Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Holy poo poo, and I thought I was bad.

So far I've got Children of the Nile, Borderlands, Massive Assault PR, Fallout: New Vegas, Singularity, M&B Warband, and Call of Pripyat - and I've already finished Singularity.

The problem is that New Vegas and Warband are going to take me months if not years. :ohdear:

I'm actually not sure what to play next; I just finished Singularity, and crossed off King's Bounty TL and Ultima Underworld 2 with the realization that, realistically, I'm never going to finish them. I have a lot of games in my backlog marked as "playing", but most of those are things I started a long time ago and then got sidetracked from, so I'd have to start over anyways.

Maybe I should just take the OP's suggestion and roll dice. :v:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

Fallout 3 for :10bux: :negative: Will roll failed.

I was able to resist getting Fallout 3 this sale. :smug:

Because I already got New Vegas and Call of Pripyat. :negative:

Guillermus posted:

Im going to start Alpha Protocol next Monday but have a question: Is it better with a gamepad? I have a xbox360 controller and i dont mind playing it that way.

The minigames are easier with a controller, the aiming is easier with a mouse. It's perfectly playable with either.

In either case, don't forget to check the Alpha Protocol thread for some INI tweaks that greatly improve performance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh goddamnit Steam, there I go on X3TC and NWN2. And Portal 2. And maybe Terraria.

Now all I need is for Witcher EE and Vampire Bloodlines to be dailies tomorrow and my failure will be complete.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I got so many huge games that will take me forever to finish during the sale. :ohdear:

So I'm playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth instead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Well I am playing Alpha Protocol and just finished Saudi. Saudi wasn't even too bad and I hear this game just gets better so that's exciting. How many hours is it to finish?

It took me about 15 hours my first time; you could probably do it in 10 by abusing stealth and chain shot rather than trying to be "properly" sneaky like I was.

Of course, that's just for one playthrough; I've spent closer to 50 hours on it than 15, and am planning two more playthroughs once I've knocked a few more games off my backlog.

Steam actually says I've spent 80 hours but I'm pretty sure it's counting that time the AP launcher ended up running in the background for over a day without me noticing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, I can finally cross Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth off my list.

On the whole, it was pretty good - more shooter than horror, but it still had a nice Cthulhuish feel and I certainly enjoyed it. It is, however, brought down by some nasty bugs on Win7; there's one level that is literally impossible to complete and another that becomes rife with instadeath physics glitches.

Now I just need to figure out what to play next.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cross Duke Nukem 3D: War of Attrition off the list; I haven't played every level in it, but I've played all the 3DR episodes and one randomly generated campaign.

It's actually lots of fun; does a good job of letting you feel that you're playing with forces more powerful than any mortal should handle. At the same time, the enemies ramp up quickly enough that the game never becomes easy. At the final level I had four bosses (and three Dukebots) following me around like loyal puppies as I spewed micro-nuclear rockets and implosion vortices everywhere, and it was still brutally hard.

I have to say, though, while it claims that it's meant to be played in random levels mode, I think the 3DR levels work a lot better, between the fact that you get to carry over weapons and the generally superior level design.

Next up: Fallout: New Vegas. This may take a while.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

Also, I've been told that HL: Blue Shift (which is next) sucks. Why is that?

The levels are kind of boring and, unlike Op4, it introduces no new enemies, weapons or design elements. It's not bad per se, but it's very much a letdown after HL1 and Op4.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cross Doom off the list. That one has a fair bit of history; I tried it back in the late 90s and was completely unimpressed. Between enjoying Painkiller more recently, the release of the Brutal Doom mod, and the 90s FPS Megathread, I was convinced to try it again and found myself actually quite enjoying it. At least until the bonus episode, Thy Flesh Consumed, which can gently caress right off.

And now, back to New Vegas.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ You've nailed pretty much every reason that I've finished Descent twice and Descent 2 not at all.

ManxomeBromide posted:

It didn't, but it also has some buggy drivers that can make it look much worse than it should. If you don't see the Statue of Liberty in the first five seconds of the game, you've hit a bug with the draw depth. Try switching the config to OpenGL mode instead of Direct3D and life will suddenly get much better.

A better idea is to install this updated DX10 renderer, if you have a DX10-capable video card.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

This is stuff you put in the progress notes of your "Now Playing" games (or any games, for that matter).

