Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
All right, I'm in, this is me. I have a backloggery account under the same name, but I haven't updated it in a while.

I have a little under 200 games, of which 20 are in my "Finished" category. I have about another 30-40 installed in various stages of completion.

I think I'm gonna start with JC2 and GTA: Episodes because they're both fun, easy to pick up and put down, and have been in my backlog forever. I'm only about 20-30% into JC2, and have finished one of the two GTA episodes. After that I'll just go pick something randomly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I went from 24% complete through JC2 to 27%!! :thumbsup:

I probably shouldn't have picked Epic Extreme Dicking Around Simulator for my first game...

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Well, I got about another 13ish percent done in JC2 (I'm planning on keeping it on the front burner until I get horribly bored and/or get the 75% achievement), but I finished two completely unrelated console games in the meantime, so I suppose that's something!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I finished both JC2 (finished with about 78% done, was satisfied with that) and GTA:Episodes.

I'm sort of conflicted about what to play through next. For some reason I got stuck on the idea of playing the games taking up the most space on my hard drive, which would mean The Witcher's up next, but I've started that game twice and always run out of steam partway through. My save is sometime in late chapter 2, but I haven't played in months so I'm kinda vacillating on whether I want to start a new game.

It's either that, Alpha Protocol, or the Ghostbusters video game. I can't decide.

I also spent some time updating my backloggery and now it looks worse than ever. :(

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I've been fairly productive on my backlog - decided to go on a Tomb Raider spree and completed everything up to Guardian of Light (playing it now, it's awesome). I also finished Ben There, Dan That, which I should've done a long time ago as it's clever and, most importantly, short!

I'm also restraining my knee-jerk reaction to buy the Ubisoft pack this weekend - I keep telling myself no more games (with minor exceptions) until I make a much more significant dent in what I already have. Though I did impulse-buy Bit.Trip.Beat. :doh: At least it's fun!

I think after I finish up GoL I'll hit up Time Gentlemen, Please! while the first game is fresh in my mind, and then The Ball, since I started it but stopped probably halfway through.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I've been doing well since my last post, finished about 7? 8 games? Tomb Raider: GoL, Time Gentlemen Please, both Mafias, Ghostbusters, and Overlord 2. Oh, and Lego Batman. I enjoyed all of them, though a couple got kind of tedious at times (Overlord and Mafia, I'm looking at you).

In my mission to get rid of games I already have on my hard drive before installing new ones, my current top choices are The Witcher, Alpha Protocol, Divinity 2:DKS, and Metro 2033.

I've started all of those games at least once, but barely played any of them, with the exception of The Witcher. I've started it twice and randomly stopped both times - I have a save somewhere in late Ch. 2, I believe, that I haven't played since September. So I don't know if I should start over or not, seems like kind of a slog. Maybe I'll just do it and put the difficulty on easy mode for babies so I can zip through it.

Any particular recommendations?

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
http://backloggery.com/shannrd is me, add me if you like! My backloggery is current as of a couple months ago, I need to add a bit more (steam sales! GoG! Terraria! :argh:) but not until the site stops being hammered.

I've been on vacation for a while so I haven't been able to do too much work on my backlog other than a couple DS games.

At the moment I kind of want to get back to my renegade run of ME1 and 2, even though I've played through them both already. Can I still count it? :ohdear: Other than that maybe I'll try playing through Singularity or finishing Red Faction: Guerilla. I don't know much of anything about Singularity, is it pretty short? RF:G was getting kind of repetitive.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

On top of that, instead of playing through games I haven't yet beaten, I've been going back to Oblivion.

This is me, only with Mass Effect games. :sigh: I keep trying other games but nothing is sticking... I got Fallout: NV when it was on sale, too, and I think the sheer amount of things to do in that game + the different choices is almost like overload for my compulsive gaming habits.

