Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, this seems like the place for me.
210 games, value of $2200.91.
Still sorting everything out, but I'd say maybe 2/3 of these games I haven't put any substantial effort into.

Currently categorizing: Beaten, Unbeaten, Infinte, and gently caress This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Got everything sorted out...Of my 210 games, I have not beaten 127 of them. Welp.

I don't have a mouse available at the moment, so I'm going to begin Ben There, Dan That.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Let's do this.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I've recently decided to only keep 20 Steam games installed at a time. Partly so I focus on the games I've started, and partly because then I can set Steam to grid view and see all the stuff I have installed at once, nice and pretty.

Recent successes:

Beat Bulletstorm. Was not into this at first because I was hoping for more of an open Painkiller-y game instead of the super linear closed spaces of this game. But a few nights ago I got into it and played the last three quarters of the campaign in a sitting.

Beat Noitu Love 2. On easy, but gently caress if I have time to grind through it on normal. It's a really nice looking game and the way it controls is interesting, but man, combat is dull as gently caress except for boss fights.

Completed Ben There Dan That!. Never been much for adventure games. My new policy for them is to keep a FAQ up to consult any time I get stuck on something for more than five minutes. That carried me through the latter portion of this game.

Played a buttload of Crusader Kings II. Game can't really be beaten, but since I actually understand it enough to play competently, I changed it from "Unplayed" to "Null".

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Started the first Max Payne the other night since I never properly beat it. The game is a lot more difficult than I remember, and not in a fun way. Dodging is rarely advantageous since you have a recovery period to get up and start firing again, and the enemies are too defensive. There's no way to enter a room with a dude hiding on either side of the doorway without taking a few shots.

Also, you can't move while crouching. This isn't something that happened in other games of that era, is it?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Darkstar One became a joke between a few friends and I. As far as I recall, it basically consisted of very similar bandit hunting/cargo retrieving missions with little if any story involved. You might wanna just skip it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Just finished BIT.TRIP BEAT as well. Really didn't enjoy the final boss too much. The pattern recognition and rhythm of the rest of the game is gratifying, but the last boss is just reflexes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Finished both Lone Survivor and Home recently. Both interesting horror games. Lone Survivor felt like a bit of a let down at the end though. The "mental patient" thing seemed a little too obvious. Also, calling the boss monsters "Daddy" and "Mother"? Jesus, come on.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Completed LaserCat. Desura instead of Steam, but whatever. Cute, simple game. Does the Metroidvania kind of backtracking thing, but you don't actually gain new abilities, so it's more an issue of trial and error choosing paths than anything else.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

More of a defeat here...purchased Hearts of Iron 3 Collection from GamersGate, a game which I almost certainly will never learn to play.

e: beat Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter. Didn't get the achievement for doing so though?

coolskull fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 26, 2012

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Completed Adventures of Shuggy: Really liked the way this game plays with all its gimmicks. Got everything except the coop achievement.

Nulled Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble: Putting aside my dislike for the art style and setting, the actual game itself is just tedious. Click a thing. PLay one of these four to five minigames. One of the ones that kept coming up was entirely luck based. There's no way your skill or understanding of the game could effect the outcome.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat AVSEQ after picking it up in the IR bundle. I think some of the achievements might be bugged, otherwise I would go for a complete. Fun game any way!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Torchlight II. Was fun, not sure if I'm gonna go through new game+. Think I'd be better off making a new character, or waiting til Steam Workshop supports come and someone uploads a respec potion.

Beat Hotline Miami this morning after buying it last night. Really enjoying it, going after the achievements now.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

There is a thread actually.

I haven't played it for awhile since it's a bit slow for my taste. Gnomoria is where I go for DF-like gameplay.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Hell Yeah! Wrath of The Dead Rabbit. Was really fun, but the checkpointing was annoying. Let me keep the coins I picked up! Recollecting them is not a challenge or fun. Wish it had more achievements too, Seeing as how there are a ton of built in missions and completion bonuses it could give achievements for.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Completed Avernum: Escape From The Pit. By which I mean "did all three grand quests and got a bunch of achievements." Really enjoyed this, though I'm not sure I'll be able to play the other (older games). The design looks pretty atrocious.

One thing I did not appreciate about the game was if you complete the third grand quest without five brooches, you can't go back to Avernum and keep playing. You die right after accomplishing your mission. I don't think it was ever stated that having five brooches would be better than having four, just that you needed four.

e: VVVVVV 48 hours.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 12, 2012

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory. Bought on Desura ages ago, got a Steam key today and finally played it. Beat it in an hour and a half. It's a pretty fun game, regardless of the length. Will probably go for a couple more achievements and then write it off as complete.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ManxomeBromide posted:

BEATEN: Recettear. I had more fun with this than I really had any right to, and Endless mode is going to beckon for awhile. Also, I beat the game in the first loop, without using any exploits and without any particular savescumming beyond experimenting with the mechanics some. So I'm feeling kind of smug about that.