Have you got an account there? Updating that is a lot quicker than coming here to do so, so you could just slap your sig onto any post you make. :buddy:

I occasionally consider signing up for Backloggery, but then I consider how much fun it wouldn't be transcribing a 500-line game list into it one game at a time and decide I'd rather spend that time actually playing the games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

But then you have a list of every game you own on every console, so if you were to, say, sell them all or just compare games it would be incredibly easy.

The thing is, I already have such a list (in plaintext format). All putting it on backloggery would do is make it prettier. That might be worthwhile if I could just paste the entire file into backloggery and have it make sense of it, but if I have to manually add each game, not so much.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

It's not that hard. It's just the name of it and how far you think you are, even if that. You also don't have to put EVERY game you've EVER played or owned. I just put down my steam list (Because it is my main "backlog". I get done with most console games I get pretty quickly), and then added any steam or console games I got after I made the account. It took a few hours initially, sure, but it's gotten me motivated to play through games I normally wouldn't, anyway.

My Steam list alone is 300 games long. :(

Maybe I should write a program to upload game lists to backloggery...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chippy posted:

Please do.

A pox on all sites that do not have official APIs. Now it's just saying "that system appears to be invalid" no matter what I do.

E: it's working! It's kind of ugly, though, and requires you manually extract the cookie: header.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 28, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It works. :negative:

Script here. Requires Lua + LuaSocket. Read the comments at the start of the file for usage instructions, and don't forget to edit USER and COOKIE. It does assume familiarity with the command line.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chippy posted:

This is great, now is there any way of getting a plaintext list of your games from Steam?

There's probably a better way, but here's a quick and dirty script. Same requires as the above, produces output in a format that backloggery.lua will accept. Invoke as lua steamgames.lua steam-id.

Note that it doesn't understand categories or anything and reports everything as "READY" (which will map to "Unfinished" on backloggery), so you might want to save the output and edit it to mark which games you've finished before you upload them all to backloggery.

Also, backloggery.lua updated to understand "WISH" and "WISHLIST" as a game status, which will cause it to upload the game as Unfinished+Wishlisted.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, cross Doom 2 off the list. On the whole, I didn't like it as much as the first one; the greater enemy variety is nice but some of the levels are awful and the final boss is boring. I don't see myself returning to Doom at any point, but it was kind of a fun diversion.

I'm still working my way through Fallout: New Vegas; what should I be playing in parallel with it? I'm contemplating finishing up Blade Kitten, or perhaps another old-school FPS like RtCW.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bam, Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom leaves the backlog without ever entering Now Playing. There's still the bonus time-attack levels to do, though.

Unfortunately, while I was playing PBW, I was also getting the Humble Bundle mk 3.

:negative:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Migishu posted:

I have also updated the OP with a new header image (stolen from Reddit, but nonetheless relevant), the Backloggery profile customization that Zedd provided, and ToxicFrog's Steam > Backloggery conversion script.

Cool. :) That's only half of it, though (the script that takes a text file of games and uploads them to backloggery). The other half is the script that reads your Steam Community profile and downloads your game list in a format that the first script can read.

Here's updated URLs for both, which will be kept up to date as I work on them:

Steam download script
Backloggery upload script

If people are actually interested in these, I may look into writing a more user-friendly interface for them. Right now they're just quick-and-dirty command line scripts.

quote:

:siren:Anyone who hasn't provided a Backloggery or Steam profile link by the end of August will removed from the list in the OP:siren:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Edit: I am retarded and bad at HTTP. Disregard.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 8, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chinook posted:

How does one use these scripts? I'm good at double clicking .exes, but that's about it. :)

They're only usable from the command line, so if you aren't comfortable with that, the answer is "wait a day or two while I work on the more user-friendly version".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chinook posted:

Awesome, thanks! I'll be patient. :)

Here is the download, and here is the main github page. You will also need Lua for Windows to run it. (Migishu, I'd appreciate it if you could replace the link in the OP with these - the old script is entirely replaced by this.)

README.txt posted:

At the moment the only program in here that's really "release-ready" is
steam2backloggery.

To use it, just double-click on steam2backloggery.lua. It will prompt you for
the location of your Steam install - the easiest way to do this is to drag-and-
drop your steam.exe into the window and press enter. It will also ask for your
Backloggery username and password.

Once it has this information, it will download your game lists. This may take
some time depending on how many games you have, especially on Backloggery; be
patient.

