the first floor nine playthroughs out of ten. Think I'll put it on the backburner, but leave it installed and come back to if/when the mood hits. It seems like a good "pick up and play for a few minutes" game.

NEW: L.A. Noire - Another game that's been out for a while but I hadn't had much interest in until watching NerdCubed play it. I'm a little ways into the first actual case, and am enjoying it so far. I think the interrogation bits are going to be my downfall, but we'll see. I've been itching for a mystery game so hopefully this satisfies that.

NEW: Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 - I've already put a bunch of hours into this, mostly while listening to podcasts. Between this, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and Viscera Cleanup Detail, I seem to have a thing for simulators where you do mundane tasks. I may have to break from this one, though, or I'm gonna burn myself out on it.

Other things since last time I posted:

BEATEN: Bully: Scholarship Edition - I think this is the only Rockstar game I've actually finished (haven't played RDR or the latest GTA though). Seems like every GTA has one bullshit mission that I get stuck on, this game didn't have any (though a couple of the classes could be tricky, but they aren't necessarily required to finish the game). I enjoyed Bully quite a bit, and a boarding school makes a great location for a free-roaming game.

PROGRESS/BACKBURNER: Saints Row IV - I put a bit of time into this one, but I took a break and didn't really have the urge to come back to it. A free-roaming game with super-powers should be something that interests me, but I'm having troubles getting into this one for some reason. The GOG version of Saints Row 2 seems to actually run well on my computer unlike the Steam version, so maybe I'll go back and play that one and the Third (I played that one a bit too, but it started to annoy me with the constant endless waves of enemies) and come back to this after that.

STARTED: Eye of the Beholder - One of the GOG games I bought, I tried it out and despite the outdated graphics and sounds, the gameplay seems to actually hold up pretty well. Other than not having a minimap, that is. Gonna give this an honest go at some point, when I'm in a map-drawing mood I guess.

Edit: Not sure how I forgot this, considering how many hours I put into it a couple of weeks ago, but I went back to Terraria yet again. I love the game, but last time, I pretty much rage-quit because I stalled out on the hardmode bosses on single-player. I tried going to the official wiki for advice, and it was completely unhelpful ("To beat the mechanical bosses, we recommend using such-and-such item." -go to item's page- "Such-and-such item is obtained after beating the mechanical bosses"). But I reinstalled to see what's been added recently and thought I'd have another go at the mechanical bosses, this time watching a couple of youtube videos first, and they were actually helpful. I managed to beat all three of those bosses on my second try for each (after the reinstall), as well as all of the other hardmode bosses, including the Moon Lord. All that I have left is the two wave events, but I put waaaaay too many hours into this recently (it is now my most-played game on Steam by quite a bit), so I'll come back to it next update.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 28, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Eh! Frank posted:

NEW: L.A. Noire - Another game that's been out for a while but I hadn't had much interest in until watching NerdCubed play it. I'm a little ways into the first actual case, and am enjoying it so far. I think the interrogation bits are going to be my downfall, but we'll see. I've been itching for a mystery game so hopefully this satisfies that.

This game came out in 2011 and I was sure that games from then on would just have hyper-realistic faces but it didn't loving happen! It's worth playing just to see that in action.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Beaten: Dead Island Riptide This is the sequel to Dead Island, you can import your character and just continue on from a higher level. Unlike its predecessor, it doesn't take hours to get started, you get an item storage and shops with good stuff right away. Played it co-op all the way through and had a blast. Navigating the water in the jungle is where co-op really helps out, but a better in-game GPS system with more than one waypoint would've helped too. It got too easy near the end, and I thought there should've been more enemies to kill and less travelling around. There were some glitches, mostly resulting in free inventory items (I had a few hundred molotovs) but twice I've had a situation where my co-op partner got stuck at a door that remained closed for him. Nothing really game-breaking.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will say that you should temper your expectations on L.A. Noire. The only real mystery part is divorced from the rest of the plot which is a 1950s Chinatown neo-noire police drama. You can't fail during your investigations so don't stress being a perfectionist and just enjoy the game for what it is.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

NEW: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Just about everybody has already played this, but I wasn't really interested until I actually watched some gameplay footage of it (NerdCubed, I think). I tried it out, and I dunno. It's fun, but I suck at it, and it seems like it's one of those games you have to play a bunch to get a handle on and master. But I don't know if I have the patience to do that, especially since the RNG seems to love to screw me over on the first floor nine playthroughs out of ten. Think I'll put it on the backburner, but leave it installed and come back to if/when the mood hits. It seems like a good "pick up and play for a few minutes" game.

