Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«139 »
gmq
May 6, 2009

Mega Man has never looked so good.

I'm going through my backlog and I'm about to start playing Civ IV (BTS). What would be a good 'beaten' (or 'completed') goal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

gmq posted:

I'm going through my backlog and I'm about to start playing Civ IV (BTS). What would be a good 'beaten' (or 'completed') goal?

Beaten: Win a game
Completed: Win on the hardest difficulty

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'd say Beat is beating the game on Prince (or whatever doesn't give you or the AI advantages)

Poison Mushroom
Sep 30, 2009

She's dead inside,
you know.

Zedd posted:

I'd say Beat is beating the game on Prince (or whatever doesn't give you or the AI advantages)
Agreed.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

Making decent progress through Rayman 2 - I'm ten levels or so in. Michel Ancel has only completely hosed up the game design once so far - a marked improvement over Rayman 1, the Rayman Origins demo, or BG&E. But I kind of wondered why nobody called out The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire as being made entirely of bullshit, after suddenly hitting a sequence I died at least 50 times on. (I can't be precise; I didn't start counting immediately and I stopped counting after 35 deaths.) My ultimate solution involved glitching out the physics engine.

So, I hit up YouTube and find that this map transition takes you somewhere else in the DC version - somewhere that lets you then skip about 80% of the map. The PC version puts you at the bottom of that slope, and then you have to catch the plum on the wing and work your way through a completely hellish vector-thrust instant-death sequence.

Rargh.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Not Steam-related, but I after a year of owning and never playing it, I went through and beat Final Fantasy XIII. It was fun and I definitely want to grab XIII-2 at some point, but probably not until I get and beat Xenoblade.

My JRPG itch still needs to be scratched, though, so I think next up is The Last Remnant. The last boss gets harder only if I beat all of the side quests, right? Should I just do all of them besides the last one?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Just beat Faerie Solitaire and, uh, how the gently caress do you make a 12 hour solitaire game and HAVE IT END ON A loving CLIFFHANGER??

I shouldn't give a poo poo. I've been playing it for months during downtime at work but hoooly gently caress how do you make a solitaire game that's that loving long and have the ending be you character being sucked into a book called FAERIE SOLITAIRE 2.

I feel like I just got trolled hard.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008

Really?
Really?

I just "beat" Torchlight, and by beat I mean got to the end and retired a character. If I didn't have such a backlog I'd probably play it again immediately.

I also had to put Ni no Kuni for the DS on hold, as it needs the instruction book to look up the spells required in the game, and I haven't found an online reference of it. Shame, it was pretty fun.

Doctor Cave
Nov 28, 2007

A man can only provide so much raw protein

I decided to do a Red Faction run to knock them all out of my backlog. Red Faction 1 i'd previously beaten back in the day, it still holds up well, quite janky in parts but overall a good time. Onto Red Faction 2...

What the gently caress? This is one of the worst games I've ever played. What the gently caress happened? Volition are generally a competent developer. Every single bad fps design decision you can think of is in this game. Respawning enemies, no quick saves / awful checkpoint system, the worst regenerating health i've encountered (it's so slowwww), bullet sponges etc. There's a sniper section and the snipers respawn. I ended up switching the difficulty ro easy after this stupid bulletsponge boss and her constantly spawning friends got too tiring. Best decision. The game becomes a lot more enjoyable when you're almost invincible. The game has a decent selection of weapons, I'll give it that.

I heard Guerilla's supposed to be fun. Onto that next.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Beat: Alpha Protocol - This game is ruined by being a lovely port. Terrible controls, lovely checkpoint system, so many technical issues and bugs that stripped choices, intel and completely removed all enemies from missions, forcing me to redo them countless times or reloading at the last safe house.

It's only saving grace was the story and even that ended up pissing me off when at the end I just rode off into the sunset on a loving boat with the handler I shacked up.. gently caress this game.

Because this thread needs more screen-shots this was my load-out for most of the game, obviously with everything being worse early and gradually progressing.

I was going to play Recettear but I'm going to "shelve" that for later, I'm not in the mood for it's "cutesy" visuals at the moment. I think I'm going to play Metro 2033 next.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

Xik posted:

Beat: Alpha Protocol - This game is ruined by being a lovely port.

The console version was an even bigger technical collapse. The PC version had a gigantic patch the console versions didn't get, AIUI.

Poison Mushroom
Sep 30, 2009

She's dead inside,
you know.