Once it has the game lists, it will create a file listing all of the games it's
going to add (backloggery.txt) and launch notepad to edit it. Instructions for
editing it are included in the file. Feel free to use another editor if you
like, but don't close notepad until you're done.

When you close notepad, it will read the edited file and create entries for all
of the games listed there in your Backloggery.

==== NOTES AND LIMITATIONS ====

It won't add a game twice, so it's safe to run this whenever you get new games
on Steam.

All games are added with platform "PC" (not "Steam").

There is currently no support for Steam categories; all games default to being
added as "unfinished" regardless of which category they're in. This is planned
for a future version (along with a program to easily reorganize your Steam
categories).

It cannot distinguish between normal games, DLC, free trials, and beta tests;
all of these will show up in the list.

Related to the above, there's no way to permanently ignore a game. This too may
come in a future version.

I'm also working on some related tools; specifically:
- something for easily organizing Steam categories
- something that lets you download your Backloggery games to a text file, edit it, and apply the changes rather than going through the web interface

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 9, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zedd posted:

The script works great but it would be nice to have a choice if you want to dump your games in the "PC" or "Steam" backloggery catalog.

Per-game, or do you think it's enough for it to just ask once which platform you'd like to use, and then put all the games into that?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Working on it now.

Edit: and done! Latest version will prompt you for a category to use. It also has a configuration file, steam2backloggery.cfg, which can be used to pre-configure various settings (and thus bypass the prompts).

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd love to use that Steam adding tool, but it gives me this following error:

Any idea what could be wrong?

Didn't realize that if you drag-drop a path with spaces in, it'll add quotes. I've uploaded a version that should handle this properly.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 9, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

Crossing Recettear off the list (well, moving it to my 'Endless' games section). :toot: Took me 9 hours and one attempt to complete the main story without save scumming or any other trickery. I had a 'tiny' advantage since I played it in the native language a couple years ago, but that was less understanding and more random guesswork and button mashing. This game is quite fantastic and the translation is excellent.

Nine hours to complete the entire storyline, or just to pay off the debt?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, it goes kind of sandboxy after you pay off the debt, but there's still more dungeons and characters to unlock and more storyline to follow.

Going by Backloggery terminology, at this point you can probably call it "beaten" but not "complete".

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 10, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Conversations about hack & slash games on IRC prompted me to dust off Torchlight and give it another shot, but I'm only down to DL08 or so and already having a hard time bringing myself to continue playing it. I think I was right the first time when I took it off my backlog on account of not wanting to play it.

I'm still working my way through New Vegas - just finished the Dead Money DLC. I'm heading into the point in the game where I need to choose my allies. I'm also having a hard time not finishing quests, but I know I really should; I want to leave some for my second playthrough.

That said, I haven't been playing much of either because some utter bastard in the Steam thread linked to freeware tech demo Kerbal Space Program, which is horrifyingly addictive. I'm currently trying to design a SSTO liquid-fuel rocket that can get my little kerbanauts into orbit and back again without exploding, coming apart, ploughing into the ground at mach three, or leaving them trapped in space forever.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Any chance of a version that accepts plaintext / CSV files as input? In my specific use-case, I have my console game data in another program that I can dump from and format as needed; on the other hand, I'm ignorant in regards to webdev / Lua.

e: Oh, I see it writes everything to an intermediary text file anyway, that works.

Yeah, you can just run it as normal, then paste your whitespace-separated game list into the file when it asks you to edit it. I probably should put in an "upload only" mode (or write a separate program for same), though, if only so that it doesn't need to fetch the game list from Steam every single time.

Also, bear in mind that game filtering (so that it doesn't add games that you already have in your backloggery) happens before file editing, so if you're pasting in data from another source, make sure you don't have any games listed there that duplicate ones already on backloggery. I'll see about fixing that today or tomorrow.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

grimdarkkrieg posted:

By the way, found while trying to get my games up to BL that if user's steam profile is not set to public, the script doesn't find any games or wishlist items, so I added a small notification about it into steam2backloggery.lua when that happens. Here's the new script (Never written any LUA before though so my solution is probably something horrible!)

It kind of is (you're using deprecated functions from 5.0), but it's easily adapted into something non-horrible. :) Thanks for this.