This is a game that's a lot like Spelunky and other roguelikes in that it's best to play a couple of runs and then play something else. I don't think this game gains much from playing it over and over. Of course, if it really clicks with you there's nothing wrong with playing for hours on end, just that I find myself enjoying these games more when I only play a little every day.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Eh! Frank posted:

Edit: Not sure how I forgot this, considering how many hours I put into it a couple of weeks ago, but I went back to Terraria yet again. I love the game, but last time, I pretty much rage-quit because I stalled out on the hardmode bosses on single-player. I tried going to the official wiki for advice, and it was completely unhelpful ("To beat the mechanical bosses, we recommend using such-and-such item." -go to item's page- "Such-and-such item is obtained after beating the mechanical bosses").

That's exactly what happened to me except I never went back when 1.3 came out. I got super close to beating the Twins one time, it was really annoying. The other two were completely out of my league even when I tried strategies from the wiki. Eventually I got tired of farming stuff just to get the summons just to get obliterated. I should've probably learned how to set up farms to avoid the grind but by then I felt like moving on. I feel like beating the Wall of Flesh sorta kinda counts as beating the game, though. Maybe? Like beating a game on Easy and calling it done, or not playing through a NG+ mode for additional content, etc. I know I haven't seen more than half the game but for the purposes of this thread I count it as beaten and feel okay about it.

The only game I've beaten since my previous post is Vertical Drop Heroes HD, a surprisingly fun roguelite platformer with some persistent upgrades between runs (presumably like Rogue Legacy but I haven't played that). It doesn't have a lot of staying power, at least not for me, but I enjoyed the ten hours I spent on it.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

That's exactly what happened to me except I never went back when 1.3 came out. I got super close to beating the Twins one time, it was really annoying. The other two were completely out of my league even when I tried strategies from the wiki. Eventually I got tired of farming stuff just to get the summons just to get obliterated. I should've probably learned how to set up farms to avoid the grind but by then I felt like moving on. I feel like beating the Wall of Flesh sorta kinda counts as beating the game, though. Maybe? Like beating a game on Easy and calling it done, or not playing through a NG+ mode for additional content, etc. I know I haven't seen more than half the game but for the purposes of this thread I count it as beaten and feel okay about it.

I set the game to Beaten on my Backloggery back when I beat the Wall of Flesh, but I think that was before 1.3 and Moon Lord and all that. But I think the single player is challenging enough that it's fair to count Wall of Flesh for Beaten and Moon Lord for Complete. There is a bunch of content you miss out on by not beating the mechanical bosses, but yeah they can be a pain, so it's up to personal preference if you consider it done or not.

FanaticalMilk posted:

This is a game that's a lot like Spelunky and other roguelikes in that it's best to play a couple of runs and then play something else. I don't think this game gains much from playing it over and over. Of course, if it really clicks with you there's nothing wrong with playing for hours on end, just that I find myself enjoying these games more when I only play a little every day.
The thing is, so far I enjoy BoI soooooo much more than Spelunky. BoI has more enemy and weapon variety, and I haven't come across any one-hit kills like in Spelunky (those stupid spikes). I've tried to like Spelunky, but I really can't stand it. It just feels like the game thinks "hard equals fun!". BoI is difficult too, but at least there's interesting things to find in most runs.