That and I'm finally trying to get through a game of Deus Ex, after 2-3 aborted attempts. At least this time I got through the first level!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Hemish posted:

How you guys been doing on this sale? So far I was able to restrain myself and only make one purchase, Darksiders.

I've been buying almost every daily sale game (that I don't already have) that's under $5 bucks, I can't resist the siren call.

But I did finish Fallout: New Vegas, finally. Finish 1, buy 8 more, that sounds about right! :v:

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Well, I've only spent $10 over the last three days of sales, so I'm doing much better. Though I'm tempted by a couple things today and have a HUGE loving list of cheapo indie games I want to buy before the sale ends, so, :sigh:

In backlog news, I decided I'm just going to play through my games in alphabetical order, so I can then sort them out into my Finished, Favorites, and Junk Drawer categories. Of course that means I'm now playing Amnesia, which I can only play so much of at a time before I just need a drat break!

After that is Aquaria, which I've started and given up on twice. Maybe this time it'll take.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm gonna post this here too.

my backlog hates me

I'm not even going to post mine because it's embarrassing given my already massive backlog, but it's relatively close to this. I averaged out about $5 per game, so it could be worse, I suppose. I feel better telling myself that Steam is really the only thing I splurge on, I'm pretty frugal otherwise. :gbsmith:

But! In good news, I finished Amnesia and Aquaria and I'm now about halfway through Anomaly Warzone Earth (surprisingly fun, by the way). Apparently the alphabet method works for me.

I really want to get my backloggery unfinished percentage under 50%. That's my goal.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

This is me.

After charging through every game I own on Steam that starts with A (Amnesia, Aquaria, Alpha Protocol, And Yet it Moves, Anomaly Warzone Earth, ARES, and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood), I started on B, finished The Ball, then got stuck and demoralized when trying to beat the last boss in Bit Trip Beat. So I sort of abandoned that idea and am working my way through all the little indie games I've picked up on the cheap. It's been pretty fun.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm thinking of doing a platformer and a puzzle game to take a break from doing RPGs. Should I do ARES, Blade Kitten or NyxQuest, and Puzzle Dimension, Tidalis or Yosumin?

ARES is wicked short, according to Steam I only played it for 2 hours and finished it. It's not too bad. Should be easy to kick from your backlog.

I'm sort of doing something vaguely similar with my backlog lately, picking out one big budget game (still Fallout: NV for the moment), one puzzle game (currently Puzzler World, it's very shovelware-y but some of the puzzles are fun and it cost me one whole dollar), and one adventure game (just finished Scratches and started working on Sam and Max). I bounce between them when my attention span wanes.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
It would be kinda nice (in theory) if backloggery had a selection for "unfinished and probably will never be finished because I hate it" for the games in my junk drawer. I like having my list be as complete as possible, crap games and all.

As far as I go, other than Bastion which I caved and bought (so glad I did :swoon:), I haven't been able to settle on anything. Nothing's really striking my fancy at the moment. I should probably just play one of the monster huge games that I download, play for a little while, then abandon to take up space on my hard drive.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo the ending to Cryostasis.

Hey, I finished that game this morning! I can't give it exactly as much of a ringing endorsement since I was completely sick of and irritated by the combat by the end of the game, but I totally dug the atmosphere and the :wtc: story. Worth picking up on sale, though I suppose in this thread I shouldn't be encouraging people to add stuff to their backlogs!

I've been doing pretty awesome lately, no purchases since Bastion. And I've ripped through a ton of my backlog. Got through all of Sam and Max Season 1, Serious Sam:TFE (holy poo poo, that last level was intense), Jolly Rover (I had stopped like 30-45 minutes before the end, of course), Mini Ninjas (dragged on a bit too long, was bored with the repetitiveness by the end), Who's That Flying (pretty fun poor man's shmup, worth the $2 I paid, but not groundbreaking or anything), and the aforementioned Cryostasis.

Now I'm playing DarkStar One and having a surprisingly good time with it. There's something fun about flying around and blowing up space pirates, despite the fact it's super easy and you do it about 400 gazillion times. I also downloaded Dark Messiah and Evil Genius to mess with when I get bored with that.