Xik posted:

Beat: Alpha Protocol - This game is ruined by being a lovely port.
I never had that many problems. The only problem I had was that, in my New Game+, I can no longer use the "see where dudes are looking" ability, because it was always-on when I beat it the first time.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

Colon V posted:

I never had that many problems. The only problem I had was that, in my New Game+, I can no longer use the "see where dudes are looking" ability, because it was always-on when I beat it the first time.

I had some serious issues with the hacking minigame until I used some of the tips from the local Alpha Protocol thread (which fixed some screwy mouse sensitivity problems). This also included the warning to never quickload on death since this was horribly broken.

Since my last post a couple hours ago I beat Rayman 2. Except for that one horrible bit in the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire, which appears to be unique to the PC version, better than Rayman 1 in basically every gameplay respect. The music and general graphic design were better in Rayman 1, but that's more PS1 2D vs N64 3D, I think.

March is already looking like it's going to be awful for my backlog. I'm barely treading water as it is and there's a pile of new games coming out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Oh god how do you strong people eat all this bamboo?

Just finished Wolfenstein (2009) on Hard. It was pretty good actually just as a straight shooter. However somehow I missed the very ending where Wilhelm Strasse appears from the rubble and screams like a wolf. I think I hit enter too soon.

It clocked in around 7 hours which I thought was pretty good as the first half almost over stays its welcome. I can only think of three or four really frustrating parts and otherwise it was a pretty easy game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Finally going through some PS3 games I missed in the past six months and beat Infamous 2. The story has some holes and the morality meter is ham-fisted as hell but goddamn is that a nice looking game with a cool city to toy around in. Overall I really enjoyed it and but I hope the next game in the series changes things up a good bit and ditches the whole SUPER GOOD vs SUPER EVIL WHICH WILL U CHOOSE nonsense in favor of a more natural action and consequence system.

Hemish
Jan 24, 2005

I just beat Skyrim after 57 hours. I stopped doing sidequests after roughly 30 hours to power through the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood stories. I then finished the main quest. One day I may try my hand with a pure mage. I was level 44 and the end fight was a joke. You may want to beat the game earlier and just continue playing after the main quest for your side stuff.

Not sure what I'm going to play next.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Yup.

Beat: Reccetear. Finished the main story, 3/5 dungeons and a bunch of fusions, will finish everything else when the fatigue from it wears out.

Playing: Chantelise. It's started going faster now that I realized that once you clear a room in Story Mode, you don't have to reclear it if you die.

Dawn of Discover/Anno 1404 Gold. Beat the first two campaign missions, pretty fun so far. How long is the campaign, it seems like a tutorial.

Acquired: Etrian Odyssey III. Should be a good time killer for short downtimes.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Just beat Faerie Solitaire and, uh, how the gently caress do you make a 12 hour solitaire game and HAVE IT END ON A loving CLIFFHANGER??

I shouldn't give a poo poo. I've been playing it for months during downtime at work but hoooly gently caress how do you make a solitaire game that's that loving long and have the ending be you character being sucked into a book called FAERIE SOLITAIRE 2.

I feel like I just got trolled hard.

I think I bought this when it was a dollar or something. Worth it even for the ending.

I just laughed like hell when that ending cutscene happened.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009

I am about halfway through Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood. I liked the first one and am enjoying this one as well. I'm playing through it on easy because I'm more interested in the story as opposed to banging my head against the wall at frustrating parts. The only complaint I have about this game is that it uses a checkpoint system, which can be really frustrating. I also beat Ben There, Dan That! so knock that off my backlog.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

party everyday

Last night I saw Psychonauts on sale for $5.

Everyone I know who has played it talks it up as the best game ever, Tim Schafer is a god, etc. Really not helping myself but what the hell. Only $5, right?

That reminds me, Schafer is giving a lecture at my old school this month, it's free and open to alumni. Probably filled up already but I think I'll RSVP.

Chief Savage Man
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice

Not on Steam but finished ME3. Not sure what to play next.

Poison Mushroom
Sep 30, 2009

She's dead inside,
you know.

ACPaco posted:

Last night I saw Psychonauts on sale for $5.

Everyone I know who has played it talks it up as the best game ever, Tim Schafer is a god, etc. Really not helping myself but what the hell. Only $5, right?

That reminds me, Schafer is giving a lecture at my old school this month, it's free and open to alumni. Probably filled up already but I think I'll RSVP.
Very worth $5. It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Chief Savage Man posted:

Not on Steam but finished ME3. Not sure what to play next.

Same here.. I got to be massively disappointed by the end of ME3 as well.

I actually have beaten a bunch of Non-steam / Xbox / PS3 stuff recently but my steam backlog is not decreasing at all recently.

