Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Industrial posted:

What if you have "All Games" selected? Some people don't like having bad games take up room in our lists. Granted, I have that category for the same reason I have all games split up by genre and never select "Installed" these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Industrial posted:

I genuinely did not know this, good to know.

But I probably like to keep "all games" selected so when im looking through I might go "hrm yeah might like to reinstall that" and it still keeps the complete eyesores out of the way.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
After some effort, I can now "proudly" say that I have at least installed and played each and every game on my Steam list at least once. Much like other posters in this thread I have sorted them into worth playing and not worth playing (Juiced 2 being a beautiful example of the latter, holy poo poo was that bad), so I can start working my way through the former one at a time.

My current game is still UFO: Terror from the Deep, and playing it on a modern PC is hell. I convinced DOSBOX to run the game windowed so I can work or play other games during the enemy turns, which helped improve my motivation a bit.

I envy those of you with games like Dead Space and The Witcher unplayed, you will be enjoying this whole thing you bastards.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
A quick hint for those who want to create an out-of-view category for bad/already played/uninstalled games - start the category name with the | (broken bar) symbol. It will automatically be placed as the bottom-most category. I have a category set up as ||Recycle Bin|| for all the stuff I don't want on my regular games list, like the Civ IV Mac titles or Rag Doll Kung Fu.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SixOhSix posted:

This game is an absolute hurdle to any backlog. I've been playing that beast on and off for over a year. Simply put, play it on occasion, but if you've got something new you really want to crack into, give that a higher priority. Otherwise you will never beat ANYTHING.

I know Disgaea 3 will take a long time that's why I'm flying Wipeout HD and GT5 at the same time. I just play whatever suits the mood, and I stop playing if I don't find it fun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just putting it here.

Going to actively start playing Mafia 2 and Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Couple hours into RTCW now. Aside from all the crashing and the bullshit stealth level where if you are viewed by people from a mile away the level is instantly over I'm enjoying myself. I hated that trend during that era where every game had to have a stealth level like that. It's also a bit difficult getting used to having to actually save for myself instead of relying on checkpoints and autosaves every five seconds. Kind of interesting to think about how those features have become so ubiquitous during the last 10 years or so of gaming.

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!
Hello I'm genuineparts and I have a problem.

I currently have 175 Games and finished only a handful.

I'm currently actively finishing Just Cause 2, before Portal 2 will hit steam and gently caress me over once again.

I was on the right way and haven't purchased anything after the Christmas sale but then i saw Magica and there it was again. This urge to give Gabe my hard earned. Then I sat in shame for hours and played.

I've come here to find strength and support and hope I can cope with my crippling addiction. So that one day I can pass a Sale not feeling that I absolutely have to buy...

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Found 174 Games with a value of $2407.27 USD.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/veri

Holy gently caress.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

TR0LL posted:

Hello everyone Names TR0LL. I think I have a problem.

I currently have 435 games on steam, and I have compleated maybe 10.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TR0LL

I think I may need some help.

The calculator says you spent 6k on your steam account.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

hieronymus posted:

The calculator says you spent 6k on your steam account.

This has been addressed but steam calculator only accounts for the current MSRP, most of us got stuff on impulse buys on sales, we probably spent half at best of whatever it says.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/stealtharcher

I have beaten/completed:

-All Valve games
-All STALKER
-All MP only games
-AssCreed
-Arkham Asylum
-BioShock
-Cod4
-CoH+xpaks
-Deus Ex
-Oblivion
-Empire:TW
-EU3(As much as you can 'complete' Pdox games)
-FO3
-Ghostbusters
-Jade Empire
-Magicka(Did 2 story runthroughs on SP, got all spells, I figure that's completed)
-Mass Effect 1 and 2
-Multiwinia
-Osmos
-Poker Night :v:
-Red Faction
-Red Faction:G
-Rome:TW
-Civ 4+xpaks
-Stalin vs Martians (Yes, I played the whole thing)
-KotoR
-Titan Q
-Tropico 3
-Uplink
-Dawn of War
-World of Goo

Looking back, I guess I'm not doing too badly.
What are some reccomendations before I roll the old RNG.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

This has been addressed but steam calculator only accounts for the current MSRP, most of us got stuff on impulse buys on sales, we probably spent half at best of whatever it says.