So yay, progress! I may finally get to my goal of having <50% unfinished games! 2.8% more to go! :v:

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

water cannon

Yeaaaaah, about that, I didn't actually know that was such a good weapon until after I finished, so I never used it. :suicide: So I was indeed thoroughly sick of shooting by the end of it! Not that it was hard, exactly, it just got tedious. Was still worth it for the atmosphere, though.

But anyway! I'm already getting bored of DarkStar One (I shot enough pirates that they got really mad at me and now greet me in every system I jump to, which gets annoying). So I may just try to power through the story to get it done.

I think I'm craving some sort of sandbox game.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Just Cause 2

I have played it! And loved it all. I think the only sandbox game that I have that's unfinished (that I can think of) is GTA: San Andreas, and by unfinished I mean I never beat the last mission before my PS2 horked and quasi-died.

Or maybe Red Faction: Guerilla? I think I stopped a little less than halfway through it, but I haven't played it for about 6 months so I don't know if I feel like starting over.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
^^ is Bookworm Adventures 2 mostly the same as the first one? It looks very similar from that screenshot. I own the first one, finished it forever ago and liked it (I think it was one of the first games I bought on Steam), but I'm not sure I want it enough to spend money on it if it's a slightly tweaked clone. Maybe I'll throw it on my wishlist if it ever goes on an insane sale.

Since my last post I decided it was finally time to get around to Dragon Age: Origins. Though it didn't really grab me like Mass Effect does (no idea why, I like space?), had Bioware's usual cringeworthy romances, and felt kind of disjointed to me sometimes, I mostly enjoyed it and put a lot of hours into it. I liked how everything wasn't as black and white as it often is in ME, and loved when the characters talked to each other while I was wandering around (my favorite part!). I finished the base game and one of the small expansions, and will probably do Awakening and the other little campaigns once I give it a bit of a rest.

I also finished Sam and Max S2, the first episode of S3, and DarkStar One. I tried Dark Messiah Might and Magic for a while but aside from the hilarious ice physics it's not really doing anything for me so far, so I don't know if I can stick with it.

Oh, and I finally broke my very long no-game-buying streak - the daily deal for Bound in Blood tripped me up. :( That's all, though!

No idea where I'm going to go from here. Maybe finally finishing Witcher or Metro 2033. Who knows.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I've been away from my desktop for a couple weeks with probably another couple weeks to go, so I haven't been working on my backlog at all. Anyone have any recommendations for not very intensive laptop-friendly games?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shannrd/ is me, for reference on what I've got to work with.

I've also had a really lovely last few days so I'm currently fighting the urge to treat myself and impulse buy Psychonauts (even though I own it on XBox) and Costume Quest. I also totally impulse bought Orcs Must Die. I'm hopeless!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Opus125 posted:

Stop buying games?

:frogout:

Man, I finally got back to my gaming PC after... a VERY long time away from it, and I have so much poo poo to catch up on. All I've been doing so far is playing SR:TT and Binding of Isaac, though. I keep telling myself I'm going to quit after every BoI death and then just keep playing it.

There have been way too many good bundles lately, my backlog is crazy bloated now, not to mention still having to throw all the new bounty on my backloggery. I'm going to try and hold out until the Christmas sale now, though.

I did finish off Sequence (and got all the achievements), I honestly enjoyed it a lot, but I'm a complete sucker for any kind of rhythm game which may color my opinion, of course.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I finally got all the achievements in Binding of Isaac, burning myself out on it in the process, and slapped it in the completed pile. It's a definite recommend, especially while it's on sale. I didn't really think too much of it when I first saw it, kinda bought it on a whim as we often do, and it's a massive amount of fun for the small amount it costs.