I'm going to finally finish Portal 2 tonight since I think I got stuck right at the end before. Then I am not sure what to move on to.

Substandard fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2012 around 21:32

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Deals in Pac, not opinion.

Beat: King's Bounty: Armored Princess. Overall, more balanced than the first game and a much more enjoyable experience as a result. If the idea of an open-world-ish Heroes of Might & Magic game sounds the least bit intriguing to you, then you owe it to yourself to check this series out.

Nulled: Fractal: Make Blooms Not War. A Match 3-type music-puzzler trying to coast on the success of Lumines without being nearly as fun. Good thing I got this one in an indie pack for cheap.

Beat: Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut. I really just want to post my impressions of this psych-horror Half Life mod as, "Holy loving poo poo " followed perhaps by, "Bring at least one change of pants." But despite the game's absolutely nailing the pacing and atmosphere that a good horror game requires, there's a lot of (lack of) polish issues to deal with. The difficulty curve is a bit wonky at times, mostly due to inconsistently placed item pickups, and the first area of the game is a bit of a slog. Regardless, I highly recommend it; with a bit of polish, AOM:DC could have easily been a budget-priced commercial release, and the fact that it's free is loving amazing.

ReadMyMind
Aug 31, 2009

So I'm trying to use the steam2backloggery tool and it doesn't give me any errors but it only grabs the 20 games on my wishlist and not any of my actual games. Its not set to private it finds my account ok since its picking up the wishlist. Any idea what could be causing this?

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007

Woohoo! I just finished the Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty campaign. I'm gonna enjoy the skirmishes and multiplayer a bit before starting another new game, but it feels good to have finally completed the story.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ReadMyMind posted:

So I'm trying to use the steam2backloggery tool and it doesn't give me any errors but it only grabs the 20 games on my wishlist and not any of my actual games. Its not set to private it finds my account ok since its picking up the wishlist. Any idea what could be causing this?

Oh god, I hope Steam hasn't changed their games page format or something.

gently caress you, Steam, get a proper public API or something.

What's your Steam community link?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not sure how you currently pull the information but in case you didn't know; Steam does offer a public "API", although I use the term pretty loosely in this case. Just specify that you want the xml version by adding "?xml=1" to the end of the url.

Eg: My normal profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan

Xml version of my profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan?xml=1

So you can get a xml feed of my games by going here http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan/games?xml=1

I stumbled upon it when I was looking at getting an efficient way to pull the data for a "Steam Statistics" project I played with to learn php.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xik posted:

I'm not sure how you currently pull the information but in case you didn't know; Steam does offer a public "API", although I use the term pretty loosely in this case. Just specify that you want the xml version by adding "?xml=1" to the end of the url.

Motherfucker.

Welp, time to rewrite steam2backloggery to use an actual XML parser.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

I just tried searching for the wiki page I used as a reference about the various steam community ID's. I couldn't find it, but I did find something which might interest you. Steam Web API. Seems that have an actual "proper" API now.

Looks like you can get data in JSON format. I don't know if there are any decent JSON libs for Lua, but if there are that would quite likely make things even easier.

e: VVVVV Oh, you are right, it doesn't offer that type of information on gamelists. My mistake. You'll have to use the xml feeds, but still, that's pretty painless with a good XML parser.

Xik fucked around with this message at Mar 13, 2012 around 07:08

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xik posted:

I just tried searching for the wiki page I used as a reference about the various steam community ID's. I couldn't find it, but I did find something which might interest you. Steam Web API. Seems that have an actual "proper" API now.

Looks like you can get data in JSON format. I don't know if there are any decent JSON libs for Lua, but if there are that would quite likely make things even easier.

There are (JSON actually maps very naturally to Lua tables); however, the "proper" API is useless, in that it doesn't actually make available any of the information that I actually need (ie, game lists).

ReadMyMind
Aug 31, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wedoitlive

You can probably see why I want to use your tool. Manually entering would take a while.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ReadMyMind posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wedoitlive

You can probably see why I want to use your tool. Manually entering would take a while.

Yeah, they've changed the page format and the fragile HTML parsing poo poo I use is broken as a result. Time to rewrite this fucker to use XML.

May take a little while between thesis work and Kessler but I'll post it here when it's done.

ReadMyMind
Aug 31, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, they've changed the page format and the fragile HTML parsing poo poo I use is broken as a result. Time to rewrite this fucker to use XML.

May take a little while between thesis work and Kessler but I'll post it here when it's done.

