Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lurchibles posted:

People just don't get how addictive this game can be. I gifted a copy to my girlfriend when it was in the Christmas sale and she spend over 7 hours on it on the first evening alone. Fantastic game.

I know what you mean, I gifted my girlfriend Portal and PvZ during the Christmas sale. She has sunk about 70 hours in to PvZ since then and still hasn't finished Portal. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I suppose I should post in here as I now have about 95 games on Steam.

What does everyone think is the best way to organise them? I think if I organise them well I will be more inclined to finish a game before starting a new one.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Luisfe posted:

Shamefully, fell again. Dragon Age Origins for 2.5 bucks was too good to not take advantage of.

But it wasn't no Steam so it doesn't count, right? :ohdear:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I just finished The Ballad of Gay Tony bringing the episodes to an end. Spent about 12 hours on each but they are not 100% or anything close.

Perhaps Mirror's Edge will be next as I hear it's pretty short. I feel I'll get a lot more done if I start with the short ones.

No one has any tips on grouping steam library's?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Substandard posted:

I'm so close to being done with this! It's been on my list for like a month and a half, but I got distracted my 204 hours of RIFT (which I think I'm done with now) and some Terraria (my most recent shameful purchase).

Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty great but I'm having some technical issues with slowdown (particularly while driving) that screwing with the graphics settings don't seem to really fix. It's not unplayable, just annoying.

As far as grouping goes, I just use favorites (like 5 games I play a lot, TF2 etc.), and currently playing (my 1 game I am supposed to be playing) and leave everything else in a mass except a small hidden section of things I don't want in my list.

I tried genres but it's tough to know where to put some things and it caused more problems than it solved.

Some of that slow down can be alleviated by closing your browser. I found that if I left Firefox open while playing I would get more pronounced slow downs and eventually the game would go from 40-60 fps to 25 and stay there until I closed it. I would still get some jittery behaviour from it jumping from 40-60 fps at time though.

Yeah that's the grouping I might go with actually. I want a group for the game I'm meant to be playing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm now using something similar to most of you. I have:

- Favorites. For what I'm currently on.
- Combined Launcher. For things like addons etc which you don't actually run.
- Finished.
- Multiplayer/Endless.
- The rest just stay in Games.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Add me Goons!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mr. Saturday posted:

Second, just beat Mirror's Edge. I've gotta say, I'm happy to get it out of the way. It starts off just like it should, there's a good flow to the first couple levels, then it just inexplicably TANKS. I spent a great deal of time trying desperately to figure out where to go, and a lot of times dying to cops because of the broken timing on weapon disarms. It just got more and more frustrating the more I played of it. It's a TON of fun when it works, but so much of the map design just defeats the purpose of the game.

Worst of all though, the vent crawling. Why, why, WHY is there vent crawling in a free-running game? :minus:

I'm playing through this at the moment and agree with pretty much everything you have said. It's not very good. The shooting mechanics are so, so bad. There are too many vents. The story is boring. etc. :bang:

EDIT: And I'm finished. gently caress that game.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 6, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hitting F10 blew my mind. I totally didn't know you could get the original art! :aaaaa:

To be honest I was a bit bored getting to Monkey Island a few months back so hopefully I have enough enthusiasm to finish this time.

Also the original theme is my ringtone/alarm tone. :neckbeard:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
You might be looking for the normal Steam thread and not this one.

I have added Assassin's Creed II to my now playing list. Although if I get more save game bugs there is a good chance my effort will flounder. Wish me luck!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Guys the summer sale is coming up. We must be strong! Fight those delicious tempting urges. :pcgaming:

I am making my way through Assassin's Creed II pretty nicely, I'm 21 hours in including 3 wasted save-game-bug-hours. The story isn't much longer than that is it?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

Resist the tempation, brothers. Add 0.0.0.0 store.steampowered.com on your hosts file. Be strong.