Especially considering some of the major deals like 75% off and the indie packs, I think (more like pray) that nobody is really spending thousands on steam.

I found the easiest way to avoid having a hundred game backlog is to be on a Mac so there aren't even a hundred games worth buying :smugdog:

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

StealthArcher posted:

What are some reccomendations before I roll the old RNG.

Dead Space and The Witcher stand out to me as the best unbeaten games on your list. Just Cause 2 is also really fun but gets very tedious.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Industrial posted:

Dead Space and The Witcher stand out to me as the best unbeaten games on your list. Just Cause 2 is also really fun but gets very tedious.

Considering I really enjoyed the Witcher when I tried it, I guess that'll be my next. Off we go.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

A couple suggestions if you've faced the fact that you'll never play all of your games, but you're not ready to go cold turkey on buying from Steam:

1) Just keep up with http://dddeals.blogspot.com/ or some other direct download feed instead of reading through the Steam thread. You spend less time, and you can see that whatever today's deal is isn't all that special or unique. On the downside, you might be tempted to buy from the non-Steam services as well.
2) If you can't pass up the price because it's too good, purchase it as a gift for yourself. Then you can re-gift it later when you realize that you're not going to play this one either.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Hi my name is saberwulf and i have a problem with digitally buying games.

I have 30 steam games,10 GOG games, and 3 Gamersgate games. I have never finished a single one. i have spent (excluding sales and HIB games) over 150 dollars on steam games alone.

But there is a problem with doing the roll, most of the games on my various lists either do not work on my computer or are unbeatable. I'm going to see if i can power through some of the playable ones though.

Fake edit:I have come up with a list of 14 13 games (i have already seen my sister do a full play of Aquaria) that i will be able to play, so let's see what this baby lands on.

Edit:Looks like I'm playing World of Goo, hope it's good.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 8, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

World of Goo is great; I think the last chapter isn't all that but it's short so keep trucking!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've started playing Psychonaughts! I'm one hour in and I've had 7 graphical glitches already!

There was one where they turned these things that I had to swing on invisible and they made the main dude silver. It was amusing but hard.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Psychonauts is an amazing game (except for the last level :argh: ). Why haven't you played it yet?

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

113 Games on Steam...

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/phancypants

I thought I'd have 15 or so until I clicked to show All Games. Time to get working on this alphabetically.

First unplayed game: Braid!

Edit: Wow, there's a LOT of stuff I didn't even know I own because of the steam-packs. For example: When the hell did I buy Broken Sword 2 and 3?

Edit 2: Ooo! 10% off Witcher 2 preorders!

PhancyPants fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Finally beat Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Fun game and all, but goddamn it's frustrating at times. I died so many times because I had an enemy spawn behind me as I was moving forward.

I might do a little co-op next, but my primary focus will be on Mass Effect 2 and Oddworld Abes Exodus (which I pulled from the random number generator).

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
STEAM WHY MUST YOU CONTINUE TO SELL GAMES I NEVER PLAYED AT 90% OFF! Love this thread, and I guess I am one of you, but I am not yet ready to face my addiction and actually play the games. I will keep my eye on this thread though for when the time comes.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I need to stop buying games out of nostalgia, or simply games I've beaten but purchased to own a non-CD copy.

I have Rome Total War, Medieval Total War, Fallout 1 and 2, Sim City 4 and I probably put 1000 hours into them total back in my CD Drive days... now they have a combined 3 hours on Steam.

Just buy new games, dont buy stuff you've played. That's my new motto

EDIT: New games on sale, of course

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I went from 24% complete through JC2 to 27%!! :thumbsup:

I probably shouldn't have picked Epic Extreme Dicking Around Simulator for my first game...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sporkles posted:

I went from 24% complete through JC2 to 27%!! :thumbsup:

I probably shouldn't have picked Epic Extreme Dicking Around Simulator for my first game...

Well on the plus side you cant actually 100% the game!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Steam calculator says "Found 224 Games with a value of $2500.27 USD" but my Steam profile says I have 278 games, and I don't think that's counting the games I didn't buy through steam, which would push me over 300 probably.

I've probably played less than 40 (maybe less than 30?!) of those games for more than an hour. What is wrong with me?