I also enjoyed Vertical Drop Heroes, it felt like a better version of Spelunky. The gameplay is similar-- make your way from the top to the bottom of a level while killing/dodging enemies and traps-- but you actually get coins that carry through to the next playthrough so you can buy items and upgrades and make future playthroughs a little easier and, more importantly, different. Though I did end up uninstalling it when it froze & crashed during the final boss fight.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I decided the summer sale would be a good time to clear out some of my backlog before buying anything:

BEATEN: Mad Max - Arkham combat with cool car combat in the Mad Max world. Enjoyed it a lot.

BEATEN: Victor Vran - I liked the unique combat system this game has that does something different from the usual ARPG. Plus you're Geralt of Riva.

BEATEN: Telltale's Game of Thrones - Standard Telltale visual novel. I enjoyed it, but it's not as good as the others with it's cliffhanger ending and how tightly it's plot is woven in with the show.

BEATEN: Painkiller: Hell & Damnation - It's an ok old school shooter. I had fun gunning down waves and waves of demons.

BEATEN: Star Wars: Starfighter - This game is garbage. I only have it from buying the Star Wars Humble Bundle. The first person camera is awful. The missions are laughable except for the last one. Which I had to turn God Mode on for. At least it was short.

Playing: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Base campaign only. Interesting mix of RTS and RPG. Playing on easy so I'm just slugging it out instead of doing a lot of tactical stuff.

This leaves 25 games in my backlog.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 4, 2016

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

BEATEN: Frozen Bubble - It's a solid Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble clone that comes with an arcade mode and 100 puzzle levels. Longtime Linux users might remember it as being one of the better native games for that system about twelve years ago. It's free (and ad-free) on Android now and can be beaten in one sitting or played for a couple minutes here and there. I'd almost forgotten how addictive it was.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 5, 2016

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Starting out with actually tracking instead of farting about trying to complete games. Because I like progress, here's some stuff I did in the past 2 weeks or so:

BEATEN: Party Hard - A poor Hotline Miami-esque game, where the whole level takes much longer and is therefore much more frustrating if you need to redo it. Your character moves painfully slow. About halfway through the game I started playing at double speed(using Cheat Engine) and made it much better.
REVISITED: Flame Over - A 'pyroguelike' that's a great time. I almost beat it for the first time on the first playthrough in ages. Without the water upgrade from the store though, becomes an exercise in slowly making it back for more water. Definitely one of my favorite roguelikes.
BEATEN: Please, Don't Touch Anything - Used a guide, and even with that it all seemed fairly obtuse, but neat puzzles nonetheless.
BEATEN: Bulletstorm - Fun FPS with a pretty unique mechanic and it doesn't really overstay it's welcome.
Playing: Highrise Heroes - Word puzzle game, sort of match-3 but with letters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Bleed - Hard to believe XBLIG actually produced some great games. Bleed may not have the nicest visuals, but it's a fantastic run-n-gun game in the Treasure mold with lots of bosses and silly set pieces.

BEATEN: Super Cyborg - Contra for Steam. As faithful a ripoff as you can get, it feels like a legitimate Contra sequel.

BEATEN: Rusty Lake Hotel - Room escape game made in Flash by a company that makes a lot of them, this is their first commercial one. Fancy-dressed animals get together at a hotel for a week of fine dining. Your job is to kill one of them every night and serve them for dinner the following day. so yeah, it's.. morbid. But also silly.

BEATEN: Please Don't Touch Anything - A more puzzly McPixel with lots of endings to find, buttons to press, esoteric solutions to be baffled by. one requires changing the clock, gently caress that

BEATEN: Vulkaiser This one is really fun, if you got it in a bundle it'll only take you 20 minutes to beat. It's a horizontal shmup that's an ode to 70s robot anime.

ADDED: Dex, Metro Last Light Redux, Doom 3, Judge Dredd 2005, Section 8 Prejudice, Deadly Sin 1 & 2, Darkness Within 2, 1979 Revolution, The Music Machine, Verde Station, Reveal the Deep, Super Chibi Knight, Aztaka, Dr. Green, The Descendent (Ep 1), Stargazer, Whispering Willows

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 5, 2016

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Why Steam Completionist seems to show my games in a random order instead of alphabetically?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It shows games you played recently followed by alphabetical games

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Steam sales are nice things.