But I just installed an app on my phone to tell me when my wishlisted games go on sale on Steam. I'm doomed!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I really see what you guys mean about Assassin's Creed II overstaying its welcome. 28 hours in and it's still going. When will it end? The last three major assassinations I have really had no idea how they were connected to the story now I'm saving some kids for some lady? :wtc:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

From Earth posted:

That's one of the two DLC sequences. There's one more after this one (set in Florence), and after that you're off to Rome. The finale itself can be completed in less than an hour, but the second DLC sequence is quite long from what I recall. I'd say two or three more hours in total.

Well it's all done. Pretty good overall except for being too long, repetitive, having a cheesy story, consolitis, non-skip able cut scenes and really weird stealth mechanics. Took me 34 hours according to Steam but 2-3 of those were wasted with the save bug.

Also :wtc: was that ending?

Also funny that magnetic pole changes actually do occur throughout earth history, they aren't pseudo-science like that jackass guy says they are.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 28, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
With Assassin's Creed II done I'm going to clear out some of the Indie stuff I have. First up: The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom.

Hope it's not too long.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been pretty loving weak. Report:

Back To the Future
Bit Trip Beat
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate
Civilization V (From GamersGate)
Dawn of War II: Retribution
Magicka

I said I was only going to buy games on my wishlist this sale, only three of those are from my wishlist. :negative:

Also I am doing these silly achievements even though there are probably only another two DLC things I want (redeemed MoW:AS and Fate of the World so far). But I'll just keep on doing them...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lurchibles posted:

Don't worry, they'll catch you when you least expect it. A friend or someone will point out how "awesome" one of the new games on sale is and you'll fall victim to it... No human can withstand Steam Sales. They're like crack. Only more moreish.

It's true. I would have been two days in a row with no purchases if it wasn't for that drat Alpha Protocol. Although I'm not getting anything today. Nothing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I am playing Alpha Protocol and just finished Saudi. Saudi wasn't even too bad and I hear this game just gets better so that's exciting. How many hours is it to finish?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

thegloaming posted:

First up is Wolfenstein 3DMein Leiben!

In a similar coincidence I just finished Spear of Destiny. It's strange I found the second to last boss harder than the last. Also the final hell level was really easy.

Next up maybe Metro 2033 or I might continue finish my second AP run.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Yodzilla posted:

Welp I played through Critical Mass. A decent little puzle game I guess but there's nothing about it to break up the soul crushing monotony after a few levels. At least it's not impossibly hard anymore after the patch.

e:

I just started trying to play Spear of Destiny and I don't think I can do it. It's boring, the levels are repetitive and confusing, and it kinda hurts my eyes and makes me nauseous. I did find out however that if enable mouse control while using the keyboard to move if you move your mouse forwards you can run at double speed.

I played it using the total conversion for GZDoom. This means you get all the awesome features of GZDoom but it's still really authentic. Check it out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Tell me there are dance quick time events in Deus Ex!

I'm getting through Metro 2033. Apart from the annoying and difficult parts and slew of bugs (including crashing on startup till I reinstalled PhysX) it is pretty fun. It looks amazing and feels like it is the first game to actually tax my computer. I also don't mind that it is on rails because it does it well, kind of like an interactive story. Gives me the creeps at times though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So I just got to the Library in Metro 2033 but I am out of filters. It would have been really great information to know that you can only buy them right at the start of the game as I really don't know if I'll be able to finish this level.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tolain posted:

I had the same frustration at first, but found out that they pretty much throw filters every place imaginable. search corpses, nooks, shelves, etc and you should find one within 5 minutes. Also theres a shitload of places you can safely take your mask off. I kept forgetting to do that and ended up worrying about suffocating in safe zones. They almost always give you refills before you go into the gas.

You don't understand. There is no way I can kill that thing and then run to get a filter before I die. I have tried like four times. I have even resorted to using trainer (don't work) and cheats (again, don't work). There is no way I am starting again.

Who thought that the filters were a good idea?

EDIT: I some how made it to Archives, I literally ran the entire way including past several Librarians.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 5, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I just finished Metro 2033. I got the bad ending at first as I didn't get what I was supposed to do so I replayed the last part to then get the good ending as I had enough moral points.

All in all it was a very good game. Probably the most atmospheric game I have played due in a big part to the incredible graphics and great sound. Quite a few bugs though and the whole gas mask thing and checkpoint saves were pretty annoying a lot of the time.