Speaking of which:

:science: steam2backloggery update :science:

Homepage and README
Direct download

Changelog posted:

Features
  • EDITOR setting in the configuration file to change the default editor
  • IGNORE setting in the configuration file to maintain a persistent ignore list (for example, DLC and beta tests)
Fixes
  • "Now Playing" games will no longer be added multiple times
  • Games already on your Backloggery that get entered into the game list by hand will not be added again
  • Proper error reporting if it can't find any games on your Steam account (thanks, grimdarkkried)
  • More useful errors if something goes wrong downloading Steam game lists

Plans for the near future include per-game platform control and the ability to just upload games (eg, from a list your maintain) without downloading a game list from Steam first - either as a seperate tool or as an alternate mode for this one.

Longer-term plans include the ability to edit (not just add) games on your backloggery, and update Notes, Now Playing, and possibly other information.

I'm also working on a tool for easily organizing Steam categories; at present it's in "it works but it's ugly" state.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:psyduck: this may explain why I can't launch the Sam & Max games anymore. How the hell can that break things?

I'll look into a workaround; failing that, I can repackage steamtools so that it uses its own, internal Lua install that (hopefully) won't interfere with anything else.

Edit: there is not enough :psyduck: in the world for this, but here's a workaround.

Short form: unset the LUA_PATH and LUA_DEV environment variables.

Long form: Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables -> Find "LUA_PATH" and "LUA_DEV" in the list and delete them both

steam2backloggery should continue to work after you do this, and now your Telltale games should start working, too. This is persistent across logins, so you should only need to do it once.

If someone can figure out how to make a batch file or powershell script that launches sam & max without needing to fiddle global variables, I'd appreciate it. I'm not good at windows.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 18, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

Ick. It must be loading the wrong libraries, and thus not finding its own. That's pretty close to Lua or Java's equivalent to DLL Hell. That's more :doh: than :psyduck:, imo.

Considering that Lua and all scripts are baked into the game (or possibly into some archives in Pack/data/), it's more like releasing a fully statically linked program that stops working if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set. They pretty much had to work extra hard to get this to happen; if you're doing this sort of thing "properly" LUA_PATH never gets involved in the first place, and it's worth noting that TTG's games are the only ones I've ever heard of failing this way.

quote:

To unset stuff in a batchfile, simply assign the empty string.

(Caveat: I've only tested the general case here, not interaction with TTG games specifically. I don't have Lua available on this system just now.)

After some testing and discussion on IRC, it looks like this won't work for my copy, because it's launched through Steam (even if you run sammax*.exe directly), and Steam sets up the program's environment by reading the environment configuration straight out of the registry or something, with the result that any environment tweaking you do in the shell before launching it is simply ignored. It might work for the non-Steam version, though.

Furthermore, attempting to patch the game executable directly causes it to fail some sort of validation on startup.

So, until Telltale releases a patch, the only option appears to be to remove LUA_PATH from your environment entirely.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, finished off Guild Wars: Prophecies the other day, and I'm rapidly coming up on the end of Fallout: New Vegas. I've also evicted Torchlight from my backlog permanently.

I'm thinking I might try Alien Legacy next, if I can suppress my urge to remake it in a more modern engine. Apart from that, I'm not sure what to play next. Edit: no I'm not, the patch for EYE has dropped, so I think it's time to play that.

Morter posted:

*The only other games my Now Playing includes is Darkstar One and Starscape.

I'm so sorry. :ohdear:

Edit: New Vegas finished! There's at least one more playthrough in there somewhere, but I think that can wait until all the DLC is out, and I feel alright marking it "beaten".

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 19, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

Oh, it's fine. I actually like/play those two games, though I hit a slight wall with Darkstar One.

Also, how do you beat Guild Wars, which I assume is an MMO?

It is an MMO, but it's a very story-focused one.

Each campaign (Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall, plus the "mini-campaign" Eye of the North and episodic campaign Beyond) has a well-defined storyline that you can play through, presented as a series of cooperative missions scattered across the continent. These are interspersed with the usual explorable areas and side quests.

Completing all of the storyline missions marks that campaign as "finished"; you see the final cutscene, get a title, unlock Hard Mode and a bunch of nasty high-level dungeons, and so forth. So it is entirely possible to "beat" individual Guild Wars campaigns.

Getting Complete on them is much, much harder, though, because once you finish the main storyline that still leaves:
- Hard Mode missions
- Vanquishing (go to each PvE zone in hard mode and kill everything)
- Endgame dungeons
- A shitload of side quests, some of which have Hard Mode versions as well

And, if you want to get really insanely completionist
- All skills
- All unique weapons and prestige armour
- All titles

Which is why I'm pretty sure I'll never mark any part of Guild Wars as "complete".