I mean the sunk cost fallacy doesn't actually apply as long as I go back and play all of these games soon/in four years/in six years/after I retire, right?

Gils posted:

Especially considering some of the major deals like 75% off and the indie packs, I think (more like pray) that nobody is really spending thousands on steam.
Yeah, I think a lot of my games are from deals, and nearly 100 are probably from the thanksgiving/Christmas megadeals. I mean it's conceivable I've spent over $500, but not $2000.

As much as I'd like to play through my games, it's probably best for me just to not run Steam anymore (except to play Portal 2 when it comes out).

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well on the plus side you cant actually 100% the game!

Do you mean it's impossible or it'll just take so long?

I wouldn't class 100% on a sandbox game as completing it. Main story line and then the optionals until you feel burnt out on them is when it's completed since there aren't any worthwhile rewards for completing the game 100%.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Mr Right posted:

Do you mean it's impossible or it'll just take so long?

I wouldn't class 100% on a sandbox game as completing it. Main story line and then the optionals until you feel burnt out on them is when it's completed since there aren't any worthwhile rewards for completing the game 100%.
You can't get 100% because a few items/objects don't register; You get stuck on something like 99.96% or so.

Also you can easily 100% sandbox games and still get rewards, it just depends on the system behind it. JC2 doesn't reward you any more but games like GTA:SA gave rewards for everything so you did it for more then numbers.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
There we go, completed the Worms:Reloaded campaign (or at least, the main 30 missions - the five extra ones are absolute bullshit).

Only 77 games to go!

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Zedd posted:

You can't get 100% because a few items/objects don't register; You get stuck on something like 99.96% or so.

Also you can easily 100% sandbox games and still get rewards, it just depends on the system behind it. JC2 doesn't reward you any more but games like GTA:SA gave rewards for everything so you did it for more then numbers.

That's pretty lame. I got to ~55% in JC2 after I realized that the signal indicator in the top left actually pointed me to crates. I might push to 75% for the achievement, but I'll likely call it quits after that.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Zedd posted:

Sorry, I know that most do give you rewards, but they end up worthless unless you fancy coming back to the save a few months later just to mess about. Getting 100% in a sandbox game is :effort: and eventually ends up sapping the fun away.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Mr Right posted:

Sorry, I know that most do give you rewards, but they end up worthless unless you fancy coming back to the save a few months later just to mess about. Getting 100% in a sandbox game is :effort: and eventually ends up sapping the fun away.
I must be different then you, I completed every main 3d GTA game 100% and generally did everything but packages a second time.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I done that for GTA3 and VC. But 100 hidden packages and 20 unique jumps isn't much of a grind (the side missions were fun so I wouldn't class them as grinding) but there wasn't much fun left to be had once I had 100% completed the games.

I do enjoy getting to 100% for as sense of achievement, but I can't even fathom trying to get 100% in JC2. It's just too big with too many things to collect. I wish I had Rico in Vice City. There's only so much fun that can be had in a little village that's been c+p'd 100+ times over a map.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
This thread has inspired me to log another, like, 6 minutes of BFBC2.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
This thread made me get Stalker:CoP working finally! Oh, the glorious joys of looting bodies and what not, all over again.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

fatpat268 posted:

That's pretty lame. I got to ~55% in JC2 after I realized that the signal indicator in the top left actually pointed me to crates. I might push to 75% for the achievement, but I'll likely call it quits after that.

I play until I have sapped the fun out of the game. I stopped playing long before either of you.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Got Dead Space 2 completed, but during that time frame I bought the first Dead Space and now have that added to my backlog. I think I'll play some Borderlands and finish that, and I've already poured 74 hours into it, and over 100 into GTA IV without finishing the story.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks to this thread, I went through my entire steam library and cataloged the games as Completed, Incomplete, Not Started, and Garbage.

I have finished a lot more games than I thought, but my largest folder is Incomplete.

The hardest thing about it is when I return to an incomplete game I start back from the beginning each time. I played through probably 85% of Ghostbusters, and now I feel like I need to start from the beginning, which I dont want to do. I have my saves, I just need to bite the bullet and finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I did get pressured into buying GT5 so I'm playing through that as well. Buying a game and playing it a lot is a change in my behaviour.