I think if anyone here is about to play this they should read the "What you should know before you play" for it and also buy as many filters as you can right at the start!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just finished Mafia II. Pretty disappointing.

Steam tells me it took 13 hours but I didn't really explore the city much as I heard there is nothing to do. Checkpoint saves just piss me off to no end.

It really is a very pretty game and runs very well, also the only crash I had was when I quit after beating it. Also the music was pretty great.

Anyone want to suggest something to me? I feel I should play something that isn't super linear considering the last two games I have played have been this and Metro 2033.

http://www.backloggery.com/redfred

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kennel posted:

Just Cause 2 is the obvious answer.

Besides that, you've got a ton of great games waiting (Batman AA, Hitman BM, Deus Ex, Half-Life 2 + episodes, Pirates!, Civ IV etc. etc.)

Does Just Cause 2 really have a story though? Like I'm tempted to null it because the story is terrible.

Pirates! and Civ IV don't really have stories do they? In the sense that you 'beat' them.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I just finished Just Cause 2 story missions. I will leave in my sandbox category as it is fun to play every now and then but I don't see my getting 100%.

Overall the missions were pretty fun even though I imagine it would be a chore getting enough chaos without my super speed rocket boosters. :v:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zedd posted:

22-09 Beat - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Steam)
21-09 New Game - Metro 2033 (Steam)
18-09 Beat - Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (Steam)
16-09 Beat - Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (Steam)
12-09 New Game - Rock of Ages (Steam)
11-09 Beat - Borderlands: Claptrap's Robot Revolution (Steam)
09-09 Beat - Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot (Steam)
09-09 Beat - Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy (Brwsr)
08-09 New Game - Borderlands: Claptrap's Robot Revolution (Steam)
08-09 New Game - Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (Steam)
08-09 New Game - Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot (Steam)
08-09 New Game - Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (Steam)
08-09 Completed - Borderlands (Steam)
02-09 Beat - Portal (Steam)

Pretty good month so far; Portal was replayed but still. :3:
Time for playthrough 3 of DEHR and I have also started playthrough 2 of borderlands with friends.
Going to do the BTTF games next as well.

This is some good work man. I had a great month as far as clearing out the backlog goes also. :hfive:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just finished Batman Arkham Asylum: GOTY Edition. Overall I thought it was great, looked amazing and had great voice acting (except for Batman! What the gently caress? When he shouts "Noooo!" at the electrified water part, terrible.)

Some frustrating sections and it was kind of annoying back tracking all the time but compared to other games that do that it wasn't really a big deal. I finished it on Normal with 75% completion.

Next up: Should be HL2: Episode II but I really want to get in to Portal 2 and Deus Ex: HR is a really good price. :ohdear:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry to double post but just polished off HL2: Episode II. Feel like I'm really making a dent in this backlog of mine, hope my studies aren't suffering for it though. :ohdear:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just finished Portal 2 last night and it was fantastic. I guess spoiler tags and avoiding the game's thread worked as I had no idea about the story. I recommend those few people that were like me and put off playing it to get on it now!

I feel this last two months has been great for my backlog. In September I finished 4 games and so far in October I have finished 4 games also! Although I have exams very soon so that will all halted.

Next up though:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Contingency Plan posted:

Finished The Witcher. What a long-rear end game. I did most of the side-quests, but still. I'm going to pass on a second playthrough to see how the other choices turn out when I can look at the game guide that came with it for a summary. Decent game mechanics, and the plot kept me interested although my favourite part was it was the overall saltiness of the universe with its frankness on subjects like sex and racism towards non-humans. The game's got me interested in reading the books it's based on, which speaks of its effectiveness as a licensed product.

Also, skip the "extra adventures" or whatever the one-off stories that come with the Enhanced Edition are called because they're dumb and boring.

I sort of started the Witcher the other night however I'm really not sure I'm going to like it. I'm almost an hour in (however 70% of that was intro movies and un-skippable cut scenes) and I'm fighting that mage guy. Should I persevere?