Thoughts on games this sale.

Invisible Inc - charming game I bought on the strength of Austin Walker formerly of giant bombs recommendation. I squeezed in 10 minutes before work and I can tell I'll like it. It's kind of a turn based spy em up, plays similarly to x com.

Tales from the Borderlands - came with high goon recommendations. Not a fan of telltale or Borderlands but it's something I can play for an hour or 2 stress free after work.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Ramagamma posted:

Steam sales are nice things.

I'm never digging myself out of this backlog. I accrue more games than I could ever reasonably play. It's like a hellish golden spiral of gaming and debt.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Subnautica has sucked me in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Beaten: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Like I said before a fun tactical RTS.

Beaten: Left 4 Dead 2 - I played this solo and found the levels repetitive and the combat a bit dull.

Broken: Max Payne - Max won't jump for the final gap in the prologue of Chapter 3. Despite a couple dozen attempts I can't fix or get around the problem. I'm abandoning the game. The combat was decent. I found the grim noir style of the game over the top.

Purchased: Dishonored - Picked this up at the Steam Summer Sale.

Playing: Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

OhFunny posted:

Beaten: Left 4 Dead 2 - I played this solo and found the levels repetitive and the combat a bit dull.
To blindly defend one of my favorites, I think the game hits its stride in multiplayer with friends. The challenge and variety comes from the shittiness/effectiveness of your teammates and the roll of the die.

Some of my favorite parts of that game were hitting certain milestones in survival with three other friends teamspeaking in Ventrilo.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

MrSlam posted:

To blindly defend one of my favorites, I think the game hits its stride in multiplayer with friends. The challenge and variety comes from the shittiness/effectiveness of your teammates and the roll of the die.

Some of my favorite parts of that game were hitting certain milestones in survival with three other friends teamspeaking in Ventrilo.

My favorite part about L4D2 is having the mod installed that turns everyone (including yourself) into a velociraptor. :allears:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really want to like the left for dead games but they have some of the weakest feeling guns I've ever used in a videogame.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ramagamma posted:

I really want to like the left for dead games but they have some of the weakest feeling guns I've ever used in a videogame.

I can see this, but also, almost everyone you're shooting at (the common undead) fold like paper.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Battlestation Harbinger (laptop game)

Not a lot of depth, but it's fun while it lasts and definitely worth the $3 I spent on it.

Nulled: FEAR 3

I find that I am increasingly disinterested in corridor shooters; I want some degree of exploration, not just a linear sequence of scripted encounters. An FPS has to bring something else to the table -- a deeply engrossing storyline, interesting and original weapons and enemies, something -- to make up for that, and FEAR 3 doesn't.

Next

Still playing Infinifactory at a rate of a level every few days, but I don't have enough brain to play it exclusively. Not sure what to play alongside it; maybe finally check out Rebel Galaxy or Reassembly, or have a go at finishing Atelier Rorona. Reassembly might even run on the laptop!

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 10, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Ramagamma posted:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can see this, but also, almost everyone you're shooting at (the common undead) fold like paper.

As much as I love the games, having slow moving two-hit-kill zombie hordes that can only die from precise headshots would be refreshing. Also it'd be really tense to have one of your guns jam from firing it too often.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

MrSlam posted:

I certainly see why there'd be a more enjoyable experience in playing a multiplayer shooter with multiple people.

Broken: Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne - I will say Max Payne 2 is an improvement over first game in all respects. The smoother control and gameplay being the biggest standouts to me. Unfortunately like the first game I ran into a bug that halted my progress. The NPC you need to escort through Part 3: Chapter 4 is hitting an invisible line it can't cross despite trying too. I'm moving on to Max Payne 3.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

I made what was potentially a mistake by upgrading my PC from Windows 7 to 10, and now LA Noire keeps crashing after 5-15 minutes of gameplay. It's a shame, I'm still enjoying it, but it's becoming a pain in the rear end. Especially since the game has an autosave-only system, so I can't save often whenever I want and end up having to replay chunks because the game doesn't bother to save after finishing an interrogation or crime-scene search. I know the game is something like 5 years old now, but I have no idea how games not allowing the player to quick-save is something that survived past 2010. Even when a game doesn't crash all the time, it's an incredibly annoying game design. I'll give LA Noire a little while longer, see if I can find a fix, but it's starting to be not worth the frustration.