Mmann posted:

Does it get any better once you get into the Flames of Vengeance or is it just more of the same?

FoV is mostly set in and under a city; although stuff is generally pretty open, it can't match the wide expanses of the first act.

Personally, I loved it, but I was playing a dual-wielding melee cuisinart.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 19, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tortolia posted:

Do a replay after as a completely different type of personality and enjoy. AP falls into the class of games you need two at least three and probably more like 5-10 runs to really complete.

Fixed a typo for you. :) I'd say you have to at least see the three main archetypes (one of them as Veteran), and even once you do that there's still lots of stuff to uncover - I've beaten it three times and I figure it's got at least two more playthroughs in it, with specific endings I want to see if I can arrange.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

codebot posted:

I like games that let you sneak, but don't penalize you to the point of INSTA-LOSE if you decide to do some parts guns-blazing. And Alpha Protocol is exactly that.

The great thing about AP is that it rewards you no matter what you do. There's pretty much no situation where you go "well, my Thorton would probably act like X here, but unless I act like Y instead I lock myself out of $AWESOME_REWARD".

quote:

Not sure how long the game is overall, but I feel like I'm probably already halfway to two-thirds done with it. Glad to finally be making some progress through my backlog!

The game has four hubs - Saudi Arabia, Rome, Moscow, and Taipei - plus the prologue/tutorials in the Greybox, and the endgame. So if you've done Saudi Arabia + one other hub you're probably a bit less than half done; if you've done two hubs you're more like 2/3rds done. (If you've been switching between hubs before finishing them it becomes harder to judge.)

Of course, it doesn't really kick off until you start your second playthrough with a different Thorton and realize how differently everything plays out and how much stuff you missed the first time through.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Is there an easy way to mass-remove games I have on my Backloggery, by the way? I literally don't own half of the games I have on mine anymore and haven't updated it in ages.

Not yet. I'm working on it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I tag games like that as "null", but it's kind of annoying because null now contains at least six distinct categories of games:

- Games that can technically be beaten, but where that's not really the point (Everyday Genius, AaaaA)
- Games with no win condition (Audiosurf)
- Games with no win condition yet (Kerbal Space Program)
- Multiplayer-only games (TF2, Battlefield)
- Games that I haven't finished but no longer want to play (Braid, And Yet It Moves)
- Games that I want to play but can't (RTCW)

And the only way to distinguish between them is with notes (which doesn't help when filtering) or by bastardizing the ownership field (which is misleading).

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 21, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Why can't you play Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Just kinda curious.

I have a recent video card, RTCW crashes on startup while trying to set up openGL. Apparently this is a known issue with both nV and ATI cards released in the past few years. There's a fan patch (1.42) that's supposed to fix this, but either the crash it fixes is something similar but unrelated, or it just doesn't work.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dflanny posted:

How many of you have actually 'completed' your games? None of mine are complete as it says you need to have beaten it on all difficulty levels and gotten all achievements. I never do that. Once the credits roll, it's done as far as I'm concerned.

I've done a few - mostly games with little distinction between "beaten" and "completed", like Myst, but also System Shock, Strike Force Centauri, some of the Metroid games, etc.

All in all I've got 14 Complete, but 197 Beaten and 262 Unfinished, soooo...

Lamacq posted:

I agree with you, I think the way backloggery defines "completed" is absolutely insane. I don't think I have ever in my entire life 100%'d a game on the hardest difficulty or gotten all achievements.

:confused: But that's the whole point of having seperate "complete" and "beaten" categories? You may not enjoy 100% games, but some people do, and in a lot of games the distinction is marked enough to be worth distinguishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Eh! Frank posted:

I don't mind "Complete" and "Beaten" being separate so much, but I still wish they'd split "Uncompleted" into "Unplayed" and "In Progress" or something. I have so many games I haven't even played yet, let alone come anywhere close to finishing, so I'd like to be able to keep track of ones that I've started and ones that I haven't tried. Being able to see the distinction would make me feel better about my backlog (or possibly worse, depending on what the ratio of unplayed to played actually is).

Oh, definitely agreed on that one - and splitting Null into, at least, "don't want to play" and "no win condition" would be nice.