I'm going back to my original plan of just starting at the top of my steam list and working my way downwards - I was sick of seeing the Bit Trip games eternally at the top, mocking me. I finished B.T Beat tonight for the first time (I like the game in theory but playing through an entire 12 minute level to get to a round of pong is terrible), and made a valiant attempt at B.T Runner. Unfortunately that game is like.. a black hole miasma of fun for me. It had some moments, but on the whole it is my anti-fun. I'm three levels from the end and I'll be damned if I give up now, but good lord does it make me want to pull my hair out.

I also played through Beep, which was a mostly fun physics platformer with only one lovely set of ice-themed levels. It took me about 3-4 hours to play through, not bad for two bucks.

Next up is finishing Blocks that Matter, which I'm looking forward to.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
So after picking up another 30ish games or so between the Steam sale and GoG's sale, I'm done. Officially. My :airquote: New Year's Resolution :airquote: is to completely stop buying games unless my Backloggery unfinished percentage goes under 20%, ideally even less. Just with one small caveat that my current wishlist games are exempt from this, but ONLY if they go on sale for at least 75% off and/or are under 15 bucks for the more recent AAA titles. I have no idea how long it's going to take me, but I'm sure as hell gonna try to climb this huge backlog, dammit.

I finished a couple games recently, The Blackwell Legacy (short but decent), WH40K DoWII Retribution (surprisingly fun but was kinda disappointed that the campaign is basically exactly the same for all races), and Puzzle Agent 2 (a fun way to spend a couple hours). Next is... I have no idea, I'm kind of overwhelmed with my selection!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I've finished a whole bunch of games since my last post: Jamestown, Blackwell Covergence and Blackwell Unbound, Alice: Madness Returns, Hard Reset, Cargo!, and Capsized. I enjoyed them all for the most part (with the possible exception of Capsized, that got relatively boring and repetitive by the end). Jamestown was the standout of the lot. Very, very fun, appropriately challenging, and a killer soundtrack.

I also am considering myself completely done with New Vegas now that I've seen most of the endings and finished all the DLC.

Next up, I'm considering finally finishing the drat Witcher (I checked my post history and I think I've said this same thing in three older posts but never did it!). It eternally sits mocking me, taking up space on my hard drive. However, I checked today and I haven't played the game since September of 2010. :ohdear: I don't much want to start over, seeing as how it would be my third go-round and I remember enough of the prologue to make it tedious to do again. Will anyone help to point out the major stuff I should know if I think my last save is somewhere in mid-to-late chapter 2? All I remember of chapter two is a swamp. I'm sort of afraid to consult a wiki and spoil myself.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

My past self posted:

Next up, I'm considering finally finishing the drat Witcher (I checked my post history and I think I've said this same thing in three older posts but never did it!).

This time I succeeded! :toot: Three separate (years apart) attempts, about a million crashes, a ton of clicking, and one of the first games I ever got on Steam is finally done. I liked it, even though the combat was pretty unengaging.

No idea what I'm going to play next - believe it or not I have an untouched copy of Skyrim installed and ready, but I'm afraid if I start that I'll basically get sucked into a black hole and never finish any other games.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

ManxomeBromide posted:

Portal is a classic, and I'm astounded you haven't finished it yet.

As well you should be, since I have! Just for some reason didn't have it marked correctly in Backloggery. :haw:

Thanks for that awesome informative list, though! I've half-started a lot of the games you mentioned, but for one reason or another ended up throwing in the towel. I didn't find Magicka a ton of fun playing by myself, so I kinda gave up on it. And I got stumped by both Blocks that Matter and P.B. Winterbottom, maybe I'll go back and power through those before I get sucked into another RPG.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I'm doing pretty well on my resolution - the only game I purchased in January was Bejeweled 3, and that fell under my stated exception.

Unless you count a couple of iPad game apps that I bought before I realized 'hey, this counts!' and stopped doing that as well.