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm working through Alpha Protocol currently, and it's really fun. Don't know how it sat in my backlog as long as it did. When I'm not playing that, I'm playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and PoP is a game that could benefit from a save anywhere system. Really frustrating to get through a long part, get stuck in a room, then run out of rewind sand and have to start all over again. Ugh. And it controls like crap with a kb+m.

I also started PoP and feel the exact same way. It's pretty clunky especially with no windowed mode being available by default. There is a work around though.

I feel that after all the great games I have played in the last two months that these average-good games just aren't going to hold my interest. :eng99:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
After a couple of great backlog clearing months I had uni exams which basically stopped any progress. I'm 30 hours in to DA:O and starting to get a little bored.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I finally finished Dragon age and what a relief. Don't get me wrong it is a pretty good game it's just very, very long and feels like one giant fetch quest.

Are most Bioware games pretty similar in story and combat? A friend keeps telling me to play Baldur's Gate 2 but if it's like Dragon Age then I'm really not sure I'm up to it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Dragon Age is like the Infinity Engine games with training wheels. BG2, especially is a much more diverse and complex game.

I'd highly recommend playing BG1 with Tutu installed before BG2, though.

Well my usual RPG comparison is to Ultima VII: TBG so with that regard DA didn't do very well as the world was relatively dead. But I guess comparing open-ended to non-open-ended isn't that fair.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Decide on a limit for yourself based on the maximum number of games you want to add/how much you want to spend. Put that in your Steam Wallet and erase your saved card information. Unless you have a really weak will, it should keep you in check.

Yeah I'm going with must be on my wishlist and at least 75% off for this sale. There may be some exceptions but I'm not going to fall in to that goonish "Buy this game or you're a bad person!" bullshit that always happens during sales.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alucard posted:

drat you Steam. I'm really tempted to get DNF, because it can't be worse than $5, right? Right?

Don't do it! JESUS MAN! :stonk:

Have some respect for yourself.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Currently working through The Witcher 2, very slowly mind you. I'm not really sure why because whenever I do play it I have a great time but I just find it hard to motivate myself to actually boot it up.

Also playing a lot of Orcs Must Die! which is a lot of fun even though I'm finding it a little hard in some parts. From all that I read before I played most people found it to be too easy.

Almost finished Sid Meier's Pirates! and played this exclusively for about 2 weeks but haven't managed to finish it off recently.

Finally playing The Binding of Isaac when I want to play something for 10 minutes max or want a change from the above two. Not playing on "finishing this" anytime soon as I understand it's random?

I feel like my progress has taken a huge nosedive after I smashed thorough so many games at the end of last year.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just finished Wolfenstein (2009) on Hard. It was pretty good actually just as a straight shooter. However somehow I missed the very ending where Wilhelm Strasse appears from the rubble and screams like a wolf. I think I hit enter too soon.

It clocked in around 7 hours which I thought was pretty good as the first half almost over stays its welcome. I can only think of three or four really frustrating parts and otherwise it was a pretty easy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Xik posted:

I've been playing around with creating a backloggery alternative.

The basic idea is it's backloggery without the social elements (comments/multitap etc) as I'm completely not interested in that. I guess it would be for those who only use backloggery as a glorified todo list. Automatic importing of steam games is done, it's easy to use, just put in your community profile url and it imports all your games, if the game already exists in your list it will update the hours played. The main thing though is that I wanted more categories, the lack of categories on backloggery has come up a few times in this thread.

So, would anyone think they'll want to use such a site? What categories would you like to see? Any feature requests (keeping in mind it's focused more on being a "todo" list)? It currently has an option to enter hours played and can be updated from steam but I'm thinking of dropping that as I'm not sure if anyone would want to tediously track hours for non-steam games. Also, it's kind of depressing to see :smith:

Anyway, backlog progress: pretty much none. I'm still bitter about not being able to finish Stalker: Clear Sky because of a crash/save game corruption. Spent the weekend playing Path of Exile and also games of Neo Scavenger

I saw that no one even replied to your post which I thought was a bit poo poo. I would be interested in something like this as I find the BL ui a bit clunky at the best of times and have no interest in the community features. Are you still working on this?