How quickly does the dungeon aspect of the game pick up? I just remember getting to boss rush on the first set of dungeons and not being able to progress any further in them.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

fwiw chrome was giving me malware warnings on backloggery the other day. nothing now though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Stealth Bastard Deluxe: Really liked the original, so I ended up flying through this. Very clever game.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Borderlands 2. Uninstalling it until I buy the season pass so I don't burn out on it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Completed Puzzle Agent. Ending was kind of a let down. I figured it would resolve everything and then the second game would be a different "case". Not so.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Nulled Eschalon: Book 1: I dunno if I'm just bad at speccing my character, but even using Cheat Engine to give myself extra money and experience this game moves very slow for me.

Nulled Gateways: Very nice looking and well put together game, But executing some of the puzzle solutions is aggravating, esp. the time travel ones. Giving it up on the last puzzle.

Nulled Darksiders: Just isn't clicking with me at all.

Beat SWIFT STITCH: A great example of a simple, difficult game. The style fits it really well too.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I was also using Cheat Engine to run it at a higher speed. Still p. slow. Playing as a mage or ranger makes combat an obnoxious bob and weave game.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Arkham City: I was expecting more from the final boss (of the Batman portion, anyway). I would really like it if, after a certain point, the game would give you more direction for the riddles. Still had a load of fun.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Lavatein posted:

Booster Trooper - 159 hours to complete... probably wasn't worth it. There's basically nothing redeeming about this game, nobody plays it, and it was a gargantuan grind to finish it off. So big it took longer than three years, the first achievements I got in it were so long ago it was before Steam recorded timestamps.

How and why on earth did you do this? :psyduck:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Turada posted:

Nulled: The Path

Didn't understand it, walked around in circles for a bit then quit.

This is a game I have a strange fondness for, so I'll lay out the structure if you ever feel like trying it again: You take each girl through the forest and interact with the objects/scenes there as a way of learning about the characters. For each girl there's one scene where interacting with it will "beat" that character's section.

It's slow as gently caress though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

My next Spiderweb game will probably be Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

You chose correctly! Be sure to check the Spiderweb forums first to read up on the balance issues.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Lavatein posted:

Gemini Rue - Really cool story, especially the final act with all the plot reveals, marred by quite clunky gameplay. Maybe it's because I just came out of the Blackwell series which is right click for look, left to interact, but this game makes you right click anything you want to interact with and then pick the relevant verb. There's almost always just one useful verb to use on something so this felt like an unnecessary extra step. I probably want to talk to that dude, not kick him. Every time you want to open a door you have to click it, use the open verb, and then walk through it. That's a pain, just let me click it once to go through. Anyway, the director's commentary was good and made me wish that companies other than Valve and Wadget Eye included them.

So are the Blackwell games much better than Gemini Rue? I've put off trying them because Gemini Rue was such a pain to play.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Colon V posted:

Wait, what?

They admitted that the first game didn't really hit what they were going for, so everyone who bought the first game got the sequel free. They're now sold as a bundle for the price of the original game.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

And bye bye to Vigil: Blood Bitterness too. Perhaps this was revolutionary back in it's day, I'm not sure. However in 2013 it's a point and click adventure without any of the characterization and humor that makes point and click adventures a blast.

I wanted to give this game a shot years ago, but the fact that it's possible to die and doesn't have quicksaves killed that desire. Sure, I'll be happy to go through that five minutes of text again because you didn't indicate that this particular bit of the environment is loving lava or something.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

COMPLETED: Driver Theory Test - A Text Based Rogue-esque game like no other, you choose your "vehicle" with a chance to unlock different "vehicles". I managed to complete the game, getting 35 out of 40 points, the miniboss for ABS Braking is a jerk. Not an actual game, it's one step close to me driving my own car.
You rear end in a top hat that sounded like a cool thing

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Crypt Worlds, the very strange first person hole pissing sim. First time I saw a bunch of the content but screwed up and got a bad ending. Second time I blew through it and got the good ending. I know there's at least a couple things I still didn't get to see, but I've got no idea how to get to them and gently caress if I'm gonna play a third time on the off chance I'll work it out.

Edit: VV Just a hint.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Psychonauts isn't that great now that we're past it, just watch a youtube of the milkman level.

Not gonna post a bunch of details right now, but I've beaten 46 games so far this year and only acquired 41 new ones. Progress.