Since my last post I finished a couple of games (Sonic Adventure DX and Rock of Ages) but then I fell into Skyrim's trap and haven't played anything else since. I may not play anything else ever again, at this rate!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Well, I finally consider myself finished with Skyrim, at least for the foreseeable future (after 120 hours!!!). It wasn't perfect, and I coulda given or taken the story, but I loved the exploring.

I tried Total War: Shogun 2 and couldn't even get through much of a single campaign on easy. I am terrible at it. I usually am terrible at RTS games, I shouldn't be surprised, but it was kind of depressing. And I can't do what I usually do with RTS, which is cheat like a motherfucker (I'd rather not use a trainer).

I also played through Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I liked it for the most part. I did a nonlethal run and most of the time it made it more intense and fun, except for one level where it was just a pain in my rear end. Also, the boss fights were even more terrible than I was mentally prepared for. But, enjoyable on the whole.

Next up, I've got the Missing Link DLC for that game, then I think either LA Noire or Avadon.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I'd been doing great on my backloggery, was somewhere in the low 40ish% incomplete, then a couple of days ago I had the great idea to update it, thus adding in all of the games from around Christmas, and shot back up to 53% incomplete. :doh:

I've been playing L.A. Noire off and on and it hasn't clicked with me yet. Between the random crashes setting my progress back and my insatiable need to 5-star every case, I haven't been able to relax and enjoy it as much as I probably should. I wish the game had manual saving, though I mostly understand why it doesn't. The famous-people-as-character-models thing is surprisingly well done, though.

I think after this it'll either be FEAR or RAGE. Capital letters, gigs, and guns. I'm kind of in the mood for shooty.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Finished: To The Moon: It may be because I have a heart of shriveled black coal, but it didn't do anything for me. No game has greatly affected me since Nier, so I guess that's a high standard to live up to. It wasn't bad, it just didn't resonate with me.

Just finished: Prototype 2: I wanted to like this game. I did like this game. The juxtaposition of the half mournful, half angry protagonist with the wanton gleeful carnage of everything else was a bit jarring, but the gameplay was great. However, the crashing and graphical glitches kind of ruined it for me. I fought exactly one Goliath that wasn't invisible, could rarely summon my horde without the game wigging out, and regularly crashed during mission-ending cutscenes. I liked it enough to get all the way through it and the side missions despite all that, anyway.

Null(??): Defy Gravity Extended: I think I have to throw in the towel. The satisfaction/frustration ratio is getting too skewed in the wrong direction. I don't know how far I am (somewhere in the set of levels after you get the Grand Master achievement), but I've struggled with every level since then and finally gave up.

To play: ? Don't know what to play next. Tried to play GTA:SA but I find the controls on the PC hilariously awkward, even after I went to the effort to set up Joy2Key. I have a copy for XBox still kicking around somewhere (hell, I still have my PS2 copy, if my PS2 still worked :(), I'll use that if I feel the need to.

Maybe I'll play Lego Batman 2. I always enjoy the Lego games, though I played both Lego Harry Potter games relatively recently so I'm a bit Lego'd out.

I'm super excited about the last episode of the Walking Dead, though, so there's something!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Finished: Hotline Miami. The soundtrack alone was more than worth the price of admission. Frustrating at times but still quite an intense experience, especially when played all in one go.

Completed: Mark of the Ninja. Holy poo poo, was that an amazing game. One of my favorites in a long time. As soon as I completed it I immediately went back and did the NG+ as a nonlethal run, and that made it even more fun, which I didn't know was possible. Got all the achievements, too. I loved everything about it (well, except the story, but that was forgettable at worst) and wish there were more games like it.

Currently playing: Dark Souls. Oh lord, what have I gotten myself into. I was determined to stop and completely give up at the (boss name and location spoilers) Gargoyles, had to ragequit twice at the Capra Demon, wanted to curl up and die during Blighttown, and yet I keep soldiering on (in Anor Londo now). It's so bizarrely compelling, I don't know why I should like it but I do. I can play for hours and hours and not even notice the passage of time.