Also upon changing to Windows 10, Binding of Isaac has a slight pause when going into a new room (and sometimes when going into previously visited rooms) when it used to be a seamless transition. I dunno, Windows 10 seems to be faster in some areas, slower in others, but I'm tempted to roll back to 7 (luckily there's a one month trial period where you can still switch back if you don't like the "upgrade").

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Some sunday morning games thought since it's been 2 weeks since the Steam sale ended.

Bought and Refunded

So I picked up a bunch of games in the Steam sale, the usual buyers remorse hits and thankfully the Steam refund system makes every purchase the video-game equivalent of dipping your toe in the water. I played an hour of Enter the Gungeon and while it's a neat game I don't think it's worth £9 and it'll probably be cheaper in a future sale so I just don't need it right now. I also refunded Valkyria Chronicles, a game I'd bought on the recommendation of a friend. It's by no means a bad game and the anime style combined with the world war asthetic is kind of neat, I just don't see myself putting time into it. Also refunding Age of Empires 2 HD because I felt I got everything I needed after a 30 minute sesh.

Bought and Keeping

I was kind of ambivalent about Tales from the Borderlands for the first hour, I think the high praise that is universally lavished on it unfairly boosted my expectations, still after playing the first 3 chapters I think I'm in, the style of humour is right up my street and the "challenge" for lack of a better word is the perfect antidote after a hard day at work. The more I play this, the more I like it. I'm also keeping Civ 5, but then I've owned the basic game since it came out and only just bought all the DLC in this sale. I'll get round to it one day, y'know before Civ 6. I'm also keeping Invisible Inc because I'm a slut for rogue likes and Undertale because the 90 minutes I've played have charmed the hell out of me.

Finally getting round too

Metal Gear 5 the Phantom Pain

Bought this on release day, put a dozen hours into it and just felt so burned by how little it felt like a Metal Gear Solid game. Still, the universal praise it has garnered made me want to give it another shot and I'm glad I did, its a game that really should be approached as a sandbox combat simulator rather than a standard batshit Metal Gear game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Dr. Green - Substandard arcade platformer. Not worth your money.

BEATEN: Highrise Heroes - Bookworm-esque game with a silly 'survival game'-esque story but said story is not remotely enthralling

BEATEN: Super Chibi Knight - Very cute Zelda 2 style game, has performance issues due to being made in Flash (?), i like that every level up changes your appearance

BEATEN: Neo Aquarium - Third-person aquatic arcade shooter, uhhh it's loving weird

BEATEN: Pix the Cat - Combination of Pacman and Snake, this is of the endless variety so I just played it until I was satisfied then marked it as done

BEATEN: Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender - Excellent modernization of Defender, enemies get a little bullet spongey near the end but you also get powerups to deal with it

ADDED: Defunct, 1954 Alcatraz, Parallax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

BROKEN: L.A. Noire - Well, after the multiple random crashes, I had the great idea to try uninstalling & reinstalling the game, and now it won't launch at all. Browsing the Steam forums for the game, it appears a recent patch made the game completely unplayable on Windows 10 and possibly other versions, so... awesome. No idea if/when they'll ever fix it, from what I've seen Rockstar doesn't really give a crap for the PC versions of their games. I was really enjoying L.A. Noire too. Hopefully they'll actually make an effort to fix it, but I'm not holding my breath... well, I'll keep it installed on my computer for a few more days, but after that, I give up.

I also installed Team Fortress 2 a week or so ago because I just felt like a quick shoot-em-up, I'd tried it out a couple years ago but didn't really get into it. But this time I had fun, no problems or anything. Then a couple days later, they released an update. Now it takes 10+ minutes for the game's matchmaking to find a game to connect to. So thumbs up to developers loving up their games this week!