You are awesome dude take your time though real life crap is way more important then helping lazy bums like myself. You really would think backloggery would make some import tools though. I wouldn't mind if they threw some ads up to make up for the extra work but they don't seem very interested in expanding the site or adding features.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Man I'm about to move Saints Row 2 to the Shameful pile. Besides the horrible graphics, janky controls, and constant crashes even with the fan patches it's just a goddamn awful game. Combat is just standing around blasting enemies that just stand around with no urgency or care because it's almost impossible to die and all of these side missions that you're forced to do are just tedious as fuuuuck.

Goddamn the regular missions are at least somewhat enjoyable but the game won't even let me play them unless I spend hours doing bitch work. Maybe Saints Row 3 gets better but this still feels like a pale imitation of stuff that got old in the GTA series five years ago.

ReadMyMind
Aug 31, 2009

I tried to go back to saint's row 2 after saint's row 3 (thanks like usual to a steam sale) and it was just awful in comparison. Saint's row 3 was freaking awesome though. I'm currently replaying 3 via coop. You don't have to do any side missions if you don't want to though I did a lot of them because they were designed very well compared to 2 to progress. And the story missions are just insane minus a few early tutorial missions that you basically steam through.

ReadMyMind fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2012 around 04:20

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

I recently finished A.R.E.S.. I think it was a nice game. I had to cheese the last boss with lots of repair kits though. I could have learned the patterns i guess but i lost patience.

I also finished Red Johnson's Chronicles on the PS3. The story isn't the best and the loving QTE's are awful. I don't think i have the worst reaction time but i barely had a chance to hit the buttons in time. But most of the puzzles and the multiple choice thingies are great.

I started playing Nimbus. Got it in some indie bundle way back. I think it was the first Indie Royale. It's horrendously addictive. I'm currently in the 5th world and the levels start to get really brutal. But it's always fair so far. Does anybody now how well the game did? I never heard anything about it before i found it in my games list. I feel like it deserved a lot more attention.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

party everyday

ReadMyMind posted:

I tried to go back to saint's row 2 after saint's row 3 (thanks like usual to a steam sale) and it was just awful in comparison. Saint's row 3 was freaking awesome though. I'm currently replaying 3 via coop. You don't have to do any side missions if you don't want to though I did a lot of them because they were designed very well compared to 2 to progress. And the story missions are just insane minus a few early tutorial missions that you basically steam through.

Yeah, the quality differences between Saints 2 and 3 are astounding. I got maybe two hours into SR2 before I gave up on it. The writing/acting was awful and I had absolutely no interest in the story from the court room sequence on. That stupid "we're more fun than GTA4 because we don't make you go bowling" marketing campaign fresh in my mind somehow made it even worse. But the biggest sin was that the PC port's controls are just so god awful I would say Streets of SimCity was better experience. SR3, on the other hand, had driving mechanics that were smooth as poo poo (not to mention better everything else, too). You can e-break a corner after kicking in nitro while spraying bullets out the side no sweat.

God I loved that game.

Edit: Oh yeah. I'm 16 hours into Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I'm only up to the second of four bosses. I kind of like the concept of a throwback to boss fights more than the actual fights themselves. They don't really fit into the rest of the game, which is still amazing so far. The truth about Picus reveal going into this latest boss fight induced a groan, really, how many more games are going to use this "it's really a super computer A.I. program!" trope?, but I have to say I didn't see it coming. In hindsight the whole story behind Picus and Eliza is actually a pretty neat little commentary on mass media.

ACPaco fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2012 around 00:37

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Just beat Breath of Death VII and ended up enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. I'm glad that it knew exactly what kind of game it was and didn't overstay its welcome at all. Well worth the fifty cents I paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glare Seethe
May 15, 2004

I finished Arkham Asylum the other day. Not that anyone needs another report on it, but even though I knew just how good it was supposed to be, it still took me by surprise. I avoided it for ages in every Steam sale just cause 3rd person brawlers aren't really my favorite genre plus I don't care about the IP at all. But yes, it was utterly fantastic, and it was obvious from the very beginning when you're escorting Joker into the asylum that it was going to be fantastic. I even bothered to get all 240 Riddler challenges. And on Normal it was the perfect difficulty for me.

Really, the only flaw I can find in it is having to rapidly press Space to open grates and pull down weak walls, which is unnecessary. Such a minor flaw, though. What's most amazing to me is that the game was so good and involving that it actually got me to look up Batman-related things on Wikipedia (though this interest was short-lived; I'm back to not caring now). Great voice acting, too. I don't know how Rocksteady pulled out such a masterpiece from an established, licensed IP.

Also played through Zeno Clash which was good fun, much better than Rock of Ages. I hope they're making ZC2.

«139 »