So many good games lately, goddamn.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Well, since I finished Dark Souls (twice, and then a quick barrel though half of a third to finish off 100% achievements... goddamn what an amazing game), all I've really done is play iPad games and a million hours of Borderlands 2.

I finished my first run (of BL2) a few days ago as a Gunzerker, started my second in True Vault Hunter Mode, but I'm kind of getting sick of it now. It feels like way more of a slog this time around, and it doesn't seem too wonderfully balanced for single player, which is kinda what I'm stuck with (no gaming buddies :qq:).

Plus I have so many good games waiting in the pipeline, I may just dump it and maybe go back to it after a break. I kinda feel like something relaxing and/or puzzle-y. Maybe Lego Batman 2!

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Last time I posted in the thread, I was struggling through TVHM solo in Borderlands 2. I eventually powered through due to Gibbed's save editor making the game fun again. I started another playthrough in co-op (playing a Siren), but it's been sporadic, so I'm turning my attention elsewhere.

Completed: Lego Batman 2. Took me ~20 hours to fully 100% the game. I love collecting things and am usually kind of a sucker for these games, but this one was seriously dragging by the end. I don't really know why, either, since it's the least amount of time it's taken me to 100% a Lego game. Maybe it was a function of the new open world design and the completely terrible flying controls, I'm not sure. It looked great and I was pleasantly surprised by the voice acting and humor, so I can't complain too much.

Also, why was Supergirl the reward you get for getting all the gold bricks? Of all characters?

I think next up I'm going to go with Giana Sisters or maybe some sort of adventure game lightning round. I have at least 10 to get through. Last one I tried was Still Life - got stuck on the stupid cookie baking puzzle back in June and never went back.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Whole lotta game finishing up for me:

Beaten: Unmechanical - slightly under 2 hours. Got both endings. It was pretty clever, though I was never stumped, and a couple of the puzzles were uninspired (like Simon puzzles). It was decent for something I got on the cheap in one of many indie bundles.

Beaten: Gateways - ~3.5 hours. Now this made my brain hurt, particularly once the time gun came into play. I had a tough time wrapping my brain around it. I had to use the in-game hint system for a handful of the puzzles and I'm not even ashamed of it, since most of the time the solution was baffling. Once you could use all the guns together my brain basically went into overload. In a good way, though, I suppose, since I enjoyed myself.

Completed: Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory - 1.8 hours. With the true ending. This game was fun, cute and relatively easy. I liked it, though I was kind of over it by the last world.

Beaten: Blackwell Deception - ~3 hours. I enjoy this series, the plot is fairly interesting and the mechanics work generally well. I got stumped a couple times but mostly through my own ignorance of game mechanics (forgot you could combine notes/right click to examine things). Didn't really dig the vaguely cliffhanger-y ending, though, but I never like those.

Beaten: Deadlight - ~3.5 hours. I had rather low expectations for this, so finding it clunky but sort of competent was somewhat of a pleasant surprise. I would've preferred more climbing, jumping, and evading, and less shooting and zombies (sorry, shadows), but it wasn't too bad. Though I don't feel like going back for collectables, and no way in hell am I attempting Nightmare Mode.

Completed (100%): Closure - ~8 hours, though I'm not sure if that's accurate since I had some issues with it not terminating properly. Once I got past some minor technical problems, it was great. I very vaguely remember playing the original version of this on Kongregate, and wow, has it come a long way. I managed to get through the entire game without needing hints (I looked up a couple of moth locations, but stopped needing to once I realized you could hear them) and found it to be just about the right amount of challenge. I zipped through the little girl's levels and struggled a bit on the woman's and the end gauntlet, but I was never stuck for an unbearably long time. The only bit of frustration I had came when I knew the exact solution but kept making dumb mistakes in the execution (last level, I'm looking at you). And the box physics were a bit wonky. But otherwise this far, far exceeded my expectations.

I actually think I got every one of these games in an indie bundle, now that I think about it. Except Gateways, which I bought for a buck sixty-seven.

Next up I'm not too sure, I installed Dishonored so I'll probably get to that soon, but I may try to knock out a few more of these relatively quick games first.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
So I beat a bunch of stuff! Then I went back and finally fully updated my Backloggery to be accurate to my current Steam load and ugh, there's still way too much. But I beat stuff!

Dishonored - Two playthroughs, one low chaos, one high. In hindsight I shouldn't have tried for a nonlethal full stealth run on my first playthrough, but I love stealth games and thought I'd enjoy it. I mostly did, though I probably would have appreciated it more if I'd played it a bit more organically. I didn't even end up getting the ghost or shadow achievements because I'm a goddamn idiot who thought chapter one was 'the prologue' and thought nothing of getting spotted during my escape. At least I got the achievement for not killing anyone. It was pretty satisfying to be able to go full blown psycho and murder the poo poo out of everyone the second time, though.

Anodyne - I had absolutely no idea what was going on in the story in the slightest. The entire thing flew miles over my head. Mechanics were all right, jumping can bite me, and most of my boss fights consisted of no-strategy ramming wildly into them to kill them before they killed me. Level design was extremely rad, though. Didn't care enough to keep playing the post-game.

Dead Pixels - Played a bit over an hour, enough to run through each campaign once (the first on normal, and the others on easy after I wised up) and uninstall it. Got it in a bundle. Pretty terrible. Ugly. Nothing original or fun about the concept. Gameplay was boring. Not quite as bad as Bunch of Heroes, but it's up there.

Thomas Was Alone - Now this was my kind of game. Oozing charm, lovely voiceover, clever but not overly difficult gameplay. Who knew a bunch of differently colored rectangles could have so much personality? Would definitely recommend.

Bioshock Infinite - Columbia is beautiful and rushing around the sky rails is amazing. Some of the story moments were quite intense. I'm still kind of conflicted on how I feel about the ending, but overall it was a hell of an experience.

Also finished: all the episodes of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (just okay, except for episode 5, which was great), Satazius (boring and finished in 45 minutes) and Offspring Fling (cute, but not anything earth-shattering). Finished a few console games too, though I don't really know if it's relevant: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC), Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii), and Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii).

Right now I'm playing GTA: San Andreas and it makes me so happy, I forgot how much I liked this game. I never finished it at release because my ps2 crapped out on me right on the last mission of the game, and I currently own three copies of it, so hopefully I will finish this time! If I can stop farting around doing side missions for more than 5 minutes, that is.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
After having the game since release, I finally finished Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. 100%, too! I have a lot of nostalgic memories and love for this game, getting through it 9 years later took a bit of the shine off my rose colored glasses, but there's still so much to like here. There's so much to do! Almost too much! My major issues were realizing how incredibly goddamn awful Supply Lines still is, and how long it takes to drive anywhere once you initially leave Los Santos. But the radio is my absolute favorite of any game.

Others beaten in my lightning round (a bunch of pretty quick ones, and at least half of them were already half done): Beyond Good and Evil, Penny Arcade etc Episode 3, Zen Bound 2, Your Doodles Are Bugged!, Xotic, Waveform, Unstoppable Gorg, Vessel, Toki Tori, Tobe's Vertical Adventure, Titan Attacks, Still Life, Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles, and Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis. Can you tell I started at the end of the alphabet and played all my randomly installed games?

Nothing too exceptional stands out in either a positive or negative way (well, other than BG&E, which was excellent). They were all at least serviceable. Except for the last five minutes of Still Life. That ending was bullshit of the highest order.

A couple extra that I wanted to mention more in depth:

Tidalis - Holy poo poo, if anyone has this hanging around in their backlog and thinks it'll be a quick time waster, think again. I didn't think to check howlongtobeat and had no idea when I started that it would take me over 14 hours to complete the story mode. By level 50 I was getting kinda bored, by level 100 I had turned the handicap up to max easy because I was over it, and I think by the time it ended in the 120s(?) somewhere, I wanted to die. It's kinda too bad in a way because I did appreciate how they constantly changed up the gimmicks, but it just went on way too long.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - This game is amazing. I love everything about it, and I've barely played the games these characters are from. I'm not even a huge cart racing fan, but this hooked me good. I'm even trying expert! Of course, I can only stand to do a couple at a time before I need to quit for a while, but I'm getting there. I really want that last unlockable character!

Lego LoTR - I love Lego games and this was generally no exception. I'm a fan of the series, it's charming as always, and the new mechanics introduced were mostly clever. However, I had a lot of weird performance issues that kind of detracted from the whole experience. I've gotten 100% on every other Lego franchise game and planned to do the same here, only the game completely bluescreen crashed my computer during a loading screen, and when I loaded it back up, I had gone down from 90-something percent complete to 75%, and no loving way I'm doing all that collecting again. I don't like it that much.

Next, no idea. I'll probably finish up the other Sherlock Holmes games I grabbed in the groupee bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Darksiders 2: Beaten: I don't remember much about the original Darksiders, other than thinking it was fun but derivative, and Darksiders 2 is much the same, but slightly worse. I enjoyed the hacky-slashy combat quite a bit, but I didn't care about the story and thought almost every dungeon dragged too long, and the game as a whole overstayed its welcome. I stopped bothering with most sidequests and item hunting halfway through and it still took me 30 hours to finish (including the DLCs, which were fine but added nothing particularly interesting). All in all, gets a big meh.

The Cave: Beaten: Finished it twice, so I've seen most of what it has to offer. I like a lot of this game, the concept, the setting, the narration, and the little vignettes about each character. But it kinda comes apart at the gameplay level. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had some kind of 'teleport my buddies to me unless they're trapped' button. It does do it at certain points but not frequently enough, and dragging all three characters through the same sequences gets tiresome, especially since you're intended to beat the game, what, 5 times? And they go up and down ladders and ropes so slowly. :( It'd also be nice to be able to skip or streamline the sections that are the same in every run once you've played them once. I originally intended to play the game to 100% completion, but the longer I go without playing, the less interest I have in the idea.

Brutal Legend: Completed: I liked this a lot more than I was expecting, bothered to get 100%. The whole thing was pretty original. I wikipedia'd afterward and was impressed by the voice cast and the design of the characters compared to their real-world counterparts. Although, I kinda wish Jennifer Hale hadn't voiced the love interest. For some reason, ever since Mass Effect, if I immediately recognize her voice, which I do most of the time, it kinda ruins my immersion? I don't know, it's a weird irrational quirk of mine. The gameplay was mediocre but serviceable, the RTS bits kind of a snore. I didn't need much strategy during those segments, just sorta ran around with whatever units I felt like spawning in and never had an issue with any of them.

Rogue Legacy: Completed: I was sorta hoping this would be the next Binding of Isaac for me (still my most played game on steam by over 50 hours), and it's not, but I liked it for what it was. I did three playthroughs, enough to unlock all the equipment, runes, and achievements, and called it done. It got kind of samey but there's something charming and fun about it that keeps you going. It's also very easy to pick up and put down for short gaming sessions or if you're sitting around watching junk on Netflix or Youtube.

Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed 3. I'm three missions in and already getting annoyed with the bullshit full sync requirements, so I think I'm going to skip them for my sanity. It's kind of boring and climbing stuff (my favorite part of an AC game) in Boston doesn't thrill me a bunch... and knowing how it was received I'm not expecting much, but I grabbed it for 13 bucks on Amazon and I'm a fan of the series so I figured I might as well give it a go. It kinda runs like poop on my aging computer, but that's not too surprising. So far the highlight is petting as many different animals as I can find - also hilarious because half the time the animation breaks and Haytham puts his hand inside or ten feet away from what he's petting. Wanna pet a pig.